• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why there will be no Super Smash Bros. 4....

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Tl;DR

But seriously, they are going to make a 4. The game sold 1million copies in 11 days. Melee sold 6million thoughout it's life. Not just on a few months but for most of the gamecubes life. Brawl has legs. This is why Nintendo will probably mack another one. The money is good.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
There is one thing Sakurai didn't think of.

Classic Co-op.

So there should definitely be a SSB4. SSB isn't complete without Classic Co-op.

Plus, there are a dozen of areas unexplored. For example, Landmaster battles.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing I thought of during my lunch break: downloadable content. People clamored for online play after Melee and now people are clamoring for DLC in the next game.

What about customizable characters? Suppose their was an option where you could switch Kirby's hammer (B smash) for the Ninja blade or bombs, for example? DK's punch for the coconut cannon? That would open a lot of doors especially if those options were unlockable.

What about online co-op play for Adventure mode? What about a ranking system? What about online tournaments? The ability to "mix" final smashes? A event creator? Unlockable ALTs?

As you can see, there's a lot of things they haven't tapped into yet.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I agree with absolutely and everything here, as well as none of the above. Why? Because I like paradoxes!! But seriously, I don't see how SSB4 can be a revolution like Brawl is but I can see how it can become another revolution. ;)

I concur. This is indeed our Smash 4 really. Why? Because nothing new can really be added to make the Smash game franchise really become an entirely new game. The only ways I can see it is if they decide to do what other fighting games have and those are: (1) a Create-A-Character mode; (2) a costume/accessory mode where we can unlock new attires and additional jewerly and hats to give to characters; and (3) a completely solid RPG adventure sidescroller.

Topic 1:

But these are not likely. Why you ask? Simple really. They would corrupt the familiar and unique feel we have with our favorite franchise. Those implications would be cool, but making our own new characters, and new costumes is not what Smash Bros. is about. Smash Bros. is playing as the characters we have come to love, thanks to the staff who work or are associated with Nintendo. Even though we have color swaps, we are still playing classic characters of Nintendo history. Making brand new characters with movelists we choose is kind of...what's the right word...unbalanced and all so gaudy. Leave that in the fighting games on Sony.
But then again, it would prove a milestone with what we can indeed do to fit our liking, such as choosing the speed and power of the characters we mold, as well as what weaknesses we do want them to have. We can choose what type of fighter they are, such as if we want a ranged killer or a full fist user or even possibly something in the middle. We can choose if we want these custom characters to use shields for defending, as well as weapons, or if we want them to have special abilities like shoot ice out of nowhere or possible bursts of fire. We might even want these ones we make to be based on a particular theme such as magic user, a sword paladin, an intergalactic racer, a bounty hunter, a musical elf, or even a human hero. Heck, we might also want to play as a particular gender, just because we can do that and we want to play as that gender. The options are in the air. As you can see, its not easy creating a custom creator, but this would definitely shift the tides of how balance and consistency works with our favorite franchise.

Topic 2:

In addition, we have our Stage Creator. Although the people who developed this game made around 41 stages, we have been given the opportunity to play more than that. Nintendo has developed a program for us gamers not to really pay more money to go play outside our comfort zones. By having new stages everyday and also online, nothing can get tedious and tiresome. Something exciting means there is no reason why we really want a new Smash, since every time we turn on the game each day, we aren't going to see the same exact thing. Something fresh is always upon us every stroke of the midnight hour (or morning or whatever time Nintendo decides as its official time to change the global settings of Brawl).
But then again, this concept won't seem new because all we are really getting is how to use a few given parts to incorporate into a new stage. Nothing new. Just a new display and/or a new condition. But thats about it. People, because its our nature, are greedy for more. So we look to manifest destiny and want even more things to be added to our play, whether its weather effects or monsters that come at some particular time to come get our foes (and ourselves if we aren't careful) away or even more gimmicks I can't say right now. The shift of this mode is cool, but how it become an upset, a great change, a revolution. All I see is an upgrade, but then again, I'm not a programmer and I can't think of a full extent as to what can be put into a single match.

Topic 3:

Moreover, I do want more characters, but programming new characters isn't easy. Even with the amount of staff that worked on Brawl, we only got 39 playables. The key word here is indeed balance, because not one character is greater than another on some extent. Each one has its strengths and its weaknesses. Only us players made tier lists, because we like making fun of others who play the lesser "popular" characters and we like playing with the "best of the best." If Nintendo is keeping this game alive, then it will indeed work on downloadable content to be transfered online. After all, so many characters aren't put as assists and playables. It wouldn't be much surprising in a few years, when people get kind of tired playing with the 39 characters Sakurai and his team made, there might be new ones to be added for fun. Heck, that character selection screen can be moved around even more, and of course be zoomed out if Sakurai was smart enough to put that code into the finished Brawl product. If not, well...this game sure is balanced, because 39 is indeed a HUGE amount for any multi-fighter game.
But then again, 39. Thats all we are getting?! Well sure, but its a lot considering the options. But if downloadable content was a sure fire, why, new strategies can be explored and playing new characters is cool just because I like them and its sure going to be awesome. But what if assists become playable? How will they work. I guess that means those not in the game already, will never be a playable in Brawl but we can sure look forward to those who make no physical appearance in our matches right now. But how will that deploy? I like it, but I guess we can kiss balance goodbye. But I can play as a character I like!! It all depends on what side you want to take.

Topic 4:

Costumes and accessories? Optional weapons and selectable defense tactics? How will that work? Sounds absolutely wonderful. I can finally play as a character who looks the way I want. But that is still pointless, because they lost the feel of how they were played in their games. They don't look how they were meant to be. The atmosphere will be unusual.
But then again, Pit and the Ice Climbers look different. Why can't I make them how I want? After all, Nintendo characters go through different incarnations. Why can't I choose how I want this character to appear? As you can see, I like it, but I'm scared at it becoming reality, I wonder if I will despise it but then again, I don't have to give what I want to play anything new to utilize. See how this goes on and on?

Topic 5:

OMG!! SSE!! Awesome. How can they top that? Really they can't. Its a full out game of its own, kind of like Soul Calibur Legends, except we still can do brawls and fight opponents. Good money, considering the 10 more we pay for Brawl, ordinarily of course if we didn't want it right on the first day. Anyway, yeah. We can play stories out with grand cinematics and play it like any other game we come across. But if they rewrite the plot, its just recycled material.
But how can you say that. Maybe they will get even more creative and develop a better plot, a revised way of fighting, the ability to select whomever we desire just for a simple part of the adventure? But won't this corrupt balance and the sake to learn how to utilize every character they made? But what if we don't want to play like this and we are selfish and like our own characters to do it all the way? See what I'm saying?!

Topic 6:

More modes and more stickers and more of everything!! But thats cool!! But its still the same idea. I'm going to get over it after I'm done and be satisfied with this and I will soon want more. But it can be incredible and super fresh!! But it will soon be the same tiresome ploy. How about online? But then...

See. Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a complete upset and a new start. Its not an upgrade at all. But what the future holds...well, don't see how it would feel the same with these new plans. But after all, America and Europe's consumers didn't have such a big voice when making Brawl. It can indeed be more futuristic where to the point, we can become the fighters via simulation items. But that would take years!! We can wait!! But then again, we might not!! But how will it truely be unique when all of it is rehashed the same way into a fresh way of being entertained. I guess I don't know. But others like you can decide for yourself. Thank you!! And please don't be drooling after you get to this point. Appreciate it and have a good one!! :D

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I know a few things to add to Brawl:

• LittleBigPlanet (HELL YEAH!) like level editor - it's the future of gaming, face it.
  • Mix-skills for Kirby - everybody wants that.
  • Classic Co-op - can't believe Sakurai missed that.
  • BOARD THE FRIGGEN PLATFORM - yeah, **** the targets is fine, but we want BTT back.
  • MOAR MOAR MOAR content - moar music, moar trophies, moar stickers, moar moar moar!!!
  • Landmaster battle - you know you want it.
  • Every single stage from every SSB game ever - HELL YEAH!
  • DS control - at least it's a step in the direction of a handheld Smash game.
  • SEND IN THE CLONES - Brawl lacked cloned characters, let's double the amount.
  • Full OST - now shipped in six CDs!
  • Shop for a whopper - the amount of SSB-related Photoshops was disappointing.
  • Longer match recording - two minutes recording isn't enough, they should up it to ten hours.
  • Longer adventure mode - even if it was just a hundred times as big it would be enough.
  • A dozen of characters - every character possible in the world should be playable.
  • Even more stages - so that we wouldn't run out of Nintendo-related stages.
  • Custom events - what better then to create your own events?
  • Custom adventures - tie-in with the stage builder.
  • Kreate a Kharacter - every game has one, why not Smash?
  • Graphics that make your TV asplode - or at least one that reaches full capacity.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
^Yeah, I really can't believe there isn't a 2-player Classic Mode. It can't be that difficult to do either, surely?

But, I'm getting the impression that most people don't seem to remember how much persuasion was needed to get the third smash bros. game. I doubt we'll get a fourth.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
But ask yourself this. How are we able to see more data on a small amount of hardware, where we still profit and make customers satisfied? The answer is going to end up a disaster one way or another. If we had a perfect game, our favorite franchise is dead, but if we get a new one that has nothing really added, all we are paying is just a to make cheap knockoff where later on, we will get complaints and get blasted and lose credibility and eventually, we might end up as completely lost in the market to others on the rise or are despotic commercial tyrants. Or will we become like that?

Its a dog-eat-dog world indeed.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm getting sick of people saying that Brawl's fighters are perfectly balanced when that's definately not the case... Case in point: Yoshi. I think this will become more and more obvious as people start to develop hindsight just like with Melee because, right at the moment, people are looking at this game with rose-colored glasses.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
You see, unlike Melee, Brawl is a gigantic game, filled to the brim with content. Content, that is not just filler, but extentions of the overall game. Every inch of that game is playable. You can even play with your trophies now.
You lost me there, dude. Melee was a game with a massive ammount of content for its time. For any time, in fact. The jump from SSB64 to Melee was even bigger than from Melee to Brawl and when it was released, every reviewer was saying that the only way they could possibly do a sequel is if they went into 3-D. But of course, they didn't consider thinks like online and a stage maker.

Nintendo will make another Smash in another six-or-so years for their new console (the Super Wii?). It matters not if you don't think we need another one. Nintendo will make another Smash Bros because they like money. Period.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
I remember in one of his sakarai's interviews he said he was making brawl under the mindset that it would be the last in the series. Im not expecting another smash bros. Especially since it was a huge collaboration between many many different developers.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
First off, just in case no one has already pointed it out, 50-70 is *not* the biggest video soundtrack sans Brawl. Final Fantasy reguarlly hits 100 tracks or more.

In any case, I can't agree with your logic. Your main premise comes down to "There's a stage builder and the gameplay is perfect, therefore the game will last forever." People said the same thing about StarCraft, and yet there's already a StarCraft 2 in full production.

Brawl is not perfect. No video game is. In another decade or so, Nintendo will take the franchise down off the shelf, dust it off, and began to tweak and modify the core gameplay mechanics once again, creating a new Smash Bros. game in the process. It will have a new roster with new characters, new stages, and new features--but it won't just be an "upgrade". It will be the same thing Brawl was to its predessecors: a rehaul.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I remember in one of his sakarai's interviews he said he was making brawl under the mindset that it would be the last in the series. Im not expecting another smash bros. Especially since it was a huge collaboration between many many different developers.
That's because this is his last one but people are under the impression that absolutely no one else can do what Sakurai did as if everyone else at Nintendo is completely stupid and unimaginative. Seriously, the fact that Brawl only used two third parties is proof enough that more help could be dragged on board in the development department.

@ the above:

Somebody get this guy a beer, he nailed it dead on.

PoopLoop4

Smash Cadet
I agree, except I thought of something that could make SSB4 worth it, a fully 3D adventure, not like SSE but like legend of Zelda, Mario games ect. that er actualy "free roam" adventures, now that would be a good step for adventure, and then have the good ol VS mode stay the same, with a few upgrades, and then give up 50-60 characters that are balenced, and only 5 clones.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
But ask yourself how it will still have the feel as the original? How will we not make this game just literally a mash up? How do make this game an overhaul, without trucking it over the edge?

I guess we are willing to plunge into the sea and hopefully swim in order to get to play a more advanced version of the predecessor. But how will Nintendo take this? Will it kill its game with no continuation or by continuation until its completely an utter black hole of chaos.

Super Smash Brothers 3, ala Brawl, was made accidentally. But it doesn't always have to have Sakurai as its visionary. That way, something fresh will come about from new direction. But who will take the challenge? Who will be part of the team? How do we make something a completely new experience without making it seem pointless except we wanted small addditions and a revised ploy so it seems fresh in our minds for a while before it does indeed become tiresome.

Nintendo wants money. Thats about it. We can surely bet on a SSB4, but what about after that. I guess we'll never know, just like how many licks there are to the center of a chocolate tootsie pop!! The world will never know!! But hey, there will be a SSB4 since Nintendo has history to use from its closet, and its still active right now, meaning more history is going to be made and be put. I can see this going on and on like a little insignia I know as a sideways 8, also known as infinity.

Mama

Smash Ace
First off, just in case no one has already pointed it out, 50-70 is *not* the biggest video soundtrack sans Brawl. Final Fantasy reguarlly hits 100 tracks or more.

In any case, I can't agree with your logic. Your main premise comes down to "There's a stage builder and the gameplay is perfect, therefore the game will last forever." People said the same thing about StarCraft, and yet there's already a StarCraft 2 in full production.

Brawl is not perfect. No video game is. In another decade or so, Nintendo will take the franchise down off the shelf, dust it off, and began to tweak and modify the core gameplay mechanics once again, creating a new Smash Bros. game in the process. It will have a new roster with new characters, new stages, and new features--but it won't just be an "upgrade". It will be the same thing Brawl was to its predessecors: a rehaul.
People also said the same thing about Melee. It was perfect yadda yadda yadda. Nintendo will never let cash cows die plain and simple. Even if Sakurai doesn't want to make another, as I said before, he's got under studies and other people who can make the game just as well if not better. I'm not a fan of Sakurai. I'm a fan of Smash. And as long as they make Smash well then I'll be happy.

PoopLoop4

Smash Cadet
But ask yourself how it will still have the feel as the original? How will we not make this game just literally a mash up? How do make this game an overhaul, without trucking it over the edge?

I guess we are willing to plunge into the sea and hopefully swim in order to get to play a more advanced version of the predecessor. But how will Nintendo take this? Will it kill its game with no continuation or by continuation until its completely an utter black hole of chaos.

Super Smash Brothers 3, ala Brawl, was made accidentally. But it doesn't always have to have Sakurai as its visionary. That way, something fresh will come about from new direction. But who will take the challenge? Who will be part of the team? How do we make something a completely new experience without making it seem pointless except we wanted small addditions and a revised ploy.
Midway?:p:psycho:

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
People also said the same thing about Melee. It was perfect yadda yadda yadda. Nintendo will never let cash cows die plain and simple. Even if Sakurai doesn't want to make another, as I said before, he's got under studies and other people who can make the game just as well if not better. I'm not a fan of Sakurai. I'm a fan of Smash. And as long as they make Smash well then I'll be happy.
I agree. Sakurai deserves recognition, but people can become outdated like old video games. That is when we have new people coming in and taking charge so our favorite franchise doesn't die. Hey, if people stopped with Albert Einstein as the last great genius, we would all die sooner or later in part since we didn't know they were such things as dark matter and black holes and global warming. See how the world goes around and my head at this very loopy minute?~!

Krimtcw

Smash Rookie
As long as a series is making money depending on the developer, it will have a another game to follow it... and considering Smash is a fighting game (easy to make a continuation for) and is made by Nintendo it will have another to follow brawl... It just might take a Generation... or maybe even two. If you need proof look at Nintendo's big titles. Changes here and there but still expected to come out with another one later in its life, smash will be no different.

The only thing is, it might not bring the same to the table that brawl does... Guess what every game that is in the works that is a continuation of another game has that risk, but if the original made money a continuation will be made.

You want to go by your logic, brawl was suppose to be melee 2.0 with online and a few more characters... But instead they got the person they wanted to work on it and it turned out to what it is now. Regardless though if they didn't and a melee 2.0 would of been released its still Smash 3 any way you look at it.

Things can always be improved upon, there is no such thing as perfect. Just because it looks perfect doesnt mean it is perfect, with time new ways and ideas will be brought along to add on to a so called "perfect" setup to make it better. Guess what Smash 4 will take... Thats right... Time.

It might be made by a very similar team even down to Sakarai running it, or Sakarai could keep an eye on it and not be as involved as he was while it being handed down to someone else to run it, kinda like you know Zelda. Or it could start with someone completely new from scratch, who knows any of these ways could be good, only time will tell though.

Theres only a couple of ways your not going to see a Smash 4, and they are if Nintendo goes out of business, Nintendo goes completely casual gaming (which means a whole bunch of their titles that would be a part of smash anyways would be gone), or if Nintendo stops making video games all together... Personally I don't see either of those happening, do you?

Basically there will be a smash 4, things will more than likely be added, even things most people never even thought of, the only real question is will it be able to become just as good of a game if not better. But even if it does end up sucking, a smash is still a smash and it will be smash 4.

Short version:
Nintendo loves money...Smash makes Nintendo money...Expect Smash 4 in a console generation or 2.... Unless Nintendo become completely casual, goes out of business, or stops making video games... Even if smash 4 does end up sucking, being basically the same game, good or even great, it will still be smash 4.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
A good and true read, despite how we want a Smash 4.

As thye said in 1up, "They're saying this is the last one which makes sense, because how can you truely top this?"
Ohh, I could top it easily...

And Nintendo won't let one of there highest selling franchises die, look at what they've done to Mario Party. It will continue and only get batter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Super Smash Brothers 3, ala Brawl, was made accidentally. But it doesn't always have to have Sakurai as its visionary. That way, something fresh will come about from new direction. But who will take the challenge? Who will be part of the team? How do we make something a completely new experience without making it seem pointless except we wanted small addditions and a revised ploy.
My God, you are such a drama queen... I think I actually felt my stomach do a sommersault while reading the second paragraph. Also, under your logic, Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time were abominations because they strayed so far from the basic concept of 2D gameplay. Even with the major changes they had, both titles could still be identified as Mario/Zelda games. I can't imagine SSB4 being any different.

Also Smash Bros won't become a "utter black hole of chaos" because it's a once every generation affair and not milked to death. *points a giant foam finger at Sonic* Another question to ask yourself is who cares if the next SSB is just more/different content? Was the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess given the finger for using most of the same concepts as OoT? Did Super Mario Galaxy recieve a ton of backlash for being so similar to Super Mario 64? Don't even get me started on the minor changes between Pokemon and Fire Emblem games... Why does SSB4 absolutely have the blow the pants off of everything in Brawl? People are already admitting that there are some things about Melee that are better then in Brawl and there are even people that acknowledge that Melee screwed up some things that the original got right.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Oh. And now I'M getting flame. Hello. If you didn't read the two paragraphs, don't read it. I made it look at one side and I also had a take on the other. So don't go get up on me just because I was able to write that much in just a limited amount of time I had. Period and dot, dot, dot. Goodbye to that and hello new reply. XD

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
I agree with what you said.

Actually, it annoys me that people are talking about Smash 4 right now when they haven't even *played* Smash Brawl. I could understand if they were talking about a possible Smash 4 a few *years* down the road...but right now? When it hasn't even been released in the U.S. yet? C'mon guys, be content with what we do have! Personally, I'm just looking forward to *playing Brawl,* not to a new release.

But yeah, I agree. There's not really much more they can do to make Smash a different game: Brawl was the Smash to end all Smashes, and so far (as far as I can tell, having not played it yet) it looks like it's going to do it's job well.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Exactly like "Blooagga" said. Make more, make more lol. Pretty simple. I know there is going to be an SSB4, I just wonder how that will be a complete revolution and not just an upgrade. But knowing Nintendo, they will indeed be making it completely and utterly anew and fresh. Beside, lmao, this thread will eventually die. All good things must come to an abrupt end. XD

But that's why we make more threads, just like Nintendo makes more sequels lol. XD

Wow, I hate thinking like this. I haven't thought so much since finals, but those were cake compared to all this logic I'm doing. I've gone mad from typing while thinking while trying to think what to say. #XD

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh. And now I'M getting flame. Hello. If you didn't read the two paragraphs, don't read it. I made it look at one side and I also had a take on the other. So don't go get up on me just because I was able to write that much in just a limited amount of time I had. Period and dot, dot, dot. Goodbye to that and hello new reply. XD
You have to admit, the second paragraph in that post was definately over-the-top.

Regardless, I don't think it really has to be a revolution simply because Melee really wasn't to the original and Brawl wasn't for Melee. Really, when it comes down to it, each installment had pretty just added more content while the basic concepts stayed the same.

Melee-event mode, stadium modes, adventure mode, new vs modes, trophies, better music, more items, more characters, better graphics, more pokemon, new techniques, etc

Brawl- *insert the above here*, online modes, stickers, game demos, full blown cutscenes, extended adventure mode, etc

It seems belittling but in the reality of things it really isn't. As forementioned, SSB4 will more then likely repeat this trend and neither Melee or Brawl are a revolutionary as people think.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So you're not saying there won't be a Smash 4. You're saying there won't be a unique Smash 4.

I actually agree with this, although I think they may alter the story slightly, and maybe remove some characters as well. They'll also hopefully realize that, no matter who is playing, tripping is not fun and take it out. Bleh.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Rules of Business:
You make something that people like
You make more

nuff said
That works as a general rule, but Smash is an exception. Check out what Sakurai said:

Sakurai:
"I strongly believe that Super Smash Bros. Brawl owes its development to the efforts of the numerous individuals who were at the right place and the right time. What I’m trying to say is that it is truly the product of these myriad,almost fateful associations. I want players to enjoy this game as one whose development would have been impossible under any other circumstances. And not as a mere continuation of the series, but as a game that couldn’t have been made anywhere else under any other conditions. The appeal of Smash Bros. lies in the fact that it offers ever-changing entertainment born of chance and player improvisation, and it’s my sincere hope that players enjoy these features of the game."
(quoted from http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol7_page3.jsp)

Sakurai is saying that all the things that came together to make this game even possible were by some really huge conincidences. If you think all of the things listed above are likely to happen again, but in a bigger way (because SSB4 would have to be better than SSBB), then you're hoping for too much. SSBB is the last installment in the series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That works as a general rule, but Smash is an exception. Check out what Sakurai said:

