• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.0.8 Lucina Changed: Jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
It's not about skill as a player, it's about knowing which things click well with your mind. Certain things will click better with certain people, and that has nothing to do with skill. So have fun, because if you're not doing that, then you shouldn't be playing. That's why I quit playing CoD and Heroes. Smash has so much going for it now... Downloading custom maps, buffs that are making things more interesting... :)

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
I am currently maining lucina, and i find jab1 to be quite the combo setterupper. jab1 to f-smash, jab1 to down-tilt(to grab).

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I am currently maining lucina, and i find jab1 to be quite the combo setterupper. jab1 to f-smash, jab1 to down-tilt(to grab).
Yeah. Jab1 to fair as well, RAR bair most likely, it is a definite improvement. You can also do first hit of nair into jab1 near the ground which of course is useful as well.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
Jab to ftilt, jab to utilt,jab to dtilt, jab to ds, jab to dsmash, jab to fsmash, jab to nair, jab to fair, jab to uair, jab to db, jab to jab, jab to jab2... I think jab1 is the best move lucina/marth has got now being the fastest and least punishable move... now being able to pressure shields enough with jab1jab2 for shield breaker to be successful... I still don't understand the damage reduction though... and still think lucina needs a little more buffs to be at the level of other characters, but more importantly to be separated from marth...

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Jab to ftilt, jab to utilt,jab to dtilt, jab to ds, jab to dsmash, jab to fsmash, jab to nair, jab to fair, jab to uair, jab to db, jab to jab, jab to jab2... I think jab1 is the best move lucina/marth has got now being the fastest and least punishable move... now being able to pressure shields enough with jab1jab2 for shield breaker to be successful... I still don't understand the damage reduction though... and still think lucina needs a little more buffs to be at the level of other characters, but more importantly to be separated from marth...
I wouldn't have a problem with them being buffed of course, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the two of them being so similar.

Nyhte

Smash Cadet
There doesn't seem to be any other changes
A few changes would be pretty cool

- The ability to turn around with dancing blades

- Dancing blades to be more like PM/melee (pls) because they feel underwhelming, to me at least

- Lucina is now the only character that can dash dance in the game (to the fullest extent, not just dashing in place)

All would give her a differentiation from Marth in feel and ability besides pure numbers

I'd also just settle for full dash dancing for everyone though

I don't think she needs to be separated from Marth but she could definitely use something or other to support her as a good, viable character

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, as she is more aggresive, she should have a buff for less startup and ending, but not marth, so she can catch up more and have people stop using frame data against her.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
What's this about dash dancing? Overall, all this info is pretty interesting. I have to work on my timing to make more use out of jabs. But overall, I really like how Lucina is feeling right now. And with my recent S support with Robin in Awakening, I've made true the "waifu" claim. :D

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Yeah Lucina is pretty good right now overall. I've told myself before that I could main her like this for the rest of this game's existence. And I will of course. If they do buff her then good, whatever. But she and Marth both feel perfectly fine at the moment.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
For me marth is a punish oriented character... meanwhile lucina is a defensive attacker... so I would like lucina to have faster attacks... not all just some moves... but as theBlueSpirit said I wouldn't mind if they keep them like that...

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
In my opinion, as she is more aggresive, she should have a buff for less startup and ending, but not marth, so she can catch up more and have people stop using frame data against her.
I get what ur sayn but then that would make Marth fail in comparison 2 her. If lucina gets a buff like the just make the tipper as large as roy's sweet spot then it would b fair game

The both of them are very subpar characters and I would like for both of them 2 b better. I rather hear ppl talk about ing buffing both than jus one.Lucina iz baby marth and I wish for both of them 2 b viable. I do not understand why the players in the marth and Lucy community seem so divided, i'mgetting tired of seeing it. They dnt need smelting 2 make them different so they can be better. What they both need iz buffs so they can fight and be viable jus as much as the top ten.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I get what ur sayn but then that would make Marth fail in comparison 2 her. If lucina gets a buff like the just make the tipper as large as roy's sweet spot then it would b fair game

The both of them are very subpar characters and I would like for both of them 2 b better. I rather hear ppl talk about ing buffing both than jus one.Lucina iz baby marth and I wish for both of them 2 b viable. I do not understand why the players in the marth and Lucy community seem so divided, i'mgetting tired of seeing it. They dnt need smelting 2 make them different so they can be better. What they both need iz buffs so they can fight and be viable jus as much as the top ten.
I know what you mean. Also, usually all I see is people talking about them needing to be buffed and stuff like that, and not any focus whatsoever on finding out what they can do now. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's obvious they need to be buffed. If you're not Sheik or Rosalina, you probably need to be buffed.

Personally I'm just gonna patient, because I'm sure they'll be buffed eventually. Until then, it's probably best to work with what we have.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
I know what you mean. Also, usually all I see is people talking about them needing to be buffed and stuff like that, and not any focus whatsoever on finding out what they can do now. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's obvious they need to be buffed. If you're not Sheik or Rosalina, you probably need to be buffed.

Personally I'm just gonna patient, because I'm sure they'll be buffed eventually. Until then, it's probably best to work with what we have.
I agree with wat ur sayn. My main can never change unless Lyn iz introduced as a character bcz she was the 1st fire emblem character I played with and my 1st waifu. Honestly I feel marth and Lucy are balanced characters. Their move sets and everything seems fair and they require a lot of skill 2 use especially if u play them offensively.

I am more offense oriented so the only buffs I want them 2 have is better approach options and combos or reliable strings.

Last edited:

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I'm not against marth... and I know lucina is supposed to be marth alternate costume... but sadly or luckily they are different characters... and I would like them to have some more interesting differences that reward different styles of playing... but that's only an opinion...

About jab... I don't know if this had been talked about, but jab may whiff if the opponent is too close which can be annoying some times specially when trying to beat dashgrabs...

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm not against marth... and I know lucina is supposed to be marth alternate costume... but sadly or luckily they are different characters... and I would like them to have some more interesting differences that reward different styles of playing... but that's only an opinion...
idk, I'm just glad she's in the game, and after all these patches, isn't bad. In the early days of the Smash 4 pre-release I was hoping that we'd get Robin and Lucina, but felt pretty sure that we'd just be getting Ike and Marth for Fire Emblem reps (again). But now we have FIVE Fire Emblem characters in this game, 4 of which are (now) solid mid/upper-mid tier. So because of that it doesn't bother me at all that she's a Marth clone.

About jab... I don't know if this had been talked about, but jab may whiff if the opponent is too close which can be annoying some times specially when trying to beat dashgrabs...
Oh, does it? Wouldn't surprise me since a number of character also have/had hitbox issues on a few of their moves. I think that someone was also saying somewhere that a couple of other moves of Marth's and Lucina's have minor hitbox issues too.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I know Jab1 will whiff if the opponent is behind you. Really bizarre too, since the sword trail goes through them a good distance.

Forgive me for not keeping up with this thread, but how long has jab1>grab been a true combo? Does jab1>anything else true combo, or come close to being a TC?

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
It looks like I have quite a few things to practice on to up my game. Enjoying what I'm seeing so far, and I agree that we need to work on what we have now instead of only wishing for more.

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
wait, im missing out on jab to grab!? i never knew!

And on the other hand robin. hew so dang gimmicky its insane. i know we all want marth and lucy buffed, but pay attention to robin.Hes not my main but i think hes just to subpar of a character now.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
yes jab to everything... the only options you have to keep in mind is does my opponent like to jump out of jab?... or does he prefer to attack?...

I as a robin user think he only need a better recovery everything else is perfect... he/she has a huge learning curve a true tactician indeed...

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I like the first hit of nair to jab combo... it's tricky but would be good for catching opponents off guard. Then again, a lot of what Lucina can do looks good on paper, but I have trouble doing much of it and rely on a one hit and read/punish form of attack...

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
when it comes to it, i throw out a lot of fairs and bairs out of full hop. I don't like nair out of shorthop because you have to fast fall and shield grab basicly covers all of lucinas short hop options.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Based on my experience, fairs get punished easily on shield. However, retreating fairs and bairs just feel weird to me. I'm not really quite sure what to do anymore. I think I'll just go back to playing Awakening. :)

Nah

Smash Champion
Based on my experience, fairs get punished easily on shield. However, retreating fairs and bairs just feel weird to me. I'm not really quite sure what to do anymore. I think I'll just go back to playing Awakening. :)
Ya just gotta keep doin' 'em until it doesn't feel weird anymore is all.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I have a Gamecube controller, if I'm not doing so well on that, then what gives? I also got myself a Link fight pad. Horrible feel on the joystick on that, though. I think at this point, what doesn't feel weird is filling out more support logs in Awakening.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I have a Gamecube controller, if I'm not doing so well on that, then what gives? I also got myself a Link fight pad. Horrible feel on the joystick on that, though. I think at this point, what doesn't feel weird is filling out more support logs in Awakening.
Should I feel bad that I haven't played much of that game? Cause I don't

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
...And that's why I don't get super pro master at any game, because I enjoy playing a good variety of different games and would rather not bow down and worship one game just so I can be what other people consider "very good." In the eyes of any common person, I'd appear to play extremely well. That's good enough for me, because when a game stops being fun, that's when I stop playing.

I just don't spend 7+ hours a day on one game anywhere near as much as I used to when I was younger, and when I am spending that much time, it's usually with a good RPG. It seems as though I'd rather uppercut someone through the ceiling than master the arts of human competition. There's 7 dents in my wall that are telling me I should stop being competitive before I end up breaking a controller or TV.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
...And that's why I don't get super pro master at any game, because I enjoy playing a good variety of different games and would rather not bow down and worship one game just so I can be what other people consider "very good." In the eyes of any common person, I'd appear to play extremely well. That's good enough for me, because when a game stops being fun, that's when I stop playing.

I just don't spend 7+ hours a day on one game anywhere near as much as I used to when I was younger, and when I am spending that much time, it's usually with a good RPG. It seems as though I'd rather uppercut someone through the ceiling than master the arts of human competition. There's 7 dents in my wall that are telling me I should stop being competitive before I end up breaking a controller or TV.
Understandable. I mean it's not like I don't play any other games but smash bros is basically the root of my childhood cause I've played it since n64. Like I play Destiny, do some CoD Zombies Origins (the only good zombies map), and Halo but I can't even play with my friends cause they all got Xbox one (and I have 360) and none of them have Wii U or 3ds.

Still gotta beat awakening but I don't have the money to buy myself the game (which is the other reason I haven't played enough of it). Oh and I still have captain toad to beat so I do that occasionally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom