• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why there will be no Super Smash Bros. 4....

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Well first of off, I think theres plenty to expand upon.

SSE is lacking in so many ways. Some cutscenes are gorgeusly cinematic, but the gameplay could be so much better. We have characters from so many different games, but Sakurai doesn't seem to take advantage of that and doesn't show off the environments very well. The levels should be made in the same vein as the character's world they come from, yet most of them are generic, boring, or just not done well. The actual stages are cool and all, but they're really nothing but backgrounds. They could expand upon SSE with some explorable, more nostalgic stages maybe. I wasn't very impressed by them at all actually.

Then of course, theres the fighting system. What makes you think they can't change it? There are actually plenty of occasions where a fighting series tries to return to its roots. Brawl has been the biggest change so far, but expanding on Melee's system is an option too. A new battle system would be great also, so I don't know how your getting the impression it can't be a new game.

Really it seems people are hyping up Brawl way too much. Trust me guys, the game's actual content isn't that huge. A lot of songs are from previous games, completely copied from their respective games. Trophies are mostly low-poly models that were subdivided and rendered with neat lighting effects, then crammed in like leftover animations in a Final Fantasy game. The game isn't mediocre, but there is a lot left to expand on. Not just adding new content, but upping the quality as well.

Brawl isn't as encompassing as people think. Its great, but theres only a little less room for improvement than there was for Melee.

stfunerds

Smash Apprentice
Well I agree its going to be difficult for them to make a brand new game and top brawl, it will be done. Many of the features now like online play they will perfect. Adventure mode they can make a new story and add onto. Brawl is a new game compared to melee because of the multiple replay value features added and its still possible they can add more. They'll give each character completely unique specials and attacks, so there will be no clones, there'll of course be new characters, more interactive levels, items. Characters can be given more special-b moves. It'll definitely be hard to innovate on what they've got with brawl, but Nintendo does not abandon any of its successful franchises. smash bros chaos/4/whatever its called will most likely be a new game just because that's how smash bros are made. I mean it could be a lot less different if someone other than Sakurai heads it and just decides to make an updated version, but it still I don't think it'll just be an update. It'll fill a lot different.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What happened to the rumour floating around that Brawl was Sakurai's last Smash?
That was Sakurai's statement in Iwata Asks I believe.

And yeah, I think Brawl is the final smash (lol) and we'll be playing it to the end of time regardless.

And the OP makes so many good points. Listen to him people.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
You make very good points, however, if such a game is in popular demand, Nintendo is not going to overlook that demand. Many people are going to want to want a Smash 4 and Nintendo is known to give people the games they want. However, Nintendo always does this and half the time they aren't successful. They've kept their franchise characters alive for around 15 years because people keep wanting them, whether the games suck, like with Mario Sunshine. I think that they might make a Smash 4, I also think thought that it will have a high percentage of sucking, cuz its going to be very very hard to live up to brawl.

Mike87

Smash Ace
You can't get much better than what Brawl has set out, no matter how many characters you add, how many levels you add, etc. Something has to break; and something will grow old and stale. Brawl was created as if it were the last one to exist, and I believe that this was important to take note of, not because of how well the end product shaped up, but with what this means for the Smash franchise.
1) Never say never, I'm sure they'll think of something, maybe some sort of gameplay change to keep the series from getting stale

Also why abandona series when its so profitable?
Afterall:

1) People like Smash Bros
2) ?????????
3) Profit.

falco999

Smash Apprentice
the only thing i want to say is that if there is going to be another game then the brawl roster is fine. but if brawl is the last then the roster isn't good enough for the rest of time

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
chances are that the game will be done... maybe... but some things will be sure:
I dont think it will achieve what brawl will achieve. In sales and whatsoever..
the game will be likely developed by a brand new team.... so anything can happen, also sakurai willmost likely not be there since he gave all what he has to brawl.
Sincerely, how can you top brawl, without doing more of the same?. This is not a mario party guys... you will not reunite like 2oo employees to do a conitnuation of brawl.

We sincerely dont know when nintendo will do another crazy thing like they did with brawl!!

Smash 4 is a very distant dream!

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Brawl isn't the second coming people, I have it...

No really, there is so much left to be added its just naive to regard it so perfectly.

zeldamaster018

Smash Rookie
I think the wait will be long about 10 years for the next smash bros to get new characters in the future and the technology with video games is becoming better all the time and memory space you just don't know in 10 years you could be sitting at the computer reading the recent upgrade for smash bros. 4

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
You have some good points.

My few disagreements are that:

I can hardly call the roster balanced when there are few original unlockables (Lucario, ROB, and that's about it) and we have clones that should never have existed (Ness, Wolf, TOON LINK?!?). I don't think clones would require much balancing--hence why they are in the roster. They could have easily just been left out, or they could have added a half a dozen more clones if they couldn't "balance" anymore. I can't even call it "varied." Maybe "original," but not with the usual connotations of "quality." Or any good adjective. It's completely substandard--in itself, it's basically the Melee 2.0 roster, the roster that should have happened six years ago (minus Ike, Lucas, WW Link, Lucario, D3, and maybe one or two other characters, for continuity reasons--I don't hate any of those characters, except potatohead). And Ridley, the one character everyone knew would be a PC, isn't in it (yes, I'm a Ridley fan, but only because I figured siding with the most likely character to get in and not caring about anyone else would result in less disappointment about everything else; I was very wrong, but I think it says a lot about the rationality employed when making the roster if even Ridley didn't make it).

IMO, the SSE is nowhere near as epic nor replayable as it could have been/was hyped to be. I'm sure at least some people who have seen the spoilers agree with me. If you've been brainwashed by popular television to accept crap, that's your agenda, but I find the SSE to be about on the same level as High School Musical/Hannah Montana/hip hop/Kingdom Hearts/FF/Mario Sports/Zelda handhelds/movie trilogies/etc. All are indicators of how American appreciation for true skill/art/talent/whatever has gone to pot. I mean, yeah, we overhype everything because the PRs for these companies make their products out to be godly, but do people have to continuously lower their standards to the point of accepting ****?

Finally, yes, I don't care if SSB4 is basically SSB3 2.0. If they've added new characters and stages, I will still buy it because frankly I don't need nor want any of the extra crap they threw in this time. I want to brawl with relevant characters with unique movesets on diverse stages with cool music in the background; I don't care about stickers, or stage builder, or SSE with its lame made-up enemies (where did octoroks and topis go?) and a boring plot. But I have to ask: before the Dojo came out, did you even think that they could add wall clinging? Or Sonic? Or power-ups for characters? Or ROB? Or stage creator? Or customized controls? Or My Music? Or even the concept of SSE (granted, poorly executed)? I don't consider many of Brawl's innovations to be actually worth adding in due to how they were utilized, but I can readily admit that I would have never considered most of them to be possible for Brawl. I don't think you are any more qualified to be making judgments about the resources available for Brawl. Just because we can't imagine what they'll do next doesn't mean that they can't, and I'm sure SSB4 (if that ever happens) will not be a complete Brawl remake. It would take a lot to top all of the crap they added to this installment, but it isn't impossible.

In short, you're right. If people want a completely original SSB4, it isn't likely. Nay, I will be realistic and say it just isn't going to happen--I don't think they will add useful extra crap next time, just crap. But I would be very happy with a properly made Brawl sequel (good characters, levels, music, trophies added) if it came out, seeing as they botched this one (again).

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Why there will certainly be a fourth Smash Bros:
Smas Bros=Money
Nintendo wants money

Let's also put it into perspective. How many Pokemon generations have we sifted through, and how many stale console itterations have we experienced (not to mention the re-makes every generation).

Also, if you think Smash Bros Four will only be an upgrade, you should come and have a nice one hour talk about how the SSE should have been and what other modes they could have added with me. What is one thing, well, I had the idea of customizable movesets. Exchange one move for another. There is an Adventure Creating idea I had as well. The core game can also be altered in so many ways.

Believe me, there will CERTAINLY be a Smash 4. Logic>Interview that is trying to sell the game. Sakurai or not, Smash 4 will be playing on my Nintendo Virtual Reality Console in 6 years XD!

J18

Smash Journeyman
Its not a rumor. He said it himself in an interview somewhere.
no, i have to correct you here. in the Iwata Asks interview, he said the idea is that they were going to make the game as IF it were the last smash. NOT that it IS the last smash.

and @ the thread, you have a lot of good points, but it really all just boils down to money. they want money, they'll do what they can. and there's always something new you can do. always. people will never run out of ideas, especially for a game like smash.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
I have a counter point.

"Will Brawl make Nintendo lots and lots of money?"

If so, then this is not the last in the series.
If not, then this will be the last.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Why there will certainly be a fourth Smash Bros:
Smas Bros=Money
Nintendo wants money

Let's also put it into perspective. How many Pokemon generations have we sifted through, and how many stale console itterations have we experienced (not to mention the re-makes every generation).

Also, if you think Smash Bros Four will only be an upgrade, you should come and have a nice one hour talk about how the SSE should have been and what other modes they could have added with me. What is one thing, well, I had the idea of customizable movesets. Exchange one move for another. There is an Adventure Creating idea I had as well. The core game can also be altered in so many ways.

Believe me, there will CERTAINLY be a Smash 4. Logic>Interview that is trying to sell the game. Sakurai or not, Smash 4 will be playing on my Nintendo Virtual Reality Console in 6 years XD!
QFT: I like your first point. Completely forgot to mention that. I hate Pokemon for what it's become, the same as Mario Sports and FF and Disney. If you want another anology: listen to the entire repertoire of just one composer/musician (any genre) and eventually it will all start to sound the same. Why? Because originality only goes so far before you have to repeat stuff in order to sell something and "earn" your next meal. They keep releasing the same crap with a few not-so-novel additions just to make money. Taken alone, any one game/song might be great, but if you start to look at the series as a whole, you begin to realize exactly how little creativity is used with each successive addition.

courte

Smash Lord
OPINION

well yes because that's what all great things do, die and never return, like street fighter...

oh wait...

seriously though, i read through your post and i could see myself agreeing with you BUT i see even that as more speculation. it also doesn't help that you state it as fact unless you have solid undeniable proof of your ability to time travel. and who's to say that we the fans can;t do our part so that one day...

gaming is ever evolving... look how far we've come in the past 20 years... do you think nintendo is just gonna stop caring about the fans and their selves..

man i bet this is coming off as really snobby so i'm just gonna end it here... lol

OPINION :chuckle: carry on
did you think there would be a Brawl, when you first hoped into that Melee, oh so many years ago??

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Wall of text, and no I only skimmed it.

Also, I don't think you know what you're talking about, at least in regards to wifi. For one, there is practically no lag, but there are practically no options either. With anyone is basically worthless and even the friend codes stuff has it's limits as well. So, anyway. That's it.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
While it is true that topping this game will be one hell of a challenge and the next one that comes out probebly wont top it i'm fairly sure there will be a 4th one because there will always be a demand for a new one. The sales for this game will be fantastic they are already great when it comes out here the sales will be enormous. And there will be one on the next system and while your right it will probably be Brawl 2 it will have more characters, new modes, new levels, more music, and better graphics and who know whomever takes the reigns of the next game may strive to outdue Brawl and he/she may succeed and then well have an even better version of smash to play. With that being said though they may crash and burn or they might just pump out Brawl 2 either way the demand will be there so it will more than likely happen when the next system rolls arround.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
One way to determine this is to look at what people thought of melee. Perfect, even better than Brawl in some ways. The only thing keeping Melee from being called possibly the last smash game is it's lack of incompletion. Sakurai said that he tries to make smash games "as if it were the last in the series". Melee had that going but they were unable to fully finish and flesh it out like they wanted to because they had to release it and had to do it soon.
With Brawl, after a few delays and longer development time we can feel complete. And we do feel complete. However you have look at it historically. I bet no one thought about a much better sequel for Melee when it came out, and proof of that is that many wanted and/or expected a Melee 2.0. We got something else, and we seem to love it.
You said Brawl had everything and could barely be added on to, and that changing the play style would be risky. How? Melee's style was amazing, and Brawl is different yet amazing as well. Many people didn't like (at first) that the physics were different from the almight Melee, but quickly we grew on to it. What's stopping it from happening again in Brawl? You seem to love this style and don't want it to change, yet a change might be better or equally as good but under a different style. See what I'm getting at?

Also, for content, look at many other games. What do they have that Brawl doesn't? Add that to SSB4. What are some interesting things you would like to see added to Brawl, or improved? What are some things you like to do in 64/Melee/Brawl that don't have their own modes? Add that all to SSB4.

What about the story? We finally have a smash bros. plotline. But just like many other great series, including the Metroid Prime series, the sequel has new, different story that may or may not act as a continuation of the past games.
There are 3 ways to do a story's sequel.

1) Continues exactly where the last left off, like 'to be continued' being continued (Halo 2->3)?
2) A new kind of story, but it comes after the last, like events from the past may effect this new plot (Metroid Prime series)
3) Same characters, maybe new ones, but a BRAND NEW, unrelated-to-the-previous story.

Brawl could do any of those for a story.

g2g >_<, but think about that. ;)

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
"Seriously though…what can I say? Personally, I don’t like to make a distinction between those that have and those that haven’t. I mean, we’re only on the third title in the series and whether or not you’ve played a previous version is not that important. "

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol7_page3.jsp

Proof that none of the Smash Bros games aren't completely the same. I'm sure SSB4 will have it's own uniqueness to it too. Maybe alittle tag-team FS would be interesting. This also proves that there's room for a sequel, stated by Sakurai himself. =P

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
*I have a lot to say. If you are going to come in here and flash your ignorance by not reading the post and flooding my thread with TL;DR, then I would think twice. You have no idea how quick you imprint yourself as a ****** in many peoples minds when you post something so idiotic and childish. With that said, don't waste my time and your own, and just stay out of the thread if you have no intentions of reading.

I'll read all of it.

I believe the thought of a Smash Bros 4 is unlikely, but for a different reason.

You see, unlike Melee, Brawl is a gigantic game, filled to the brim with content. Content, that is not just filler, but extentions of the overall game. Every inch of that game is playable. You can even play with your trophies now.
Ok...

The overall content has increased in what Melee had, and added things that melee did NOT have. You can see that with the final package, that so much work and so much stuff was added, that it was almost as if they wanted you to stay busy for a really long time. Brawl guarantees a brand new experience every time you boot up your system, but how are they able to do this?
Then there's the things Melee did have, and Brawl didn't... and that includes a bunch of Trophies that should've of been brought back. Smash Bros. 4 should bring back those trophies. There's also Board the Effing platforms. Point is, there is stuff Brawl doesn't have, and it could and should have.

New levels and brand new opponents. All without the hassle of spending a penny. You don't have to pay for a plane ticket to face other talented players anymore, you can face them from the comfort of your own home. Lag is a variable, but every good thing comes with a bad. It is a balance in deeds as I like to call it. Look at the bright side; a little slowdown in comparison to a 75$ plane ticket? Your choice.
Yeah... it'll be awesome when I'm playing with anyone and I don't know I'm fighting a bunch of computers :ohwell: At least With Friends is decent. But that's all there is, decency. It can and should be improved. How? Sequel.

Sakurai has prepared for us a fine assortment of quirky levels as well as visual splendors, a selection that has shown the labors of Sora LTD. quite nicely. The list however might say 40+ levels.... but Brawl is easily capable of THOUSANDS! How IS this? User created levels. This feature ALONE guarentees a new thing EV-ER-Y day for smash fans to sink their teeth into.
40+? Nice way of saying 41. And guess what? There are many Nintendo locations that went overlooked and can't be made in Stage Builder. Sure, the stage roster is impressive, and I'm totally happy with it, but in a few years, new games (and even new franchises) will be created, and we'll need a new Smash game to go with it.

Smash also set a record with Brawl. 300+ songs. No game in the history of forever has ever acheived such a milestone. The most a game has ever had is around 50-70 tracks. Didn't even BREAK triple digits...
Brawl did. Thrice.[/QUOTE]

Oh I love Brawl's soundtrack. The only thing I dislike is knowing the cut songs, I mean, Smiles and Tears was cut? :ohwell:

Let's not forget the fact that we actually have TWO games going on. The side-scroller adventure that is SSE, and of course, the BRAWL modes. A fighting game AND an adventure game, bundled into one disc.
The SSE starts out great! But eventually gets more repetitive and more repetitive... Boss fights are easy, in Co-op it can take 10 seconds to beat a boss even in harder difficulties, and the ending sucks. Nice approach, but it's far from a standalone game. The multiplayer is Brawl's core. The SSE is a side.

We also could never forget the fact that we have 35 combatants; a great many of which who are new faces. The metagame has reverted to zero, and in it's place, lies a completely untouched metagame. It took people a couple of years to tear into Melee and turn it into a pro friendly, competetive-worthy title, but it HAPPENED, and with Brawl being a completely new game, it gives people something to work for.
The roster was a disappointment. Now I'm content. But this fails, because not only many important faces were neglected, but come a few years we WILL have more Smash worthy characters, and maybe more Smash worthy series. It's actually a shame Nintendo kept too much to the staples and retro in the roster. I mean, Olimar says hi, but where's Isaac? Jill?

What we have here, right now, and currently, is a VERY good and well-crafted game. Easily one of the best. Hell, for it's acheivements, it can be considered THE best as far as 2D fighters go.
Yep. It's an amazing game.

....Yet people desire a Smash Bros. 4. My question is simply this....

Why? Also, How?
*******s also wanted more Zeldas after Ocarina of Time and more Marios after Mario 64!! How dare they?

You can't get much better than what Brawl has set out, no matter how many characters you add, how many levels you add, etc. Something has to break; and something will grow old and stale. Brawl was created as if it were the last one to exist, and I believe that this was important to take note of, not because of how well the end product shaped up, but with what this means for the Smash franchise.
You see, it's not only a matter of adding, but also a matter of revamping. Ocarina of Time took away ALttP's Dark World and added Time Travel. Super Mario World took out the Tanooki suit and added the Cape and Yoshi. This helps keep sequels fresh, and it can be done with Smash.

There is really not much Smash 4 could DO that can top what we have already with Brawl. The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl. It wouldn't be a different game because it would be far too risky to try and remove certain things and add others into Smash 4 to create a new game. With how thorough Sora was in creating Brawl, we have modes out the rear. They couldn't add an online mode. We have that. They couldn't add a story mode, we have that. What the crap could you do with the music that Brawl HASN'T done?
I'm sorry, but there is. They could make the online better. They could have an even better story mode, with at least a decent ending that doesn't get as repetitive. And in the coming years, Smash worthy compositions will surface.

So to reiterate, Smash 4 only serves as an upgrade. It would be entirely too risky to tamper with the good things we have to give us more.
Narrow view of what good sequeling actually is.

Back to the "something has to break" point. People want more and more characters, but what people don't want is imbalance. You are basically asking for everything, as you can't have BOTH without tipping in the favor of another thing. Sure, we can have TONS of characters, but the balance pool that characters share would begin to trickle out as more and more characters are added into the mix. Brick upon brick of code drowning out previous code, and eventually? We would lose A LOT of balance. Please remember that no one character undergoes the same amount of development time. With each new character added is a few more days of balancing to adjust that new character with the growing number of characters already available.
Yes, balancing takes time, and that's why characters should be the first priority. You will never get a perfect balance, but you can have a decent balance (which is more than Melee, and apparently Brawl, to a lesser extent). There are many balancing approaches which have not been used yet. We saw Super Armor frames added... Smash 4 could bring more characters, but also more balance.

Basically? If you are last, you will take the longest time. People seem to ignore this point over and over again. Why? Denial perhaps.
Nah.

Brawl will be the final Smash game, but the most common question I hear is, "WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM FIEND LOL?"
Yeah, what about the WiiWii?

Brawl will be remade for that system, more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.
Really? That's a wild prediction, specially considering Nintendo's track record. Yeah, Nintendo isn't the studio making the job, but you'd be crazy to think that they don't oversee big projects like these.

but to start from the ground up to build a brand NEW smash? Unreasonable and completely silly to believe.
HAHA. No.

There is always the possibility that in a few years after Brawl has sold well and people are comfortable playing, that Nintendo will give us some downloadable things here or there, but it is not a certainty.
I wouldn't bet on that.

So in conclusion, you want a Smash 4?

....Well....you are looking at your Smash 4.
Crystal Ball?

OK. Here's the thing. You seem to think Brawl has reached perfection. This is not the case. And saying "We've made a great game so we won't make anymore" is like a chef quiting after he made the perfect cake, a novelist quiting after writing a great book... etc.

First of all, Smash evolves with Nintendo, and Nintendo will continue making games, eventually the amount of content will warrant a Brawl sequel. Even now Brawl could be improved. I mean, Mario Kart has rankings. :ohwell: DS has voicechat. And there are many things overlooked that should make future appearances in Smash. Diddy, Dedede and Pit in Melee? No. But not only that, but this doesn't only apply to characters. Any gamer could provide ideas to double Brawl's stage roster using many overlooked locations. There are things you can improve upon.

According to you we shouldn't have any Zelda games after Twilight Princess Ocarina of Time A Link to the Past, or any Mario game after Galaxy 64 Super Mario World Mario Bros. 3... but we have.

I do wish Sakurai won't direct Smash 4. The guy has proved with this game he can pack a lot of content, but fails to refreshen stale things from Melee. Ganondorf's moveset, for instance. Smash is a game that evolves with Nintendo and characters should have more than standard attacks and maybe one Special changed withing iterations... Miyamoto is the kind of guy who likes to completely do away with elements and add new ones to replace them and even more new ones to make the game a completely new experience.

I'd take Smash 4 in a heartbeat only to get Miyamoto to do it.

Regarding Trophies, actually, MEH. Sakurai said it himself, they exported the models from other games this time. That saved time as they only had to make the ones that had no 3D model and wished to not leave in 2D. But there are many Melee trophies that didn't make the cut. Huh? The first thing he should have done is bring back all the old trophies and then add on to them.

And before any of you kiddos goes "OMG CONTRADICTION!!" Yes, I said a game should do away with gameplay elements and all to keep it fresh, but if you fail to see how Trophies are different from these you deserve a slap.

Oh yeah, the music is impressive, and it gets a 10/10. Hope they can get an 11/10 with Smash 4.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
You make some good points, but I'm here to simply say...don't underestimate the greed of a company. Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest series. As long as it's making money, we will see sequels.

One could argue, though, is Sakurai isn't returning...he doesn't even work at Nintendo, anyways.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
what one guy said here, if brawl makes money, which it has/will. there will probably be a sequel.

of course i would like a sequel, i dont want to act controversial and say "i wouldnt get it" because honestly i would, i would want to see more characters, from different series.
or characters from existing series that didnt get the spotlight
(ex.Skull kid, ridley, whatever)
i think smash should live on, and you can say "we have all technology and content in this game" but if brawl was better than melee, surely SSB4 would be better than brawl.

who knows what technological advancements we'll have by that time, hell, id go as far to say "create a character"
(which would be ******** btw)

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I believe the thought of a Smash Bros 4 is unlikely, but for a different reason.

You see, unlike Melee, Brawl is a gigantic game, filled to the brim with content. Content, that is not just filler, but extentions of the overall game. Every inch of that game is playable. You can even play with your trophies now.

The overall content has increased in what Melee had, and added things that melee did NOT have. You can see that with the final package, that so much work and so much stuff was added, that it was almost as if they wanted you to stay busy for a really long time. Brawl guarantees a brand new experience every time you boot up your system, but how are they able to do this?

New levels and brand new opponents. All without the hassle of spending a penny. You don't have to pay for a plane ticket to face other talented players anymore, you can face them from the comfort of your own home. Lag is a variable, but every good thing comes with a bad. It is a balance in deeds as I like to call it. Look at the bright side; a little slowdown in comparison to a 75$ plane ticket? Your choice.

Sakurai has prepared for us a fine assortment of quirky levels as well as visual splendors, a selection that has shown the labors of Sora LTD. quite nicely. The list however might say 40+ levels.... but Brawl is easily capable of THOUSANDS! How IS this? User created levels. This feature ALONE guarentees a new thing EV-ER-Y day for smash fans to sink their teeth into.

Smash also set a record with Brawl. 300+ songs. No game in the history of forever has ever acheived such a milestone. The most a game has ever had is around 50-70 tracks. Didn't even BREAK triple digits...

Brawl did. Thrice.

Let's not forget the fact that we actually have TWO games going on. The side-scroller adventure that is SSE, and of course, the BRAWL modes. A fighting game AND an adventure game, bundled into one disc.

We also could never forget the fact that we have 35 combatants; a great many of which who are new faces. The metagame has reverted to zero, and in it's place, lies a completely untouched metagame. It took people a couple of years to tear into Melee and turn it into a pro friendly, competetive-worthy title, but it HAPPENED, and with Brawl being a completely new game, it gives people something to work for.

What we have here, right now, and currently, is a VERY good and well-crafted game. Easily one of the best. Hell, for it's acheivements, it can be considered THE best as far as 2D fighters go.

....Yet people desire a Smash Bros. 4. My question is simply this....

Why? Also, How?

There is really not much Smash 4 could DO that can top what we have already with Brawl. The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl. It wouldn't be a different game because it would be far too risky to try and remove certain things and add others into Smash 4 to create a new game. With how thorough Sora was in creating Brawl, we have modes out the rear. They couldn't add an online mode. We have that. They couldn't add a story mode, we have that. What the crap could you do with the music that Brawl HASN'T done?

So to reiterate, Smash 4 only serves as an upgrade. It would be entirely too risky to tamper with the good things we have to give us more.

Back to the "something has to break" point. People want more and more characters, but what people don't want is imbalance. You are basically asking for everything, as you can't have BOTH without tipping in the favor of another thing. Sure, we can have TONS of characters, but the balance pool that characters share would begin to trickle out as more and more characters are added into the mix. Brick upon brick of code drowning out previous code, and eventually? We would lose A LOT of balance. Please remember that no one character undergoes the same amount of development time. With each new character added is a few more days of balancing to adjust that new character with the growing number of characters already available.

Basically? If you are last, you will take the longest time. People seem to ignore this point over and over again. Why? Denial perhaps.

Brawl will be the final Smash game, but the most common question I hear is, "WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM FIEND LOL?"

Brawl will be remade for that system, more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.

but to start from the ground up to build a brand NEW smash? Unreasonable and completely silly to believe.

There is always the possibility that in a few years after Brawl has sold well and people are comfortable playing, that Nintendo will give us some downloadable things here or there, but it is not a certainty.

So in conclusion, you want a Smash 4?

....Well....you are looking at your Smash 4.
Because there is stuff missing in Brawl. Yes, Brawl doesn't have everything. As long as a game is popular and it can be improved upon, it will have a sequel.

Let's take each aspect Brawl brings to the table, and talk about how a sequel might improve it, and what could be added that would be all new!

First, let's start with the Subspace Emissary. It's a Single-Player or Co-Op game in the world of Smash. I'm sure loads of people with love it, but... it IS a SINGLE-PLAYER game. There's only so much you can do in a single-player game, before people don't touch it anymore... To start work on Smash Bros. 4, we would first need an ALL-NEW epic storyline for our kickin' Adventure Mode... A Subspace Emissary II, if you will... involving characters both old and new to the series, and an all-new villian! It should also be Online Co-Op.

Next we have Stage Builder, it's a good start, but it doesn't have very many parts. A Smash Bros. 4 would give Stage Builder more parts, and perhaps allow the created stages online with friends. Not only that, but expand it to Target Test or an entire custom level where you can place enemies, a starting place, and a goal. There could even be competition between who is the fastest through!

As for the good old Versus mode, they could add Tag Team Brawl... where four people in two teams fight it out in 1 vs. 1 fare, but they could tag out to their partner... sorta like in some other fighting games.

As for the Chronicle, Trophies, and Stickers, if Super Smash Bros. is going to be an encyclopedia of Nintendo, then it HAS to be updated for games that came out after Brawl's release.

Put in 10 more characters and replace a few, update the graphics, fix the glitches, and have it release for the next console, and you've got a sequel! Besides people were already happy when they were expecting just a Melee 2.0!

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Pseuso-QFT for PrettyGoodYear (I'm not reposting something so long...waste of space). I'm glad there's someone else who agrees that Brawl is a disappointment because it really didn't live up to its potential.

Edit: Same goes for SAMaine.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe all people can suggest is better graphics and added content. As if Smash is perfect in every way and its sequel thrives on useless add-ons. Like I said, there is plenty of room for actual quality improvement, not just quantity.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Has Sakurai ever announed that Brawl was the Final? I don't think so... but Although this ost has some good points, I can't get the fact out of my mind that there can't be another smash.

Before when Melee came out, I thought that was the end of it, but look right now...

Plus, how can people come up with more characters? New games come out, right? Thats where Smash comes in to put those characters in their place.

but your right, Smash 4 will most likely serve as an upgrade.

BRAWL IS AMONG MY INFINITE CPT. FALCON PUNCHING GRASP!!!

Shuma

Smash Hero
I didn't read it. Why? saying there's not going to be Smash 4 is like saying there will be no more Zelda/Mario games.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Has Sakurai ever announed that Brawl was the Final? I don't think so... but Although this ost has some good points, I can't get the fact out of my mind that there can't be another smash.

Before when Melee came out, I thought that was the end of it, but look right now...

Plus, how can people come up with more characters? New games come out, right? Thats where Smash comes in to put those characters in their place.

but your right, Smash 4 will most likely serve as an upgrade.

BRAWL IS AMONG MY INFINITE CPT. FALCON PUNCHING GRASP!!!
He did say in an interview he wanted to make the game "as if it was the last in the series." Though I'm pretty sure that was just an obligatory mindset, a lot of developers go into a game hoping it satisfies all...

Break

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, why does anyone even give a s*** about this right now? We won't know the answer to such a question for a few years at the least. The need for useless speculation on this board is frankly getting quite pathetic. If you don't have your hands on Brawl yet, find something else besides silly speculation on a message board to spend your time on.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Hold shift on your keyboard and hit 4. If you do so while in a typing area, you'll see a funny little symbol appear that looks like this ---> $. It is my firm belief that everything Nintendo does prioritizes this little guy over all else. If Brawl outsells Melee (which I believe it will), I would be willing to bet on a sequel. What is Nintendo known for more than anything else? Milking successful series until they are drained of all that made them great in the first place. Count the number of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon games out there. That alone should be enough to show that chances are that Nintendo will not let Smash die here.

That said, I think that you may be right about this being the last Smash game as we know it. I would not rule out Nintendo selling character and map add-ons as opposed to creating an entirely new game. If I had to bet though, I'd say they will eventually make a new Smash game entirely. Somewhere down the road, there WILL be another. It may not be on the next console they release, but it will definitely be back within the next two. There's just too much money in these games, and Nintendo is clearly driven by profits. Could SSB4 be just a simple character and map update over Brawl? Sure. I wouldn't doubt Nintendo would do such a thing. Look how many times Mario has accomplished the same goal only in different venues. Obviously just making new levels for a tried and true game doesn't bother Nintendo at all, so why would Smash, arguably the most popular game series Nintendo has right now, be an exception to this process? Sure, things might be MUCH different after Brawl. But they might not. Things might actually be so similar that we're groaning about how there isn't enough difference. I don't know. But I do believe that there will be SSB4. That's just the Nintendo way.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I see where you're coming from Lavis Fiend. It is hard to comprehend how another Smash game could fundamentally improve on Brawl, but I think that you aren't giving enough credit to Nintendo here.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, why does anyone even give a s*** about this right now? We won't know the answer to such a question for a few years at the least. The need for useless speculation on this board is frankly getting quite pathetic. If you don't have your hands on Brawl yet, find something else besides silly speculation on a message board to spend your time on.
Because the sooner the fans (we) show interest in SSB4, the sooner it will actually happen.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
We also could never forget the fact that we have 35 combatants; a great many of which who are new faces.
The great thing is that this is actually an understatement. There might be 35 boxes on the character selection screen, but there are 39 characters playable. Or 37 at the absolute least, if someone thinks the Pokemon don't count since they have to switch on every death.

The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl.
I pretty much agree, yes. And that sounds like a good thing to me. ^_^ I want more content and not as much dramatic change as was seen from N64 to GC, or from GC to Wii.

People want more and more characters, but what people don't want is imbalance. You are basically asking for everything, as you can't have BOTH without tipping in the favor of another thing.
I don't worry about imbalance that much, really; it would still exist even if there were only six characters in the game. Besides, if the roster becomes enormous, at least there's a greater chance that every character will be a counter to one or more other characters, and maybe a kind of unusual balance can be created that way.

Brawl will be remade for that system [Nintendo's next system], more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying here, except that I think the remade Brawl will be the thing that makes downloadable content happen.

Break

Smash Apprentice
Because the sooner the fans (we) show interest in SSB4, the sooner it will actually happen.
If only the gaming industry really worked that way. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Companies will continue to do what makes them money. People aren't asking for any more Mario Party games, but Nintendo keeps spinning them out. People showed interest in having another Super Smash Bros. game shortly after Melee was released and it still took seven long years. Therefore, I call shenanigans on your reasoning.

S2

Smash Lord
Nintendo will make another Smash game because Nintendo likes money. They won't just stop making their (arguably) biggest hardcore franchise.

Its not unreasonable that all other Smash games in the future will simply be tweaks of the engine.

OR

new engines with certain old characters literally cut and paste in the new one.

Balancing the game is very viable even with a lot of characters. You simply slightly buff the weak and slightly nerf the strong. No game is perfectly balanced, butsmall changes go a long way.

For Smash 4 they could literally take Brawl's engine - change the physics mildly (like making it less floaty) and it'd feel like a different game. Count on this as a real possiblity.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
If only the gaming industry really worked that way. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Companies will continue to do what makes them money. People aren't asking for any more Mario Party games, but Nintendo keeps spinning them out.
Just because you and I don't ask for any more Mario Party games (IMO, they're ****) doesn't mean there isn't a fanbase for it.

As much of a letdown as Brawl is, it will still make a crapload of money, so there really isn't any reason for Nintendo to not continue the series and try to make more profits (if, as you say, Nintendo will do whatever makes them money, the answer would be to continue the money-making franchises--LIKE SSB). They've done it countless other times with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Starfox, Kirby, and those series are still really popular because people are still stupid enough to buy them, just like the Mario Party series.

Top Bottom