• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1 Month Later...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well, I ended up getting second at that tournament I went to last weekend (Oct. 11th I think). Grand Finals Vids will be posted, but I'll update this whenever those are up, as well as a bunch of friendlies I did the day before.

Rate my Sonic, if anything has changed that is.

My favorite part of these vids are me vs. Kite #2 and vs. Snake #3 (I think), where I build up a redonculous amount of damage through simple grabs.

Grab game ftw. Anyways, sit back, grab a coffee, and dig into your steaks, and enjoy the Puffball Show:

Puffball (Sonic) vs. Kite (Meta Knight) #1
Puffball (Sonic) vs. Kite (Meta Knight) #2

Puffball (Sonic) vs. Morningstar (Snake) #1
Puffball (Sonic) vs. Morningstar (Snake) #2
Puffball (Sonic) vs. Morningstar (Snake) #3

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS ARE MADE OF 100% ABSOLUTE FAIL. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE EATEN ANYTHING WITHIN THE LAST TWO HOURS, OR HAVE A WEAK HEART. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...:

Puffball (Sonic) vs. Dr. Mario Kart (Meta Knight) #1
Puffball (Sonic) vs. DMK (Meta Knight) #2
Puffball (Sonic) vs. DMK (Meta Knight) #3
Puffball (Sonic) vs. DMK (Meta Knight) #4
Puffball (Sonic( vs. DMK (Meta Knight) #5

-----

My personal comments:

-Last stock in Kite 1: Unleash the Fury!!
-Kite 2: Lol, suicided again, and jab lock ftw.
-Morningstar 1: lol, grabs @ last stock.
-Morningstar 2: Nothing really, but that last string of moves before the end was cool to watch again.
-Morningstar 3: Trip into utilt is too good on second stock.
-DMK 1-5: You've seen one, you kinda seen them all. Unfortunately, not all 7 matches were recorded to due shortness of recording space, but here's how the last two went down:

#6: Same crap, except on Halberd. I win. Also, he gets owned by the crane for a cheap KO. Much lulz ensued on my end.
#7: VERY close matchup on Brinstar (Melee). I get a lava KO, the floor gimps my ground game, etc, etc. He wins a good match here (if you can call it that).

I need help vs. Meta Knights like those. Lots of it.

-----

Hopefully the friendlies and other videos should be uploaded soon, so I'll notify you guys then.

So, whaddya think?

(BTW, I got 2nd Place at this event. The DMK matches were the grand finals)

PS: Free steak to whoever can accurately tell me exactly how many tornados were used in those last 5 matches...

PS2: Some have called me a Sonic Masochist, since I've stated to actually enjoy those matches with DMK...I even said they were "fun".

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
How does homing attack stack up against a tornado? I think I saw you use it once, and it got him. It probably was because it went above and into the tornado, but maybe try that as a nado-spam counter?

decent matches btw. I'm starting to pick up sonic, its cool to see how others play him.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
How does homing attack stack up against a tornado? I think I saw you use it once, and it got him. It probably was because it went above and into the tornado, but maybe try that as a nado-spam counter?

decent matches btw. I'm starting to pick up sonic, its cool to see how others play him.
You know, I never though about that. Problem is, is that the tornado usually got too close to really try it, and if I did use HA, three things would happen:

1. I hit him, somehow outprioritizing him.
2. I get hit before, during, or after the HA by hitting the wrong spot, or missing, or during the after lag.
3. He'd end tornado, I'd miss, and he'd punish harshly.

1/3 isn't good enough for me. I want an approach that works more than 1/3 of the time.

Although I did find bairs slightly to the edge of the top of the nado to actually work, but ****...

The nado's almost too fast to really space properly. By the time you jump, you've either been sucked in, or he's retreating to do another. The best I could do during those matches (including the ones I played him in earlier - we played 3 matches earlier during the winners bracket), was run away, and wait for him to do it again so I can try to punish whenever he screwed up.

And thanks DS.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
one thing i noticed... (i only watched the first match)

when u do the running sheild grab, u should try to use side-b>sheild cancel> grab.

mainly because... if u get hit, ur in sheild, and sonic's stationary grab has a lot less delay then his running grab when it misses.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Dude I'm still watching as I type, and I still love your sonic as much as ever. You have some serious survivability prowess. In kitto one I liked how for your second kill you did an smash, missed, then stutter stepped forward and got the kill XD. I love seeing stutter step put to use. And you're right, last stock of that match you went like, superpuff mode XD. Jab Lock in match 2 was too good, I loved how you played that round despite the SD(and its OK, Sonic is naturally gimped by mario stages because they're platforming gameplay is so slow XD).

First snake match was really good, I don't know what to say. Perhaps more ftilts which might have saved you from utilt death? Lol, thats highly nitpicky.

Second match against morningstar, 1:11-1:15 was a very sweet looking 4 seconds lolz =P

Third match was awesome as usual. Ohhh I actually have a tip omg! Lol, if snake plants a landmine at the beginning of the stock, just run over it during your invinvy frames. If he does it later on, explode it later by running shorthop>upB to drop a spring on it. Just to get it out of the way and avoid deathh like on your first stock XD.

LOL @ trip to utilt, hahaha. And LOLy ou pivot tripped at the beginning of snacks last stock XD =P

Now on to the DMK vids...

They were pathetic. On his part. I watched the first match over, only out of indignance. You overall played the matches well, but his spam was disgusting! I understand theres money and rep involved, but come on dude... I watched the match over only to count the times he used an attack other than Tornado, Dsmash, or Shuttle Loop/glideattack. He did a different move ONLY about 25 TIMES, in the entire match. Out of those, less than half connected, and these attacks were about 5 fsmashes, a few dairs here and there, one or 2 grabs, and a single fair. And of these, they were mostly empty moves that didn't even come close to hitting you. Geez. I'm 100 percent against the metaknight ban, but the simple annoyingness of this is frustrating.

Have you read M2K's recently posted tips against MK? Aiming your shield upwards helps alot against being shield poked by tornado. But gosh, I don't know what to say about that spamminess. Kite showed much more technical skill than DMK =/

If sonic had an instant turn around, it would be much easier to run away from tornado. generally against tornado thats what I prefer to do, run away from it if he tries to approach me with it, then run back once its over and punish.

About running shield grab, its awesome, but Side B cancelling allows for more accurate spacing as it totally kills your momentum. It also helps faint because of the spindash sound, as well as the fact that sonic basically "teleports" a few feet in front of where he previously was. I don't consider sideB shieldcancel though to be too effectice as a grabbing method against Mk though, because there is a small vulnerability period between when you input the SideB and the shield, which mks quick moves can punish. Otherwise, sideB grab rox =P

EDIT: About facing that spammy of a tornado, my advice would be to cancel all your runs with a shield rather than screech stop. Don't even like foxtrot, just hold forward and cancel with shield(you can cancel at shield foxtrot distance if your holding forward when you press shield). This will prevent you from being caught in the lag from the screech stop, is safer than a screech stop, and puts you in a position to grab. Again, remember to angle your shield in the direction MK is. If you're in the air though, your best best if to try to hit him our with something =/ You did it with an fair in one of the other matches, as you did with a bair and homing attack. Also you can SDI out of the initial hit.

BTW, LOL at spring bombspam in the second DMK match.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And Kite told me he hadn't played Brawl since it was released... >_>

I actually started to shield up from the tornados in some of the later matches, but either my shield got too small and I got stabbed, or I decided to take the damage, try to di up, and hit him with bair/fair/whatever from there, which worked on several occasions.

Frustrating to watch, definately.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Someone once said that you have to make it so that tornado isn't a viable option anymore, so that your opponent stops using it. It makes perfect sense. Fellow Sonic mains, what do you guys think is the best way to do this with the blue blur? Honestly Puffball, the only thing that guy had on you was tornado. You dealt with shuttle loop spam well, as well as with dsmash. Ever player that spams a move falls into a pattern, and if theres a pattern, then you can beat it out. Tornado spam is just... a meanie pie pattern, lolz. I would say that often times you tried to hit MK outta nade and failed, so perhaps not try to hit him out so much? But as someone suggested, you might want to try HA against it more, as its pretty effective =P. Oh and angle your fsmashes upwards if your going to try to fsmash him out of it =P

BTW, just wanted to point out that 3:37 - 3:40 in video 3 vs DMK was pretty sweet, you manually dodges tornado with a jump, double jump, airdodge, then fmsash for the Kill XD.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Someone once said that you have to make it so that tornado isn't a viable option anymore, so that your opponent stops using it. It makes perfect sense. Fellow Sonic mains, what do you guys think is the best way to do this with the blue blur? Honestly Puffball, the only thing that guy had on you was tornado. You dealt with shuttle loop spam well, as well as with dsmash. Ever player that spams a move falls into a pattern, and if theres a pattern, then you can beat it out. Tornado spam is just... a meanie pie pattern, lolz. I would say that often times you tried to hit MK outta nade and failed, so perhaps not try to hit him out so much? But as someone suggested, you might want to try HA against it more, as its pretty effective =P. Oh and angle your fsmashes upwards if your going to try to fsmash him out of it =P

BTW, just wanted to point out that 3:37 - 3:40 in video 3 vs DMK was pretty sweet, you manually dodges tornado with a jump, double jump, airdodge, then fmsash for the Kill XD.
I was actually thinking before the matches:

"What if I just run every time he uses nado?"

I thought maybe he'd subconsciously stop using it because it would never land. However, I found myself provoked to try and break through it, albeit with mixed results through the matches.

Perhaps just constant running away and dodging it might work.

Top Bottom