• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1.0.4 Opens the Floodgates, What Changes Would You Like to See in Palutena

Pirunner

Smash Rookie
Personally, The first thing I want to see is a buff to smash attack speed and less end lag. I would also like if the tilts where not so laggy too.

The other, more complicated suggestions, is to make more use of Palutena's shield. I would like it if she threw out her shield behind her as an additional hitbox during tilts to protect you from enemies trying to back roll and punish your long lasting tilts. The mechanic would be the opposite of Link's shield; protect from normal attacks while attacking. Combine that with lower ending lag, and your tilts are somewhat safer all the way through.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Leave my glitches alone.

Give me better tilts, specifically F or DTilt.

More horizontal reach on DAir.

Auto Reticle with infinite range is wishful thinking, right?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like, at the very very least, she just needs at least one grounded A move that doesn't have a giant amount of endlag.

I also feel like Autoreticle needs to be more reliable, and Counter could use a buff in knockback and stuff.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I feel like, at the very very least, she just needs at least one grounded A move that doesn't have a giant amount of endlag.
Dtilt. Jab.

Anyways. In an attempt to not be biased here. What she needs the most is for her to be made less glitchy, I know it makes her fun to play and all but in terms of design it is bad. After that The only things that come to mind is to give her a better Ftilt and Utilt. Everything else is fine.

Moonlighter

Smash Cadet
I'd like you to be able to shift Explosive Flame left or right in the brief start-up where you see the spark. IMO, it'd improve the utility of the move a bit, and let you punish roll attempts on a good read.

Also, make forward air a little meatier.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
-Speed up down smash
-If F tilt isn't speed up please make it multi hit like utilt

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
100% extra damage given on every hit. grab = instakill. Neutral B summons the glam blaster. Final Smash is psuedo Palutena. Dialogue with Pit during matches. Every omega stage has a platform. Lightweight is default down-b.

Jab combo uses Viridi/Tiger Claws.

More colors. One with red hair. Black dress. Red and black shield and staff.

Kid Icarus and Of Myths and Monsters outfits.

All pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Last edited:

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
It'll never happen, but the one thing I'd like to see is her default moves change. Switching in Superspeed, Lightweight or Jump Glide would satisfy me (personal preference in that order).

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I don't see the warp cancel being patched. They've probably known about it from Brawl yet Zelda still has it.
I'd like Utilt to have less lag and iasa to make it a more viable switch up for Usmash
Dair with a bit more range

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the warp cancel being patched. They've probably known about it from Brawl yet Zelda still has it.
I'd like Utilt to have less lag and iasa to make it a more viable switch up for Usmash
Dair with a bit more range
You have no idea how badly I want Dair to have like... 10~20% more horizontal reach.

Meian

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone can disagree about her tilts being the main thing and it would seem Sakurai would want to do things subtly at first. I don't mind the tilts they just need to not lag forever with a "KILL ME NOW" sign on her. Then can see where she stands after that for next time if needed.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I was thinking that maybe Sakurai could change Palutena's default specials every now and then so we could try a lot more of her arsenal in For Glory. Too bad that would be more chaotic and unpleasant to the people going against her than fun for people like me.

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
Am I the only one liking her default moveset?
Her default is fine, but her customs are so much more interesting. Super speed and lightweight (super speed especially imo), completely change the type of character she is. She changes from a primarily reactionary character to one that can take initiative.

Counter and reflect wall are fine. Having both in the same moveset is sort of overkill imo. I really wish super speed was in her default over reflect.

Last edited:

Pirunner

Smash Rookie
Her default is fine, but her customs are so much more interesting. Super speed and lightweight (super speed especially imo), completely change the type of character she is. She changes from a primarily reactionary character to one that can take initiative.

Counter and reflect wall are fine. Having both in the same moveset is sort of overkill imo. I really wish super speed was in her default over reflect.
If we could replace Counter with Super-speed, meaning we got to keep reflect, I would be satisfied.

Rainiris

Smash Cadet
I actually chose Palutena above others beause she has both hard coutners, the reflect and the counter. I used to play mario for the cape on melee. I'm just missing some realistic speed reactions when playing her. She has an absurd ending lag on about all of her moves. Rolling included.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Am I the only one liking her default moveset?
Im ok with Auto Reticle and Reflect. Warp, while not so original, works pretty good. Counter is kinda boring if you consider that 1/5 of the cast has a counter too.

As for regular balance, maybe fixing Palutenas down and side smash attacks would do for me. The wing hitboxes can be quite obnoxious.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Her defaults are fine but it just sucks that in a lot of match ups, it feels like I don't have any special moves. Reflect is match up dependant, Autoreticle may be our only projectile but it's also laggy and very easy to punish (not practical against a lot of faster opponents), Warp is a great tool but the general consensus is that all her Up B options are good, and the Counter is just... a Counter... so many other characters have it.

