• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"YOU GOT NO STYLE!" The Anthony Higgs 4 Smash Thread! Remember him?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Mysterious Black Dude from Other M, it's Anthony Higgs!

'Fancy meeting you here Princess!'
Anthony is a real lady's man, and he KNOWS IT!

For those who remember him, Anthony plays quite a nice supporting role in the latest Metroid game: Metroid Other M. As pointman of the small unit of Galactic Federation soldiers, Anthony supports Samus through much of her quest as the most important soldier besides Miss. Princess Aran herself with his arsenal of freeze guns, plasma beams, and best of all: famous one liners! :cool:

Anthony's humor even is too much for himself sometimes.

Not only is Metroid as a whole franchise lacking of supporting characters, and actual characters in general, it's also very underrepped in Smash as felt by many. Togheter with Donkey Kong, it's probably one of the most famous series out of the franchises from the original Smash to be left with such little content, character wise especially. And when Brawl -sort of- met the fan's needs with Zero Suit Samus, most of us wanted more.

Most people rather voice out their demand for Ridley however, and I think he'd make a great addition. However, looking at the grand scheme of things, if Ridley where to be left out again, would there be other Metroid characters that could 'slightly' feel the gap? Anthony has the answer!

Who's more badass in this picture? Hint: it's not the character who we all know and love. :smirk:

As many know, Samus has a lot of abilities in her games. Like, a **** ton. Finding various weapons found throughout her journey to power her up is a classic Metroid element, and is extremely iconic to the series. The number of beam weapons she gets is especially impressive, and could never fully be incorperated well into her moveset. With Anthony carrying around a Freeze Gun, and huge Plasma Laser however, this could help represent a bit of the abilities Metroid as a whole is known for!

That, and he seems like he's closest to an actual supporting / second in command character in Metroid. At least, one that has chance of being a re-occuring supportive character. We all 'sort of' knew Adam, but no doubt we've discovered that Samus might as well called her computer Anthony in Metroid Fusion? Why? He's clearly more awesome! That's why. Besides, he doesn't back of for a fight either, and stands his ground instead of hiding behind a computer screen, limitting Samus what she can do. :rolleyes:

Anthony knows how **** goes.
AIN'T AFFRAID OF NO MONSTERS OR NO HOES!

Alright, alright. Enough introduction, here's what I think he could do:

Special Moves:

Neutral B: Freeze Gun. http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Freeze_Gun

Basically like Zero Suit Samus' Paralyser shot. Same annimation, does somewhat more damage, around 14~16%. Would freeze characters at higher %s.

Side B: Plasma Blast. http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_Gun.

Anthony charges up his huge plasma gun, the longer he charges the stronger the beam. But as Anthony says: 'This thing takes forever to charge!' Take up 3 seconds to shoot it's weakest blast, which would do about 15% damage. This is a multihitting beam though, and acts also like the Wave Beam from Metroid: it goes through obstacles and enemies. At full strenght, this is a strong KO move, and deals about 26~32 % damage. Very similar to Zero Suit Samus' Side B -called Plasma Whip- but stronger. Deals more damage at the beginning of the blast.

Down B: Flip Jump

Basically the same idea as Zero Suit Samus' attack. Can be used to assist in recovery.

Up B: Ice Platform

Anthony shoots a blast of ice downwards to create a platform. This platform stays for 2 seconds however, and can only carry Anthony's weight. If another character stands on it with Anthony, it breaks. Only one platform can stay out at a time however. And when it's used on ground, it creates a layer on ice on the ground, which can trip opponents on impact and does 5% damage. And why can he create a platform out of nothing? Cause it's Smash, it doesn't need to make sence. :smirk:

This move can be taken advantage of, taking the blast of damage and let Anthony fall to his doom. But however: the blast of ice would immediately send you downwards if hit by it, so its not as easy to gimp Anthony as it looks like. Besides, it's very unmanly to try such tactics! :glare:

Taunts:

1): Anthony wags his finger towards his opponent saying 'You got no style!'

More to be added!

Overall playstyle:

Anthony is a rather defensive character. He likes to do damage with his specials, namely his Plasma Gun and Ice Gun attacks, but has good aerial attacks as well. A strong sex kick which is kinda similar to Samus' in Melee gives him good approach options, but he's got somewhat sluggish movement on the ground, below average at least. Doesn't jump all too high either, somewhat lower than Zero Suit Samus. And he uses his Plasma Gun on some attacks as Smashes as well, how Zero Suit Samus would use her whip.

His Down Smash is a icey blast with his Freeze Gun, which like Zero Suit Samus' D Smash has a freezing effect instead of paralysis. Anthony can approach better when the enemy is at higher %, cause he can freeze them to slow down their movement. His ice attaks are generally stronger than those of the Ice Climbers, so his moves have tendecy to freeze opponents longer.

His Up Tilt is like regular Samus', and is good for edgeguarding, however it comes out a little slower than Samus and C.Falcon's version of the move. Has some quick moves, and is generally a bit of a slower mix up character. He can do damage, but he's mostly situational. His F Tilt works like Zero Suit Samus', and does little damage but is quick. Can't rely on his quick hit for KOs, but when fully charged his Plasma Gun is more than devastating! Lacks a little in the range appartment, but has good projectiles to make up for it. Has fast falling speed, so can be combo'd much easier than others, but has good mix ups for himself as well.

Can also play nice mindgames with his ice based attacks, especially his Up B on the ground, which would limit other character's movement if they're not careful. One thing is for certain: this soldier from the Galactic Federation is not one to be messed with! He'll show those punks how it's done! Unpredictabliity is his main asset, and he would surprise those on the battlefield just as much as the Smash fans with his inclusion. He would teach them all a lessen of subtlety! :cool:

Except for the ugly face, this is how he could look in Smash.

-Pro and Cons of his Inclusion:

+Came from the latest Metroid game
+One of the few able Metroid supporting characters
+Represents weapons used in Metroid otherwise unused, especially ice attacks
+Another Metroid character that isn't Samus
+Luigified clone, thus an easier to implement choice than others
+Smash needs some racial diversity
+Awesome taunt potential rivalling Captain Falcon easily
+Universally agreed on that he's just about the most awesome thing in Other M.
+Manly enough to be called MANthony
+He's a bro and a gentleman :cool:

-Relatively unknown
-Metroid Other M wasn't so well received
-People generally dislike characters that look like clones / haterz
-Everyone wants Ridley
-Might only become an Assist Throphy
-Not sure if he'll ever re-appear in the series like many others
-RIDLEY

So yeah, basically all that's stopping Anthony is his personal enemy, and clearly not a gentleman: Ridley. But that doesn't mean Anthony shouldn't get any love! As there's always need for more Metroid love. Much like how people, me included want both King K.Rool and Dixie Kong, I feel Metroid could also get a 3rd (officially 4th) character in. Of coarse I don't expect Anthony to make it before Ridley, that'd clearly do more negative than good for his popularity, but he'd make a great additional Metroid rep. So be a gentleman, and a bro, and support MANthony's inclusion in Smash 4!

People who are a bro, and / or a gentleman:
-Diddy Kong
-Robotic Wind
-Fr3aky Fight3r
-BerryBomber
-Carolus Rex
-Frostwraith
-Swampasaur
-gannondorf4ever
-TheJohnMonster
-Afrodude
-shinpichu
-Inawordyes
-GoldenYuiitusin
-ErictheLone
-KingofPhantoms47
-SuperBrawler
-DukeOfShorts
-Sobreviviente
-Renji64
-you?

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I have wated Anthony AND Ridley. I am more of a Ridley supporter of how iconic he is.

If metroid would be lucky enough for a third rep then yes.

He may not be my number 1 metroid newcomer but you can call me a supporter!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have wated Anthony AND Ridley. I am more of a Ridley supporter of how iconic he is.

If metroid would be lucky enough for a third rep then yes.

He may not be my number 1 metroid newcomer but you can call me a supporter!
And the first one is in! I knew you would be a bro, and a gentleman judging by your character of choice in Brawl and avatar! You'll definitely get the honor to be on the list of gentlemen and brothers!

Yes, this is my first thread as an actual new character cause I didn't bother creating a Impa thread after 4 attempts. Crash Boards is no fun. :urg:

Am accepting any suggestions for movesets, and playstyle details by others.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid suddenly got the Kirby treatment and ended up getting two new reps. (Ridley and MAYBE Anthony)

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That would basically be the best thing ever I imagine.

Fr3aky Fight3r

Smash Rookie
YES.

Anthony would be a much better choice for a another Metroid Rep then just usually for Ridley.

But what do you think his Final Smash would be?

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
As much as I would like to have another hunter be another rep, Anthony has potential. I can say right now that if Ridley does not get in, I wont be surprised or mad. If Ridley does get in good for him, but if not Anthony or a hunter better be another rep.

Since it will be hard to choose just 1 hunter without the other ones getting the boot, Anthony has a place where he would not be fighting anyone for a slot in terms of role. And for this reason, I support him.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I never supported him, but this topic is so well done that it changed my mind a bit. Still, I think that a lot of Metroid characters should get in before him (Ridley, Mother Brain, the Hunters) but at least you created an interesting moveset. If they add Ridley and him, I would like it, but if they add only him...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Despite what many people think, I actually liked Other M. Sure, it wasn't the best game of all time and the storyline had its flaws, but the game had solid gameplay anyway.

Besides Ridley, Anthony is a newcomer I could consider likely. It would be a sort of rep for a Federation member. Anthony is shown to be a close friend of Samus and an important ally of Samus in some fights.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am surprised how well received Anthony is, I truely am. Cause most people disregard the idea as a whole, thinking I'm trolling or something.

As for a Final Smash, was thinking about an Ice Blast similar to the first boss fight, where Anthony and the rest of the Gallactic Army assist you. Maybe he'll call his comrades for help in this? Trouble is, not many of them survived Other M...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want Ridley with all my heart but if Anthony somehow made it in. I would main him by day one. Sign me up for those lessons on subtlety.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I keep thinking this thread is about Lanky Kong

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe cause of this image:

No but seriously though; serious Anthony is serious.

Swamp, gonna add you to the bro list bro!

Anthony goes seem to be getting quite some recognision. Here they made an action figure out of him for example:

And even some 'potential' Smash recolors. All red though, but still, the job has already been done:

There's some real bros and gentlemen out there supporting Anthony!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Y'know what? Add me to the list. For Metroid reps, Ridley comes first, but honestly, I think he'd add a ton of humor (and awesome) to the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Anthony wouldn't be a bad character if we was overshadowed by others in Other M. Also, Other M sucked. Actually, he may have been the only good think about that game. He defiantly was less of a sissy than the rest of the crew.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Anthony really isn't all that overshadowed. He's quite litterally in the front lines all the time. You could say that he overshadowed Adam more if anything. He got the second most ammount of screentime, after Samus of coarse. And he's definitely a big part of the plot. Wouldn't say Other M sucked either. It might've been disapointing in the end, but I felt it was a good game. With a nice, fresh approach to the series. Shamefully it didn't came out as well as it could, but I'd be in other Other M 2...

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I have to say Anthony would be cool
To me he seems like a strong character that isn't quite a powerhouse
I disagree with the up special, and the charge time seems excessive on his gun
Why not make it like Dedede and his hammer
His shot charges up and then at a certain point he can start glowing indicating it is fully charged with a charge time similar to maybe Pichus headbutt, super strong
I support Ridley, but based on speculation for a prime 4 or a fusion sequel, either dark Samus, sylux, or Anthony will make a return

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, Anthony really isn't all that overshadowed. He's quite litterally in the front lines all the time. You could say that he overshadowed Adam more if anything. He got the second most ammount of screentime, after Samus of coarse. And he's definitely a big part of the plot. Wouldn't say Other M sucked either. It might've been disapointing in the end, but I felt it was a good game. With a nice, fresh approach to the series. Shamefully it didn't came out as well as it could, but I'd be in other Other M 2...
Pretty much, as you mentioned, he gets overshadowed for Samus and Adam despite having a far better character than both of them (in that game at least, though Adam was never well done).

Other M is awful; that part is unarguable. Besides the poorly written story, it goes against the entire Metroid formula and reuses content rather than adding it. It also only has 3 areas (Fusion had twice as much).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Reuses content rather than adding it? Plenty other Metroid games do that too, albeit to a lesser extent.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No Chu I meant that since Anthony is in, Other M focussed far less on Adam like its 'expected'. So as said before, if anything, Anthony overshadowed Adam.

I also don't see how Metroid Other M went against the formula. If so, Prime did the same thing. Yet it was received much better.

D

Deleted member

HIT THE DECK!
We got another Other M argument coming up, so ABORT SHIP!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't see how people could hate it THAT much.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh snap, another argument about Other M... >_>

Sure, it isn't the best game ever, but it isn't THAT bad as some people say.

I think the game has good gameplay, even though it hadn't the usual Metroid feel. There are no bugs harming the gameplay, the controls are responsive and all that.

The story wasn't fantastic, it was mediocre, but it wasn't as bad as some say. Sure, it had flaws, there were some overly dramatic parts and the Adam - Samus relationship could have been portrayed differently that what it is. The worst part is when Adam shoots Samus because of the Metroid room... seriously, that whole segment was stupid. The whole deal about "the Deleter" could have been better developed, among other details. But, had it been better written, it would be a good story, in my opinion.

Oh... I did just contribute to the argument, didn't I? Let's get back on topic: Anthony is a badass. Ridley may have the better chances, but a third Metroid character besides Samus and Ridley wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

D

Deleted member

If Ridley doesn't make it, I'd rather have Dark Samus.
If neither can make it for whatever reason, THEN Anthony. Though I will still be upset about Ridley and Dark Samus.

D

Deleted member

Last time we got a black guy on the roster, he swore too much that everything he said had to be censored. :gw:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think that a living humanshaped LCD would qualify as a 'black guy'. Oh wait... :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it doesn't. And I kinda forgot about that 'Oops I shot ya' scene. Watching it now.

Adam is such a tool though. No wonder she named a machine after him. :troll:

Anthony is much better. He at least knows how to treat a lady.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really hope we see Anthony in the future. I'd be really happy if he became a regular Metroid character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here! And seeing as he's Samus' close friend of old, as since Adam's death a free agent (probably) he has all the chances to come back. Not everyone liked Other M, but those who played it, all seemed to like Anthony for his humour. He could be the 'Falco' of the series maybe? Popping up at the last moment to kick some ***. Or whatever needs to be done. Hence, if he ever returns, he might make a good addition in Smash to make his popularity stick out even more.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Anthony's characterization makes him a foil to Samus. While Samus is a more quiet and stoic character, Anthony has his sense of humor and more upbeat personality. Of course that both Samus and Anthony are awesome badass characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, the contrast is awesome. Which is why he fits into the series very well.

Actually, I'd most definitely buy Anthony's own game if he ever got one!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
No it doesn't. And I kinda forgot about that 'Oops I shot ya' scene. Watching it now.

Adam is such a tool though. No wonder she named a machine after him. :troll:

Anthony is much better. He at least knows how to treat a lady.
Well you know what they say. Once you go black, you got style!:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I got style then. :awesome:

Not related to Anthony btw. :rolleyes:

Just now realised Ridley got his *** kicked by Queen Metroid btw. Haven't finished Other M in a long time, but do have a playthrough running. Batteries on my Wii are empty though and am too lazy / forgetful to recharge.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
He hasn't been beaten that bad by someone other than samus since the statues in prime 1
Also i haven't seen a character with so many one liners since sarge from red vs blue

Top Bottom