• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"YOU GOT NO STYLE!" The Anthony Higgs 4 Smash Thread! Remember him?

D

Deleted member

Other M would be SO much better received if Anthony was the main character, and Samus just made some cameos. :p
Actually, I don't think that would have gone over well...
Remember what happened with Metal Gear Solid 2 and Raiden?

I think at this point, what happened with Anthony being a side character was best. Because NOW, they could probably make a spin-off of the series that has him as the main character to play off of his overall positive reception.
Or, they can incorporate him as a major character in a post-Fusion game, since he's still alive.
In fact, a post-Fusion game can do a lot for certain characters:

Anthony could serve as an unwilling enemy to Samus because of being a fugitive now (and this can be interpreted to him having no choice but to fight her, or to secretly help her out) or he can defect from the Federation to help Samus out.
Sylux could end up being a new ally due to being against the Federation as well, or he can still be an enemy if his views on Samus have not changed.
And since the Federation still has his DNA, they could clone Ridley again (intentionally this time) as a method to hunt down Samus, being her archenemy.

Just imagine if all that were to happen with a post-Fusion game. We could end up getting THREE Metroid Newcomers; Ridley, Sylux, and Anthony. :awesome:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even with the Federation wanting to hunt Samus like how fans usually think it'll go down in a post-Fusion sequel, I think Anthony's one of those people who would give Samus the benefit of the doubt as far as her reasons for destroying the B.S.L. station, especially if he saw Adam was still alive in computer form. Or if he does unwillingly try to hunt down Samus for the Fed, he'll change his mind about it later and in the end help her. And I don't see Sylux being an ally since it was mentioned he hates Samus as much as he does the Federation or something along the lines of that IIRC, unless her serving the Federation at the time of MPH was the only reason he hated her, in which case, he'll no longer have a reason to.

As for them cloning Ridley intentionally this time, it'd be interesting if they took it a step further by upgrading his body with Federation tech, like how the original Rids became Meta-Ridley through Pirate technology. Could make for a pretty sweet design too, needless to say.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anthony was arguably the only good thing in Other M. He's such an underrated character due to the fans only remembering the negatives things in that game.

D

Deleted member

Even with the Federation wanting to hunt Samus like how fans usually think it'll go down in a post-Fusion sequel, I think Anthony's one of those people who would give Samus the benefit of the doubt as far as her reasons for destroying the B.S.L. station, especially if he saw Adam was still alive in computer form. Or if he does unwillingly try to hunt down Samus for the Fed, he'll change his mind about it later and in the end help her. And I don't see Sylux being an ally since it was mentioned he hates Samus as much as he does the Federation or something along the lines of that IIRC, unless her serving the Federation at the time of MPH was the only reason he hated her, in which case, he'll no longer have a reason to.

As for them cloning Ridley intentionally this time, it'd be interesting if they took it a step further by upgrading his body with Federation tech, like how the original Rids became Meta-Ridley through Pirate technology. Could make for a pretty sweet design too, needless to say.
All I know is, no matter what the Federation does involving Ridley, be it direct clone or cybernetically inhance a clone, it's going to come back and bite them in the ass. Quite possibly literally. Ridley's not a beast one can simply tame.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bump for awesomeness:

I dare try you NOT wanting Anthony after seeing this

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
If he were to be in Smash Bros would he have to have his face shield down covering his face. If so it should flip up during taunts and after the fight when someone wins.

D

Deleted member

^
Making the "Remember Me?" taunt all the much sweeter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would indeed be awesome. Am thinking now that we have Samus in her Other M outfit, Anthony is a lot more likely to happen.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
The fact that we're already stuck with Samus' awful Other M design is enough, keep ****ty side characters from Other M out of Smash Bros. In fact keep as much Other M out of Smash Bros as humanly possible. The less Smash reminds us of Other M the better that game is best left forgotten.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The fact that we're already stuck with Samus' awful Other M design is enough, keep ****ty side characters from Other M out of Smash Bros. In fact keep as much Other M out of Smash Bros as humanly possible. The less Smash reminds us of Other M the better that game is best left forgotten.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Other M was better than what we DKC fans had to endure till Retro took it's way with the series. Don't complain, Other M is leagues above Jungle Beat.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Other M was the first Metroid game that I played (not the only) and I really enjoyed it. Especially in hard mode. I went and played Metroid Fusion and the original Metroid for NES and I thought they were quite similar besides all of the vertical movement throughout the stages. I honestly can't see why people don't like the game. The story had some fun plot twists and Anthony added a little extra awesome to the game; when he was "killed" by Ridley, I was in denial throughout the rest of the game hoping he somehow survived and I was pleasantly surprised. The game was challenging(not after playing the game through five or six times though) and there was some fun boss battles. Are people complaining about it because it isn't Prime? IGN even gave it a near perfect rating although they HAVE been quite generous lately. ANYWAYS that was my rant.

P.S. Was James the Deleter?

Groose

Smash Champion
I saw "YOU GOT NO STYLE" posted by Diddy Kong. I immediately thought this was the Lanky Kong support thread.

I was... wrong.

Anthony is still a cool character, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Lanky would of coarse be awesome to have to. But I think Anthony would be equally as comical as Lanky. Maybe less so in playstyle, but his taunts would make up for it. Kinds like Captain Falcon.

About the Deleter, it's kind of an open ending in Other M. After certain events it just... Wasn't that important anymore.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am glad to see new supporters still popping up today.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh well, Samus will still make you remember Other M anyway. And damn, don't we all wanna spam the inevitable 'Remember Me?' taunt?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Metroid needs more love in Smash, i like to see Anthony playable but only after Ridley, theres a need of Metroid reps in Smash, only Samus playable (and ZSS) its a crime. Plus Anthony have potential and he got style.

And damn, don't we all wanna spam the inevitable 'Remember Me?' taunt?
Of Course!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Metroid does need the characters. And Anthony might just be enough to make it. Never before was there such a strong Metroid supporting character. I think he has a slight shot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I certainly was not aiming for that when I created this support thread. But anything goes really. At the least, I'd accept him as an AT. Just, a playable Anthony would be sooo damn great.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
If Ridley does, after all the arguing, end up being too big, Anthony absolutely has to be included. There's not enough supporting characters in Smash Bros. - only protagonists and antagonists (I think Falco and Meta Knight are the only supporting characters).​

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
There needs to be a signature icon for Anthony Higgs. I fully support him.

I may be in the minority, but I think there's a chance we will see a character like Anthony Higgs before Ridley due to feasibility to the developer. If Other M was more successfully critically and commercially, he would be in more of our discussions. But he has a real shot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh yeah I have thought about that to. Quite a lot of times actually, but stating such opinions would be pretty much social suicide on here :laugh: Ridley is regarded as God around here almost :rolleyes:

Could really see them opt for Anthony Higgs just to add another Metroid character. Much like how Zero Suit Samus was added in a similar fashion. Needles to say that Ridley meets most criteria of a newcomer more, but he could infact indeed be too dificult to programm. Just wondering if Anthony would be a good replacement for a Metroid newcomer if that where to happen.

Doubt he'd be received well at first. Much like Wii Fit Trainer has, but people would likely warm up to him after a while.

Also, I wanna put an end to the whole 'OMG METROID NEEDS A NEW CHARACTER THE MOST TAKE ------- RIDLEY! :love::awesome::sadeyes::skull::teeth:' mentality. Lot's of people are DOWNRIGHTLY IGNORING that Zero Suit Samus got in Brawl. Thus making Metroid have 2 playable characters... Yeah, they are both Samus. So? Zelda has 5 characters counting Sheik as well. Zero Suit Samus counts as an additonal Metroid character, even if she's Samus.

And if she didn't count, explain this:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah like it or not, Zero Suit Samus is actually another Metroid character even if she is the same person as Samus technically. Even Sakurai himself counts her as a separate character when counting Brawl's roster together. I guess you can see it this way. Although it is kinda funny how not many consider Link and Young Link as well as Mario and Dr. Mario as the same people despite that they also are. clones yes, but not the same character, their counted separately when counting Melee's number of playable characters. But oh well, what people consider the same character or different is subjective I suppose... :/

Also I'm starting to like Anthony and certainly wouldn't mind him in Smash Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most just like to use that as excuse to justify Ridley in. I'm still not confident he'll make it in however.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah I have thought about that to. Quite a lot of times actually, but stating such opinions would be pretty much social suicide on here :laugh: Ridley is regarded as God around here almost :rolleyes:

Could really see them opt for Anthony Higgs just to add another Metroid character. Much like how Zero Suit Samus was added in a similar fashion. Needles to say that Ridley meets most criteria of a newcomer more, but he could infact indeed be too dificult to programm. Just wondering if Anthony would be a good replacement for a Metroid newcomer if that where to happen.

Doubt he'd be received well at first. Much like Wii Fit Trainer has, but people would likely warm up to him after a while.

Also, I wanna put an end to the whole 'OMG METROID NEEDS A NEW CHARACTER THE MOST TAKE ------- RIDLEY! :love::awesome::sadeyes::skull::teeth:' mentality. Lot's of people are DOWNRIGHTLY IGNORING that Zero Suit Samus got in Brawl. Thus making Metroid have 2 playable characters... Yeah, they are both Samus. So? Zelda has 5 characters counting Sheik as well. Zero Suit Samus counts as an additonal Metroid character, even if she's Samus.

And if she didn't count, explain this:

If Ridley's not in the roster yet again by some chance it's unfortunate. We could all speculate what the reason for his omission was once more, but at the end of the day you can't really prove it was because he was too difficult to program, anymore than someone can prove that Mewtwo was intentionally "replaced" in Brawl... Unless we get word of mouth from Sakurai himself on the matter or something.

Admittedly though, I've always seen there being a slight chance that *insert other Metroid character here* could get in over Ridley due to feasibility to the devs myself, particularly when it came to Dark Samus back in the day, not that I think an other Metroid character should get in or be supported for that reason alone, as it encourages toobigotryfluence in a way. I mean while we're at it, might as well have Pichu return over Charizard, because he'd be more feasible to program right? Or is it just a special case with Ridley for programmers?

As for that "Metroid needs a new rep the most! Take Ridley!!" mentality you mentioned, way I see it is many who want him in more than most will always think that anyway, so you can't really stop it. Just as how most who want Dixie or K. Rool more than anyone else will tend to think that DK needs a new rep the most. People not seeing past their own biases, but that's another debate altogether.

As for Zero Suit Samus, I think it's more just people not being satisfied by her addition alone in the Metroid playable department, than it is them ignoring her inclusion. Whether Metroid is seen having two reps now because of her, or a rep and a half, that's not going to stop people from wanting another. If Zelda/Sheik and Link/Young/Toon Link were still the only Zelda reps, I assure that people would still be vouching for Ganondorf to be in just as many are for Ridley.

Most just like to use that as excuse to justify Ridley in. I'm still not confident he'll make it in however.
Like how some use Metroid already having two reps as an excuse to justify it not needing another?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Sakurai on Ridley from a 2008 issue of Nintendo Power:
Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
My friend gave me his copy of Other M for my birthday (alongside my first Gamecube controller) because he didn't like the story. I liked the game a lot. The scanning thing bothered me however, as that's the only reason I haven't beat it yet. Stupid n00b-esque me.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I want Ridley AND Anthony. Other M haters can **** off.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Awesome to see more support for Anthony. Now that we've seen the Other M stage, Anthony seems a lot more likely. Am feeling though for the Ridley supporters. Cause with the Miiverse comment about 'an old enemy from Samus's past' he seems to be at slim chances. Unless confirmed later on. There'll likely be some new screens soon showing the stage, and am confident Ridley will appear on it.

Sorry to say Ridley fans, but even Sakurai probably feels the need to de-confirm Ridley soon as to not give any high hopes.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley's to be deconfirmed again, I guess better to put the fans out of their misery now than for them to have waited as long as they did pre-Brawl only to learn that he was a forgettable boss. Doesn't mean I'd necessarily hold my breath for Anthony just yet though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am wondering if Anthony will get some more support if Ridley is deconfirmed again. Other M IS heavily featured in Smash now.

Wonder if they'll do a sequel to Other M. I could see the potential in that. The switch to first person would go way smoother with the Wii U tablet I think. Did the game sell good or not? Did the overall negative reviews have any impact? I wonder...

I could see potential in making Metroid as cinematic as in Other M. They just need to learn to translate Samus's old established character better. Preferably from what we've seen in Fusion. The Other M team definitely liked Fusion. So there's love for the classic playstyle at least.

People are too negative about Other M. It's half long not as bad. Metroid had a glorious revival with Prime, and all following Prime games became auccesful to. There was Zero Mission to, and Fusion. And even the triology pack for Wii. Metroid will not be forgotten soon. Nintendo is bound to make a new game.

And I personally wouldn't mind Other M 2 (with some definate improvements).

Top Bottom