• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Will You Play First When You Buy SSB4?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'd probably play Megaman first and then Villager. Then I'd play through the other 4 newcomers. Then I'd start working on my skills for Charizard, Lucario, and Pit.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Pit was a character I considered maining in Brawl and PM, but im both he just wasn't right for me. With the seemingly big overhaul his moveset and properties are getting, I have renewed interest in him. Definitely my go-to for first pick.

After that I'll probably try out Charizard, Megaman and Rozalina. Then with those 3 out of the way, Random.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
Mario. He's actually one of my mains in every single Smash. So it'd be him I guess.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
When was Pokemon Trainer a staple to the series?
And when was Jigglypuff cut?
Pkmn Trainer's a staple of the Pokemon series, and Ivysaur was 10 times interesting that charizard could ever dream to be.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Pkmn Trainer's a staple of the Pokemon series, and Ivysaur was 10 times interesting that charizard could ever dream to be.
But he wasn't a staple to Smash. And since Pokemon couldn't have a rep overload, only one could make it with Sakurai's new character thing, so the most popular made it. And Jigglypuff was never cut.

waichingliu81

Smash Cadet
Samus followed by Wii fit trainer, zero suit Samus and either greninja or lucario. If toad, bowser Jr, palutena or any of the other fire emblem characters besides like gets in, then it will be Samus, WFT, ZSS then toad, bowser Jr, palutena, lucina in that order. But Lucina's chances are slim.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
As with Brawl, I'll start with Sheik or Marth. If they're unlockable, then I'll start with Link or Kirby.

Newcomers will be Villager and Greninja.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Uh, cause he is a new character of course.

Well I just see it happening cause of the way Sakurai feels about spoilers. He is not putting a SSE like single player cause they will justspecial end up on youtube and nothing will be special or a surprise. So I feel he will do the same thing for the characters. Internet spoils everything, so why make anything special. Besides, what makes a character special to unlock vs starter?
Because watching a video is the reward in that case. The reward for unlocking a character is using the character. Can't use a character you looked up.

Khao

Smash Lord
For tradition's sake, I'll play as Link first.

Then it's straight to Mega Man.

If Mega Man's not an unlockable, then just any other newcomer, I have my eyes set on Little Mac.

Then it's trying every single character in the game in any order. I might just let Random decide for me until I get too many repeats.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Because watching a video is the reward in that case. The reward for unlocking a character is using the character. Can't use a character you looked up.
Can't use it, but you lose the surprise which is the only reason for being a unlockable and trust me, all of us desire to know the whole roster, so you can't resist not knowing. Unlockables are pointless at this point IMO, Unlockables are to surprise you only in my eyesz I agree with sakurai on subspace emis.

Might as well give us the whole roster in the beginning cuz working for character that you already know that's in the game is pointless.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Not so sure right now but based on my past first-picks:
SSB64: Yoshi because I was a little kid that loved Yoshis.
SSBM: Bowser because he looked the most badass and powerful of the newcomers.
SSBB: Bowser because I wanted to start making it a tradition (and Sonic is unlockable, otherwise I would have gone with him).

So, chances are Im going with Bowser again since I love the new look based on the Mario games instead of the nail-skating godzilla. Unless we get another cool enough newcomer to make me change tradition (Dillon would). One thing is certain, Im playing my first match with my two brothers and we are gonna party like its 1999.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Promised a fight with my bro where we each pick a newcomer and verse each other with no knowldge of how to play either. Otherwise it would and always be Link.
Current newcomers I think i would go with Greninja

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well my Bro and I are going to play all characters, but we'll start at opposite ends of the roster, and work our way toward each other. We'll write down all the characters that we liked, then experiment some more.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Mega Man because I've wanted him in the game since Brawl was announced so I am very excited to play him.

Mega Man -> Rosalina -> Mac -> Wii Fit Trainer -> Greninja -> Villager -> My mains -> everybody else

This may change depending on what newcomers are announced before release

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Can't use it, but you lose the surprise which is the only reason for being a unlockable and trust me, all of us desire to know the whole roster, so you can't resist not knowing. Unlockables are pointless at this point IMO, Unlockables are to surprise you only in my eyesz I agree with sakurai on subspace emis.

Might as well give us the whole roster in the beginning cuz working for character that you already know that's in the game is pointless.
Then why did Sakurai bother making Luigi, Snake, and Sonic unlockables in Brawl? There's like seven unlockable characters in the intro even, and SSE shows you Luigi and lets you play as Ness before actually unlocking them at the end.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
what i find wierd is lucas was playable before ness was.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Then why did Sakurai bother making Luigi, Snake, and Sonic unlockables in Brawl? There's like seven unlockable characters in the intro even, and SSE shows you Luigi and lets you play as Ness before actually unlocking them at the end.
to have motivation to complete SSE, there's gotta be some sort of reward for accomplishing a mission.

Since there is no SSE and we have "GLOBAL SMASH POWER" for solo play. I find Unlockables pointless IMO.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
to have motivation to complete SSE, there's gotta be some sort of reward for accomplishing a mission.

Since there is no SSE and we have "GLOBAL SMASH POWER" for solo play. I find Unlockables pointless IMO.
That's what the cutscenes were for... And unlockables in general are confirmed with trophies.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
That's what the cutscenes were for... And unlockables in general are confirmed with trophies.
look some people would skip the story, and sakurai does not want that.....SO?

You force them to play your Story mode by making characters locked in SSE.

There are some people that just wanted to play the characters in Brawl and forget about SSE story mode.

That's the way I see it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
look some people would skip the story, and sakurai does not want that.....SO?

You force them to play your Story mode by making characters locked in SSE.

There are some people that just wanted to play the characters in Brawl and forget about SSE story mode.

That's the way I see it.
They weren't locked exclusively by SSE though, everybody had two unlock requirements (besides TL, Wolf and Jigglypuff which had one) that could be met without SSE.

Didn't Sakurai get rid of the cutscenes in the first place because people would look up the reward instead of earning it? And look at Kid Icarus. Almost all the weapons and powers had to be unlocked and then obtained, and yet we saw alot of those unlockables beforethe game came out. The power Super Speed was one of the first shown, but can't be unlocked until after beating the final boss.

D

Deleted member

Luigi! He's my main and my favorite character! Of course I will play as him first! (assuming that he isn't unlockable) I wanna see what changes they made to him... hopefully they are for the better.
I'll play as Pit and Little Mac as well.

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
I'm very interested in Bowser, since I loved using his side-B at the edge of the stage in Brawl and want to test out the new design. Then I'll just random for a while. (Unless Palutena is in, I'd make a beeline for her)

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
For veterans, Charizard. Charizard forever.

For newcomers, Villager. He just looks very interesting, however it doesn't look like I'd main him.

Mnkymn89

Smash Rookie
assuming everyone is unlockable charizard or greninja, but considering the character that are most likely gonna be available at the start link or samus my consistant mains.

Luke4496

Smash Rookie
As someone earlier said, Mario in Classic Mode on Normal. Just like every game.

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
If and when he's announced, Captain Falcon. If Nintendo actually does decide to **** up and totally keep him out of the game, then maybe Villager.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Definitely Rosalina. If Rosalina isn't a starter, then Villager. Of course, this is only counting confirmed characters. If Dixie Kong is in the game and is a starter (albeit, it's very unlikely that she would be a starter), then she will be the first I try out.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Meta Knight, unless he by some obscure chance is unlockable, in which case I'll be trying out Mega Man.

zwalk2

Smash Rookie
Ima probably start off with Kirby. I always seem to wanna start with him.
I guess he's always been my go to guy since the N64, so he's how I generally grasp the game at first.
But after him, every newcomer starting with Greninja.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Every game so far I usually main a pokemon since i'm a pokefan. This time if Mewtwo isn't in or playable at first then I'll definitely play Charizard first.

What can I say I'm a genwunner

All those Saturday mornings watching pokemon gen 1 on Tv (only 3 channels at the time) as a kid has always been a lifelong memory!

Top Bottom