• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Rune40th

Smash Rookie
I knew from the start that I was going to lose more matches than I was going to win. But saving each loss, I've been able to see where I've been going wrong. I don't think losing is really losing when you've learned why you lost (just me). I feel that when playing a current session, it's best to ignore the overall records and just focus on only the session you have going on. It's a lot less painful and you'll be able to see your own growth. Over time, you might find out that you're better than what your record says. Just something to think about. Keep at it!

Last edited:

NinJaSQUARE

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cecil_Harvey
3DS FC
0473-7754-9350
I get really frustrated when I lose. About 90% of the time, when I lose, I start to evaluate myself if I'm actually good. My win rate on 3DS For Glory is 60% (not counting Wii U ver since I haven't played much). I play as five characters (Ike, Mario, Bowser, Shulk, Link), and I change characters all the time, so I feel it has to be me that's at fault.

When I'm on a losing streak, I get this vibe that my opponent is probably laughing at me for how terrible I was during that match.

The problem is, I don't know how I can improve. I don't have anybody to train with me. I do techniques such as short-hopping and dash/jump-reverse neutral B all the time but I still feel I'm not getting anywhere.

So yeah, it would be nice if I could figure out what to improve.

faster-by-choice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Geomancy-paw
3DS FC
2208-5682-6566
I feel like I lose a little bit more than I win, but I chalk that up to having to learn how to fight the newcomers and taking up a new character (Mario, who's vastly different than Lucas who I used last game). I'm cool for a little bit after I start to lose continually it gets kind of annoying and then my Smash game goes out the window lmao. If it's Shulk, Little Mac or Rosalina I can't even deal
I have a lot of techniques to learn (cancelling things and jazz) and the fact that I don't know all of these makes me feel like I'm terrible at Smash but when I do get round to learning these techniques I feel like I'll be such a boss in For Glory

onveon

Smash Rookie
I get really frustrated when I lose. About 90% of the time, when I lose, I start to evaluate myself if I'm actually good. My win rate on 3DS For Glory is 60% (not counting Wii U ver since I haven't played much). I play as five characters (Ike, Mario, Bowser, Shulk, Link), and I change characters all the time, so I feel it has to be me that's at fault.

When I'm on a losing streak, I get this vibe that my opponent is probably laughing at me for how terrible I was during that match.

The problem is, I don't know how I can improve. I don't have anybody to train with me. I do techniques such as short-hopping and dash/jump-reverse neutral B all the time but I still feel I'm not getting anywhere.

So yeah, it would be nice if I could figure out what to improve.
I think it is a matter of attitude, I have a 53% win rate and I think I am still very good at this game, I also can imagine the people laughing at me when I lose, I play a lot, I love smash bros, and I can´t tell if I am improving or not, mi win percentage has been the same almost all the time, but I see some videos or advanced move lists/videos then I practice them on "Training Mode" and If i´m not geting better, at least I am learning new moves, I would like to go to a local tournament in order to test me and se how much I suck/own.

Colonel_S

Smash Rookie
For Glory is really hit or miss for me, depending on my connection. I can still throw out a 70% winrate unless I have to deal with input lag. I think that's my greatest problem right now. Online input lag just feels unresponsive, but not consistently unresponsive (there are times when its actually really good, I'm finding).
Also, to everyone who pretends that lag doesn't exist: it does. I can still win some matches with lag, but my strategy sure changes when it happens.

Colonel_S

Smash Rookie
Quillion:
I'm not sure who your post was to, but it was somewhat unnecessary, especially since the point of this thread is to gripe. Everyone is here to gripe about the online in someway. So chill. Also, rage caps belong on Gamefaqs, not here.
If you were responding to me, I will clarify, since I believe you are probably a rational well-intending person who is acting this way because you are passionate about this game. I never said lag wasn't manageable; it is, but you do have to make adjustments for it. There are some (not necessarily on smashboards) who claim that lag is next to non-existent online. I think most people who have played the series for a while would easily admit there is some lag, depending on your connection. I know I have a bad connection online and I choose to play anyway. And that's fine. I play the game because I like it, not because "I wanna be the very best."

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I've played FG exclusively on 3ds since launch and I believe that its a great tool for players to encounter other player's playstyles across the globe. Yes lag is an issue, but out of all my matches (see sig) I'd say <10% were won/lost due to lag. You have to build up a tolerance to it as it will happen from time to time, but that shouldn't be the first reason as to why you may have lost. Respectively people have their own tolerance to lag and may forfeit prematurely from it.

