• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#1 thing to improve a MetaKnight PLAYER

ckm

Smash Journeyman
ok, so the other thread with a similar title got me thinking... instead of changing meta himself, what would you change about the way the average MK player plays? Like, the most common noob mistake people make when picking up MK, that would greatly effect their game if corrected. (example: use tilts more, SL for kills, etc)

I would probably have to go with "intelligent" tornado spam. Alot of noobs use the tornado in ways that get them into trouble... then they decide that the move itself is flawed, and reduce its use too much. I think the important thing is learning when/how to use it. If you can avoid getting punished for the move, you can really rack up the damage and keep up the pressure on your opponents.

So, what else would you guys say?

*edit*
I guess i should have worded my post differently. rather than "spam", i should have said "use".. or "frequent use" or something. I didnt mean to just use it constantly... but I see some ppl either using it too much or not using it at all because they think its punishable or too cheap. all three are mistakes, IMO.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I've found that the number of downsmashes and Up+Bs a Metaknight player spams is directly related to how good they are. (Or at least how annoying they are...)

Staco

Smash Champion
I dont think so
the best way to play mk is makeing good combos
dont let the opponent a chance
if you spam your attacks the opponent can kill you easy with shielgrabs
you cant space with downsmashes
and ub b is **** for play on the ground
they wont get into the air by themselfes ;)

M@v

Subarashii!
Practice your tilts also. They are good moves. Unfortunately I dont use them enough. Also, There is virtally NO LAG after you use his gliding attack right above the ground. very good for stringing combos.

R.Kefka

Smash Cadet
I'd say the over-use of down-smash.

In most situations where an MK player punishes using down-smash, they could also land a grab instead.

Unless the down-smash is intended to KO, the grab is almost always superior for the following reasons:

1 grab attack + down-throw does more damage than a single hit from down-smash (about 14 compared to 11 or 13 percent, assuming no decay). Except for the rare times when you hit with both sides of the smash, the grab will do more.

The grab attack and throw will act for 2 hits of decay reduction on every KO move. The down-smash will only have one hit, in addition to decaying itself.

Most people, in the situation where the down-smash would punish a move, often hold their shield button to try and keep them safe. This gives them the chance to power-shield the smash, while a grab would obviously negate the shield.

Down-smash sets up for nothing, while down-throw and up-throw give strategic advantages to the MK.

Grabbing more instead of down-smashing would give MK players more damage, better returns, and help them KO better.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
I've found that the number of downsmashes and Up+Bs a Metaknight player spams is directly related to how good they are. (Or at least how annoying they are...)
This is just a little biased. Personally, and I know I'm not alone here, I use the D-Smash for spacing as well as KO'ing. As far as spamming S-loop, under the right circumstances, is called "Halberding", and can be an effective tactic. (please elaborate if I'm a bit off on the definition here)

Edit: Spamming in this context ^ would be more akin to "using at opportune moments". Under normal circumstances, I suppose it would refer more to "using excessively to the point of ineffectiveness/annoyance". I am not making a reference in my post to the latter definition, I am only pointing out the utility of the D-smash/S-loop outside of KO'ing.

Double Edit: To stay on topic, don't rely solely on specials to tack on damage, and DO NOT be afraid to pursue your opponent(s) when knocked away; MK has absolutely ridiculous gimping potential and more than enough airtime/recovery options to not worry about the trip back to the stage.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
This is just a little biased. Personally, and I know I'm not alone here, I use the D-Smash for spacing as well as KO'ing. As far as spamming S-loop, under the right circumstances, is called "Halberding", and can be an effective tactic. (please elaborate if I'm a bit off on the definition here)

Edit: Spamming in this context ^ would be more akin to "using at opportune moments". Under normal circumstances, I suppose it would refer more to "using excessively to the point of ineffectiveness/annoyance". I am not making a reference in my post to the latter definition, I am only pointing out the utility of the D-smash/S-loop outside of KO'ing.

Double Edit: To stay on topic, don't rely solely on specials to tack on damage, and DO NOT be afraid to pursue your opponent(s) when knocked away; MK has absolutely ridiculous gimping potential and more than enough airtime/recovery options to not worry about the trip back to the stage.
Yeah, I admit I'm coming from the perspective of simply complaining about Metaknight rather than giving useful feedback about how to use him. Down smash/Up+B is not really the solution to all problems like I make it out to be, they just happen to be the moves that cause the most trouble for me (I find it absurd how easily one can KO with a shuttle loop, and it leaves Metaknight with next to no vulnerability, what with the glide attack, in addition to being an excellent recovery move. It makes spiking nigh impossible against MK).

For a novice Metaknight, who might just use jabs when their opponent is near them, I would definitely recommend more down smashes. Though you are correct in that there can easily be better options, and spamming it is bad. The same goes for Up+B. Though I'm not sure what Halberding is.

Instead of just whining about Metaknight, I'll contribute and say that being able to make good use of all Metaknight's aerials is essential. Each has a use; this actually goes for basically all Metaknight's moves (though I personally couldn't tell you what's a good way to use down+B or his jab).

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Appreciate the feedback ^_^.

As far as the jab is concerned, it seems to have more use leading into the F-tilt/D-tilt/D-smash/etc. than racking up damage; almost like a "setup" more than an attack. Still leaves you vulnerable as hell though. Oh well. *shrug*

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
This may just be me, but I find that since I play MK quite offensively, I fall into shieldgrabs a lot more than I should. A nice way around this is to perfect his f-air/b-air spacing (which you should be doing anyway ^^). Since most players will get accustomed to shielding MK's onslaught of attacks, poking their shield with the tip of your f/b-airs, then landing just outside of grab range works wonders, at least for me (dang Falcos).

-SQ3R-

Smash Rookie
The Most important thing ever when you are maining Meta Knight is to remember that his Down smash is meant for KOing and knocking opponents off their feet! Don't overuse it because otherwise it just becomes useless. However, Meta Knight has other KOing options such as the reverse B-up off the edge. The main problem I can see a noob having trouble with is KOing because they don't take advantage of his variety of moves. Brawl is about utilizing each move only at certain times such that the impact remains nearly constant and the KO power is still high when the time is right.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
The Most important thing ever when you are maining Meta Knight is to remember that his Down smash is meant for KOing and knocking opponents off their feet! Don't overuse it because otherwise it just becomes useless. However, Meta Knight has other KOing options such as the reverse B-up off the edge. The main problem I can see a noob having trouble with is KOing because they don't take advantage of his variety of moves. Brawl is about utilizing each move only at certain times such that the impact remains nearly constant and the KO power is still high when the time is right.
Good point, but move decay from spamming moves like the D-smash can be averted by alternating to another spammable attack; F-air, for example.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Mach Tornado is best used for catching players by surprise, countering most projectiles and throwing them off guard. It's my favorite answer to most Toon Link players.

Top Bottom