• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why there will be no Super Smash Bros. 4....

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
*I have a lot to say. If you are going to come in here and flash your ignorance by not reading the post and flooding my thread with TL;DR, then I would think twice. You have no idea how quick you imprint yourself as a ****** in many peoples minds when you post something so idiotic and childish. With that said, don't waste my time and your own, and just stay out of the thread if you have no intentions of reading.*

I believe the thought of a Smash Bros 4 is unlikely, but for a different reason.

You see, unlike Melee, Brawl is a gigantic game, filled to the brim with content. Content, that is not just filler, but extentions of the overall game. Every inch of that game is playable. You can even play with your trophies now.

The overall content has increased in what Melee had, and added things that melee did NOT have. You can see that with the final package, that so much work and so much stuff was added, that it was almost as if they wanted you to stay busy for a really long time. Brawl guarantees a brand new experience every time you boot up your system, but how are they able to do this?

New levels and brand new opponents. All without the hassle of spending a penny. You don't have to pay for a plane ticket to face other talented players anymore, you can face them from the comfort of your own home. Lag is a variable, but every good thing comes with a bad. It is a balance in deeds as I like to call it. Look at the bright side; a little slowdown in comparison to a 75$ plane ticket? Your choice.

Sakurai has prepared for us a fine assortment of quirky levels as well as visual splendors, a selection that has shown the labors of Sora LTD. quite nicely. The list however might say 40+ levels.... but Brawl is easily capable of THOUSANDS! How IS this? User created levels. This feature ALONE guarentees a new thing EV-ER-Y day for smash fans to sink their teeth into.

Smash also set a record with Brawl. 300+ songs. No game in the history of forever has ever acheived such a milestone. The most a game has ever had is around 50-70 tracks. Didn't even BREAK triple digits...

Brawl did. Thrice.

Let's not forget the fact that we actually have TWO games going on. The side-scroller adventure that is SSE, and of course, the BRAWL modes. A fighting game AND an adventure game, bundled into one disc.

We also could never forget the fact that we have 35 combatants; a great many of which who are new faces. The metagame has reverted to zero, and in it's place, lies a completely untouched metagame. It took people a couple of years to tear into Melee and turn it into a pro friendly, competetive-worthy title, but it HAPPENED, and with Brawl being a completely new game, it gives people something to work for.

What we have here, right now, and currently, is a VERY good and well-crafted game. Easily one of the best. Hell, for it's acheivements, it can be considered THE best as far as 2D fighters go.

....Yet people desire a Smash Bros. 4. My question is simply this....

Why? Also, How?

You can't get much better than what Brawl has set out, no matter how many characters you add, how many levels you add, etc. Something has to break; and something will grow old and stale. Brawl was created as if it were the last one to exist, and I believe that this was important to take note of, not because of how well the end product shaped up, but with what this means for the Smash franchise.

There is really not much Smash 4 could DO that can top what we have already with Brawl. The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl. It wouldn't be a different game because it would be far too risky to try and remove certain things and add others into Smash 4 to create a new game. With how thorough Sora was in creating Brawl, we have modes out the rear. They couldn't add an online mode. We have that. They couldn't add a story mode, we have that. What the crap could you do with the music that Brawl HASN'T done?

So to reiterate, Smash 4 only serves as an upgrade. It would be entirely too risky to tamper with the good things we have to give us more.

Back to the "something has to break" point. People want more and more characters, but what people don't want is imbalance. You are basically asking for everything, as you can't have BOTH without tipping in the favor of another thing. Sure, we can have TONS of characters, but the balance pool that characters share would begin to trickle out as more and more characters are added into the mix. Brick upon brick of code drowning out previous code, and eventually? We would lose A LOT of balance. Please remember that no one character undergoes the same amount of development time. With each new character added is a few more days of balancing to adjust that new character with the growing number of characters already available.

Basically? If you are last, you will take the longest time. People seem to ignore this point over and over again. Why? Denial perhaps.

Brawl will be the final Smash game, but the most common question I hear is, "WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM FIEND LOL?"

Brawl will be remade for that system, more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.

but to start from the ground up to build a brand NEW smash? Unreasonable and completely silly to believe.

There is always the possibility that in a few years after Brawl has sold well and people are comfortable playing, that Nintendo will give us some downloadable things here or there, but it is not a certainty.

So in conclusion, you want a Smash 4?

....Well....you are looking at your Smash 4.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
What happened to the rumour floating around that Brawl was Sakurai's last Smash?

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and also, Where would they find the time and patience to beg Sega to bring Sonic to it, and to listen to Konami's cries of Snake being in.

Like the Angry Video Game Nerd:

What a ****load of ****.

Well, that's my rant. LOL.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
A good and true read, despite how we want a Smash 4.

As thye said in 1up, "They're saying this is the last one which makes sense, because how can you truely top this?"

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Sakurai is *supposedly* not going to do another Smash game, so someone else could take over and drastically change the basic Smash formula (in a good way, which will require lots and lots of testing). I don't know, maybe a 3D fighter, somehow? I think it was mentioned in one of the Iwata Asks interviews. Anyway, I slightly agree, but if there is going to be a Smash 4, it probably won't be Smash as we know it right now.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Where does it say that this will probably be the last Brawl? Does Sakurai himself say that?

If it's true, hopefully they improve online play.

Sebastian

Smash Journeyman
People 'say' things all the time. If what people said is what they did then the world would be a whole different place. Noone can predict if another smashbrothers will be released and judging by the pace computers games are being updated there will most likely be another smash brothers, if not designed by sakurai anyway.

Personally I think it will be on a next generation console anyway.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai wasn't going to make brawl either, but then Iwata was like, ohey, wanna make a smash 3?
And so he did >>

And TBH, they could just add a bunch of characters and I would still buy a smash 4 >>

I still want one, and I still see it as a possibility...

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
A few questions:

1] Where have you found $75 plane tickets? You can't buy a beer on most flights for $75.
2] Do you own the game? Because the "WHOLE BIG SINGLE PLAYER ADVENTURE" isn't the bargain people claim. It only takes about 7 hours to beat, and it's shallow as all hell.

With that said, I like the idea of Smash 4 being this one with a few engine tweaks, a few new characters, and all of this sticker/coin launcher/SSE crap being taken out in favor of alt. outfits. Thassall.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Sakurai is *supposedly* not going to do another Smash game, so someone else could take over and drastically change the basic Smash formula (in a good way, which will require lots and lots of testing). I don't know, maybe a 3D fighter, somehow? I think it was mentioned in one of the Iwata Asks interviews. Anyway, I slightly agree, but if there is going to be a Smash 4, it probably won't be Smash as we know it right now.
Then it wouldn't be Smash now would it? :D

If they were to make a brand new smash game, then they would have no choice but to try a different approach...

Because Brawl basically incorporated everything you can possibly do as far as 2D fighters go.

However, if they were to STRAY from that formula that got Smash famous in the first place...

Then it wouldn't really be Smash anymore.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what you said, however I believe that SSB4 has a very good chance at being made, just not for a long, long time. Brawl is going to have a very long life span, the online play can only extend that even more. I would say not to expect SSB4 until the next gen is made.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
But they could call it Smash Bros.! :)

Smash is all about kicking butt with Nintendo (and then some) characters. If they found a different way to do that (whether we like it or not), they'd probably call it Smash.

Majora_X

Smash Cadet
Tl; read anyways. :(

In summation:

Brawl has too much stuff, Nintendo is too lazy to try and top it.

LavisFiend said:
There is really not much Smash 4 could DO that can top what we have already with Brawl. The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl. It wouldn't be a different game because it would be far too risky to try and remove certain things and add others into Smash 4 to create a new game. With how thorough Sora was in creating Brawl, we have modes out the rear. They couldn't add an online mode. We have that. They couldn't add a story mode, we have that. What the crap could you do with the music that Brawl HASN'T done?
Whatever. More characters, more stages, a more detailed story mode.
Brawl is just an upgrade from Melee.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Lol, he also said in Iwata Asks "I can't rate a game that is barely in it's 3rd outing!". Or something along those lines. That right there could be a sequel indicator. =P Also, You think this is the final smash game with 3 landmasters? I don't think so. xD

Arteen

Smash Lord
Regardless of basically all of your points, there could easily be a SSB for the DS. That would be awesome.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
great post...

but i'd just like to point out that MOTHER3 had 250 tracks... so your whole music argument is slightly but not significantly hindered. brawl still has pretty much the most unprecedented amount of tracks, it's just it's not the only one with a ton of tracks.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
A few questions:

1] Where have you found $75 plane tickets? You can't buy a beer on most flights for $75.
2] Do you own the game? Because the "WHOLE BIG SINGLE PLAYER ADVENTURE" isn't the bargain people claim. It only takes about 7 hours to beat, and it's shallow as all hell.

With that said, I like the idea of Smash 4 being this one with a few engine tweaks, a few new characters, and all of this sticker/coin launcher/SSE crap being taken out in favor of alt. outfits. Thassall.

1] I know a guy. :D

2]It dosen't matter how shallow a person perceives it, the work put into the mode is still admirable enough to give warrant for it's shallow gameplay. Remember now, that Smash is a fighting game, and to have that OPTION of having an adventure mode is still a very great thing to have. Oh, and of course, that it only adds to the game, and does not take away from the actual game people liked. =P

Dude, I just want them to give me downloadable events, IDC about anything else. XD

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
If anything, it's a true sequel to ssb64 than it is to melee, seeing as individual character gravity is all but removed. =]

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Honestly, this just may be Sakurai's last SSB game... most likely actually.

But who's to say about Miyamoto? Miyamoto is ALL for making sequels to very successful franchises. Heck, he's already talking about making a Zelda sequel, and is very interested in a Super Mario Galaxy sequel. With Brawl as such a gigantic selling point for Nintendo, a wonderful way for advertising other Nintendo games, and a very popular series to Nintendo fans, I honestly doubt this is the last one. SOMEONE will fill the shoes to keep this show on the road, with all the world-wide praise this game is getting, perfect scores, and the likes.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'd say if DLC is a possibility, then we very well won't see another Smash Bros game. We know the game can expand as far as stages go, why let the characters remain stagnant. It's already been proven that character downloads are not out of the Wii's capabilities.

But even Sakurai and Iwata said that the game was designed to be the last of it's kind, and also said the same thing about Melee. Because of that, I don't think the "made to be the last" is really what would prevent it from happening.

Heck, Iwata even said that Nintendo would have taken Melee, added Wifi, and released it as a new game for Wii. Who knows if Nintendo would keep that in mind and make a Smash 4 that acts as an expansion, a few new characters and pre-built stages, maybe even some additions to the stage builder for more complexity.

Anyway, I agree with your points, it's hard to "Top Brawl" in terms of creating a new game. But... I am not really sure if Nintendo will let that stand in their way.

Edit: SAY NO TO 3D FIGHTER SMASH BROS.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Lol, he also said in Iwata Asks "I can't rate a game that is barely in it's 3rd outing!". Or something along those lines. That right there could be a sequel indicator. =P Also, You think this is the final smash game with 3 landmasters? I don't think so. xD
When I say there will be no Smash 4, I am basically implying that a brand new, from the ground up smash is highly unlikely due to what Brawl has accomplished.

Smash 4, if there is one, would be an "upgrade."

and I will not rest until I have 7 landmasters. =O

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I pretty much agree with everything being said.
While Nintendo certainly would not want to shelf the series if this title makes them truckloads of money, I believe Iwata said himself that he would not have been able to make a full-fledged sequel to the Smash series without Sakurai -- that's why he called him in for Brawl. With Sakurai now working freelance, it seems unlikely that a new Smash game will include him.
The most we can hope for in a new Smash game following Brawl is at most Brawl 2.0. And even then, don't expect it to release for at least half a decade.

The moral of the story: don't let hopes for Smash Bros 4 cloud your vision of Brawl before you.

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
Melee was THE highest selling GameCube game, and was at the top of Nintendo's sales charts throughout the console's lifespan. If Brawl is the same way, there is no way they won't make a successor on the next console. In its current form, Nintendo loves money. This franchise is their WoW. They won't kill this series until it stops selling. It won't be Sakurai headed, but it'll come out.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I admit I only glanced

Stupid topic, there is going to be a smash bros 4, this series is too successful not to have another one. Also brawl isn't perfect, it's far from perfect.

There could be better balance in characters, yoshi sucks, ganon sucks.
There could have been a bigger and better roster.
There could have been more stages. Stage creator is limited, and never will be as good as professional stages.
There could be better graphics.
There could be better sound.
There could be MUCH better online play.
There could be more items.
There could be a better single player mode.
Brawl has glitches.
There could be more game modes.

Really, your flashing your ignorance by making this topic.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
i think Smash 4 will consist of basically an upgrade of Brawl as well.

It will probably have either an SSE sequel, or an entirely new game, then the new characters added to multiplayer. Everything else will probably stay the same.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
When I say there will be no Smash 4, I am basically implying that a brand new, from the ground up smash is highly unlikely due to what Brawl has accomplished.

Smash 4, if there is one, would be an "upgrade."

and I will not rest until I have 7 landmasters. =O
15 landmasters or the deal is off =|

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
sales+money= sequal

remember that formula when you question a 4th.

MrTwoVideoCards

Smash Rookie
It's very likely they might make another one, but don't forget guys, SSBB was never supposed to come out, nor was it really a title announced, due to Sakurai's leaving HAL. There will most likely be other titles from Sora, thats for sure. However, SSB4 is still to be determined, so dont put any hopes up too soon.

xigon

Smash Apprentice
You're completely right but as i look at shadydentist post, i think like this:

1 Game + Many Fans = Succes
Succes = Money
Human happyness = money = life
But if, No more money = no more happyness
Wanting of happyness = More wanting
More wanting = Wanting of money
Wanting of money = Make another Game to get the money

It means that as long as brawl makes money, There will be more games. But i was really looking forward to a Internet-Upgrade, such as downloading something from internet and have a exclusif brawl thing. The next smash doesn't need to exist tomorrow, it could be 5 to 15 years later. As long as brawl has its packed fun, the fun never stops...

But as I say and as its supposed to be:

Everything that has a begining, must have an end.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Good points. Although, they could feasibly remove some aspects that weren't well received by the fans (some say 600 Stickers is a waste if you can't use them outside of Subspace), and add new things instead.

Although, saying that SSB4 will be a rehashed, new and improved Brawl is quite likely at this point.

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with you on a few things.

It is actually MORE likely that the next SSB game will be "from the ground up" since Sakurai won't be involved. It will be a new lead developer who will want to do his own things with the game. This of course assumes that a new game will be created at all, and I think this is a safe assumption (based on the fact that Nintendo will not kill a franchise that has such global appeal until they have milked every last dollar out of it possible).

What you said about game balance I don't think applies. Look at SSBM...from a balance standpoint the game was a disaster since only ~5 of the characters ended up being tournament viable. Yet the game is hugely successful. They could add a whole bunch of characters to the next game and they would be hard pressed to do worse from a balance standpoint. These extra characters would attract the huge majority of casual players and drastically increase sales.

Also...not to sound rude, but just because you think that SSBB has everything a game could possibly have doesn't mean this it's true. The realm of design is almost infinite to those with creative minds like game designers. SSBB has a lot, but it is a far cry away from being the end all be all (and so is every other video game in existence for that matter).

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
As for smash brothers 4 being a 'new game' or not we don't really know. Not many of us have even played brawl. In fact i'm sure we'll start seeing even more flaws in the game once we actually get it. End result, not much is perfect in this world, nearly everything can be improved or changed.

Top Bottom