• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2 vids from a year ago. compare old and new playstyles

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
This should go in the video thread. This thread needs to be closed.

why should this be closed? this is a discussion about how DK's metagame has improved by comparing old and new playstyles. this isn't just a "watch my DK" thread.

and plus we have too many stickies, they tried to help us by stickying everything but that just gave us less activity and no new threads for quite some time.

I'm going to make a guide that is them all in 1 so we can have some breathing room. its really bothering me.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
why should this be closed? this is a discussion about how DK's metagame has improved by comparing old and new playstyles. this isn't just a "watch my DK" thread.

and plus we have too many stickies, they tried to help us by stickying everything but that just gave us less activity and no new threads for quite some time.

I'm going to make a guide that is them all in 1 so we can have some breathing room. its really bothering me.
Your right, i just noticed the huge amount of stickies. A thread linking to all the important threads would be useful.

Also, this isn't much of a comparison if you compare it to a HRC. You should have posted a recent match.

And you can't really compare old and new metagames with videos, its mostly comparing how that person improved.

The idea is good though.

daisho

Smash Lord
Honestly, DK doesn't look much different.

Obviously we are getting better with comboing (like D throw to Ftilt at low percents) and we know some more advanced techs... but really DK does not look as though hes changed much.

You used Up B offensively (though mostly just to punish).

You used double bair.

I noticed this a while ago when the old combo videos included alot of the same things as the new ones.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion

I think the only difference is, the more options people register, and reading people better.

and that really doesn't show much metagame. It hasn't moved much.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the major difference isn't really in dittos, which is why a dittos match is a bad example.

The metagame around certain matchups (Olimar is my new favorite matchup) has changed a lot, dittos are always just dittos though, they always suck.

EDIT: compare it to something more recent and you notice a pretty big shift http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMEghMdNv90

^ that's a friendly vs one of the random yoshis out here, not the best example because i didn't grab the whole match, and grabbings like 40% of my game, but still. also he didn't save any of the two/three stocks >.>

Luigi player

Smash Master
my playstyle changes ever now and then. I keep lerning new strategies in matchups and try out new things. one of the new things I do is running off the stage and uairing. I uair a lot now compared to some time ago...

I still have the feeling I'm getting better nearly every time I play. ^^

Drizzt6195

Smash Apprentice
I have more the impression that I stay the same for 1 month then suddenly I'm just better using more moves, with better spacing

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
DK's metagame has come a long way. Though he hasn't evolved as much as some other characters have.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK's metagame has come a long way. Though he hasn't evolved as much as some other characters have.
DK's meta game has evolved from using bair, side b, and B, to reacting to everything on command with UP B, Grab, or d Smash. +bair/tilt spacing

but to the second part of what you said, it sucks there are only 6-7 placing DK's at large tournaments. that's why it hasen't has evolved as far as others. but it is nice to know that we have pushed it as far to be considered as good as some of the top.

me and ook have called the best and I know we have lots to work on, esppecially since we don't agree on any stages that give DK an advantage :lick:

-me
-ook
-bigfoot
-cyphus
-Bum
-CBK
-?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
WTF?

You have Bigfoot on there but not Jmex?! LOL
why are you lurking?

his stuff this year

7 of 36 at Palmdale Bi-Weekly - 1/3/09
17 of 32 in Amateur Bracket at SCSA West Coast Circuit #3 - 3/28/09
25 of 32 in Pro Bracket at SCSA West Coast Circuit #3 - 3/28/09

17 of 97 at Quiznos Presents Brawl IX - 3/29/09

^ this is the only noteworthy thing

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Okay. What about Bigfoot?

Jmex quit Brawl for like 2 months and now he's back. He's better than Bigfoot with DK, pretty much everybody in SoCal will agree with that statement.

No offense to Bigfoot though. Bigfoot is still pretty good with DK but not as good as Jmex.

O. I lurk here because i like 5th DK. LOL

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
@ samuelson, I dunno, I tied with him last tournament (5th), and all the players we both played said I was tougher with the exception of bardull, who said we're both about equal but jmex used the upb trick on him (didn't know it was yoshis only at the time) once I told him it was stage specific he said it was dead equal, meaning he doesn't want to make a decision

EDIT: jmex was out for 2 months and I was out for 6, bit of a time difference too

Double EDIT: Jmex is really good when he lands his ******** spikes that shouldnt't work though

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Ripple your playstyle seems just like mine. I love doing reverse SH B to a bair. I actually learned that from bum and captain jack from melee. The only difference is that I almost never down B and up B a lot more. In about six months I might be able to attend more tourneys and get my DK out there.

Top Bottom