• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

『SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI』Protagonists Support Thread. (Awaiting Reincarnation...)

Hmm, give me a LIFE STONE and I might consider joining you...

• Give LIFE STONE x1

• Refuse

• Trick

• Say you don't have

Results are only viewable after voting.

amageish

Smash Master
So, any demons you all want specifically that haven't been revealed?
Jack the Ripper. I get him no longer being part of the main Jack group because, you know, it's a dark demon choice, but I love the design and like the occasional historical demon being thrown into the mix.

I'd also like for there to be at least one super-modern demon (ex/ Chemtrails) or just a straight-up pop culture demon (ex/ Audrey), but I'd also be happy if there was someone new joining the crowd for that one. I think there's fun to be had in seeing modern folklore figures going toe-to-toe with some of the most ancient ones.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Something I've been wandering about is if they'll include Vohu Manah, Byakhee and Hastur who were modelled for Persona 5 Royal. On one hand it might be odd including Persona original designs, but they're not character-exclusive and they're still Kaneko designs. One solution might be to add a few new demons from the same origin so they're less out of place.

Vohu Manah is from Zoroastrianism, so he's already got Sraosha as company. Then they could add Armaiti and have Doi create a fourth design to join them.
Byakhee and Hastur might already have that new tentacle portal demon as company from Doi. So like amageish was saying, this would be a great time to bring back someone like Cthulhu or Old One.

edit: as for designs I'd like to see, some of the Strange Journey originals like Asherah or Maya would be nice. ...for no reason in particular.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Something I've been wandering about is if they'll include Vohu Manah, Byakhee and Hastur who were modelled for Persona 5 Royal. On one hand it might be odd including Persona original designs, but they're not character-exclusive and they're still Kaneko designs. One solution might be to add a few new demons from the same origin so they're less out of place.

Vohu Manah is from Zoroastrianism, so he's already got Sraosha as company. Then they could add Armaiti and have Doi create a fourth design to join them.
Byakhee and Hastur might already have that new tentacle portal demon as company from Doi. So like amageish was saying, this would be a great time to bring back someone like Cthulhu or Old One.

edit: as for designs I'd like to see, some of the Strange Journey originals like Asherah or Maya would be nice. ...for no reason in particular.
I too love big women.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Jack the Ripper. I get him no longer being part of the main Jack group because, you know, it's a dark demon choice, but I love the design and like the occasional historical demon being thrown into the mix.

I'd also like for there to be at least one super-modern demon (ex/ Chemtrails) or just a straight-up pop culture demon (ex/ Audrey), but I'd also be happy if there was someone new joining the crowd for that one. I think there's fun to be had in seeing modern folklore figures going toe-to-toe with some of the most ancient ones.
Jack the ripper was considered for synchronicity prologue, and was used in the art for the most recent concert, so he definitely has a chance.

As for who I'd like to be in the game, the lovecraftian demons are some of my favourites (partially because of P2 bias) and I actually want the SMT IV archangel designs to return, because I really like them.

I'd also like for the SMT IVA design for Satan to return, because it's pretty cool.

There are a few demons I'd like to be brought back with a new design. Apollo could get a design that's partway between his normal and Persona design (or just reuse his persona design, I really like it), and some of the demons who've had the same design for ages could get a redesign.

(Also, I kind of want an alternate version of pixie in her devil summoner or soul hackers design, since they're never used now)

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
If they do Serph to advertise DDS remasters I'll be ridiculously happy. One of the devil survivor protagonists could work too. (It's just occurred to me that that might mean we'd get a Serph amiibo if this game works with them, and that would be pretty cool)

For third party characters Bayonetta is an obvious choice, but if Nintendo is funding it, and it's a permanent exclusive, Samus would honestly be kind of cool, and would work as promotion for both series, especially if they use her Dread design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ve only played TMS but E3 sold me on SMT V. Kind of hoping for Nahobino because as far as potential promotional picks go, they seem like the best case scenario by a long shot.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I’ve only played TMS but E3 sold me on SMT V. Kind of hoping for Nahobino because as far as potential promotional picks go, they seem like the best case scenario by a long shot.
TBF he's the only "promotional" pick (The logic is more that if you finish with a new character then the roster feels fresh for longer) I can think of besides maybe EMMI.
You could make a case for Pokemon or Ring Fit but I think they're a bit old at this point.

amageish

Smash Master
For third party characters Bayonetta is an obvious choice, but if Nintendo is funding it, and it's a permanent exclusive, Samus would honestly be kind of cool, and would work as promotion for both series, especially if they use her Dread design.
I think I've said this before, but if we get full-on crossover demons, I'd LOVE to see them be redesigned to look like a MegaTen demon of that character would had that character been a mythic/legendary figure of a real-world culture. I'd especially love it if we got Nintendo myth figures - goddesses like Palutena, Hylia, or Sothis would be super fun to see given a MegaTen makeover.

Very nice trailer to see an English version of...

That premmium edition looks fantastic. I'm also kind of relieved they aren't doing a Digital Deluxe Version? I haven't loved ATLUS' practices when they do those lately, so it's nice to just... not have to think about DLC until the game is out.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The collector's editions are all sold out in America, and they aren't even available in Europe yet. Sounds like ATLUS.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anyone manage to score any goodies?

All I managed to do was put the digital edition on a wish-list.
:smileye:

amageish

Smash Master
Anyone manage to score any goodies?

All I managed to do was put the digital edition on a wish-list.
:smileye:
I managed to get a PS5 today, so I am declaring that enough of a victory!

But, yeesh, this is shaping up to be one of the most chaotic special edition launches I have seen in a long time...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
nintendo australia: look out for the special edition!
eb games australia: we have literally no news on when we'll get the special edition

incredible

edit: HEE WE HO

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
I was a big fan of this design so I'm glad it's back.

Anyway, if anyone wants to try their luck at a raffle, here you go.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm in Europe, and almost had a heart attack when I saw that ATLUS had tweeted about it while I was exercising, thinking it might have been the EU release. I hate having to wait ages for this stuff, but I can at least hopefully avoid the scalpers.

Also, apparently Nintendo is publishing SMT V in Europe. Like they did with DQXI, and hero's in smash. (It's a stretch, but I want to dream).

amageish

Smash Master
I'm in Europe, and almost had a heart attack when I saw that ATLUS had tweeted about it while I was exercising, thinking it might have been the EU release. I hate having to wait ages for this stuff, but I can at least hopefully avoid the scalpers.

Also, apparently Nintendo is publishing SMT V in Europe. Like they did with DQXI, and hero's in smash. (It's a stretch, but I want to dream).
Yeah, it's still MIA in Canada for the most part, unless they are going full original-Xenoblade-Chronicles and making it an EBGames exclusive.

And huh, that's interesting! Nintendo takes on publishing duties for other groups all the time, but it could be a good sign if you are hoping for a crossover demon of some sort. They do seem to like throwing in easter eggs if they're publishing stuff...

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's going to be back in stock at Gamestop in 14 minutes.

Here's the link: https://www.gamestop.com/video-game...emium-edition---nintendo-switch/11149944.html

EDIT: Uh I think I got the wrong impression, unless it ran out of stock again already. Not actually sure what a "Web-In-Store" order means.
It means if you physically go to Gamestop, you can ask a manager in the back to request it directly. Apparently it's worked for a few people.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
If they sell the demon handbook separately I won't even bother. I can hear the soundtrack online, but the book looks really cool.

I was going to buy it on the Nintendo store since that's where the ATLUS site redirects to for pre orders, but it's apparently really bad, and loses packages and stuff, so I'll probably use Amazon or game if they have it.

On a separate note, would any of you recommend Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I've been thinking about buying it for a while, and the gameplay looks good, but it seems a bit too stereotypically "power of friendship anime" for me (the music's pretty good as well from the songs I've heard). I want to have some SMT to play between nocturne hd and V, and V seems to take stuff from it, and it's on switch, so it makes sense to play it if it's good.

amageish

Smash Master
If they sell the demon handbook separately I won't even bother. I can hear the soundtrack online, but the book looks really cool.

I was going to buy it on the Nintendo store since that's where the ATLUS site redirects to for pre orders, but it's apparently really bad, and loses packages and stuff, so I'll probably use Amazon or game if they have it.

On a separate note, would any of you recommend Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I've been thinking about buying it for a while, and the gameplay looks good, but it seems a bit too stereotypically "power of friendship anime" for me (the music's pretty good as well from the songs I've heard). I want to have some SMT to play between nocturne hd and V, and V seems to take stuff from it, and it's on switch, so it makes sense to play it if it's good.
The demon handbook is also the main thing I find interesting about the collector's edition. I doubt they'll sell it separately, but maybe they'll release a similar artbook eventually...

As for TMS: TMS is a very mechanically strong comedy JRPG. The sessions system is super fun and satisfying and keeps combat engaging through the entire adventure, even as dungeon design quality starts to dip towards the end (mechanical spoiler: I hope you enjoy ATLUS games that have towers to climb and boss rushes, as this one does both). It's generally very pretty and the music is very good. The Easter Eggs and references to ATLUS properties and Fire Emblem are very nice too; I actually really admire how the game generally picks the most suited characters/demons/concepts to reference for the story it is trying to tell, as opposed to just picking the most famous characters (I mean, there is one Tellius character who cameos and it is Ilyana, not Ike or Soren or Black Knight or... any of the really famous ones).

That said, it is what it looks like. It is a comedy JRPG and is very silly. It would not be hyperbole to say that Persona 4 Dancing All Night has a more philosophically engaged story then Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE does. There are heartfelt moments, but, like, it's a slice of life story and, while it does contain some commentary on the nature of the Japanese entertainment industry, it is not exactly an in-depth look at it.

Additionally, while TMS was conceptualized and initially billed as SMT meeting FE, it has expanded to general ATLUS stuff... which really just means it is SMT and Persona and Etrian Odyssey meeting FE, but, like, don't expect it to be all SMT costumes and easter eggs.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The demon handbook is also the main thing I find interesting about the collector's edition. I doubt they'll sell it separately, but maybe they'll release a similar artbook eventually...

As for TMS: TMS is a very mechanically strong comedy JRPG. The sessions system is super fun and satisfying and keeps combat engaging through the entire adventure, even as dungeon design quality starts to dip towards the end (mechanical spoiler: I hope you enjoy ATLUS games that have towers to climb and boss rushes, as this one does both). It's generally very pretty and the music is very good. The Easter Eggs and references to ATLUS properties and Fire Emblem are very nice too; I actually really admire how the game generally picks the most suited characters/demons/concepts to reference for the story it is trying to tell, as opposed to just picking the most famous characters (I mean, there is one Tellius character who cameos and it is Ilyana, not Ike or Soren or Black Knight or... any of the really famous ones).

That said, it is what it looks like. It is a comedy JRPG and is very silly. It would not be hyperbole to say that Persona 4 Dancing All Night has a more philosophically engaged story then Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE does. There are heartfelt moments, but, like, it's a slice of life story and, while it does contain some commentary on the nature of the Japanese entertainment industry, it is not exactly an in-depth look at it.

Additionally, while TMS was conceptualized and initially billed as SMT meeting FE, it has expanded to general ATLUS stuff... which really just means it is SMT and Persona and Etrian Odyssey meeting FE, but, like, don't expect it to be all SMT costumes and easter eggs.
If it's mechanically good then I'll probably get it, since that's the main reason I was wanting it. I can deal with a story that isn't very deep or interesting if the characters are likeable, so that should be fine. I just listened to more of the soundtrack, and the dungeon themes are really good as well as the battle themes, so that's good.

I have 2 questions though, do you need to know anything about FE to play it, because the only game I've played any of is Heroes (I have 3 houses and shadow dragon, but haven't played them yet). And is the map like SMT, or modern persona? (It's a small thing, but I like SMT IV's exploration more than p5's smaller areas). Thanks.

amageish

Smash Master
If it's mechanically good then I'll probably get it, since that's the main reason I was wanting it. I can deal with a story that isn't very deep or interesting if the characters are likeable, so that should be fine. I just listened to more of the soundtrack, and the dungeon themes are really good as well as the battle themes, so that's good.

I have 2 questions though, do you need to know anything about FE to play it, because the only game I've played any of is Heroes (I have 3 houses and shadow dragon, but haven't played them yet). And is the map like SMT, or modern persona? (It's a small thing, but I like SMT IV's exploration more than p5's smaller areas). Thanks.
The battle system is generally agreed to be the best thing about it and I agree. It's very satisfying stringing together longer and longer sessions as the game goes on.

I'd compare it to knowing about the various mythologies for SMT: You don't need it by any means, but it will make you go "Oh, I know that thing!" as reveals happen. The only especially relevant game is Shadow Dragon (Awakening characters appear, but they don't draw from Awakening for the narrative).

The map is somewhat more Persona-y, though it was released before Persona 5, so I don't think there was any direct influence there. The dungeons are all puzzle-centric and have overworld encounters in them.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The map is somewhat more Persona-y, though it was released before Persona 5, so I don't think there was any direct influence there. The dungeons are all puzzle-centric and have overworld encounters in them.
There's been misinformation spread by... a few of my colleagues that it was made by Persona 5 developers, but really it was made by minor ATLUS staff from pretty much any dev team other than that, with like three or so people who went on to work on Persona 5 (or were working on it, depending on when in the process they got involved). You name it, a developer has probably worked on it. Shin Megami Tensei (mostly IV and Strange Journey people), Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, Devil Survivor. Mostly smaller staff who hadn't done much big in the past. Honestly they're probably working on Shin Megami Tensei V right now given the UI and mechanics that are taken directly from it.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
There's been misinformation spread by... a few of my colleagues that it was made by Persona 5 developers, but really it was made by minor ATLUS staff from pretty much any dev team other than that, with like three or so people who went on to work on Persona 5 (or were working on it, depending on when in the process they got involved). You name it, a developer has probably worked on it. Shin Megami Tensei (mostly IV and Strange Journey people), Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, Devil Survivor. Mostly smaller staff who hadn't done much big in the past. Honestly they're probably working on Shin Megami Tensei V right now given the UI and mechanics that are taken directly from it.
Oh, yeah, the misinformation about this game's development history online is insane, as I suppose is commonly the case with most "controversial" games. You can kind of tell that it was made by the staff a lot of nicher ATLUS staff given the types of crossover costumes they picked: the Protagonist from Devil Survivor 2, Rei from Persona Q, Walter from Shin Megami Tensei IV, and the Sovereign class from Etrian Odyssey in the original game. It kind of feels like they drew from their past experiences directly with that selection.

It definitely seems like the TMS team at least influenced the SMTV team given all of the UI elements being shared between the games. I know Takada (TMS Producer, also the director of Devil Survivor) has indicated he has something new to announce this year though, so it's possible the TMS team split up, some working on SMTV and some on whatever Takada's doing?

Top Bottom