• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 1 GB of SSB3D Space Currently Unavailable?

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Last edited:

Meleefan

Smash Cadet
We can hope, we'll know sooner or later.

Edit: Ridley will take up all the blocks. Heh.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hmmm that is interesting...

Wii U hype worthy characters to be downloaded as free DLC later!

There is hope!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This is kind of exciting. I wonder what the 900mb~ left are for? I mean, DLC would be saved on a SD card, so I guess it is not for DLC.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is kind of exciting. I wonder what the 900mb~ left are for? I mean, DLC would be saved on a SD card, so I guess it is not for DLC.
Patches, presumably? But if that's the case, how much space would patches need to take up?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Patches, presumably? But if that's the case, how much space would patches need to take up?
Well there is a day one patch but it didn't sound too big.

Looks like those guys were time constrained after all.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Patches would be saved in the SD card as well. I think whatever those 900mbs are, they must be in the physical version of the game.

Oh well, we can only wait.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
By the way, installation sizes are normally larger than the resulting space taken up. Some things get compressed once they're installed. If I had to guess, that would include Stages, Music, and the like. While there's definitely a chance it's for "unreleased content", odds are it's just compressed once it's installed to save space.

For other examples, look at the stated space for installing a Steam game, then look at the game's actual disk footprint after it installs. It's almost always smaller.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
By the way, installation sizes are normally larger than the resulting space taken up. Some things get compressed once they're installed. If I had to guess, that would include Stages, Music, and the like. While there's definitely a chance it's for "unreleased content", odds are it's just compressed once it's installed to save space.

For other examples, look at the stated space for installing a Steam game, then look at the game's actual disk footprint after it installs. It's almost always smaller.
Yea but half the intended size? I don't see a 20 GB game installing for 10 GB...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yea but half the intended size? I don't see a 20 GB game installing for 10 GB...
My numbers may be off, but I seem to recall Total War Shogun 2 taking over 30 gigs initially, and then only having around 20 gigs on the computer afterwards. It's just a theory, I'm as hopeful as the rest that it stands for unseen content.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My numbers may be off, but I seem to recall Total War Shogun 2 taking over 30 gigs initially, and then only having around 20 gigs on the computer afterwards. It's just a theory, I'm as hopeful as the rest that it stands for unseen content.
Its not just the roster that's lacking in my eyes. In fact, the roster as a whole (although unbalanced) has quite a large cast. The game's content overall is lacking, though. That's the big issue with Smash 3DS. There's far less content than Melee, while there's far more unlockables for that small amount of content available.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Its not just the roster that's lacking in my eyes. In fact, the roster as a whole (although unbalanced) has quite a large cast. The game's content overall is lacking, though. That's the big issue with Smash 3DS. There's far less content than Melee, while there's far more unlockables for that small amount of content available.
I think that may be a slightly skewed feeling, since the VS count for unlocks is very low, and most of the stages unlock with their corresponding characters. It does feel a bit light, but not terribly lacking over all. It also depends on what you count as an unlockable to work towards - I consider the customizations all worthy unlocks on par with characters and stages. But I dunno, I'll kinda have to judge for myself once I get the game. At least in highschool it would take me a few days of average non-blitzing play to unlock everything, we'll see if that holds here as well.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
This is a bit off topic, but thanks for reminding of that game. I need to get it.

Back to topic:

This case is still intriguing... I hope there is DLC and more content to be offered though!

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Does anyone feel that the 3DS version held back Smash a bit too much? I keep looking at that New 3DS and thinking to myself 'I wonder how that's going to work into all of this?'

IronFish

Smash Ace
Huh... this is actually really interesting, I think some more... curious people could see what that is exactly, I mean on Pokemon X/Y there were unrevealed megas for Latios and Latias

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Only problem is most Nintendo regulated DLC(that is, for every 3DS game including Fire Emblem, Mario Golf, etc.) is installed to an SD card. Soo, IDK what this extra space is.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
So 1.1 GB for 49 characters, 30 stages, 60 songs, online support, and smash run, and 1 GB for 5 characters? Good luck with that.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
So 1.1 GB for 49 characters, 30 stages, 60 songs, online support, and smash run, and 1 GB for 5 characters? Good luck with that.
No it's one GB for Ridley get it right.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Who said its 1 GB for 5 characters? If anything half that would be due to compression, but a full GB of just uncompressing data? That's some damn good compression if that's the case. It wouldn't just be for 5 characters, if anything it'd be 5 characters, 6 stages, a few AT's, and new game modes.

Either way, I don't expect anything. It just seems like too much missing space. I could understand Compression, but taking away half of the space via compression? I didn't think that was possible (maybe its possible to take off maybe 30%, but not half).

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Who said its 1 GB for 5 characters? If anything half that would be due to compression, but a full GB of just uncompressing data? That's some damn good compression if that's the case. It wouldn't just be for 5 characters, if anything it'd be 5 characters, 6 stages, a few AT's, and new game modes.

Either way, I don't expect anything. It just seems like too much missing space. I could understand Compression, but taking away half of the space via compression? I didn't think that was possible (maybe its possible to take off maybe 30%, but not half).
That was pretty much my point. There's way too much unused space to suggest that any significant amount of it would be for DLC

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman

I just checked with a friend who has the game digitally. Installed the games is over 9000 blocks.

So no compression.

R0Y

Smash Master
No. 3DS games are printed on a type of ROM. ROM means read-only memory. There's a tiny bit of space for saving but that is it. DLC saves to the SD Card in 3DS titles that support it.

The game just isn't as big as that Japanese advertising said, that is all. It must be a 2 GB card and only like 1.1 GB filled instead.

Not to mention, that eshop size wouldn't make sense anyway unless it were reserving a higher amount than it said for the game, which makes no sense because some people's SD cards would be getting full.

Last edited:

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
But it doesn't make any sense, why say 17000 blocks? Why lie? This is the first time I have ever seen a game lie about it's space.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The 2.1 GB, is that from the actual box or that preview from the other week?

R0Y

Smash Master
But it doesn't make any sense, why say 17000 blocks? Why lie? This is the first time I have ever seen a game lie about it's space.
Just an error. Game is 9,320 blocks, might vary slightly by region but there's no magic flash chip on the card or hidden compartment in the eShop download.

The 2.1 GB, is that from the actual box or that preview from the other week?
Based on the advertising spead that leaked out of Japan a couple weeks ago IIRC. Was reported widely but the number is just wrong.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It's probably just stored on a 2GB compatible card due to the game size during and after development, I imagine. They're either incorrect about the card size, or it's just got spare room due to the reasons I stated above.

R0Y

Smash Master
It's probably just stored on a 2GB compatible card due to the game size during and after development, I imagine. They're either incorrect about the card size, or it's just got spare room due to the reasons I stated above.
Since it's over a gigabyte but under 2, it must be. Doesn't explain the extra .1 GB. Really it must have just been an error.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
While I don't know why its as big as they claimed, I'm glad I can have enough space to actually have the game on my SD card. (I honestly expected the game initially, to be gigantic for a 3ds game)

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I don't think some of you realize how much wizardry Nintendo has when it comes to compression. A lot of 3DS games are extremely small, but should be much bigger.

I can guarantee you, it's probably all compression.

Unless I am mistaken, the logic doesn't even make sense to assume they could be hidden in that unused space. They would already just be in the game if they're special unlocks, meaning they wouldn't have to be written to the cartridge or added in some way to fill up the space. If there are extra characters, they would be part of the already used data, not empty data. You're not ADDING characters to the cartridge. That's not how that works.

And if it was DLC, it would be saved to the SD card.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Maybe they'll do like they do with Kingdom Hearts, where they'll release a basic version in Japan, the western release gets a little bit of more content, and then Japan gets a Final Mix version that has a ton of more content that's Japanese exclusive.
:smash: I have no idea what I'm talking about. This has nothing to do with memory. Ah well.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Just when you think your most wanted character kicked the bucket, this bit of info gives you that last little light of hope that they still have a chance.

Rakath

Smash Ace
It could be DLC, not all DLC is downloaded. Which is misleading, I know, but listen. If character/stage/AT/Item data is 'locked' until opened (time locked, patch-locked, Wii-U connection locked, what have you), if you bought the cart version of the game the reason might be you have limited access to wireless connections and data. A few hundred kb patch vs. a huge data package is easier for those in that situation, those with the eShop game were already able to put their downloading skillz to use.

Now, of course, this means the locked data was prepared at gold date. But... it's possible for it to be DLC.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I wouldn't count on anything to be honest. That way when and if something does happen I can be surprised by it.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I wouldn't count on anything to be honest. That way when and if something does happen I can be surprised by it.
Yay, pessimism!

But seriously, this is a good mindset. I think that it could be used for patches- we already got the Conquest patch. Maybe something else will come along. Language options maybe?

Top Bottom