Sakurai:
"I strongly believe that Super Smash Bros. Brawl owes its development to the efforts of the numerous individuals who were at the right place and the right time. What I’m trying to say is that it is truly the product of these myriad,almost fateful associations. I want players to enjoy this game as one whose development would have been impossible under any other circumstances. And not as a mere continuation of the series, but as a game that couldn’t have been made anywhere else under any other conditions. The appeal of Smash Bros. lies in the fact that it offers ever-changing entertainment born of chance and player improvisation, and it’s my sincere hope that players enjoy these features of the game."
(quoted from http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol7_page3.jsp)

Sakurai is saying that all the things that came together to make this game even possible were by some really huge conincidences. If you think all of the things listed above are likely to happen again, but in a bigger way (because SSB4 would have to be better than SSBB), then you're hoping for too much. SSBB is the last installment in the series.
I think we all know by now that Sakurai absolutely loves to exaggerate and overstate things. There's also the fact that he talked this way about Melee as well so...

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I disagree completely, I'm afraid.

Just look around SWF. This forum is brimming with ideas that haven't been included.

This is the exact opposite opinion a lot of people have, that Brawl is Melee 2.0, which I disagree with. This is nonsense.

Machete

Smash Ace
I think will get a new Smash, however, it won't be as innovative as Brawl.

We'll get new characters, improved graphics, new items, new stages, an improved online, and new trophies. An improved stage builder is a must, and a better story mode.

But that's all.

Although... really... new characters and stages is all you need for make a Smasher happy.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Remember how annoyed people were when the only new characters were ROB and Wolf?

smash 4 will instantly solve that

They've been making zelda games for ages, but twilight princess recieved the most negativity because the premise IS getting stale. Smash has a long way to go before it reaches that point

Soul calibur is on it's 5th game now also.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think will get a new Smash, however, it won't be as innovative as Brawl.

We'll get new characters, improved graphics, new items, new stages, an improved online, and new trophies. An improved stage builder is a must, and a better story mode.

But that's all.

Although... really... new characters and stages is all you need for make a Smasher happy.
In the reality of things, Brawl really isn't that innovative itself and merely added on to the strong base that was established in it's two predeccessors.

Also, the line I bolded pretty much sums out how most people will react to the next Smash Bros game. Seriously, it be the exact same as Brawl except with 8-10 completely new and unique characters and most people would be thrilled (unless they all had Landmasters, that is :laugh:).

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Lavisfiend -

that may be all true but to be honest they really should have gone all out in melee but they didnt due to time constraints.

AND did you know we were not intended to have smash on the wii But when nintendo asked the fans for their requested line up at e3 they all said smash brothers.

So it really comes down to the fans. If we want smash we will get smash. in some form or another. remember how ppl where like "I want smash on the ds" and then here comes jump super stars @_@

ALSO... nintendo is a gaming company, they want to make MONEYS! Smash = MONEYS

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
What good is it to make a really long reply and then get almost no responses related to that and it gets rammed over by completely new opinions? Nothing really. And then everyone ends up quoting the person who made such a shorter reply after mine. What a waste of my time. Complete and utter depression taking over...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
What good is it to make a really long reply and then get almost no responses related to that and it gets rammed over by completely new opinions? Nothing really. And then everyone ends up quoting the person who made such a shorter reply after mine. What a waste of my time. Complete and utter depression taking over...
That's to be expected when there isn't really a discussion going on.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
there likly will be a SSB4, because the SSB series is extremely popular, although I am not sure what they are going to do without Sakuria

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
*I have a lot to say. If you are going to come in here and flash your ignorance by not reading the post and flooding my thread with TL;DR, then I would think twice. You have no idea how quick you imprint yourself as a ****** in many peoples minds when you post something so idiotic and childish. With that said, don't waste my time and your own, and just stay out of the thread if you have no intentions of reading.*

I believe the thought of a Smash Bros 4 is unlikely, but for a different reason.

You see, unlike Melee, Brawl is a gigantic game, filled to the brim with content. Content, that is not just filler, but extentions of the overall game. Every inch of that game is playable. You can even play with your trophies now.

The overall content has increased in what Melee had, and added things that melee did NOT have. You can see that with the final package, that so much work and so much stuff was added, that it was almost as if they wanted you to stay busy for a really long time. Brawl guarantees a brand new experience every time you boot up your system, but how are they able to do this?

New levels and brand new opponents. All without the hassle of spending a penny. You don't have to pay for a plane ticket to face other talented players anymore, you can face them from the comfort of your own home. Lag is a variable, but every good thing comes with a bad. It is a balance in deeds as I like to call it. Look at the bright side; a little slowdown in comparison to a 75$ plane ticket? Your choice.

Sakurai has prepared for us a fine assortment of quirky levels as well as visual splendors, a selection that has shown the labors of Sora LTD. quite nicely. The list however might say 40+ levels.... but Brawl is easily capable of THOUSANDS! How IS this? User created levels. This feature ALONE guarentees a new thing EV-ER-Y day for smash fans to sink their teeth into.

Smash also set a record with Brawl. 300+ songs. No game in the history of forever has ever acheived such a milestone. The most a game has ever had is around 50-70 tracks. Didn't even BREAK triple digits...

Brawl did. Thrice.

Let's not forget the fact that we actually have TWO games going on. The side-scroller adventure that is SSE, and of course, the BRAWL modes. A fighting game AND an adventure game, bundled into one disc.

We also could never forget the fact that we have 35 combatants; a great many of which who are new faces. The metagame has reverted to zero, and in it's place, lies a completely untouched metagame. It took people a couple of years to tear into Melee and turn it into a pro friendly, competetive-worthy title, but it HAPPENED, and with Brawl being a completely new game, it gives people something to work for.

What we have here, right now, and currently, is a VERY good and well-crafted game. Easily one of the best. Hell, for it's acheivements, it can be considered THE best as far as 2D fighters go.

....Yet people desire a Smash Bros. 4. My question is simply this....

Why? Also, How?

You can't get much better than what Brawl has set out, no matter how many characters you add, how many levels you add, etc. Something has to break; and something will grow old and stale. Brawl was created as if it were the last one to exist, and I believe that this was important to take note of, not because of how well the end product shaped up, but with what this means for the Smash franchise.

There is really not much Smash 4 could DO that can top what we have already with Brawl. The only thing Smash 4 COULD do is add things to the pool. What I am basically saying is that Smash 4 would essentially be an upgrade to Brawl. It wouldn't be a different game because it would be far too risky to try and remove certain things and add others into Smash 4 to create a new game. With how thorough Sora was in creating Brawl, we have modes out the rear. They couldn't add an online mode. We have that. They couldn't add a story mode, we have that. What the crap could you do with the music that Brawl HASN'T done?

So to reiterate, Smash 4 only serves as an upgrade. It would be entirely too risky to tamper with the good things we have to give us more.

Back to the "something has to break" point. People want more and more characters, but what people don't want is imbalance. You are basically asking for everything, as you can't have BOTH without tipping in the favor of another thing. Sure, we can have TONS of characters, but the balance pool that characters share would begin to trickle out as more and more characters are added into the mix. Brick upon brick of code drowning out previous code, and eventually? We would lose A LOT of balance. Please remember that no one character undergoes the same amount of development time. With each new character added is a few more days of balancing to adjust that new character with the growing number of characters already available.

Basically? If you are last, you will take the longest time. People seem to ignore this point over and over again. Why? Denial perhaps.

Brawl will be the final Smash game, but the most common question I hear is, "WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM FIEND LOL?"

Brawl will be remade for that system, more or less, but this time, they will just add to the game by introducing a few new characters here and there.

but to start from the ground up to build a brand NEW smash? Unreasonable and completely silly to believe.

There is always the possibility that in a few years after Brawl has sold well and people are comfortable playing, that Nintendo will give us some downloadable things here or there, but it is not a certainty.

So in conclusion, you want a Smash 4?

....Well....you are looking at your Smash 4.
Quoted for truth. People will chew you up as much as they want, but deep inside they know it's true.

Top Bottom