And yes in FG, aside from lag, can be frustrating due to annoying habits of the opponent (ie constantly rolling or projectile spam) or due to annoying characters ala Little Mac. But that is what YOU must adapt to and learn from. If you don't try a new angle of approaching, you'll never get far. That's the beauty of online mode, you get to face players with varying characters and varying playstyles. It gives you the chance to see how people think and react, so rather than giving up so easily from a losing streak, save the replay and see what went awry. Learn from your mistakes and be a better player the next game.

W/L ratio doesn't seem to matter as I get people of different skill levels. Learn from players who give you trouble and learn from players who you beat easily. Do not be quick to blame lag for a loss, look first to what mistakes you may have made during the match and see what you could've done differently. Keep a positive attitude as everyone is still learning the intricacies of the game. A winning mind leads to a winning player.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I dunno how I feel about this thread to be honest. If you couldn't beat your opponent, then you just lost and they won. There's no way to excuse it. I've noticed that a lot of people have an inflated sense of skill when the people they've been playing against in the past haven't been very good, and these guys are the ones that get angry and upset about losses/records and will blame them on anything but themselves. I wouldn't say to coddle these people though; if they can't take a loss and they're gonna get angry/upset about them then they really shouldn't be in a competitive environment, the negative energy is just not necessary. Some people have a competitive spirit and some people don't, it's as simple as that really.

Do note that I'm not saying that losses can't sometimes be influenced by factors like the matchup or whatever, but at the end of the day, regardless of the MU or stage, if you had played better you would have won.

Colonel_S

Smash Rookie
Gawain:
It does seem like rubbish to have a thread like this at all from that viewpoint. At the end of the day everyone who loses, myself included, has to say that they could have done things differently. A big part of my strategy when I play in person is powershielding and sidestep dodging. When input lag is present, however, I have to adjust and play differently because I can't be quite as precise. It is frustrating at times when a "lag strategy" doesn't work because I feel like I would have approached it differently had I played in person.
In the end, it's just a game and hopefully most people who post on here know that and are just looking for sympathy. I don't think I would've continued playing smash with people better than me if all I heard was "lol git good scrub." There has to be some sympathy and coddling or we lose people and interest. In the end, though, people will just have to admit that if being amazing at smash is important to them, they have to count their losses and improve, despite the circumstances they play in.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I see this a lot too. I feel nintendo already addressed this type of player by putting in a For Fun catagory. Why wouldn't they just play that if they don't want to play against the playing-to-win type player?

Sneether

Smash Cadet
Yes, I feel Nintendo should have made a ranking system for FG rather then completely random,I always get my destoryed

Goulmania

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goulmania
I feel like the current system isn't fun for anybody. here's why:

1- People a little bit above average will have like 85% win ratio (base on my own experience it takes about 5 newbies to get a somewhat decent player)

2- Newbies will get bodied and rage (I reached an average on 3 rage quit by 1h of play). Considering this system was made so new player wouldn't be selfconsious of their skill level I think it fails on that level.

3- Good players get no fun in destroying someone they know doesn't understand the game the way they do.

TAUNT CAMP TAUNT ROLL TAUNT SPOTDODGE TAUNT SONIC TAUNT FD IS TOTALLY THE BEST MAP FOR COMPITITION TAUNT PROJECTILES OR LOSE TAUNT

I have an ~80% win-rate and I still despise this game mode

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Trying to be decent with Zelda and win a few, but then you get those games were you can't really do much but fail your recoveries because punishing and returning to the stage just seems improbable with lag humping you.

Last edited:

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
Coming from a background of casual play and party matches, I come to the online scene carrying a lot bad habits. I feel as if the players of FG are only giving me more. Worse yet, I have trouble punishing their bad habits and lose. For Glory could easily provide a day's worth of sodium for me.

I suppose I should try adding people or hit up the local scene to learn. It'd be nice to have an opponent that can nudge you in the right direction.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Anyone else find it really annoying when you find someone who pretends to be a taunt partyer just to get a free 10% from a dash attack?

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
It looks to me like the matchmaking does work. When I'm winning a lot of matches against less skilled opponents, I start to see more and more good players. After a while, 70% of the players I face are as good as me or better. But then I start losing a lot more, and the matchmaking sets me up with somewhat easier opponents again.

Because of this, I don't even know how it's possible to have a consistent win rate that's not around 50%, unless you are either a lot better or worse than the average for glory player.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I frequently get paired with bad players. my 1v1 W/L is 80% and it's been around 75% ever since i started. it might be my location but my opponents are almost exclusively Japanese and I doubt that all of them are that bad.

matchmaking is terrible, they're probably using GSP instead of a proper ranking system. how good you are at throwing items at a bunch of CPUs has no correlation to how good you are playing actual people on a semi-semi-competitive ruleset.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are much more people with skewed W/Ls than people who have balanced W/L.

Last edited:

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
I can't play in For Glory. There's this maddening delay between when I input something on my controller and when my character does what I input. Everything works fine offline and in the little training room before the match, but not on the match. Even without the st-st-stuttering lag it's a problem. I'm just going to have to stick to pwning the AI with my Link.
My internet isn't crap either... I don't have this problem on FPS'...

BBC7

Smash Ace
Heh, the title of this thread reminds me of a thread I made yesterday out of sheer salt. I claimed that flowchart Links make me bang my head against the table and people believed me. I guess I should have made it more obvious that 1. I do not lose to these players often, I just dislike losing against them at all and 2. I don't actually bang my head against tables. Somebody told me that I'd probably be even more frustrated fighting a good Diddy or Rosalina. I disagree, nothing gets me more salty than losing to something that shouldn't work like Boomerang/Arrow Spam and U-Smash/F-Smash when an approach is made. He also mentioned that Shulk and Link aren't great characters. Doesn't really matter since I was playing G&W at the time who is probably even worse, although that's another thing I forgot to mention.

tl;dr, I pretty much get frustrated when I lose to something stupid, and I'd rather get 2 stocked by a good Diddy than lose to a bad Link.

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
tfw when you try to play smash 4 like melee but you realize that shield pressure doesn't exist anymore.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Let me tell a little long story:

I always expected myself to have more losses than wins before the game came out, but surprisingly have a win rate that hovers around 75-77%, and it's pretty much stayed that way since I got the game despite having low competitive experience with past Smash titles. The day I bought the game though and entered a 3DS tournament and frendlies, I got bodied half the night and didn't even come close to advancing in the tournament, and I didn't get much farther in the following tournament the day after (did well in casuals). Compared to the tournament bodying I suffered, 70% For Glory players online are @ss in my experience. I've been playing on it for months, and started recording replays of my wins and losses online for criticism and advice as my main method of improving, including from a tournament I went to on my birthday during Oct 20. Slowly, but surely, I've improved from the videos I uploaded and learned from my mistakes (rolling way too much, being terrible at approaching, throwing out a lot of smashes, and being predictable). Getting bored playing just my mains, I have also started playing more and more characters over the months and try to learn them to be remotely competent with them too, and I think I'm trying too learn too many characters now and I know it slows down my progress, but I can't help it.

Recently last month at another tournament, I did significantly better than in my past 2 tournaments and its a sign I'm starting to get the hang of things. For the first time ever, I have finally been able to defeat my first opponent in a tournament and be able to advance on and survive longer on the winners side, and even got to play on stream. I absolutely loved playing on stream too, I previously couldn't make it because I was knocked out of the tournament too quickly to qualify for streaming, and it's now become a big motivation for my drive to succeed in a tournament. I've even come up with a new message in my head for encouragement the next time I go: Before I make it to Stream, it's go time. On Stream, it's showtime! All those recorded videos I saved have really paid off for me and I'm starting to have an easier time beating people, though I still have my on and off days on FG.

For Glory is fun and record replays has helped me advance: but now it's time for me to say goodbye. I am abandoning it for SmashLadder.com now, and I realize that it's a much better learning experience than For Glory was, and it's starting to help me pick up the pace a little. I realize For Glory mode has actually been a little harmful to me rather than helpful:
  • Taught me how to play only one stage, and I tend to struggle fighting on others sometimes, especially on stages like Tomodachi Life
  • Forced me to play with and against a limited number of tactics due to a lack of platforms
  • Most players, as I mentioned before, are of low skill level and have a ton of common bad habits I can easily exploit. Problem is since I've played FG for so long, I think I am TOO used to exploiting their habits and it carries on over when I face better people. For instance, most scrubs I face tend to do ledge attacks when get them on the ledge or ledge roll, and I almost always shield and down smash or chase their rolls. But because I am so used to punishing tens of people for it, I usually expect everyone to do it. Against better players, it doesn't work like I want it too, and my ledge options still suck to this day. Furthermore I have a few bad habits of my own when playing with or against certain characters (or just habits in general), and like half my opponents never punish me for them so I end up oblivious to them and don't know I have them until someone points it out. They let me get away with it, so I never learned from them.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
My biggest frustration with the meta is why the hell Nintendo decided to make pretty much every single newcomer a projectile spammer. Duck Hunt Dog, Megaman, Villager, Pac Man. It's not fun. It's just so annoying.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's getting to the point where I can't even get in a single attack. Opponents are able to safely taunt while I'm still on the stage because I'm just that hopelessly outmatched. Zero-to-deaths from Ness and Captain Falcon are becoming more and more common. I got so fed up this morning that I even chose to disconnect from the menu rather than selfdestruct again, damn that I'd be automatically banned for it.

Smash was my last hope at maybe finally getting some stress relief. Guess what? It failed. Horribly. Now I have an even more nonexistent sense of self-worth than before.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
It's getting to the point where I can't even get in a single attack. Opponents are able to safely taunt while I'm still on the stage because I'm just that hopelessly outmatched. Zero-to-deaths from Ness and Captain Falcon are becoming more and more common. I got so fed up this morning that I even chose to disconnect from the menu rather than selfdestruct again, damn that I'd be automatically banned for it.

Smash was my last hope at maybe finally getting some stress relief. Guess what? It failed. Horribly. Now I have an even more nonexistent sense of self-worth than before.
Look man, I somewhat sympathize with you,but a fighting game isn't at all a good way to get stress relief. You want stress relief? Go listen to some relaxing music or go buy yourself a copy of animal crossing new leaf. I honestly think that nobody should ever play a fighting game while feeling stressed out, you have to stay calm and collected to play at your best. Don't let a game make your self-worth go down. It is okay to get a little angry when playing a game,but you should always take a break before you get to this point. Take a break, cool down for a bit, and come back when your head is clear. For Glory isn't exactly the best way to learn anyways, the players are either terrible, have terrible internet, have terrible sportsmanship, all of the above, or rarely they are so much better then you that you don't even get a chance to understand how you could have done better. Smashladder is a great website where you can play against other people and the best thing about it, you can interact with them so you can ask for advice and nearly everyone is willing to give advice.

Zyyo

Smash Rookie
Whenever I match up with a Little Mac, Link, or Megaman, I self destruct.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
I was going to write a big long post about how 4glory players are genuinely bad and not difficult to fight, but I won't. Everyone just play Fox and bait something, then nair into grab and huck them upward with downthrow and just prepare aerials. He can handle pretty much every situation without a lot of hassle, and handles very well even with a small amount of input lag. I'd say easier than Diddy and definitely easier than Sheik (who's big combos and tilt strings are reliant on not over-doing it, which is tough with buffer inputs + lag)

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I was going to write a big long post about how 4glory players are genuinely bad and not difficult to fight, but I won't. Everyone just play Fox and bait something, then nair into grab and huck them upward with downthrow and just prepare aerials. He can handle pretty much every situation without a lot of hassle, and handles very well even with a small amount of input lag. I'd say easier than Diddy and definitely easier than Sheik (who's big combos and tilt strings are reliant on not over-doing it, which is tough with buffer inputs + lag)
I honestly don't see too many Fox players. For glory players I go against either just use little mac players who get destroyed, diddy players who forget they are not in a tournament, or japenese players who use pikachu forgetting they are not in a tournament. For glory is full of uncreative players who use the best characters (or in the case of little mac, who he think is the best) just for the sake of them being the best. They never learn anything on their own, they only learn something new when someone else does first and shares the information. For glory players are probably the same people who play OU in smogon, only using like the top 20 OU pokemon with the same exact strategy everyone uses. There is a reason people cheer for the underdog, they don't just do the same old stuff everyone else does because they think it is the best way.I feel like for glory should be treated more as a place to learn to get good and experiment, rather then just worrying about winning all the time like you are in a tournament or trying to prove something to random online strangers you can't even talk too.

TL;DR: Play to win,but know when winning does not matter. Try to figure things out on your own instead of never trying until you find it out from someone else.

Last edited:

CrypticAsian

Smash Rookie
I've been seeing this a lot, and it's disheartening. Share your stories, don't let people make you feel bad for being a little bit frustrated. Just remember it's a game, and to take some time off and relax. :)
Is anyone else encountering my problem? For the past 3 weeks I have straight up been playing the worst types of smash players that ever exist. Its been nothing but Ness, Sheik, Villager, Duck Hunt, BASICALLY EVERY CHARACTER WITH PROJECTILES, *ahem dedede*, ROB, etccccccccccc. All Nesses just mad spam pk fire, which absolutely drives up damage, and ALWAYS have to kill with back throw. All sheiks have been charging B and rolling away until they can spam it, villager does his ******** side b and f/bair ****, Duck hunt spams side and standard b and his ****ing grabs, ROB spams down, side, and standard b, and down smash, and im sure ppl already know dedede. I cant even describe how sick i am of it. YES, MOST MOVES ARE EASILY PUNISHABLE, BUT YOU CANT PUNISH IF EVERYONE YOU FACE IS A STRAIGHT UP ***** AND RUNS AWAY AFTER EVERY HIT

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Is anyone else encountering my problem? For the past 3 weeks I have straight up been playing the worst types of smash players that ever exist. Its been nothing but Ness, Sheik, Villager, Duck Hunt, BASICALLY EVERY CHARACTER WITH PROJECTILES, *ahem dedede*, ROB, etccccccccccc. All Nesses just mad spam pk fire, which absolutely drives up damage, and ALWAYS have to kill with back throw. All sheiks have been charging B and rolling away until they can spam it, villager does his ******** side b and f/bair ****, Duck hunt spams side and standard b and his ****ing grabs, ROB spams down, side, and standard b, and down smash, and im sure ppl already know dedede. I cant even describe how sick i am of it. YES, MOST MOVES ARE EASILY PUNISHABLE, BUT YOU CANT PUNISH IF EVERYONE YOU FACE IS A STRAIGHT UP ***** AND RUNS AWAY AFTER EVERY HIT
Get a friend who plays one of these characters - irl or online - and practice against them. It's all about positioning and perfect shielding. Watch pros face off against those characters and see how they get around projectile play.

Maginot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2981-8431-1413
I've been seeing this a lot, and it's disheartening. Share your stories, don't let people make you feel bad for being a little bit frustrated. Just remember it's a game, and to take some time off and relax. :)
It doesn't happen too often, but when I do get totally DOMINATED in FG, I throw a tantrum in my head, contemplate selling the game, then after I've cooled down a bit, watch the replay and immediately see exactly what I can do to improve. It's never as fun after a bad loss, but I know I'm getting better. Keep Smashin'

Roge9

Smash Rookie
Ahem.

SCREW SOME OF THE HITBOXES IN THIS GAME. I attack you when you are right in front of me and my attack whiffs? KBRO

That is all.

Last edited:

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
I'm constantly floating between 55 and 60% of win ratio and it kills me on the inside. I don't want to be "average" and "casual", I'm doing my hardest to move beyond that point by reading, analyzing and training but I seem unable to move past that line of 60% and I partially blame the at times awful matchmaking.
What irks me the most is when I know I'm better than someone in FG, but I still can't beat them. I see their bad habits, I formulate a plan in my head to counter their roll spam, but in the end I lose because they're Captain Falcon and I'm Bowser and when I decide to throw out my down smash to punish the damn spam, they run to the other end of the stage and back to me before the move finished just to grab me on the first frame after that smash attack. It's the Yoshi who does literally nothing other than egg spam and dash attack, but since his dash attack goes -past- my shield I can't follow up with a grab. It's the Little Mac who runs at me at light speed and either does his leap punch or grab, because he moves so fast I barely notice him being in the middle of the platform when I'm already hit by it. It's Pikatchu who is spamming the ever living **** out of neutral B and then comes in by dash attack into thunder/grab+upthrow into thunder to finish me. Or Mario, or Link, or Toon Link, or Falco, or Fox, or Doc Mario, or anyone else who gets their kicks out of spamming neutral B until the opponent has 100%, because that's not what anyone should consider fun in any kind of semi-competitive environment* (*opinion piece). Heck, even the damn Villager is more fun to play against because that one is actually requiring some effort past the point of camping. It's the Mario who can use twenty nine up tilts to rack up four billion % damage while I as Lucario have to struggle and fight for every 20% with my slow-ass smashes and my tiny Rosaluma grab range. It's one of the four billion ZSS who -all- use the -exact- same combo of paralyzer, grab, upthrow, fancy pants inescapable combo that does about 400% damage and kills a Bowser at 50%(numbers may be off due to brutal hate). It's people with bad, predictable habits that are too fast for me to react properly, which is entirely the fault of my awful reaction times and nothing else, but I still hate every single one of them and will block them just so I never have to see their faces again. No matter how much you educate yourself, learn to see patterns and theory-craft, absolutely nothing can replace practical experience and dedication not to give up.

Last edited:

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Sometimes I get back to that phase where I believe I suck at this game. Why? Because someone online literally posted the message to me that I suck. I find myself to be improving at some days and losing my edge on others. Recently I fought a Pac-Man player that defeated me twice. It's not often that I fight this character and actually intend to sub him in the future, so it's good research despite my loss. I still think I could have done a little better if lag didn't stop me from baiting his projectiles at precise points to evade or defend and counter back. I was indeed disappointed, but it really hurt me when the online player sent messages, "You're Good", then "Syke!", then "You Suck". I don't care how skilled a player can be, but boasting about how awful I am is hitting below the belt. I wish someone could give that guy his comeuppance in the future. A lot of us want to feel good about ourselves in For Glory, and that includes when we're losing as long as the opponent acknowledges it was a good game, whether there's a message or nothing. Making others feel bad about themselves should never be expressed, even if it's to joke around.

I know I'm taking this too seriously, but sometimes I just don't feel I can earn anyone's respect in this game because I'm not good enough. And these jokers who spread their insults only make it worse. It's the fear of bullying all over again. :(

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I get back to that phase where I believe I suck at this game. Why? Because someone online literally posted the message to me that I suck. I find myself to be improving at some days and losing my edge on others. Recently I fought a Pac-Man player that defeated me twice. It's not often that I fight this character and actually intend to sub him in the future, so it's good research despite my loss. I still think I could have done a little better if lag didn't stop me from baiting his projectiles at precise points to evade or defend and counter back. I was indeed disappointed, but it really hurt me when the online player sent messages, "You're Good", then "Syke!", then "You Suck". I don't care how skilled a player can be, but boasting about how awful I am is hitting below the belt. I wish someone could give that guy his comeuppance in the future. A lot of us want to feel good about ourselves in For Glory, and that includes when we're losing as long as the opponent acknowledges it was a good game, whether there's a message or nothing. Making others feel bad about themselves should never be expressed, even if it's to joke around.

I know I'm taking this too seriously, but sometimes I just don't feel I can earn anyone's respect in this game because I'm not good enough. And these jokers who spread their insults only make it worse. It's the fear of bullying all over again. :(
Eh, don't feel like you need to earn anyone's respect. For Glory matches are absolutely nothing like offline matches. There's just too much of an advantage projectile users, and fast characters have. They can literally throw anything out without worrying about timing, and cooldown to mix in with the online lag.

I love playing DK, and his playstyle promotes you to be passive aggressive, so things like powershielding come into play.It's also really fun to pretend that I'm about to punish someone who threw out a big move, then back out and see if they shield, or throw out another move, it's funny!

But then I got a bud who has a little mac (really good mac by the way), who can throw absolutely everything out, and requires milisecond reaction times to punish and grab. He leaves the shortest windows of punishment in the cast, and lag just buffs this right up. I can't linger about to bait dash attacks and powershield him because the timing is so weird, so I either end up getting socked off the stage, or normal shield him, which just ends up leaving me wide open for a grab, since mac can just act out of what he's doing at this point. If I try to be more aggressive, his super armor will just tear right through me, and it doesn't help the fact that DK leaves big openings.

TL;DR: My split second reactions are a joke, due to 20 milisecond lag.

Last edited:

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182

Yeah, I understand. I remember I went in For Glory to play some miscellaneous characters to see who was best for me as a secondary, and my opponent went Yoshi and only spammed egg roll, which I couldn't punish since I was using Fox who didn't have any flinching projectiles. After that match, I switched to my main and two stocked him. He immediately went back to spamming Yoshi and after the match, he changed his name to "REKT" after he won, once again while I was playing as Fox. Don't take those guys too seriously. Playing online is much different than offline since with online lag, most people are able to get away with more than they would in say a tournament match, like roll abuse. Just don't let it get to you and keep on training, and remember, the only person's opinion on your performance that really matters is yourself. If you see yourself improving, then that's what you want. That Pac-Man player needs to remember, you only get better by losing so there's no shame when it happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom