• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1 = 2 ?!

psicicle

Smash Ace
cool, I figured all of them out except the recurring 1+1-1+1-1 repeating which turns out not to... well that would give it away I guess, and the a+b=c thing, although I found the answer and felt kinda dumb because I figured out the a=b one.

I saw the calculus one before but I couldn't figure it out, and I know the answer and I think that one is the most convincing one.

And I don't wanna be a math major... maybe a minor or something.

Here is something mathy

how do you make 11+11=111?

mark.

Smash Journeyman
That's not what he did. The square root of a fraction is equal the sqrt of the numerator over the sqrt of the denominator. That's perfectly legal.

Uh, no he's not. He just divided both sides by 2.

Edit: He didn't screw up step 3 or step 5. But there is one equation that's blatantly wrong.

If you're 13 why do you have Faraday's Law in your signature?
yeah i didnt know how to type the square root of somthing into a post, so i did x^.5 :p

and thanks AltF4. although that isnt correct, one of them is wrongg. doesnt look like it though :D:D

and Pi=3 in your face, BIBLE STYLE.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
You wish any of these were true. Try entering them in code, they come up with error messages.
To the joke in your post: hahaha :laugh::laugh::laugh:

To the underlying hostility towards mathematical proofs and the subtle yet undeniable reverence of modern programming language in your post: :urg:Well, mathematics is the most fundamental "science", and programming is a derivative of it... In other words, "math" is more accurate and perfect than "code". :urg:

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I'm not saying the math is flawed... actually yes I am. Those statements are false, substitute the variable for values and they get all screwed up.

Screw it, I'm smiling and nodding.

psicicle

Smash Ace
The point of these is to find the mistakes in the operations and stuff I think.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Point?! There is no point, except to bask in the amazingness of math in its full glory.

Oh, and F&V, how can my statements be false if I just proved them true? Ehh? Yes, my logic is as undeniable as my math.

Made you look! Haha

Hyrulean21

Smash Apprentice
I really hope no one actually believes there is any truth in these. There's an error or two in each of them. They were kind of fun, to figure out, though. But I'm a math guy.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Well, there is no flaw in any of them assuming that there is constant value in the variables equal to....

Haha, made you look. Smile and nod everyone, we need to smile and nod!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Math and Science aren't exact truths. They constantly change and new stuff gets added on and taken away. These weird formulas are proof that math and Science aren't exact. By this rule, the term "exact" shouldn't even exist.

Agi

Smash Lord
This just in, infinity equals zero!

(1 + (-1)) + (2 + (-2)) + (3 + (-3)) +... = 0 + 0 + 0 + ... = 0
When you combine all the infinite numbers, the result is zero...

But, when you switch things up...

(1 + (0)) + (2 + (-1)) + (3 + (-2)) +... = 1 + 1 + 1 + ... = inf.

Infinity equals infinity! so, which will it be?

Man, I rofled so hard at this thread. I wonder how many people will actually apply this to their math class? /sarcasm

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Math and Science aren't exact truths. They constantly change and new stuff gets added on and taken away. These weird formulas are proof that math and Science aren't exact. By this rule, the term "exact" shouldn't even exist.
I'd argue the opposite on math. That's the whole appeal of math.

As for science in general, of course it's not exact. That's the whole point of it and modern scientific theory. The very definition is that it's not "certain" of anything. Nothing is ever certain, only repeatable by testing of hypotheses. That does not mean, however, that all science is "tentative" or that nothing can ever be proclaimed correct. When something is consistently shown to yield the right results or support a certain hypothesis, it is evidence that can essentially be taken as fact.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I'd argue the opposite on math. That's the whole appeal of math.

As for science in general, of course it's not exact. That's the whole point of it and modern scientific theory. The very definition is that it's not "certain" of anything. Nothing is ever certain, only repeatable by testing of hypotheses. That does not mean, however, that all science is "tentative" or that nothing can ever be proclaimed correct. When something is consistently shown to yield the right results or support a certain hypothesis, it is evidence that can essentially be taken as fact.
Math, Science, they are pretty much in the same group (and don't say I'm wrong, I know physics [OK, the basics])

I'm glad you get the basis of Science though.

Amide

Smash Lord
You add info to a just recently active one year old thread. That's awesome. The math is even cooler. Why does it even work though?

Agi

Smash Lord
The bible gave the value of pi as three.

You can't argue with the bible. Anyway, which is easier to say?

3, or

from memory :)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
The bible gave the value of pi as three.

You can't argue with the bible. Anyway, which is easier to say?

3, or

from memory :)
I think your
memory
broken.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
You add info to a just recently active one year old thread. That's awesome. The math is even cooler. Why does it even work though?
It doesn't work. If you've used mathematics to prove that 2=1 or something equals something that it doesn't, then you've made a mistake. It's just the rules.

ajw tko

Smash Rookie
he screwed up, but in explaining it I would make so many mistakes that it would be worthless so I wont try. Let's just say he's right and go on with life ok?

Top Bottom