• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10 Reasons Why Snake is the Best Brawler

grimreper235

Smash Rookie
1. Snake has land mines. COME ON! That is just awesome.

2. His fair and his bair both own.

3. HE HAS A BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I believe he is the best character on Brawl to play mind games with.

5. HE HIDES IN THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. and 7. He is heavy, yet still has an awesome recovery with up special.

8. HE THROWS THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Planting C4s has got to be the beastliest move in the whole game.

10. THE BOX DOES DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Care to add your own reasons?

Mosarani

Smash Cadet
Select snake on the character screen and press y on the GC controller.

That is all the reason you will ever need to play snake.

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
Snake will never be the best because:

-Laggy moves
-STEEP learning curve (Thats why his moves dont APPEAR that great)
-Pretty **** slow
-Small 1st and 2nd jump (even though the UPb is so amazingly good)

But anyway back ontopic...Good points!

-Amazing knockback on every move
-Amazing Damage for every move
-UPB can be canceled, making juggling, or just a quick Uair killer.
-Master of mind games
-Last but not least a little something for the OP: BOX EDGEGUARD!

Snake would probably be, high or even top tier if he wasnt hard to use. But if he wasnt hard to use, he'd have diffrent moves, so would he still be high tier? Something to ponder :p

tsl

Smash Apprentice
2. His fair and his bair both own.
Excuse me? All his aerials fcking own. N-air, D-air, B-air, and U-air all have ridiculous damage and knockback. F-air gives Snake more air and spikes.

No further discussion necessary.

Rabble2

Smash Rookie
his smash attacks are the coolest smash attacks in the game, and his grenades are so fun in 4p matches
the nakita will defeat pk thunder and kill someone off the screen

hes also the only character where all three of his smashes can hit the same spot at one time

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
Snake will be weird to put in the tier list. He will probably be put somewhat low, BUT that's because most people will not know how to use him, but really hes God tier when used correctly. Confusing.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Snake will be weird to put in the tier list. He will probably be put somewhat low, BUT that's because most people will not know how to use him, but really hes God tier when used correctly. Confusing.
Well tier lists are based on the results of characters being used most often with successful results...so whatever Snake's position on the list is, it's most likely Snake being used at his best/full potential. It wouldn't be low just because he's got a learning curve.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Much as I like Snake and think he's amazing, I don't think he's the best brawler. In FFA matches especially, Snake just seems to take a major beating if he gets caught in the middle of a fight. He also has a lot of laggy moves, but that's already been covered. Still an awesome character.

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
Well tier lists are based on the results of characters being used most often with successful results...so whatever Snake's position on the list is, it's most likely Snake being used at his best/full potential. It wouldn't be low just because he's got a learning curve.

Well, I think Snake at his full potential will be top tier. Biased? Maybe. :)

Jaykizzle

Smash Cadet
all his a attacks have considerable knockback...and his fsmash kills at low percentages.

also...his explosives are pretty sick. the grenades would keep an oppenent on his feet like crazy. especially since they are small and somewhat hard to see.

my bro mains with snake and what he likes doing is throwing a grenade an then dropping a grenade right next to him as he shields. so when the opponent comes to attack, he hits the grenade gets the damages and leaves him open for an a combo.

also placing a c4 charge on the opponent is another favorite kill of his.

yeah snake probably has 101 ways to kill his opponents...propz to the development team that made him god tier.

Snack

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrSnackMan
That's steep learning curve for ya. If the person's using him properly, he's really good.

Also, I love his running move, just for the sheer versatility of the move. Being able to cancel it into his UpSmash or go straight into his crouch stance (Which also gets him really low to the ground) is great.

Eff_Soul

Smash Cadet
Excuse me? All his aerials fcking own. N-air, D-air, B-air, and U-air all have ridiculous damage and knockback. F-air gives Snake more air and spikes.

No further discussion necessary.
Lol This dude killed me yesterday,both my ness and mario.Snake's runniing upsmash combined with his aerials make it hard to be defensive and his projectiles make it insanely hard to approach him without taking damage.Snake's going to be godly once people start to see how to use him rght.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake is very good, but he's definitely not the best character in the game.

His aerial game is strong, but it sucks because it is quite laggy. He's easily punished here.

Snake's recovery is BAD. One, because his aerial game sucks as I've stated so yeah, even though you can cancel the cypher, that definitely doesn't make you close to safe. Two, the cypher is quite limited so his recovery is very predictable. If you grab the cypher (or can you destroy it?) then he dies.

Those are the main two disadvantages. Basically, avoid being in the air, and try not to get knocked off the stage too much, then you're good. Another thing slightly going against him is his shield and that he's a big target, yeah.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Snake is very good, but he's definitely not the best character in the game.

His aerial game is strong, but it sucks because it is quite laggy. He's easily punished here.

Snake's recovery is BAD. One, because his aerial game sucks as I've stated so yeah, even though you can cancel the cypher, that definitely doesn't make you close to safe. Two, the cypher is quite limited so his recovery is very predictable. If you grab the cypher (or can you destroy it?) then he dies.

Those are the main two disadvantages. Basically, avoid being in the air, and try not to get knocked off the stage too much, then you're good. Another thing slightly going against him is his shield and that he's a big target, yeah.
You're not doing it right.

Na just kidding I don't want to make some nonsensical comment like that :p. His recovery is actually superb compared to most heavyweights, and he's 2nd heaviest only to bowser, whose recovery is much worse. Did I mention super armor frames? Heavy character + above average recovery = hard as heck to kill.

Of course if his recovery was godly he'd be pretty unbalanced, but you can get around shortcomings with his bomb jump and air dodging. That or just flying, really, really high, where nothing but another snake's mortar has a chance of hitting you. ;)

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
I agree. Snake's recovery is quite, and i mean quite, good. his up and back air are also very useful. On the other hand, he's hard to be great with the first few times you play him. Then again, it's still pretty easy to get better with him. Harder than the other charecters? Yes, but this is Smash Bros, people. I can see Snake being top teir, or at least in the middle of high tier. Lower than that is just silly. Though I'll not repeat yesterdays mistake on my part to try to make a tier chart/list/thing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Uh, Snake's recovery is ONLY good in terms of distance. His Up-B is one of the easier ones to intercept srsly. I'm taking into account even the fact he can cancel it. I've seen this happen several times with vids of some decent Snake players. Snake has to use his Cypher multiple times to fly above the range of interception in order to recover because his Up-B doesn't appear to autograb the ledge (and if you grab his Cypher, he dies of course). And remember, Snake's aerial game is easily punished. Snake is a LOT more vulnerable than most characters when recovering from below because his Cypher isn't a good attack, while other characters generally have a high priority aerial attack that can autograb the ledge

His recovery is indeed better than Bowser's, but Bowser's recovery sucks. Snake's isn't much better. Good thing of course he's really heavy, because he can't afford to be sent very far and risk getting put in a bad position with the Cypher.

IIRC, Snake doesn't exactly have Super Armor on his Up-B. It looks more like he becomes heavier like Yoshi's Double Jump, because he can be knocked off by strong attacks.

You can also Bomb Jump with Snake, but that takes away his weight advantage because he does a lot of damage to himself.

If you're looking for a heavyweight with GOOD recovery, go for King Dedede.

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
A2ZOMG said:
His recovery is indeed better than Bowser's, but Bowser's recovery sucks. Snake's isn't much better.
I'd like to put that one on the official record. Snake's recovery not much better than Bowsers.... Ha! Snake's is far better than any other heavy charecter in terms of recovery (not attack), in terms of vertical and horizontal distance, and time possible in the air. Ike, Ganondorf, DK, and so on- They all fall far short in terms of recovery, compared to Snake.

EDIT- response to your edit- Dedede... you're right, I forgot about him. Sorry. So there's one who's about tied with snake. But Snake's recovery being just a little bit better than Bowser's is laughable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake's recovery isn't close to being as good as Dedede's btw. If you want a heavyweight with good recovery, King Dedede has that. Yes, the other heavyweights have worse recovery than Snake, but that doesn't mean his recovery is good at all.

It doesn't change the fact the Cypher actually leaves Snake fairly open to attacks. There is a reason why Melee Ganondorf and G&W were considered to have horrible recovery despite getting decent distance. Their recovery also left them open to interception. Snake's Cypher has much margin for being intercepted because it's a lame attack by itself and moves slowly, which forces him to fly above the ledge (and risk using his laggy aerial game later). I've seen this thing punished so many times because of how limited the Cypher's movement is.

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
What about Charizard's recovery? He's got extra jumps and can glide. Also Ike has that quick Draw which gives him extra horizontal distance. I think Snake's recovery is great, but there are definately other heavywieghts with decent recovery.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh yeah totally forgot, Charizard is like the only Pokemon of the Trainer that has reasonably good recovery. And he's the heaviest of those too.

EDIT: Aether >>>> Quick Draw in terms of recovery. Aether is like one of the best Up-Bs for recovering if it can make it back because it's one of the hardest Up-Bs to intercept because of the insane priority and duration. Snake counters Ike because he's one of few that can destroy this form of recovery.

EDIT2: So yeah, as I was saying, Snake can technically recover a long distance, but he'll probably take a ton of damage before he makes it back completely

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
#1: Not all of snake's midair attacks are laggy. In fact, most are not.

#2: I almost never get hit by attacks while recovering except against other Snakes online, ones who are particularly good with the controllable Nikita missle in 1-on-1s.

#!: This thread is, in fact, about why snake is the best brawler, not about his Up-B move. Yes, we're biased, but we're also right.

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Aether >>>> Quick Draw in terms of recovery. Aether is like one of the best Up-Bs for recovering if it can make it back because it's one of the hardest Up-Bs to intercept because of the insane priority and duration. Snake counters Ike because he's one of few that can destroy this form of recovery.
Ah I see, I only play as Ike in certain circumstances so I wasn't aware of the subtle differences between Aether and Quick Draw in terms of recovery. I consider myself wiser for the new knowlege. Thank you kindly.

And btw, for the sake of the topic, the reason Snake is awesome is written clearly in my sig.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
snake's recovery doesnt hurt people usually, and ive spiked ike's up b so many times in friendlies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You're not doing it right.

Na just kidding I don't want to make some nonsensical comment like that :p. His recovery is actually superb compared to most heavyweights, and he's 2nd heaviest only to bowser, whose recovery is much worse. Did I mention super armor frames? Heavy character + above average recovery = hard as heck to kill.

Of course if his recovery was godly he'd be pretty unbalanced, but you can get around shortcomings with his bomb jump and air dodging. That or just flying, really, really high, where nothing but another snake's mortar has a chance of hitting you. ;)
They are called juggernaut frames not super armor otherwise a Bair wouldn't send him flying off screen.
He isn't hard to gimp at call considering that approaching from the top is a bad idea since many characters outdo him aerially.
Coming from the bottom means he can get gimped if not careful.
Your best bet is using the bomb jump but its risky since you damage yourself and leave yourself open to attack.
Flying really high is bad since charatcers like Pit and Mk will pop you off the top ceiling.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
#1: Not all of snake's midair attacks are laggy. In fact, most are not.
His F-air is definitely laggy. His N-air has stupidly long duration allowing it to be punished from other directions. His Back air does come out reasonably fast, but also leaves Snake wide open to be punished partly because the ending lag is bad. His aerial attacks generally leave him quite open to be punished since the hitboxes cover a relatively small part of Snake, and/or have lag to them.

#2: I almost never get hit by attacks while recovering except against other Snakes online, ones who are particularly good with the controllable Nikita missle in 1-on-1s.
Good job. More power to you. Zjiin however didn't fare quite so well against Cosmo. It happens later in this video, but he was definitely unable to protect himself from Cosmo's ledgeguarding at one point because the Cypher is stupid like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BJ7BqZIRk

#!: This thread is, in fact, about why snake is the best brawler, not about his Up-B move. Yes, we're biased, but we're also right.
Of course Snake is really really good. He's definitely very high on the tiers, but he does have notable weaknesses which will make it unlikely that he's the best in the game. From what I've observed, his aerial game is considerably worse than others, and his recovery is one of the easier ones to intercept.

WurmTheory

Smash Cadet
Snake will never be the best because:

-Laggy moves
-STEEP learning curve (Thats why his moves dont APPEAR that great)
-Pretty **** slow
-Small 1st and 2nd jump (even though the UPb is so amazingly good)

But anyway back ontopic...Good points!

-Amazing knockback on every move
-Amazing Damage for every move
-UPB can be canceled, making juggling, or just a quick Uair killer.
-Master of mind games
-Last but not least a little something for the OP: BOX EDGEGUARD!

Snake would probably be, high or even top tier if he wasnt hard to use. But if he wasnt hard to use, he'd have diffrent moves, so would he still be high tier? Something to ponder :p
Ice Climbers in Melee were hard to use, and they were close to top tier. Well, maybe not hard to use, but definately hard to master. Learning to Desync was hell.

As for Snake, I say Killer 3-hit Jab Combo, Box Damage, and Grenade Spam/Mindgames are his greatest attributes.

Ben Powell

Smash Rookie
Snake is cool and all, but he's not the best character in the game. I can think of a couple more that surpass him

Top Bottom