• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.10 Patch - Coming 7.31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Preparing for the inevitable, there's no doubt we'll need to make a thread for this. For the time being, we're only aware of new content, but it certainly seems like there may be a balance patch in store. As a result, I've made this thread for Greninja, specifically. The Competitive Board will likely have a general patch discussion.

Changes to Greninja:
Buffs
Water Shuriken
  • Startup decreased
Nerfs

Neutral Changes
DThrow:
  • Damage Reduction 6 -> 5
  • Endlag reduced (works with footstools and other setups now)
Bugfix
  • Water Shuriken will properly bounce in the air now at all times.

Buffs

Nerfs

Neutral Changes

At the very least, I will be updating this with placebos as well if I find anything major that isn't confirmed. Any other threads and topics that are made about the patch will be locked, so keep patch discussion limited to here.

If there are no changes, then there's no changes. It may happen, but we should be prepared.

Godspeed, my ninja frog brethren.

Thanks to @ Camalange Camalange for reminding me about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I will update this post to keep a catalogue of all the "better nerf greninja" posts.

not really though

:093:

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
No nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf no nerf please...

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I'm sure we won't get any nerfs. Greninja is hardly a big player both competitively or in For Glory. We already got buffed once so I think the worst that can happen to us is no buffs and Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel removed because it's a bug.

Otherwise, I'll do my usual praying for a normal standing grab routine.

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
We already got buffed once so I think the worst that can happen to us is no buffs and Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel removed because it's a bug.
Is it really though? You would think if it was it would've been phased out in the last couple of patches but maybe it's just intentional. One can hope anyway... I've been using it alot lately with immense success.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Is it really though? You would think if it was it would've been phased out in the last couple of patches but maybe it's just intentional. One can hope anyway... I've been using it alot lately with immense success.
Greninja is a rare sight so I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai just hasn't noticed it yet.

It being intentional would be really weird too. I mean, if that was the case they could make a tip about it or something.

Schiffe

PK Love
NNID
Schiffe
What's up, going to check out the 1.10 patch tommorow inside out see if we can get another full confirmed change log.

I wonder if Thinkaman is around so I can give him the data unpacked..

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
It's still in. I just tested it against Sheik's rapid jab and MK's tornado.
Huh, really? I was testing it out against ZSS's stun gun. We were able to SS out of that before this.

edit
whoops, just confirmed yeah.

Well we can't get out of the stun gun anymore, if that counts for anything. lol

Last edited:

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
See? Is it really unintentional? Who knows... There are things that are intentional but aren't listed in tooltips as far as I know, like Mac's UpB being able to break out of hitstun due to being frame 1 invincible, same with Marth/Lucina's UpB as well right?

As for shurikens being faster I KIND OF feel it, but I can't tell if it's placebo or not.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I have two 3DS and will test Greninja's changes, among other characters.

ZSS's Stun Gun thing is likely a change to her.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody confirmed shurikens have less start-up? I think I got hit by placebo lol

Doing a side by side with a 1.08 3DS and a 1.10 Wii U, I'm noticing a slight difference especially when I set them both to 1/4 speed. Like, I'm even trying to press the B button on the 3DS first and it's still coming out earlier on the wii U. Still not 100% confirmation, but it's looking like this might be real.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Shurikens definitely seem a bit faster to me. More spammable.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Joining the confirm train about uncharged shuriken having less start up. Compared side by side my 3DS with the old patch and Wii U with the new one. Definitely not the best way to compare, but it's definitely faster but a few frames.

Also confirming that dthrow got NERFED by 1% using the same methods.

Last edited:

purifiedJAMZ

Smash Rookie
Water Shuriken startup is noticeably faster. When you use it the air though, Greninja does a tiny hop in the air when thrown. This was in the previous patches but now it seems more consistent.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Water Shuriken startup is noticeably faster. When you use it the air though, Greninja does a tiny hop in the air when thrown. This was in the previous patches but now it seems more consistent.
Actually, yes, this appears to be the case. Previously, Greninja would not hop in the air if he used Shuriken in the air right before landing last time he was in the air (including if bounced just above the ground). Now it appears to always bounce in the air. Sounds like a minor bug fix.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Joining the confirm train about uncharged shuriken having less start up. Compared side by side my 3DS with the old patch and Wii U with the new one. Definitely not the best way to compare, but it's definitely faster but a few frames.

Also confirming that dthrow got NERFED by 1% using the same methods.
On the other hand, the endlag on d-throw seems to be a bit less. Not sure if placebo. Can't find any combos for it.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
This is probably been around in the last patch, when you hit a wall with hydro pump you just bounce a little fall to your death. Well iam purposefully hitting the wall and I bounce high enough snap to the ledge, is this a change? Tested on FD battlefield.

eh probably a placebo.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
So now we can space zone etc. better with faster shurikens and if u throw won't do the trick, we can go for a d throw frame trap or kill at certain percent, overall very nice changes. Good day to be a greninja main.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Here's what I've gathered so far.
  • Greninja's down throw had damage reduction as you noted (6%-5%), but endlag has been slightly decreased and it combos better into stuff (into footstool setups, might I add!)
  • Water Shuriken's endlag has decreased. Can't say how much but it's a lot more like v3DS. Sadly don't have the old version to compare it to.
  • [Bugfix]: Greninja's Water Shuriken now properly shorthops when used in the air. Previously, it didn't always do so. I'll get more footage of this as it's hard to get, but it definitely is more consistent.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
This whole post is a lie. D throw has like no hitstun whatsoever

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
omg i'm in love with these shurikens.
I feel like I can just jump around and throw these things for days. <3

May I ask what percent does d-throw start comboing into f-air?

Coffee™

I need it....
omfg they buffed dthrow and shurikens.....

O_O

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
The D throw buff is the most amazing thing to ever happen to us.

D throw into up smash is really good on heavies and fast fallers, and can definitely KO at aroun 80-85%. I'm not sure if it's true, I need to test more, but it seems pretty close to true.

D throw to fair at high % is a true combo and KOs. Thank you so much Sakurai.
Wait D-Throw -> Up-Smash is a true combo on certain characters?

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
No, D throw has almost no hit stun to it and you can act almost immediately. It's not a good option like up throw is.
The combos only work in training mode folks :( at least as far as I can tell. I can't get a warm body to test on without playing online which will mess everything up

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
No, D throw has almost no hit stun to it and you can act almost immediately. It's not a good option like up throw is.
The combos only work in training mode folks :( at least as far as I can tell. I can't get a warm body to test on without playing online which will mess everything up
Would going against a lvl 9 allow some testing as they insta air dodge out of not true combos?

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Not really, because they are frame perfect and can do things most humans cannot.

I'm honestly not sure yet if dthrow -> fair is true at high %, but the fact that we can now jump up and get an air dodge read instead of waiting underneath is still a buff.

And we got faster shurikens, so I'm happy overall. I just wish d throw had a bit more hitstun and these would be some broken combos.

Edit: I believe at a high % the hitstun on down throw increases, meaning dthrow -> fair is likely true and KOs. It's just kinda in that grey area that doesn't work online or against CPUs

If true this gives us a reliable KO option in Greninja's kinda awkward %s where up throw doesn't net anything but won't KO yet, and makes us incredibly potent.

Last edited:

purifiedJAMZ

Smash Rookie
About d-throw to f-air, you can't do it with the standing grab. You have dash grab and then immediately down throw to give yourself momentum for the f-air to connect before the hitstun is gone.

I don't know if it works on all characters but I tried it on Sheik around the 125%~ - 140%~ mark. I don't know but it's possible it could DIable too..

So basically, it's extremely situational. Sorry I got people excited, I should have tested it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom