• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10-year-old girl named Karissa beats top-level Smashers at a West Coast Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Smash Lord
Delete; double post.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I know I'm going to get A LOT of hate for this, but it's just meh. All I see in the news these days [aside from world destruction and misery] is kids around 10-12 making huge accomplishments and whatnot, liking playing piano perfectly or finding some sort of cure, I saw a report about a 14 year old creating some app to shut off phones while driving. Kids are superhumans now lol, so honestly, I'm not super surprised or impressed. a 10 year old could easily win a smash tourney these days.

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
I find this really hard to believe, due to her history as an actress. Looking at her Twitter, all she says is how she's aspiring to be an actress or dancer and it has nothing to do with Smash.
She already is an actress. She has her own website. Sky would gain nothing by saying he and multiple people got their butt kicked by a 10 year old if it was a lie. If anything his reputation would go down by a lot. I think it's fake. Maybe she doesn't like competitive Smash and was only doing this for the fun of it and found out how good she was?

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Well, time to get better at this game now. There's always room for improvement, but if other players are getting that good so fast, I need some catching up to do.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find this really hard to believe, due to her history as an actress. Looking at her Twitter, all she says is how she's aspiring to be an actress or dancer and it has nothing to do with Smash.

There could be a human player playing from off-camera.
So not mentioning Smash on your website or Twitter means you can't possibly play it among yourself and your friends?

Dylan Sprouse is a widely known (former) actor, who also of course was in the media crosshairs due to "that" incident, yet we knew nothing about his love for Smash until this year. He visited Smash tournaments incognito, and had been playing his whole life, and had apparently met D1 while in disguise, and D1 only found out this year. And now, he's commentated at a tournament (maybe more, I'm only aware of the one though).

So no, this girl being an actor does not ruin her credibility, at all.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Wait, so you are saying there's still a chance?

#IWantToBelieve
Yes. Until D1 comes out and says "lol I was trolling you guyz the entire time" which I doubt someone like him would even consider doing because of how much respect he has in our community, I'd say there's still a chance that the 10 year old girl being good at smash 4 is legitimate. :)

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
She would completely take her eyes off of the screen and then KO people. She's just a cute kid that got an acting job to probably promote herself (via parents/agent) rather than the thought of a 10 year-old girl beating top players. She'll probably have her own Disney show next year.

I understand that people loved the thought of it, and it would've been a pretty sweet thing had it been legitimate; but the extent to which people are disappointed, outraged, and even disgusted is astounding and downright stupid.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I honestly hope this ISN'T real. The top Smash players just got a lot of attention, but if news stations look at this and decide the Smash community is so terrible that it isn't worth reporting on, it could have a harmful effect. It's unlikely that could happen, but if it is confirmed that everyone we know and love are getting their butts kicked by a ten year old, that means we as a whole lose a lot of face.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
What if D1 was P1 and someone else was P2? After all, he could've agreed to act as well.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
What if D1 was P1 and someone else was P2? After all, he could've agreed to act as well.
I doubt it. I'm more concerned about who it was behind the scenes that was Player 1. D1 is not necessarily a pro-player, and he was playing what people consider a bottom tier character, against what people consider a top tier character (both Shiek and Diddy). But this is assuming that he tried, which I don't think he did.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I doubt it. I'm more concerned about who it was behind the scenes that was Player 1. D1 is not necessarily a pro-player, and he was playing what people consider a bottom tier character, against what people consider a top tier character (both Shiek and Diddy). But this is assuming that he tried, which I don't think he did.
That could be true as well. If I were put into that spot, I'd let the girl win just to be a gentleman. What if D1 didn't know she was an actor, and simply let her win for chivalrous reasons? And the GameStop filmed it because of marketing purposes?

That's just a theory. A Game Theory!

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
That could be true as well. If I were put into that spot, I'd let the girl win just to be a gentleman. What if D1 didn't know she was an actor, and simply let her win for chivalrous reasons? And the GameStop filmed it because of marketing purposes?

That's just a theory. A Game Theory!

It'll be interesting if in a few days Gamestop releases an advertisement featuring this. Could be neat to see SSBers on TV, even if they are fake-losing to a 10-year-old girl in it.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Regardless of if they lost on purpose or not, her level of play is impressive for a 10 year old.

Also it should be "high level" not "top level". Which would then make this more believable and make more sense.

Edit: Oh, fake as in it wasn't her playing, haha. Ok that explains it

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It'll be interesting if in a few days Gamestop releases an advertisement featuring this. Could be neat to see SSBers on TV, even if they are fake-losing to a 10-year-old girl in it.
They had a professional-looking camera, I wouldn't be surprised.

It'd be cool if it was her actually playing, and honestly, it's not IMPOSSIBLE, because if you look at it from a certain perspective, she was playing WELL, but she WAS attacking simplistically most of the time.

She didn't even edgeguard, most of the time, did she?

^ best we can hope for.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
They had a professional-looking camera, I wouldn't be surprised.

It'd be cool if it was her actually playing, and honestly, it's not IMPOSSIBLE, because if you look at it from a certain perspective, she was playing WELL, but she WAS attacking simplistically most of the time.

She didn't even edgeguard, most of the time, did she?

^ best we can hope for.
she edge guarded with sheik pretty well. in the first match of the video. At least, someone did.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
she edge guarded with sheik pretty well. in the first match of the video. At least, someone did.
Mhmm, that's why i said most of the time, because with Sheik she did do it well.

And it seems it was confirmed by one of the players that there WAS indeed an apparently pro player playing for her with a 3rd controller, but his identity was kept confidential, so D1 could keep his job.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Somebody, somewhere, is making T-shirts for the competitive smash community that say "I am Karissa"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom