• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1st CALGARY BIMONTHLY SUPER SMASH MELEE TOURNEMANT

mach5

Smash Journeyman
what i believe is a better idea for the money is. If hes taking a cut for food and stuff thats undertandable but taking a cut for future hosting is on the border line with me. If we have a bigger tournament the next time at a hall, he should then charge an entry fee to get into the building so people outside of calgary have to pay as well instead of just calgary paying for it =S.

making calgary poor isn't a good idea when east coast comes to take the rest of our money =(

and what i think confuses people the most about the pot money is that you didn't let them know that the other half the of money is going to other uses like food and such.

20 people roughly coming
entry fee is 20 dollars
thus 400 dollars total

when you say 10x the number of people coming it makes people think they are paying 10 dollars per person. Everyone is still paying 20 but only 10 dollars is going to the total pot money for winners.

so i hope that clears up the confusing that some people have.

Just a suggestion for future hosting. Just make the money seperate so its less confusing

For EXAMPLE

My tournament blah blah blah
Entry fee is 10 dollars
Singles is 10 dollars

Pot is total participants of singles x 10 dollars

Bam easy and not confusing

ppig

Smash Journeyman
yea thats what his is basically the entry fee covers singles but some people come and just do friendlies and dont do singles

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
Mmm, Allan is right, But it really doesn't matter at this point, I've learned that Pit is not about to change it anyways, unless he can agree with your point about how it'll just come and take our money, but I already talked to him personally about it, and it didn't seem like he was gonna change it.

Soooo, basically I'd say just let it go for now.

Connor make sure you confirm all your people with me please >_< I have limited space, and you still need a spot for me in your car. Also Smarms just so I know who are you again? you were at ADAT2 I believe, and were there for the crew battle, I Just dont remember your name if you ever told me.

Not to mention we have limited spots in the tournament itself -_-

Richard, Sourdough is me, and I am brad. Now will you answer me if you're coming or not? Jeeeez.

OH and Could everyone please bring an extra $10 or so, because if time allows (which it definately should) I plan to run a doubles tournament, and maybe a brawl singles, since I think it'd be funny to see how a bunch of people who dont like brawl stack up, and it'd be a good thing to do for James (Pit) since he likes brawl better, and he could join, and maybe win.

Sound cool guys?

And James, don't worry, my doubles/brawl idea wont interfere with this tournament, it'll just be on the side, since everyones gathered, and it's entirely me who will run it, so you don't need to worry about it.

once again I am brad/kith.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I like your new account Brad.

But i think nothing will top 100infractions. That made me spill my milk.
or Lukelosttoalvl9mk.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
lol, well Lukelosttoalvl9mk. isn't perma banned I don't think.

100 infractions is lol

This one I'm gonna try to keep since it's actually a good account for me, not just a joke. But lanowen will ban it as soon as I post somewhere he pays attention to.

Also this one has a CD case bagel

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah I noticed that. I like it.

And Yeah I agree, it's a pretty good account to keep for real.

Lanowen, if you're reading this I hope you let Brad keep this. Aside from you giving him 100 infractions or whatever and having Brad send in the rolfcopter, Brad's been very helpful, especially with this tourney.

I hope Joel reads this too just in case. Oh wait.

pit2333

Smash Apprentice
IMPORTANT MESSAGE

so yeah mach, the money rules wont change man, i dont wanna be harsh guys , but i think my rules are fair and if someone doesnt like them dont come, i dont want arguments about that on sunday. and the brawl tournemant wont work because we have to be done by 7pm. we have 7 hours , their will prbl be only 90 min after the tournemant.

pit2333

Smash Apprentice
because my dad comes home at 8 and ill have to clean up , and 10 , would be 10 hours of gaming thats alot lol.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
connor if we want we can come back to my house and finish whatever we want to, or do a BP's or something since we didnt get to last time.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
lolwut Abdi, it starts at 12.

But be there at 11, cause he's not accepting people after 12

smarms

Smash Cadet
ok then im not takeing you im not going to spend my money on you i dont owe u anything you want a ride its 5 bucks so u go without a turkey sand witch for a day is nt a bag of rice like 10 bucks anyway :p and ok scoot i will take u its just 5 bucks to go think u can handle that big guy i know its a little much to be drivn around ALL DAY but its the least i can do
sweet. and you know that money usually isn't a problem with me lol

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
It's high time VICTOOOOOOORRRRRRR

also anyone wanna MM at this thing?

Red deer? I'm lookin at chu'

edit: all the MM's are for the visit my girlfriend who I may never get to see again in my entire life fund =]

(thats not a joke, so seriously take the matches, but do try to do well, I dont want easy money)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
ok Pit lol. Brad told me that you had some problem with pools?

I wanna let you know, from someone who's hosted and co-hosted some pretty major tourneys in the past, that pools is a good idea. Not to come across like a jerk but I'd recommend listening to everyone's opinion before you make decisions because we've been around for a long time.

Do you know what pools is? I think brad told me that you did. It's for seeding. Now I'm not sure what your definition of that is but I can tell you that it's the best way to make this event the fairest it can be. Why? It lets the better players play the lesser players right at the start. That way, better players play players their skill level in the winners bracket, and the lesser players play people their level in losers. People get their moneys worth. As they go through the bracket, their competition gradually becomes harder and harder, therefore everyone gets equal opportunity for success. It becomes the player's skill as to whether that opportunity can be achieved to the fullest or not.

If you didn't have pools for seeding, we'd get two players who are really good play each other right from the start, so then we get 1 good player dominate through the losers bracket early on. As well, we'd get the opposite with two players who are bad play each other right off the start.

Now, i know that this is a fun little tourney in your basement that you so kindly volunteered to host, but you're dealing with people's money here as well as people traveling from other cities. You want people to get the most out of it so then when you host next time, your entrants will be equal if not higher then before.

Now you said that no one would come or be happy about having pools? Let's look at some actual accomplished and majorly successful tournaments shall we?

Let's look at the most recent tournament I hosted shall we?

First of all we have ADAT2 which everyone here pretty much helped out with that, strangely enough, had pools. Did people mind? No. In fact, the brackets went well and people are hyped for the ADAT3.
---
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235344
---

And here we have the last tournament I hosted, probably one of the bigger ones this side of Canada. Huge turn out. We had 2 out of 3 pool matches, and people loved it. It gave people a solid bracket where everyone had the opportunity but only a few could succeed with it, and that's how it should be. Would they come again? I had people ask me when my next tournament would be, right after cast4 ended.
---
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185671
---

and finally, we have the biggest smash tournament in history. Huge. Guess what? It had pools.
---
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211141
---

All i'm trying to get here is that yes, hosting a tourney isn't rocket science but you're dealing with people's time and money. Most importantly money. People don't want to come to play in an unbalance, completely random bracket. Pools don't take very long, and it gives people more chances to play as well. You had 10 hours did you say? That should be enough time for the tourney as well as pools. I know you're all *yipee* about hosting this thing, and I don't want to come across as rude but I just hope that you'd take the advice given to you from people who know what they're doing.

Ermine

Smash Ace
ok Pit lol. Brad told me that you had some problem with pools?

I wanna let you know, from someone who's hosted and co-hosted some pretty major tourneys in the past, that pools is a good idea. Not to come across like a jerk but I'd recommend listening to everyone's opinion before you make decisions because we've been around for a long time.

Do you know what pools is? I think brad told me that you did. It's for seeding. Now I'm not sure what your definition of that is but I can tell you that it's the best way to make this event the fairest it can be. Why? It lets the better players play the lesser players right at the start. That way, better players play players their skill level in the winners bracket, and the lesser players play people their level in losers. People get their moneys worth. As they go through the bracket, their competition gradually becomes harder and harder, therefore everyone gets equal opportunity for success. It becomes the player's skill as to whether that opportunity can be achieved to the fullest or not.

If you didn't have pools for seeding, we'd get two players who are really good play each other right from the start, so then we get 1 good player dominate through the losers bracket early on. As well, we'd get the opposite with two players who are bad play each other right off the start.

Now, i know that this is a fun little tourney in your basement that you so kindly volunteered to host, but you're dealing with people's money here as well as people traveling from other cities. You want people to get the most out of it so then when you host next time, your entrants will be equal if not higher then before.

Now you said that no one would come or be happy about having pools? Let's look at some actual accomplished and majorly successful tournaments shall we?

Let's look at the most recent tournament I hosted shall we?

First of all we have ADAT2 which everyone here pretty much helped out with that, strangely enough, had pools. Did people mind? No. In fact, the brackets went well and people are hyped for the ADAT3.
---
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235344
---

And here we have the last tournament I hosted, probably one of the bigger ones this side of Canada. Huge turn out. We had 2 out of 3 pool matches, and people loved it. It gave people a solid bracket where everyone had the opportunity but only a few could succeed with it, and that's how it should be. Would they come again? I had people ask me when my next tournament would be, right after cast4 ended.
---
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185671
---

and finally, we have the biggest smash tournament in history. Huge. Guess what? It had pools.
---
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211141
---

All i'm trying to get here is that yes, hosting a tourney isn't rocket science but you're dealing with people's time and money. Most importantly money. People don't want to come to play in an unbalance, completely random bracket. Pools don't take very long, and it gives people more chances to play as well. You had 10 hours did you say? That should be enough time for the tourney as well as pools. I know you're all *yipee* about hosting this thing, and I don't want to come across as rude but I just hope that you'd take the advice given to you from people who know what they're doing.
5$ MM Victor

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lmfao kevin I'm scared of you now. I'd have a better chance just by handing over 5 bucks then to actually play you. XD

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
The most important thing to get out of that is, we respect you because you're the host and are going out of your way, but please realize when we say something, we're speaking out of experience, and you're dealing with our money, so usually it's smart to at least listen.

I'm coming either way though lol.

edit: Kevin since Victors not coming, $5 MM?

Roder

Smash Cadet
hey bread..ill try to get 5$ extra to play ya ok :D?lets help the cause.. :D i think that if i had the opportunity to see my gf by doing MM id do the same thing xD

and..about the pools..i think we should make pools..ive helped with tourneys in venezuela and yeah...it really balance evertyhing up..but anyway...pit has the last call D:...

Roder

Smash Cadet
holy **** you're the venezuela dude

im hella playing you
lol sure xD but the MM (if i can play any) is reserved to Bread k xD? i mostly want to play with everyone in here xD im kinda exited about it...i dont know hwat to expect so im kinda thinking ima get ***** xD

Roder

Smash Cadet
haha xD marth..i love that guy.......or girl..whatever..im still not sure about it :D (no offense xD just joking :D) but yeah..im mostly expecting marths xDD some friends have told me that the smashers from here like to play marth xD so..no worries..we can have all the friendlies u want xD

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
thanks! =] I'm really interested in meeting you, you sound really cool

Who do you play?

edit: LOL you're already down in my books as fantastic for the marth comments.

But actually I don't think there'll be the usual amount of marth at this thing =/

Roder

Smash Cadet
i hope so xD i dont want to play a bunch of crazy guys with tiaras xD (im talking about marth D:! not about marth players :D) will be cool to meet ya too..but...there is only one problem :Du....im not used to talk in english xD so be patient with my talking :D! and that goes for everyone i might get to talk with in the tourney xD and try not to ask too many things to my bro xD he understand a bit of english but he cant talk xD just the necesary stuff xD like ask for a washroom...that kind of stuff xD

And i play space animals :D who do u play?

and thanks for includingme in ur complements for marths book :D

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
hahaha, well our usual marth players, who kinda started the whole alberta marth trend can't make it to this. So I dunno.

And oh yeah, I generally talk fast, and people have troubles understanding me normally because I am kinda... well I mumble I guess, it's cause I'm partially dislexic and it's weird, but I'll be sure to try to make it clear for you, just make sure you let me know who you are, my biggest problem will be remembering who's who with all the new faces.

Your only real problem will be the trashtalking that you'll probably hear in the background while other people play, which might get hard to understand.

awww gross spacies =P I hate that matchup it's rediculous.

I play a ton of people, buuuuut, people like to talk about my ganon right now.

Roder

Smash Cadet
great xD i really like that matchup xD i like to play against ganon..its hard to play him and thats what make it great xD and i dont have problem understanding ppl xD maybe ill have a few troubles understanding the backgroung but since we are only 20 ppl...it shouldnt be THAT bad xD

spacies rocks men :D! i think u will like my falco :D!

pit2333

Smash Apprentice
IMPORTANT MESSAGE

again i told brad , and ill tell everyone there will be no pools at this tournemant, maybe future once but def not this one, anyone who insists on having pools please dont come. victra i only read half of ur long post cause really i dont care what other ppl do, im unique. Im against pools because in no tournemant in anything in life are there pools, tournemants are random , its not the playoffs with seeding. AGAIN ANYONE AGAINST MY NO POOLS RULE DO NOT COME, EVERYONE ELSE WELL HAVE FUN. i accept all the advice on the official rules and hd tv thing , but everything else i will do the way i think is more fun and fair. ONE MORE TIME IF UR AGAINST ANY OF MY RULES , PLEASE DO NOT COME.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
It may only be 16.

Pit hasn't decided anything yet, but he realized he might only have room for 16

God Falco is like my least favourite opponent >_> I love beating him, but man lasers =/= a mega-***** to deal with, especially as ganon.

I used to play sheik when I could actually dodge that stuff and I was fast.

About being black abdi?

edit: Yeah Pit you have final say =3

as long as you know what double elimination is

doubledit: any word on your friends or aj's friends?

Top Bottom