• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta 1.1.4 Marth Changes

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Sorry for the mistakes in the original post based on the video before the patch. Proceed below for 1.1.4 Marth changes! Wooo!

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
LMAO, this is all so wrong that instead of going through all of it with you I urge you to read the Marth General thread for once. Read from where we started talking about his buffs. No but seriously because I don't have time at the moment.

Edit: in the meantime wanna remove this stuff because you're spreading misinformation

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
There's a lot of assumptions made on this thread from that video. Come Wednesday, there will be work done to view the differences this current build of the game and the new one. Locking.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
This is what I've noticed so far in training mode for Marth. (so no freshness bonus). All tests were done on a 0% Mario.

Nair 1:
Sour: 3% -> 3.5% (2 sours did 7% to Mario)
Tipper: 4% -> 5%

Fair:
Sour: 7% -> 8%
Tipper: 10% -> 11.5% (2 tippers did 23% to Mario)

Uair:
Sour: 9% -> 9.5% (2 hits did 19% to Mario)
Tipper: 12% -> 13%

Dair:
Meteor: 14% -> 15%
Tipper: 13% -> 14%
Sour: 11% -> 12%

Bair:
Tipper: 12% -> 12.5% (2 tippers did 25% to Mario)

Last edited:

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
Up smashed buffed. Jab "buffed" and the tipper changes ofc. All I know for now.

Up smashed has a bigger ground hit box and just the sword does 16% uncharged, if the ground boxes hit its 17%

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
So apparently I can do down throw to (one step) turn around up tilt and it true combos at 0%. Has it always been like this?

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Confirmed Marth buffs so far.

Greater damage on air attacks

jab utilt and ftilt duration reduced by 3 frames each.

dsmash duration reduced
  1. :4marth:Marth
    • Nair First Hit Sour/Tipper Damage: 3/4 -> 3.5/5
    • Nair Second Hit Sour/Tipper Damage: 7/9 -> 7/9.5
    • Fair Sour/Tipper Damage: 7/10 -> 8/11.5
    • Bair Tipper Damage: 12 -> 12.5
    • Uair Sour/Tipper Damage: 9/12 -> 9.5/13
    • Dair Sour/Sweet/Meteor Damage: 11/13/14 -> 12/14/15
    • Jab 1 Duration: 28F -> 25F
    • Ftilt Duration: 36F -> 33F
    • Dsmash Duration: 64F -> 54F

Greater range on a fair bair dtilt and ftilt

Greater kill power on air attacks

-----

Thoughts and questions

-the increased damage to Nair and uair may make the jump side b combos even more viable.

-great damage of dair seems to make it possible to get follow ups after hit more easily and is safer on shield.

-I haven't noticed fair or bair to be perceivably safer on shield :/ although they probably are

-Nair seems to have increased functionality and combo follow-up potential. I can fastfall use it as a tech chase seemingly different from before.

I will edit out anything that is confirmed placebo. It seems there is a lot to hope for in this patch.

Last edited:

Reiks

Smash Rookie
Was marth always able to cancel an immediate fair with a jump out of SH? I seem to be doing this.Plus out of a SH marths immediate fair autocancels?

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Yes, that's always been that way. Auto cancel fair requires timing, too soon and you get landing lag, obviously.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
Wow the end lag reductions are quite nice. I thought Jab 1, Dsmash, and Utilt felt faster in training mode but I couldn't tell if it was just placebo. Glad it's confirmed!

Marth feels so much better overall with this patch. I'm very pleased, especially if the hitbox changes turn out to be true.

Dano2688

Smash Rookie
I haven't had the chance to try out this new patch, but for what i'm reading, as a Marth main i'm very excited he's been improoved in significant ways. Keep the updates coming, please.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Wow the end lag reductions are quite nice. I thought Jab 1, Dsmash, and Utilt felt faster in training mode but I couldn't tell if it was just placebo. Glad it's confirmed!

Marth feels so much better overall with this patch. I'm very pleased, especially if the hitbox changes turn out to be true.
Bowserboy3 posted some pics in the general thread that seemingly prove the changes to be true. I trust his method as I've used it before.

...now if only dtilt could shuffle Marth forward again.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Faster jab utilt and ftilt by 3 more frames each.

Significantly faster dsmash
Being a little picky here, but I think you should clarify that what's faster is the end lag/cool down. Just saying "faster," some people might think they come out quicker.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Noob question. I'm probably overthinking this, but what is "duration" referring to? is marth's down smash faster or something?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Noob question. I'm probably overthinking this, but what is "duration" referring to? is marth's down smash faster or something?
Yes, but it is unspecified if its faster startup or ending animation or a combination of the two. I'd tell you what it is if I was at home testing it myself.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Duration refers to the overall time of the move. In this case, reduced duration just means they shaved off frames at the end, so there's less time it takes before you can do something else.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
I'm loving the new knockback buffs and jab confirms

If they could fix Dair I'd be pretty content with Marth in Smash 4

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Is what Vipermoon Vipermoon said about tipper length changes confirmed? I'm labbing marth and I kinda feel an extended reach but like he said it could be a placebo.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Any reason no 1 is talking about the up-smash ground hit boxes being buffed? BOYS NOTICE PLS
The dust cloud seems the same to me.

Gemba Board Gemba Board it's not placebo but just wait for the game data. No need to try prove anything when you know that's coming

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Any reason no 1 is talking about the up-smash ground hit boxes being buffed? BOYS NOTICE PLS
I want to believe. Anyways, once people get a thorough look of the data dump, things like any potential hitbox changes will be more clear.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Another thing I noticed, definitely with nair, but it seems that marth can fastfall much sooner after any air attack after a short hop. This is pretty great for landing on stage spikes after trump regrabs, similar to tlinks dair or something. Idk, see what you guys think.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Another thing I noticed, definitely with nair, but it seems that marth can fastfall much sooner after any air attack after a short hop. This is pretty great for landing on stage spikes after trump regrabs, similar to tlinks dair or something. Idk, see what you guys think.
Not how that works though.

There is a jump acceleration and there is gravity (fall speed acceleration) which works against that. This determines your short hop and full hop heights/air times (and of course, during your full hop you'll reach maximum fall speed eventually). When you start falling you can fast fall. So it doesn't really make sense to say that he can fast fall earlier.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Not how that works though.

There is a jump acceleration and there is gravity (fall speed acceleration) which works against that. This determines your short hop and full hop heights/air times (and of course, during your full hop you'll reach maximum fall speed eventually). When you start falling you can fast fall. So it doesn't really make sense to say that he can fast fall earlier.
Hmm, well maybe he's slightly less floaty, or the attacks animations are just better designed somehow, but certainly there is more different than just damage output.

Or maybe hitboxes are just bigger

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Just confirmed that Marcina and Roy had a startup reduction of one frame on Side B 1. Total frames reduced by one because of that. Followup attacks do not seem to have frame or input window changes.

Izaw

Smash Ace
Marths range on his Fair seems to have been increased.

Remember how Sheiks fair out ranged Marths? Well I tried that again, where I put Marth and Sheik facing each other, with just enough range so that sheik can't actually hit him with Fair anymore, and Marths Fair now actually hits HER. What is up with this??

Also... Forward throw into fair/nair/bair/neutral b is a true combo now on players with bad/no DI at 0-30%.... Since when 0_o?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Marths range on his Fair seems to have been increased.

Remember how Sheiks fair out ranged Marths? Well I tried that again, where I put Marth and Sheik facing each other, with just enough range so that sheik can't actually hit him with Fair anymore, and Marths Fair now actually hits HER. What is up with this??

Also... Forward throw into fair/nair/bair/neutral b is a true combo now on players with bad/no DI at 0-30%.... Since when 0_o?
I found that they had the same Fair range. But yes, it was already found in the official patch notes discusion thread that the tipper hitbox (or for Lucina, the second hitbox) was moved outward, effectively increasing Fair's range. Dtilt and Ftilt are other moves that received the same treatment (and Ftilt outranges Fsmash).

Fthrow seems the same really. The longer range Fair makes it easier to combo into.

Broqan

Smash Rookie
did uptilt used to reach the smashville platform? I just killed a shiek at 119 percent with the sweetspot.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
did uptilt used to reach the smashville platform? I just killed a shiek at 119 percent with the sweetspot.
Of course it did.

Utilt is the same strength. Still kills another Marth from the ground at 127 on SV/FD/DL.

nebulark

Smash Rookie
Was Marth always able to hit some characters with f-smash on the battlefield plattforms? I tested the following characters:

Rob - Extremely easy, no misses
Kirby - Almost as easy
Megaman, while holding metalblade (prevents idle animation) - Difficult but possible, consistent when you have good positioning
Zero Suit Samus - Hit pretty often, but could be idle animation
Shiek and Mario - Almost impossible, probably only in idle animation

If this wasn't before, the f smash definitely got an increase in range.
Can somebody test this in 1.1.3? Best is probably megaman, while he holds metal blade.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Can you or anyone check if Marth is just faster in general somehow, on ground or air?
I know that his walking acceleration is up. I don't know how to prove it though.

Top Bottom