• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why there will be no Super Smash Bros. 4....

cllzzrd

Smash Apprentice
If there is a SSB4, it will be for the next system that nintendo makes. SSB was for N64, SSBM was for GC, and how SSBB is for the Wii, it makes sense that the next (if there is a next) SSB will be for whatever godly system that nintendo makes.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
If there is a SSB4, it will be for the next system that nintendo makes. SSB was for N64, SSBM was for GC, and how SSBB is for the Wii, it makes sense that the next (if there is a next) SSB will be for whatever godly system that nintendo makes.
Let's hope the next godly system doesn't get a ******** name.

Break

Smash Apprentice
Just because you and I don't ask for any more Mario Party games (IMO, they're ****) doesn't mean there isn't a fanbase for it.

As much of a letdown as Brawl is, it will still make a crapload of money, so there really isn't any reason for Nintendo to not continue the series and try to make more profits (if, as you say, Nintendo will do whatever makes them money, the answer would be to continue the money-making franchises--LIKE SSB). They've done it countless other times with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Starfox, Kirby, and those series are still really popular because people are still stupid enough to buy them, just like the Mario Party series.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you on all points. I'm just saying that such large amounts of speculation on Smash Bros. 4, at least at this point in time, are utterly unwarranted and entirely silly. Brawl hasn't even been released in the US or Europe, yet people feel the need to discuss whether or not there will be a sequel before the majority of them have even played the freaking game.

In summary, all I'm trying to say is that I find the basis of this thread itself, ultimately nonsensical.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
I think they should make a Smash 4 for a Nintendo console that supports a hard drive, so the game is expandable, and we can simply download more content, or at least another Smash game for the DS.

However, I think this might have been Sakurai's final smash in terms of the SSB series :(

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you on all points. I'm just saying that such large amounts of speculation on Smash Bros. 4, at least at this point in time, are utterly unwarranted and entirely silly. Brawl hasn't even been released in the US or Europe, yet people feel the need to discuss whether or not there will be a sequel before the majority of them have even played the freaking game.

In summary, all I'm trying to say is that I find the basis of this thread itself, ultimately nonsensical.
"A little nonsense now and then
Is relished by the wisest men."

Sorry, but that just came to mind. Cookie for the reference (though it's such a proverbial sounding phrase, I bet it's in more than one movie/book/whatever).

Ya, it does seem really early to be talking about this, but I figure why not? What else are we going to do while waiting? At least threads like this might end up being productive in the long run and accomplish more for the SSB4 that we almost know will come out (though we were wrong about Ridley--I guess it doesn't hurt to hope).
Granted, I think Lavisfiend should stop creating threads that basically state what he thinks is his god-given opinion about things and just post it in the appropriate thread like everyone else so that 1: it will be preserved way longer than this thread, which will probably be closed, and 2: we'll have less spam threads. From that perspective, I do agree that this thread is nonsensical.

Garuda

Smash Ace
*I DID NOT LOOK AT THE REPLIES TO THIS POST, I AM FAR TOO TIRED TO DO SO*

I enjoyed your post, as it was well thought-out, very interesting. You really made your points.

However, I think it's entirely possible to improve the next installment, if it ever takes place. I never thought of an adventure mode for Smash, I never thought of a stage builder.

Still, though, the only other developer who could possibly rival Sakurai, in my opinion at least, is Shigeru Miyamoto. But even then, he just doesn't... ugh, I just can't put my finger on it, but he just doesn't... have that TOUCH that Sakurai has... I dunno.

There is one thing we should remember though-- Nintendo is a company. So far, a leading company in the gaming industry. How? Money. How do you get money? The best way would be to make a really awesome (or at least popular and appealing) game that everyone buys. Smash Bros. is undoubtedly one of Nintendo's most popular franchises, and they know it. So, even if they are lazy when it came to ideas and development, I'd expect them to make a new installment, or maybe even an update, like you said.

If I missed one of your points, I apologize, I am very tired and haven't been able to think very thoroughly today.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
LavisFiend, I'm a fan of long and well thought out posts!

Well, not really, but I actually make a point of reading posts in a topic regardless of length. I only don't read unreadable posts. =P

Personally me, nothing about this game is disappointing me (set aside a few discrepancies in the roster which ultimately I understand to be minor). I absolutely like everything I'm seeing. Characters look good, sound good, and the music is brilliant. The SSE looks incredibly fun (especially if you have someone helping you along). From what I understand, the game in many ways has become more intricate, but also with a less sensitive control scheme making it easier to initially adapt to.

The most important thing to me is that this game well represents Nintendo, and doesn't outright suck when you play it. That is a win in my book.

Break

Smash Apprentice
"A little nonsense now and then
Is relished by the wisest men."

Sorry, but that just came to mind. Cookie for the reference (though it's such a proverbial sounding phrase, I bet it's in more than one movie/book/whatever).

Ya, it does seem really early to be talking about this, but I figure why not? What else are we going to do while waiting? At least threads like this might end up being productive in the long run and accomplish more for the SSB4 that we almost know will come out (though we were wrong about Ridley--I guess it doesn't hurt to hope).
Granted, I think Lavisfiend should stop creating threads that basically state what he thinks is his god-given opinion about things and just post it in the appropriate thread like everyone else so that 1: it will be preserved way longer than this thread, which will probably be closed, and 2: we'll have less spam threads. From that perspective, I do agree that this thread is nonsensical.
Well, at the very least this thread has restored my hope that intelligent conversations/debates can be had on these boards. For that good sir, I thank you.

Arteen

Smash Lord
They've done it countless other times with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Starfox, Kirby, and those series are still really popular because people are still stupid enough to buy them, just like the Mario Party series.
...stupid enough?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't find the concept of SSB 4 ridculious... what I find ridculious is people are putting that much thought into a sequal before the 3rd game is out in most areas of the world >>

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Well, at the very least this thread has restored my hope that intelligent conversations/debates can be had on these boards. For that good sir, I thank you.
Likewise, I'm sure. I'm getting tired of seeing stupid people posts. Some don't even try to be intelligent, just "ZOMFG, TEH ROBZ IS LIEK TEH BESTESTEST CAHR EVVARRR!!! SOCCEREYE IS TEH GAWD!!!"
Okay, that was an exaggeration, but there have been some posts that practically embody "illiterate ignorance." I would just hope that people would be more rational in their posts and general thought process.

But back to reality...

What were we talking about, again? Ahhh...I guess we should just continue this conversation on whatever random tangent we were off on, seeing as the topic of this thread really doesn't create many interesting posts, just whether people agree with Lavisfiend (which isn't bad, and I sort of agree, but does this merit its own thread? Should we inform the mods?).

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
...stupid enough?
Okay, let's face it. From a certain perspective, all (canon) Mario games are basically the same. All Zelda games are basically the same. Same for Kirby, Metroid, etc.They tweak them, they add a few things, but overall it's the same characters (which is fine) in the same plot (which is not fine). So, yes, if people are willing to ignore the fact that they're basically paying more money for repeated remakes, they are stupid.

Personally, that is all I've come to expect from video games. Really good remakes. Updated graphics, one or two new implementations, but for the most part, the same game. Mostly that's because I know we won't get anything better, but I must admit that I am included in that group of stupid consumers. I will continue to buy the games because the world is undergoing a sort of creativity shortage and it is far easier to find a really good idea repeated than to produce something completely original. Thus, although Nintendo games are really all the same thing, they are sadly the best out there.

soulz

Smash Cadet
Even if upgrades are made, why wouldn't it be labeled the fourth iteration?
I mean other games do it all the time, e.g Tekken 4,5,6 mostly have the same system, same gameplay and just added characters. If SSBB is popular enough, which it has proven to be in Japan already, i don't see why another one cannot be made. Even if the people who made ssbb didn't come and make the 4th one, who says that another person won't or can't, like all the final fantasy games, not all the same people work on the whole 13 games.
Look at the Mario Party series, they still pump those out, even if it did go stale, they add more characters, change maps, tweak minigames, though i don't think it has online,, if ssbb makes money i see no reason why Nintendo should stop making the smash bros series.

Mama

Smash Ace
Well I understand what you're trying to say (OP) but the bottom line of your post is that you think they wont make a SSB 4 because Brawl is too good or has too many things. Well the short answer to that is thats exactly what people said about Melee. Look at the improvement from SSB 64 to Melee. Really its as simple as that. Its way too early to think about SSB 4 imo. There are so many things they could do that we wont even be able to think of. You may not be able to see what now but think about before Brawl, did you expect any of the special features Brawl had to come to be? I think you're just under estimating Sakurai's abilities. But like someone said its far far far too early to have SSB 4 as the popular debating topic.

The arguments over "new advance techniques" are still to young to be over shadowed by something even further in the future.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Sakurai has NEVER said Brawl was his last Smash, and there's no doubts with me that he'll be directing future ones.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Sakurai has NEVER said Brawl was his last Smash, and there's no doubts with me that he'll be directing future ones.
Sakurai has shown in the past a personal dislike of constant sequals I don't know how easy it would be to convince him again.

:034:

Smash Hero
Why there will be a Smash Bros 4.:

- Money. Nintendo wants money. Smash Bros sells. Get the hint?
- In due time, there will be enough to improve on. Even now I can think of the little things that could've already been added but never were.
- After a few years, there will be new technology to feast on and try out.

Sakurai has shown in the past a personal dislike of constant sequals I don't know how easy it would be to convince him again.
Just show of some dollar yen notes and Sakurai will agree.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
You make some points but I still must disagree. Sure the game is huge and it's hard to see how it could get better. But there is always a next gen. I wouldn't want or expect a smash 4 on the Wii. But I do expect one on the next Nintendo system.

The idea that smash 4 will just be brawl with a graphic update and maybe a few new characters is interesting but I don't think it's the route Nintendo will take. I do believe this will be Sakurai's last smash, and I also believe that could be what makes smash 4 just as amazing as brawl. Thats not to say he didn't do an amazing job with Brawl. But a new person taking over could be exactly what smash 4 will need to not just be repetitive. A new person with new idea and yet another new physics engine.

residentevilrulz

Smash Apprentice
If Brawl makes money, which it definately will and is, Nintendo will do a smash 4. It is going to (and probably already has) sold out all of their other franchises like Mario Tennis, etc. They would be stupid to turn down all of that money. And stupid is something that Nintendo is not. At least not in most respects. The only thing stupid about them is their online play

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
i see......Brawl has everything we need,an adventure mode,a fighting mode,everything that Melee didn't have!but if SSB4 is coming out in maybe 7 years.It could have everything that Brawl didn't have,i mean they could add more roster,items,stages and a whole new storyline! Subspace Emissary 2.But i see alot are disappointed about the roster,but it satisfied me!Brawl is going to be the greatest game in the universe,let's see if the game sells more copies than Super Mario Bros. ,I am going to love this game..........i cant wait for it! but i will get it!

dnishimura

Smash Rookie
We're stepping into other fighting games issues, like 'too extensive character hoster'... Sakurai won't add more characters as new smash bros comes out. He'll try new ones and remove the less used based on his researches. The same for stages and music.

And there are two things I think would be interesting...:
- Adventure: Real Rpg based game (SSE Stickers don't count)
- Mini-games: More mini-games and play them VS another online player

Mama

Smash Ace
? Constant sequels? These games were YEARS apart. As long as he's developing games there will be Smash. And even if he didn't want to make games anymore he has understudies. All big time developers do.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What I find hilarious about this is that I read a similar thread on Nsider back in 2003 regarding Melee how it was supposedly nothing that could be approved upon besides the addition of online play. Brawl is not the end all of video games and it definately has it's flaws. Granted, Brawl won't have an immediate sequel but with the franchise so wildy popular in every region, it'd be stupid to think that there won't be one eventually. Sakurai saying he won't direct the next Smash game is ilrelevant too because Nintendo has talent that can replace him or can even farm raise someone if nessecary. Also, who is there to say that Sakurai is not the next Miyazaki; telling the world that he's going to retire only to announce another film 3-4 years down the road. Still, to say there will be no SSB4 this early is foolhardy.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
1 game per system is not that bad at all... if they did that for every system forever, well, id be happy:)

i am sure Nintendo can think up new stuff as they did pretty good with this one, so i am not scared of a brawl 1.1

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, another flaw in this arguement is how you insist that simply because it has online play and stage building option that a vast number of people are going to play it forever. People get bored of these things too. By the time most people build their 10th stage or when Brawl's online mainly becomes dominated by freakishly good players (case in point: the Halo franchise, Mario Kart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, *insert almost every other competitive online game ever made here*), they will become bored with it and, just like with Melee, most people will be hungry for a sequel within a year or two after Brawl's release.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
You've got some good points, but if SSE is very successful, I think people will want a sequel to continue the canon of the storyline. I'm personally looking forward to playing SSE when I get Brawl, and depending on how the story goes, maybe a 4th Smash Bros. may be in order depending on SSE.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
LavisFiend said:
Brawl will be remade for that system, more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.
Well, isn't new characters the main reason why we want a Smash 4 in the first place?

NotGiratina

Smash Apprentice
Your gameplay based points are solid,but you obviously don't know much about business practices.If there is enough demand,it will be made.And smash isn't exactly short on demand.:/ Supply and demand are the basis of the world's economy BTW.So a Smash 4 isn't out of the question.o_O

Tl;DR version

I don't agree.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to dissapppoint you, but SSB4 is already being planned and in production as SSBS Super Smash Bros Showdown is the unoffical name as of right now dont ask me were i found it ask SMYN

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. Even though Brawl's brimming with content, who knows what Nintendo will think of in a decade. Brawl's going to last very, very long, probably for over a decade, but it will eventually have room for improvement. Smash is a huge franchise. There's no reason they should discontinue it.

Oh, and a new adventure mode would be needed too.

Top Bottom