It makes her feel rather limited as a character, and add that to her ridiculously laggy tilts and... yeah... her customs (even one of them such as Superspeed or Lightweight) alone make her an incredibly unique character with a whole lot more options than her default offers. And yes, am salty about what appears to be a trend of people dropping customs from tournies already... = =

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm as dedicated a Palutena main as anybody in here, but I feel that she is really limited in her kill potential. Even with the ability to use Super Speed, Lightweight, and Jump Glide, I feel that she is still lacking in reliable kill options around the 120% range, despite having the mobility of a mosquito. All of her Smash attacks are still really laggy, and in my experience, unsafe and hard to punish with in most situations (unless the opponent whiffs with a really laggy attack, which you will never find on say, Sheik or Greninja). Sometimes you can trick your opponent into airdodging close to the ground to punish with Usmash, but I think most decent players are savvy enough to know not to do that. Once your opponent knows how to airdodge and vector out of her Dthrow, her Uair also becomes unreliable for killing. At the very least, I want something like a buff to her Uthrow to kill at a somewhat decent percentage, like Mewtwo's Uthrow. That may be all that she needs.

I really hope that tourneys can make an exception for Palutena in terms of customs. If tourneys decide to drop customs entirely, I think that our goddess may be forever doomed to low mid/low tier (in my opinion; I am nowhere near qualified to make such judgements) unless people can magically find some amazing undiscovered tech with her defaults. Not to mention, her playstyle becomes a lot more exciting to watch and play with that increased mobility. She becomes much more offensive based instead of defensive, echoing speeds of rushdown masters like Sheik, Greninja, and Captain Falcon.

I also haven't played many human players with her customs due to them not being allowed on For Glory, so if people have had a different experience, that could be the reason why. I'm really annoyed that FG doesn't allow custom moves. I so want to punish all of those Little Macs with the amazing approaches that Palutena gets from SS and JG.

Last edited:

Kendude

Smash Cadet
-Counter replaced by either of the other two down specials as the default option. As much as I like Super Speed, Reflect Barrier is more than acceptable I feel, unlike Counter which I hate.
-Cut a bit of ending lag from the tilts. Self-explanatory.
-Have people not fall out of utilt. I already play Zelda who has this issue with her fsmash and usmash, so not having to deal with it with Palutena would be fantastic.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Commit to the whole "goddess attacking from above" theme and make her the Anti-Mac. Leave her ground game bad. Her attacks could stay pretty strong, but keep them slow with massive endlag. Buff her air game so it's one of the best in the game.

Maybe do something with that damn auto reticle. Make it so you could hold it or the projectiles can home or you can flick the reticle up or down a split second before it fires or something.

Pirunner

Smash Rookie
Commit to the whole "goddess attacking from above" theme and make her the Anti-Mac. Leave her ground game bad. Her attacks could stay pretty strong, but keep them slow with massive endlag. Buff her air game so it's one of the best in the game.

Maybe do something with that damn auto reticle. Make it so you could hold it or the projectiles can home or you can flick the reticle up or down a split second before it fires or something.

I like the reticle Idea: that would allow me to aim it and force reactions from my opponent into bad situations. Honestly though I think auto reticle is strong enough.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
I like the reticle Idea: that would allow me to aim it and force reactions from my opponent into bad situations. Honestly though I think auto reticle is strong enough.
I dunno. it's pretty underwhelming in all aspects. 394

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
Give her DSmash more active frames, or a larger hitbox. The strength is fine, but it fails to punish rolls far too often; if it's going to another "laggy punish", at least make it easier to land. A stronger windbox would be nice too.

Speed on her Ftilt would help, but I almost feel like the slow, large, extended hitboxes are part of her identity. As much as I would want it competitively.

IzunaDroppuh

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfamouzShadow
3DS FC
2852-8054-4919
Faster cooldown on all smashes, switch out counter with a custom move, zelda style warp where the enemy gets damaged

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
You can basically scratch all those ideas for Auto Reticle. It works exactly the same on the Wii U version so unless there's another patch I'm unaware of, it's still the same.

The character largely seems exactly the same. I couldn't find any real differences.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm just happy that infinite Lightweight is a thing. With so many of the stages we've seen, it seems like you can make use of it frequently.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I'm now 99% sure the entire character is the same. The "phantom hit" on Super Speed is the only thing I can find different. And the group I'm talking to is saying they can sometimes get it in 1.03.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Palutena's dair has noticeably faster speed, and I believe a new graphical effect and sound.
Saw this in the Community Patch Notes Thread, can anyone shed some light on this? I am currently at work or I'd be all over this myself!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Saw this in the Community Patch Notes Thread, can anyone shed some light on this? I am currently at work or I'd be all over this myself!
I might be crazy. I'm not in the best of minds right now.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Sound I can't comment on cause I play with mine off and I took an early break to test what I did find.

I
I might be crazy. I'm not in the best of minds right now.
It's ok. You gotta test everything a million times and even then you're still not sure. Placebo happens. As I said in the other thread, if people don't report their findings & have others come forth to double check them, we won't learn anything.

About DAir though: I haven't found any changes to her dair though. No animation, no sound, no recovery, not a larger hit box, not more damage, nothing.

Top Bottom