• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"YOU GOT NO STYLE!" The Anthony Higgs 4 Smash Thread! Remember him?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread being revived makes me happy.

Smashboards really does know how to threat a lady!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Hopefully Anthony will be the stage hazard on the Metroid Stage instead of Ridley.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hopefully Anthony will be the stage hazard on the Metroid Stage instead of Ridley.

But Anthony isn't an enemy from Samus' past.

It's kinda funny how the tables have turned this way actually.

I thought this was a troll thread until I saw Diddy made it, then I knew it was subliminal Anti-Ridley propaganda. =3

Why hello there user I haven't ever seen around before, great you hopped into my thread to make assumptions about me! :D

I'd like to inform you that I am infact a true supporter of the MANliest Metroid character ever.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'd like to inform you that I am infact a true supporter of the MANliest Metroid character ever.
... Mother Brain? Srsly though, I've seen your posts on the Ridley thread and the K. Rool thread. I haven't been on the forums for too long, but I've been around long enough to know what you're up to you sneaky sneaky monkey. I actually like your posts but this thread is a definite troll thread.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nope, it's definite genuine. And yes, I made some anti-Ridley posts, sure. But that doesn't mean this thread isn't an actual support thread, cause it is. Anthony Higgs is a loveable character, and actually one of the few things in Other M everyone agrees on was awesome. Anthony MADE Other M. He could've basically been the main character. And I think the game would've been received WAY BETTER if he was.

Mother Brain isn't manly, cause she's a mother. Mother is kind of the opposite of being a man, given a mother is a woman who has already barren a child and things like that.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Mother Brain leads the space pirates. Pirates, leading, and space are all pretty manly. I don't recall Anthony ever doing anything quite as mantastic, I just remember him getting smacked off an edge. =/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, smacked of an edge. But before he blasted Ridley out of the sky with his heavy-ass plasma laser, called him out on having 'no style' (which is true) or the fact he doesn't know how to treat a lady (also true). He then dodges Ridley's attacks with a badass backflip even Samus would be jealous of, but Ridley plays dirty on him and he falls. BUT THE BADASS MOFO WON'T DIE NO! He just creates an ice platform out of some lava beast and survives.

He got style.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I lol'd pretty hard at that picture. I really shouldn't bump this thread, the Ridley fanboy in me feels dirty.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I haven't played Other M yet, but from watching a few bits and pieces of people playing Other M, Anthony is pretty awesome. I think he needs to be in more games before he's included in smash though.

I support Anthony, but if he doesn't make it in the game, you won't see me complaining at all.

Anthony being added before Ridley would probably be a slap to the face of metroid fans though. Even if Anthony is awesome, Ridley is more important to the series. With that said, I'd rather have Anthony added, than have no Metroid newcomers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The last sentance is exactly the reason why I created this thread. Cause after all, wouldn't we all like a new Metroid character that is NOT named Samus? Ridley is of course one of the first characters one would think of when thinking of a 2nd most important Metroid character, yet... He's quite a controversial character, and MIGHT be overlooked this time again by Sakurai and team. So, isn't Anthony the next best thing after him? I'd say so. Especially with the Other M focus in the Metroid department thusfar. I'd LOVE to fight as Anthony on Pyrosphere. It's where he was 'supposedly' killed by Ridley in Other M. That's about as good as a home stage as it gets.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I can't believe these words are about to come out of my mouth.... Dark Samus.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't believe these words are about to come out of my mouth.... Dark Samus.

Best chance was in Brawl, didn't happen. Can't see it happening now either.

It's kinda like, expecting Skull Kid or Majora's Mask Link for Brawl.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Anthony hasn't died yet has he? Dark Samus was supposedly killed along with the elimination of all phazon in the galaxy right? I have a feeling we might see more Anthony in future metroid games than Dark Samus. Unless Dark Samus comes back through some plot device.

Of course, I'm not sure how much of the galactic federation we'll see in future metroid games. So Even Anthony is pretty unlikely there.

If they ever brought co-op multiplayer into the metroid franchise, I would imagine Anthony would be one of those co-ops, unless they brought back the hunters. I feel Anthony will stay as a cutscene character though. I don't see Metroid ever going Co-op in the main series (just like some other nintendo series). The idea of doing a co-op battle against Ridley sounds awesome though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anthony hasn't died yet has he? Dark Samus was supposedly killed along with the elimination of all phazon in the galaxy right? I have a feeling we might see more Anthony in future metroid games than Dark Samus. Unless Dark Samus comes back through some plot device.

Of course, I'm not sure how much of the galactic federation we'll see in future metroid games. So Even Anthony is pretty unlikely there.

If they ever brought co-op multiplayer into the metroid franchise, I would imagine Anthony would be one of those co-ops, unless they brought back the hunters. I feel Anthony will stay as a cutscene character though. I don't see Metroid ever going Co-op in the main series (just like some other nintendo series). The idea of doing a co-op battle against Ridley sounds awesome though.
Considering how poor Other M was received, how it did wrap up Samus' relation to the Federation, and how it seems to be Nintendo's intent to hand the series to Retro primarily, I don't expect to see Anthony again. His best chance at re-appearing in the series is in a sequel to Fusion, considering that Samus went against the orders of the Federation and is probably targeted as an enemy now, which wouldn't leave it out of question to have Anthony become hostile to Samus actually.

As for the co-op, no thanks, ruins the whole point of Metroid.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'd like to ask you what the point of metroid is to you then. To me it's about exploring and finding all items, and shooting up monsters (specificly bosses). Which can easily translate to co-op.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd like to ask you what the point of metroid is to you then. To me it's about exploring and finding all items, and shooting up monsters (specificly bosses). Which can easily translate to co-op.
It's about the mystery of being alone on a planet where every living thing is after you. It's also about exploration, finding items, shooting **** up, and also about speed running. However, the reason that Metroid Prime for example has such a great atmosphere is because you're alone. A lot of it has to do with being one (wo)man on a planet where everything is out to get you. That's why I couldn't immerse myself in Other M, when Samus finally wasn't having inner dialogues the Federation guys or Adam would usually chime in and completely threw me out of it. It's about going on an adventure yourself, it just creates the whole atmosphere to me. Sure enough it's not all that Metroid is about, but to me it's a core element in the series, and if it was co-op I wouldn't be able to take things in at my own pace. Phendrana Drifts for example wouldn't feel like a sort of sanctuary if you and your buddy just ran in there to blow **** up. That's not what Metroid is to me, if I just wanted to run in and blow Alien asses up I'd play Halo.

Morbi

Scavenger
This is my first time here, but why would anyone want any Metroid character aside from Ridley? I mean I suppose he would be an ideal replacement since Ridley is highly controversial. Even then... he feels too... Playstation Battle All Star Royale to me. I wouldn't mind though, I enjoyed his character thoroughly enough.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I have a hard time seeing the "alone" thing. Mainly because most games you are alone anyways.
Even then, It's hard to feel alone when you have your super powerful god mode suit by your side.

The only time I ever felt alone is in Metroid Prime 2. When I saw the Galactic Federation actually killing things (I never saw them in previous metroid games so I thought they were new to the metroid series). When I got to their camp and found they were all dead, I was all "well crap, this isn't going to be as awesome as I hoped" for a few seconds. The cutscene with them fighting the Ing just made me want there to be some around since they did a pretty good job considering how many there were. Since most NPCs in all games usually either do practicly nothing, or are immortal...... I'm still a bit sour that I didn't get to fight a huge horde of Ing like that in the game. Would give me an excuse to use the power bomb or something.

Also, A linear path for a co-op metroid probably would not work imo since one person would probably just do everything while others trail behind and/or the person doing everything has to wait on others.
I think it should be a mix of the older metroid games and Kirby's amazing mirror. To Explain, in Kirby's Amazing Mirror (Only game off the top of my head) you can split off into other areas to go explore for powerups, but you can regroup if there's an area that's too tough for you. A call button would be good, since it would make it so people wouldn't feel forced to be with each other, add a delay upon teleporting to each other and people can feel paniced when they've gone into the wrong place alone. In older Metroid games, not all powerups were required, but they would help you with your journey.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I know how Amazing Mirror worked, and it was great for a Kirby game. But again, the atmosphere is so important to me in a Metroid game, and almost all of that comes from being alone. Kirby is like a party multiplayer game whenever there is multiplayer, but Metroid is, to me, very dependant on that feeling of having no one to save your butt if you **** up, there's no cover, you're on your own. I love the feeling of going into Lower Brinstar with the Red Soil music playing in Super Metroid, makes it feel chilling. I love to occassionally goof off in Phendrana Drifts and Tallon Overworld, just because the atmospheres are so chilling. For me, having more players around while I take in the atmosphere would ruin the mood for me, and if they're just off in other places taking down bosses and stuff, I don't see what that adds to my experience other than taking away some of my boss kills and power-ups.

Anyways, it pretty much boils down to how differently we play the games, because there are many different ways to play Metroid despite it just being a sidescroller/first-person adventure. This doesn't really have much to do with Anthony either, so yeah.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
It might have something to do with the fact that I feel that no one will be there to save me if I mess up, even if other players are there.

I can see how co-op can ruin a game, but it can also enhance a game. It really depends on who you are with. I assume you've run into a lot of bad co-op experiences.

I'll go play through Metroid Prime again today I guess. Out of the 4 metroid games I've played, It's the second worst one. Others being Metroid, Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime 2.
Metroid Prime 1 I hated because it's atmosphere felt like a dumbed down version of Super Metroid's Atmosphere. I think it's time to go replay Metroid Prime 1 to give it another shot, because I don't want the only things about it that I like to be Ridley's battle (excluding his look at me flying parts) and Phendrena Drift's theme.

I'll agree with Phendrena Drift's theme being very good. I used to listen to it all the time when I did homework in school to relax.

Both of Tallon Overworld's themes are incredibly silly to me. First theme is some silly "morale boosting" music. Second one is more relaxing, but some parts it sorta sounds like it's trying to be partially a dance theme.

As for the Norfair theme. I like it overall, but who keeps banging a stick against the wall!?! God that sound gives me such a headache, literally. I had to take several breaks during that part of the game because it hurt my head so much. I forgot that was in the Super Metroid version too, but it wasn't as annoying there, I probably just tuned out that part of the theme since that's the only annoying part.

To bring it back to topic a little bit. Do you think they'll make a spin-off game (or a mini-story in main games) where you play as Anthony Higgs and some other galactic fed troops, where you must co-operate or die because you don't have the massive firepower or durability that Samus has? Not only would this show another side to the Metroid series, but it would also make people envy Samus more. I would imagine this would increase Anthony's chances of getting into smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Nintendo's had co-op in some of their series/exclusives, but it's usually just been local as opposed to online co-op, sadly. If that co-op idea were to happen for Metroid though, I wouldn't want to be stuck with an AI partner that you have to wait for and **** whenever I'm not playing with someone.

Fun as a co-op fight against Ridley could be (regardless of who Samus's partner is), I feel he'd might become too easy with the way you usually beat him in the games, unless you're also fighting him alongside another boss or something, like Ridley and *insert other boss here* in Metroid Blast.

To bring it back to topic a little bit. Do you think they'll make a spin-off game (or a mini-story in main games) where you play as Anthony Higgs and some other galactic fed troops, where you must co-operate or die because you don't have the massive firepower or durability that Samus has? Not only would this show another side to the Metroid series, but it would also make people envy Samus more. I would imagine this would increase Anthony's chances of getting into smash.
If a spinoff Metroid were to happen (not counting the pinball game), I'd still rather have a "Space Pirates vs Federation" kind of game where you choose one of the factions and work/rank your way up over the course of certain missions. On the evil side, you'd eventually get to be a Pirate Commando, temporarily control Ridley, or something when you rank high enough, while the good side would have some of the most trained Federation marines (like Anthony I suppose?) when you get to a certain level within the Federation's ranks.

p.s. Thought about bringing up Anthony not being an enemy from Samus's past earlier (just to be fair and all), but figured Diddy or someone else would in his defense. Don't like Anthony as much as other characters in the series, but some of you other Ridley fans really set yourselves up for that by going all "Hopefully Anthony will be a hazard". :laugh:

Oh yeah, Keeshu, would talk about what you said about the 1st Prime, but feel this isn't really the place. since Anthony wasn't cool enough yet to be in any of Retro's games.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Mandatory AI is something that needs to be treated with care. If they are too weak/useless, the player will feel like they are babysitting the AI. If they are too OP/unkillable, then the player doesn't feel like they are contributing that much. I trust the devs would know how to strike this balance well. However, it might be best if they didn't program co-op AI, and instead made it incredibly difficult to solo anything (like for "hardcore" gamers only difficult), but designed in ways to promote co-op gameplay. Or make it so the better co-operation you have with your team, the more damage you will deal or something like that.
If they felt they absolutely must have AI in the game, then at least let Anthony Higgs be the person you use and he commands the others to move/attack using a button.

As for co-op against Ridley, I just like the idea of making Ridley a bit more threatening and perhaps more cunning, by making immobilize players by grabbing them and such, and finding ways to seperate/distract the group.

I'd be all for Space Pirates vs Galactic Federation. Sounds good to me! Choose a faction? I'd pick Space Pirates in a heartbeat, but that'll never happen. Ranks would allow you to use better stuff yeah. However, I think instead of finding power ups laying on the ground, you'd find money, things to sell, or valueable items for research instead, and you'd save up money to purchase the weapons/armors/etc you'd need to fight. Just so you keep the exploration in, but have the main story give money too so you don't feel forced to explore.

As for the topic of the thread. Anthony Higgs in Smash. Shouldn't the Plasma Beam be his final Smash, or is he just going to shoot a bunch of weaker plasma beams with the side B, and then one Giant Plasma beam for a final smash?

@Ridley_Prime
Feel free to PM me or something if you want to talk about Metroid Prime 1 (These forums can do that right? I haven't really taken the time to explore all the features yet). I'm playing through it right now. I forgot how cheesy the music sounds in the first part. The music is trying too hard to be scary/horrifying. Forgot how much scanning was required in the Prime games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Uh-oh, Ridley fans in denial of Anthony's greatness?

Look. Why would it mather which company created the character Anthony Higgs? It's not like he's BOUND to appear exclusively in Metroid games made by Team Ninja. Not at all. Heck, the character in my username alone disproves this (though there where some 'legal' problems before). A better example however would be StarFox's Krystal, also made by Rare. She only had ONE appearance in a Rare-made game though, and a few years later appeared in StarFox Assault, and then Command. All made by other companies than Rare.

So, if Retro likes Anthony, and see it fit to fit him in the story, he'll be there. Retro especially does these kinda things. Hell, they even revived DIXIE KONG from her long slumber since 1996! Ridley fans, sorry you feel offended by Anthony's sence of style, and sorry for the fact you don't know how to treat a lady, but this was one of the worst excuses I've ever heard.

Also, Lanky Kong references are always welcome! :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, but Adam Malkovich was in Metroid Fusion. Hence it's not farfetched at all that Anthony Higgs (as sole survivor of Adam's team) will re-appear in any Metroid game that is connected to Fusion in any way.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
To be honest, I prefer Anthony over Adam. Leave all the super serious stuff to Samus to make her look more awesome. We can't have both Adam and Samus both being super serious all the time. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anthony indeed adds the much needed humour to Metroid. I really don't see why people hate him. I alone really appriciate him cause he's, for once, not a stereotype black male. And that in a Nintendo game. What's wrong with being a little progressive people?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
People hate him because:
#1 He's not Ridley!
#2 He's from Other M, and some people don't want to be reminded of that game
#3 Metroid is for super serious people only. Anthony would start the decline of Metroid making it seem more goofy because of his jokes, and possibly turning the Metroid series more into a generic space shooter.
#4 It's Samus's game, and her game alone! She's not allowed to have any friends! Metroid is all about feeling alone!
#5 We don't want an Adam v2.0 where Samus feels she needs Anthony's permission/firepower/whatever to keep going.

That's generally what I hear when it comes to Anthony being added to Smash.
#1. Yeah Ridley deserves it more and is way more popular. Some people won't give any other characters a chance until one character they love more gets in
#2. You'll be reminded of the game anyways since there's Other M Samus there (Especially if Other M Ridley gets in instead of the normal Ridley)
#3. A few scenes with Anthony wouldn't hurt. It also would show that Samus is not just some mindless death machine, which can make monsters more intimidating for some people. Also it may give a goal other than seek+destroy missions that Samus seems to always go on.
#4. I could never see this part. How can you feel alone and helpless when you have a super powered suit with you at all times? You don't need anyone else to watch your back.
#5. They'd have to handle the story pretty bad to do that.

Personally I think it would be good to have Anthony being around, at least for the start of some of the games. Even if it's just cutscenes, or part of some disguised tutorial. So you feel like you have a friend, and it's Samus's best friend, then when something happens to split Anthony + Samus up, you can feel lonely for the rest of the game because Anthony is not there, and everything will seem even more serious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You nailed it my man. I'm proud to have you listed as a real bro / gentleman! :cool:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously yes, I think Anthony is the best choice for a Metroid newcomer. Saying this out loud before was plain suicide but since Pyrosphere, we can all come out and voice our opinion against the oppressor that is Ridley!

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Ridley's still in the game, but Anthony is awesome, and he's better as a clone of Samus than going the Link-route and including three Samus...es? Samueseseseses? :p If Ridley doesn't make it, Anthony better, especially since they're going Other M-inspired for the Metroid stuff this game, because Metroid is a big enough franchise to warrant more than two characters, and definitely more than the same exact character twice but with different movesets and looks.

Top Bottom