• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.1 Popularity Tier List (Copy-Pasted from Smods)

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
STOP POSTING YOUR 2.5 CHARACTER LIST. THERE WILL BE A NEW THREAD MADE ABOUT THIS IN THE FUTURE. FOR NOW I WOULD LIKE THIS THREAD TO BE USED FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT THE 2.1 RESULTS AS WELL AS DISCUSSION ABOUT HOW CHARACTERS SHOULD BE CHOSEN OR HOW YOU PERSONALLY CHOSE YOUR CHARACTERS. ANY RESULTS POSTED HERE WILL BE IGNORED FOREVER, UNLESS YOU ARE POSTING THEM TO DISCUSS WHY YOU CHOSE THOSE CHARACTERS. THANK YOU.

Here is my 2.1 pop. tier list data. This is copy pasted so I'm sorry if the formatting looks bad. I'll likely edit it to be more readable/scanable soon.

The Popularity Track List - Project M Version 2.1
RESULTS CLOSED FOR 2.1! Please wait until 2.5 comes out. I will be making a new thread for the same subject but based on the 2.5 roster. Sorry if I didn't get your data! Please take some time and check out the official results!
I want to start this project finally and get it rolling, so any help from Dev's or other players/forum users would be greatly appreciated...

Likewise I would ask that if the mods have an issue with this thread please PM me before closing it, as I would like to work something out rather than get rid of the thread. I think this thread will eventually be of interest to the dev's of P:M and other players in general.
THREAD START:

I would like to record the consistency with which the players of P:M pick their main character. Here is how this will work. You reply to the thread with 4 pieces of info: Your smash name, your main, your secondary main, and a tertiary character that, whether or not you play, you really enjoy. Please do not use any character that are not in the CURRENT public release! For me the reply will look like this:

Ellondu
Main: R.O.B.
Secondary: Mario
Tertiary: Toon link

(Updated to be my real info)

DO NOT EDIT YOUR POST! I MAY HAVE ALREADY ENTERED YOUR DATA!!!! IF YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR CHARACTERS AFTER THE INITIAL POST, MAKE A NEW POST!!!!!!!!!!

I will record all of this and make several different records. I will keep a record of what percentage of players use each character as their main, secondary, and tertiary characters, resulting in one chart with three different columns. However, I will also keep a fourth record. There will be a point value assigned to each a character each time someone lists them as their main, as their secondary, and as their backup (tertiary. I will refer to it as backup char from now on). Obviously the character will receive more points for being a player's main than being its backup character. Eventually we have a unique tier list formed: a popularity tier list. Fox may be the best (not saying he is this is just a hypothetical) but maybe Game and Watch is the most used main.

I will also keep track of which players have submitted their info already. If you post a second time to boost a characters popularity rate, I will notice. However, if in the future you change characters, then by all means make a NEW reply and I will update the list (I.E. remove the record of your past characters and update it with the new info). I would actually prefer you to do this at the end of each release cycle.

I will keep all of this info for each release. I may not get enough info to do this in 2.1 before 2.5's release, but eventually 2.5 and all subsequent releases will have these records, kept by me.

Some may ask, is this really important? No. However, it interests me greatly. Not to mention no one will be doing any work here but me, so it shouldn't bother anyone that I am doing this. If the mods/devs have a problem with this, let me know. Please try to get everyone to post here for each release so that I can get as much info as possible. Thanks everyone!

Let me be clear!
I want you to post your characters now and then at the 2.5 release! This will not be a post your characters every 10 days thread! This will be a post your characters when you are comfortable with them and then update with your characters at the release of the next public patch! Thank you!

TLDR:

What are your 3 most used characters, in order? NO MULTIPLE CHARACTERS IN ONE SECTION. If you have two mains, three secondaries, and a backup listed, I will use the first two mains and the first secondary as your three character, in that order. Don't be ambiguous if you don't want me to misinterpret your post. Don't double post or I'll find you. Thanks guys!

Overall Results for 2.1! (by overall popularity):
Popularity Tier List 1 (Taken with 100 overall records)
1 - Marth - 46 points
2 - Ness - 38 points
3 - Link - 38 points
4 - Fox - 34 points
5 - Charizard - 33 points
6 - Lucas - 29 points
7 - Ike - 28 points
8 - Falco - 28 points
9 - Lucario - 28 points
10 - Mario - 26 points
11 - Wolf - 25 points
12 - Sonic - 23 points
13 - Luigi - 23 points
14 - C.Falcon - 23 points
15 - Peach - 21 points
16 - Wario - 17 points
17 - Shiek - 16 points
18 - Snake - 16 points
19 - Pit - 15 points
20 - Zelda - 15 points
21 - Bowser - 14 points
22 - Jigglypuff -12 points
23 - Ganon - 12 points
24 - R.O.B. - 10 points
25 - DK - 7 points
26 - D3 - 7 points
27 - Pikachu -6 points
28 - Toon link - 5 points
29 - Shielda - 3 points
30 - GW - 2 points

Now, I know these do not 100% accurately represent the community, but I did my best in the time available. The results for 2.5 will be more accurate, as I will have much more time and (hopefully) more data. Please take these results with a grain of salt. Thank you!

Overall results (by main):
1 - Ike - 8 mains
2 - Ness - 8 mains
3 - Link - 7 mains
4 - Lucas - 6 mains
5 - Sonic - 6 mains
6 - Marth - 5 mains (13 secondaries: this is why is he number 1 overall)
7 - Charizard - 5 mains
8 - Falco - 5 mains
9 - Lucario - 5 mains
10 - Luigi - 5 mains
11 - Wolf - 4 mains
12 - Fox - 3 mains (8 secondaries)
13 - Peach - 3 mains
14 - C.Falcon - 3 mains
15 - Wario - 3 mains
16 - Zelda - 3 mains
17 - Pit - 3 mains
18 - Bowser - 3 mains
19 - Mario - 2 mains (8 secondaries)
20 - Sheik - 2 mains
21 - Jigglypuff - 2 mains
22 - DK - 2 mains
23 - Snake - 1 main
24 - Ganon - 1 main
25 - R.O.B. - 1 main
26 - D3 - 1 main
27 - Pikachu -1 main
28 - Toon Link - 1 main
29 - Shielda - 1 main
30 - Game and Watch - 0 mains

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
applies to both 2.1 and 2.5

Smashtag - JBro

Main: Ganon
Secondary: Link
Tertiary: Zelda

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
eh, my post will still be the same at that point. It's been that way since I started playing the game competitively and don't see it changing anytime soon. I really like the new characters n' all, and most of the great changes to others characters I still pay attention to but usually only play with casual friends. But those 3 are the only ones I'm most comfortable with taking to a competitive scene. If I had a 4th choice I'd add Falcon but that isn't possible.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I play Link and Ike. Their popularity makes me not want to play them anymore though. :l
Seriously? Seems a bad reason to stop playing a character.
I am so glad Ness is played a lot. Maybe his meta game will progress a bit!
I honestly don't think my mains have changed. Diddy's fun but I realize I won't be able to use him to his full extent training on CPUs. I'm gonna drop him till I live closer to a tourney-active area where I can practice with real people.

:phone:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Main: Zelda
Second: Toon Link
Tertiary/Backup: Peach

But I like, never use anyone besides Zelda

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Main: Link
Secondary: Ike

Seriously? Seems a bad reason to stop playing a character.

Yeah, seriously. It's not sufficient reason for me to actually stop playing the characters though (yet).

I play Ike and Link because they're just simply my favorite characters in Brawl. FE:poR is my favorite game, and OoT and MM are up there too (I loathe TP though). I played both characters in Brawl when they weren't popular.

Young Link and Mewtwo were both scrapped from Brawl, so the only main I could carry over from Melee is Mario, but I'm afraid that will mess up my Melee gameplay due to the new Brawl ATs like RAR.

I also wish that training mode was more useful. There should be a CPU DI up/down/left/right/away option and maybe a record feature.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Even if they're popular. If you like playing them then go ahead. Don't let other people's opinions affect you. You sound like a teenage girl. "EEEEEW! Sandy's wearing the same shirt as me! I CAN'T BE SEEN IN THIS!" :/
Play Tink, maybe. He's better, faster, stronger, and built to last longer compared to Young Link. Fun to use, and now with 2.5's buffs, a force to be reckoned with.
I main Ness. When I mained him I didn't even know what game he was from. I just liked his play style. That was years ago and now I love Mother! I'm glad others play as Ness. It means he'll hopefully have faster meta game progression and higher series recognition. There's something Mother in the works. So maybe that's a reason that Ness love sparked? :p

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Even if they're popular. If you like playing them then go ahead. Don't let other people's opinions affect you. You sound like a teenage girl. "EEEEEW! Sandy's wearing the same shirt as me! I CAN'T BE SEEN IN THIS!" :/
Play Tink, maybe. He's better, faster, stronger, and built to last longer compared to Young Link. Fun to use, and now with 2.5's buffs, a force to be reckoned with.
I main Ness. When I mained him I didn't even know what game he was from. I just liked his play style. That was years ago and now I love Mother! I'm glad others play as Ness. It means he'll hopefully have faster meta game progression and higher series recognition. There's something Mother in the works. So maybe that's a reason that Ness love sparked? :p

I never played more than one Dungeon in WW so I would feel inappropriate playing him. :_

I also developed a deep-seated hatred for people that obsess over Fire Emblem and Darkstalkers characters without ever having played their games.

Also I hate the name "Tink", it makes me think of "Twink".

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
You're a strange fellow. Just play any character.
Should you not play a new series because you've never played as that character before? Take a freaking chance sometimes. Toon Link is such a fun character and he's just a quicker Link with some better moves. Yink 2.0!
Also upsetting you can't finish more than one dungeon in one of the best Zelda games there is. (IMO. #2 on my list)

That's also somewhat strange and ignorant. Just because they don't know the character from playing the game doesn't mean they can't love their character design. Kinda like I did with Ness. That was one reason I originally played him. He had a very interesting character design so I was drawn to him even though I usually played as Link in 64. He looked so... average.
I loved Mr. Saturns without playing the game or even knowing what game they were from for years. I may not have obsessed over them. But Smash is kind of a gateway game into other games. So many franchises being presented. Just jump in and have fun with all the characters!

People really need to learn to read the OP and to see that 2.1 AND 2.5 applications are not being accepted.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
For real. OP here: STOP POSTING YOUR CHARACTERS. I will make ANOTHER thread in the FUTURE from right when you are reading this. That NEW THREAD will be used to collect RESULTS FOR 2.5 MAINS.

Also, yeah just play anyone. I play ZSS and **** all the metroid games (IMO). I just never found them any fun. Personal taste thing, you know? But my other character, squirtle, comes as a choice because he is my favorite pokemon, so I see what you are saying. In super smash flash 2 or whatever its called I played Black Mage because I love him in the original FF (see my avatar).

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Though loving the character makes playing them much more satisfying. Unless you suck as them like I do with Link. xD

So. Should this thread now be used to discuss why we think the popularity list is how it is? Obviously with only 100 entries it's not too accurate. But we can still talk about it.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
You're a strange fellow. Just play any character.
Should you not play a new series because you've never played as that character before? Take a freaking chance sometimes. Toon Link is such a fun character and he's just a quicker Link with some better moves. Yink 2.0!
Also upsetting you can't finish more than one dungeon in one of the best Zelda games there is. (IMO. #2 on my list)

That's also somewhat strange and ignorant. Just because they don't know the character from playing the game doesn't mean they can't love their character design. Kinda like I did with Ness. That was one reason I originally played him. He had a very interesting character design so I was drawn to him even though I usually played as Link in 64. He looked so... average.
I loved Mr. Saturns without playing the game or even knowing what game they were from for years. I may not have obsessed over them. But Smash is kind of a gateway game into other games. So many franchises being presented. Just jump in and have fun with all the characters!

People really need to learn to read the OP and to see that 2.1 AND 2.5 applications are not being accepted.
There's a pretty big difference between "not getting to", and not "being able to". Although I guess I'm not able because I don't have the god damn game. lol

Though loving the character makes playing them much more satisfying. Unless you suck as them like I do with Link. xD
This also contributes to my unwillingness to play other characters.

I also hate people that play a character because of sex appeal for the most part.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Oh. I didn't realize you meant it that way.

Have you even tried 2.5 Tink? He's still Link so you can play him since you've played his game. Most of your Yink and Link play will carry over and you'll be pretty good.
Like I said.. Just take a chance. Or don't let their popularity get you down.
Maybe you should stop playing Zelda games since millions of copies have been sold.
Or stop playing your game systems for the same reason.
Your excuse of popularity seriously makes no sense. Unless you're a Hipster. Then your excuse is just smug weirdness.

Who has ever played a character for sex appeal? Except in Saints Row. But it's kinda the point in that game. xD

I'm not trying to bash you or anything. It's just that your excuses are, well, excuses. There's no reasoning behind them besides wanting to act childish. Or not wanting to be mainstream. Either way. I don't get it.

Shaz

Smash Rookie
I'm amazed how high Ness made it for the 2.1 list. He's fun, and much easier than Lucas to pick up, but he doesn't seem that popular from what I've seen of competitive videos.

I've been using Wolf lately and find he is a very happy medium between Falco's **** recovery and Fox's lack of a meteor. Fox has a shine, sure, but something just feels right about a physical meteor. He's middling on the list and will likely stay there due to his middling killing power and weight.

Ganon is my current main, though that'll likely change once Samus is released. I'm not surprised by Ganon's placement on the list, though I am surprised he is above ROB.

G&W being dead last is to be expected. Hopefully he'll climb a tad for the 2.5 list, but I don't expect it to be much. I used to love an occasional G&W match, but he lost his charm when everyone was upgraded around him while he basically stayed the same and/or lost some fun abilities like his fish tank. He'll probably need another slight buff in the form of something fun before he hits average.

Hopefully the next list has more people supplying info so we can get a better look at who's playing what.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
G&W was just total poop in 2.1
He was so weak. Now he's been way buffed and he's insane. But his horizontal recovery is sad. Sonic has a better verticle recovery yet he has much more horizontal control. :/ I think that holds G&W back a LOT. Sure G&W is more powerful than Sonic but does that warrant a terrible recovery? Of have they just not been able to program the parachute to help his horizontal-ness a tiny bit?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Why would they need to program the parachute? If they wanted it, they could've just not changed it form the way it was in Brawl. They coded it to not have the parachute.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
No offense to those who like him, but I believe GW was bad in 2.1. Thats just my opinion. I gave him a chance at first, but I just ended up curving away from him.

Top Bottom