• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10-year-old girl named Karissa beats top-level Smashers at a West Coast Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...She is SET for life. Seriously.

And she didn't even bring out her top tier main.

And she never played as Dedede before.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Cool, now when I go to make fun of my casual friends (who are in college btw), I can show them this! Seriously, we need more people like this. lol

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I seriously want to see her Rosalina if Rosalina really is her main, like she said. Even her Dedede was solid, despite never using him before. And that Sheik, and ESPECIALLY Diddy, was really good. I can't imagine what she'll be doing with Rosalina.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Wait, which player is Karissa?
P1 or P2? '_'

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I wonder if someone teach this kid how to play the game competitively or she was just looking on the internet and learned by herself. Either way, this is fantastic.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
At least not all kids are playing cod but damn she probally has better skills or is on par with me and I've been playing smash since melee.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
There's some talk on other sites whether she actually was playing if this was a publicity stunt, because at one point she appears to roll with only one hand on the controller. I don't know... especially since a lot of people probably would have had to be in on it.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
There's some talk on other sites whether she actually was playing if this was a publicity stunt, because at one point she appears to roll with only one hand on the controller. I don't know... especially since a lot of people probably would have had to be in on it.
I watched this video closely and it looked like she was just rolling using the C-Stick.

Honestly it just sounds to me that a bunch of greasy reddit neckbeards are mad that a 10-year-old girl is great at Smash.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I watched this video closely and it looked like she was just rolling using the C-Stick.

Honestly it just sounds to me that a bunch of greasy reddit neckbeards are mad that a 10-year-old girl is great at Smash.
The other thing that makes me think it's real: Why would guys like D1 and Sky lie about it? What would they have to gain from saying that they got beat by a 10-year-old?

That said, real or not, if Nintendo is smart they try their damn hardest to make this go truly viral. It'd be a great advertisement for the game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This girl can probably murder me with Diddy. And we still haven't see Rosalina.

It's cool to see a prodigy like this rise up.

ALSO SHE'S 10.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
People find this outstanding, but it's not that uncommon to see kids being good at competitive games.
Heck, there's a reason that there is a junior divison in Competitive Pokemon tourneys. It's just rare to see a kid doing well on a fighting game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
People find this outstanding, but it's not that uncommon to see kids being good at competitive games.
Heck, there's a reason that there is a junior divison in Competitive Pokemon tourneys. It's just rare to see a kid doing well on a fighting game.
And because it's rare, it's outstanding.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If rolling with one hand is what's getting people doubting it - hold L with your index finger, move the Left Stick with your thumb. There. Rolled with one hand.

And yeah, I don't see why D1 would be in on it if it was fake.

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Wow, that's cool. I probably wouldn't have survived a minute against her.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I have just watched this video a hour ago (thanks Etika!) and all I have to say is she is a BEAST! I would also say that I could probably take her on, but the more people I see here saying they will get slaughtered, the more I'm starting to doubt myself.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It is always nice to see talented young players.

Those plays by Karissa were very good. What top level smashers was Karissa playing against? I could not make them out because of the Camera.

Hopefully this will broaden the competitive scene in Smash 4, where we start seeing younger talented players.

And considering the characters she used:

:4sheik::4dedede::4diddy:, I really wanted to see her main, :rosalina:.

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
It is always nice to see talented young players.

Those plays by Karissa were very good. What top level smashers was Karissa playing against? I could not make them out because of the Camera.

Hopefully this will broaden the competitive scene in Smash 4, where we start seeing younger talented players.

And considering the characters she used:

:4sheik::4dedede::4diddy:, I really wanted to see her main, :rosalina:.

She played against D1 I know that for sure. Not sure about the others though. But it was some really good players. She had 2 stocks out of 2 after beating D1. 2 stocking one of the best tournament players in existence.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
She played against D1 I know that for sure. Not sure about the others though. But it was some really good players. She had 2 stocks out of 2 after beating D1.
Very good. Hopefully this will encourage Smash players around her age to participate even if they are nervous. It is always nice to see new skill young or old.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Now that's some solid play. Too bad Crazy Hand was holding the camera.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Very good. Hopefully this will encourage Smash players around her age to participate even if they are nervous. It is always nice to see new skill young or old.
I'm 15 and very discouraged because there is now proof that a 10 year old girl can kick my ass.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Holy ****. If I was doing **** like this at tournaments at that age I'd be using my earnings to buy pixie stix and whatnot. ****ing props.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm 15 and very discouraged because there is now proof that a 10 year old girl can kick my ***.
This encourages me to get better. And no matter what you will always find people that are better than you.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
This is what I was like playing against my friends when I was 10.

except, y'know. i wasn't that good.

Egaseci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6004-1540
I'll probably receive some hate for this, but everything about this strikes me as viral marketing for amiibo. I have a feeling that in due time it will be revealed that an AI was controlling the girl's characters.

D

Deleted member

Holy crap. I am amazed that a 10 year old can play like this! :crazy:

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
She's definitely set for major improvement if she can learn from the best and play the best.
But that camera man, smh... lol

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Best of luck to her if she continues to keep playing Smash. We could really use someone as talented as her in the competitive scene.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
I'll probably receive some hate for this, but everything about this strikes me as viral marketing for amiibo. I have a feeling that in due time it will be revealed that an AI was controlling the girl's characters.
The UI shows that none of the players in this video are amiibo.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I hope the people there talked to her mom or dad about seriously considering entering the scene, I want to see more HD footage of Kirissa beating up everyone

Dan

Smash Lord
I find this really hard to believe, due to her history as an actress. Looking at her Twitter, all she says is how she's aspiring to be an actress or dancer and it has nothing to do with Smash.

Yeah, and I doubt a standard Lvl. 9 AI could beat a skilled human player.
There could be a human player playing from off-camera.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom