• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Dantesdeception

Smash Rookie
In my recent games:

:4jigglypuff:-spamming aerial
:4kirby:-spamming aerial + constant dash attacks
:4greninja:-never ending onslaught of shurikens
:4ganondorf:-like forward B?
:4bowser:-^
:4megaman:-a basic ballerina with the spins
:4littlemac:-I've never touched foot on the stage

I'm a Marth/Lucina main and the only thing i can do with these guys is counter, and even then its a failure because some of their moves hit after the counter rendering it useless. Any help please? qwq

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Kirby spamming aerials, what? You do realize that's what Kirby is about, aerial combos.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
In my recent games:

Kirby spamming aerials, what? You do realize that's what Kirby is about, aerials combos.
Exactly. Both Kirby and Jiggs, mostly the ladder, are supposed to spam aerials because it's part of their air game. Hell, I even wrote and entire guide for Jigglypuff's air game. It's sort of skill (at least more than what I've seen from Little Mac) since you're using shield / OOS options and you can't be predictable with her aerials. Gotta use rest eventually.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Ironic how Top Spin was one of the most useless moves in Mega Man 3, but in this game it's one of the best moves the Blue guy has.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I just played a Rosalina who literally only rolled everywhere. Seriously, not a single form of movement that was not a roll or attack. How is this fun for anyone!?
:4falcon:
is now the character I see the most of. I'm awful at fighting him. Probably one of, if not my worst matchup.
:4sheik: is actually driving me up the wall, somebody please make it stop :c

I honestly wish the roster was more diverse online. I'm actually so happy whenever I come across a :4pacman:/ :4palutena:/ :4bowserjr:/ :4luigi:/ :4falco:/ :4gaw:/ :4rob:. When I fight these characters, it's like the game is suddenly ten times more fun; it's far more exciting as I have to expect the unexpected as I'm so unused to seeing their moves.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Win rate of 48-ish%. All I can say is I despise playing against Little Mac and have considered just SD'ing and leaving the game. I almost went through with it once but came to my senses last moment and decided to go out fighting. I still lost, but I did it with dignity (or at least I would like to think I did).

I always play a match with ROB because he's awesome and I want to main him, but I rarely win matches with him. Any tips on how to get better with ROB? said no one, ever.
I know this is a bit late of a reply but I main R.O.B. and I feel like I'm pretty good with him to help you out. Learn some of R.O.B.'s basic combos such as Dgrab -> Uair , 2x Dtilt -> gyro , dash attack -> Fair , etc. Also gyro and laser are extremely good projectiles and definitely apply some pressure, they can also punish rolls really well. Also with R.O.B. I tend to stay grounded but his Nair is really good. Try to play some mind games with the gyro and laser and force the opponent to approach you so you can counter back. If you want to have some matches to help you practice just let me know!

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I just discovered Ness PK Thunder spam. It was terrifying. I'd never gone up against it. I just got up-b'd into up-b'd into up-b'd and it juggled me so hard, and when I finally hit the ground he boosted himself into me and I died. I could hardly get close.
My first and so far only Ness encounter went a bit differently. He did have the decency to not spam it too much and mostly went for tail damage instead. Still, be nice to know what can break that.
For me, the problem was those damned dashes and fairs, he'd jump, fair, doublejump and fair again I couldn't stop em. I do just plain suck though so maybe there's something that can be done about those too?
They left after the first match (I failed to get a single ko) so yeah... I didn't have time to study it properly.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Let's see. For Glory frustrations. Constant rolling, lots of dash attacks followed by mashed A so you can't punish with a throw because of the lag, Bowsers going for nothing but command throws and butt slams the whole time, every fire emblem character shulk, lucario, and little mac spamming counter, people mashing air dodge and ground dodge, Bowser Jrs, Little Macs, Duck Hunts, Sonics, and to top it all off, the lag, which makes everything I've mentioned before even harder to deal with. Offline I can deal with all this stuff easily, online it's a different story. I'm a reaction based player, and I don't mash, and it's difficult to react to something when it takes almost an entire second for the game to recognize your inputs because of the lag. FG has been a generally painful experience so far. I have much more fun running sets with people I know who actually know how to play the game correctly.

It's also funny when you play a decent player in FG and you're beating them, and after about 3 matches of you winning with a decent connection they immediately switch to Little Mac or Bowser Jr. and decide to go dumb, and the previously smooth connection suddenly gets extremely laggy, at least for you.
Never had that happen. Sounds more like having Mac issues and blaming lag for losing to those characters. I've never had a connection go bad when someone swiches. Either it's a good connection or it isn't

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
any1 want to play 1v1s add me pls looking to improve ,,,need feedback

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I mainly go to For Glory in teams since I feel like I'm playing for fun. On 1v1's I generally do good. I have a 58% win rate on 1v1.

I wrote this on another website:
Playing against an extremely skilled player online, knowing that I'm not gonna be able to win even if I try, is pretty off-putting / discouraging. I try to stop being competitive all together because I know the end result is always the same, not fun (maybe not enjoyable is the better term). Either way, it always feels different online compared to local multiplayer on the couch.

Dantesdeception

Smash Rookie
Exactly. Both Kirby and Jiggs, mostly the ladder, are supposed to spam aerials because it's part of their air game. Hell, I even wrote and entire guide for Jigglypuff's air game. It's sort of skill (at least more than what I've seen from Little Mac) since you're using shield / OOS options and you can't be predictable with her aerials. Gotta use rest eventually.
By that I literally mean spam, like, non stop. I have played my friend who is a beast with jigglypuff, and most if it isn't even aerial. There's combos, grabbing, rest, rollout, everything. It's no fun playing somebody who uses one move throughout the whole match and win because you could not land.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
By that I literally mean spam, like, non stop. I have played my friend who is a beast with jigglypuff, and most if it isn't even aerial. There's combos, grabbing, rest, rollout, everything. It's no fun playing somebody who uses one move throughout the whole match and win because you could not land.
If you are being beaten by ONE attack, what reason would they have to bother using anything else? Adapt. Let Puff come to you and shield grab her. If you're beaten by one attack you should be able to adapt to, avoid, and punish it.

Dantesdeception

Smash Rookie
If you are being beaten by ONE attack, what reason would they have to bother using anything else? Adapt. Let Puff come to you and shield grab her. If you're beaten by one attack you should be able to adapt to, avoid, and punish it.
I'm not that very good, and when i try to do that, the person seems to have the most impeccable side step timing. I just have to resort to leaving the game after a match.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I've pretty much given up on Smash 3DS at this point. It's not that I'm losing a whole bunch, it's just genuinely frustrating when the 3DS doesn't do what you tell it to -- I can't wait to have a GCN controller in my hands to have a higher degree of accuracy.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
I've pretty much given up on Smash 3DS at this point. It's not that I'm losing a whole bunch, it's just genuinely frustrating when the 3DS doesn't do what you tell it to -- I can't wait to have a GCN controller in my hands to have a higher degree of accuracy.
Side B and end up getting an an Up B
3Ds 2 gewd

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Win rate of 48-ish%. All I can say is I despise playing against Little Mac and have considered just SD'ing and leaving the game. I almost went through with it once but came to my senses last moment and decided to go out fighting. I still lost, but I did it with dignity (or at least I would like to think I did).

I always play a match with ROB because he's awesome and I want to main him, but I rarely win matches with him. Any tips on how to get better with ROB? said no one, ever.
Bit late, but I've got a 89% winrate with ROB because nobody can handle spacing in For Glory. As I see it, ROB is basically just focused on keeping the opponent away with nair/fair while poking with laser/gyro. I throw out the low level laser nearly every time it's off cooldown, and laser -> gyro is generally safe and can rack up damage if one of them connects. Gyro -> laser is a combo as well I believe. Also dtilt can combo into itself, which is cute. And it can trip.
Down throw -> upair is a true combo below maybe 40%, but keep trying even at higher %s. Your kill moves should be upsmash, bair (rarely), and upair, which some dsmash as well. Also, upthrow is perhaps the optimal killmove and works on light weights at maybe 120 while it kills even bowser at maybe 150. Space with short hop Nairs, literally all the time. Dash attack sucks and you shouldn't use it to approach. Honestly, with ROB and his duel projectiles, you shouldn't be the one approaching: Use the laser and gyro to force the opponent to approach you, then space them with Nair/Fair. Practice laser snipes once you knock people offstage. Don't be afraid to go offstage for Fairs/Upairs, ROB has a good recovery. You can gimp with Dair, and you should also be using it to stall in midair to make it easier to recover onto the stage. A lot of For Glory opponents will charge an upsmash while you're still out of range, and throwing a Dair for the stall then landing out of range of their attack makes it fairly easy to recover high. Also, you can't dodge while doing UpB but you can use aerials which also cancel it. You can UpB -> Aerial -> UpB again as long as you still have fuel. Use laser + gyro aimed at the edge of the stage while you're recovering to make it harder for them to ledgeguard as well.
Laser laser laser. Gyro laser Nair Gyro. ROB is all about spacing, since For Glory is only flat. Learn the range on the nair, practice doing it so that it autocancels when you hit the ground, practice reversing your gyros in midair, practice hitting people from long range with your laser. I really enjoy ROB's projectile game and he has no trouble punishing rolls (Nair spam works well) which is great.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
I usually don't get cheesed out by attacks unless the day just wasn't my day in general. Also, good ZSS players are nightmares. They juggle you like it's their job and they go really deep when it comes to gimping. I play Mega Man, and Mega Man's combo and juggle abilities are really under-average. His spacing is good though and it creates lovely mindgames that breaks down opponents who aren't necessarily thinkers.
yeah geez zss gimping.... =.=

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I wish everything didn't seem so unresponsive. I mean like when doing a grab for example I have to go though the whole animation and I've seen other players pretty much getting in early shields which I've never been able to do at all. It's annoying when I fight knowing I'm at an instant disadvantage through that alone.

Also, how on earth can you deal with Pikachu's upthrow+thunder? It's just plain annoying and seems unavoidable once it starts.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Seriously, if you want to have fun in smash, play with actual friends. While I generally support strictly competitive play (no items, stage bans, etc.), I am much more relaxed around people I know personally. I can have fun with items and weird stages. I'm a little lost on this concept that people were hoping that online play would bring them a world of friends who want to goof off... yet they insist on playing For Glory and moaning over how "boring/hard/unfair" it is. Have fun with people who wanna have fun!

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
Seriously, if you want to have fun in smash, play with actual friends. While I generally support strictly competitive play (no items, stage bans, etc.), I am much more relaxed around people I know personally. I can have fun with items and weird stages. I'm a little lost on this concept that people were hoping that online play would bring them a world of friends who want to goof off... yet they insist on playing For Glory and moaning over how "boring/hard/unfair" it is. Have fun with people who wanna have fun!
I'm with you. I want to goof off. "For fun" is not fun! Why isn't there a "taunt party" mode?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I'm with you. I want to goof off. "For fun" is not fun! Why isn't there a "taunt party" mode?
Yeah I can not deal with 4 players matches since the connection is so bad. I play competitively to have fun by using the skills I know,but I usually don't enjoy the matches I have since the only people I ever fight are: :4littlemac:players who spam roll and side smash, :4falcon:players who act like they are the best Sm4sh player ever until they get destroyed by my :4marth:and leave the game, and players who basically do the same thing as what I said the :4littlemac:players do,but with other characters. The likeliness of me getting a good match in For Glory is so low. I can't even do a respectful taunt at the beginning of a match without someone getting a cheap hit on me. For Glory is full of players who either do whatever it takes to win like using a character who is really easy to use and win with, or people who play like a b**** and just roll all over the place, get cheap hits when I am trying to be nice by taunting at the beginning of a match, and spamming side smash, which now that I think of it is still doing whatever it takes to win. I hate when people act like they are so good using :4littlemac:,:rosalina:,:4sonic:,:4tlink:,:4zss: when we all know they would get bodied using any other characters. I hate it when I 2 stock someone and then they switch over to :4littlemac:, it really shows that people are just playing to win no matter how they have to do it, but then if they try doing that in a tournament they would get bood (I don't know how to spell it sorry) by the crowd and then probably disqualified if they do something like spam rolls. P.S. I know I used emotes a lot, but it is easier to do that then type out all the names.

Last edited:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I cannot put a neon sign of an arrow big enough to show how much I agree with this. Playing with Friends really makes a big difference in enjoying the game. Play with Friends rather than For Glory so that both you and your buddies can get better together! You also have fun doing it, and that is a total win/win.

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
well I recently got the game and I won 40% of my matches. My frustrations are:

:4bowserjr: just spamming side-b.
People just rolling all the time, and I have to roll too because of it which I hate.
projectile spamming ( even though I main :4greninja: I don't spam the shurikens)
and as a greninja main, I'd say I lost half my matches because I used side B instead of up B. Why does it happen so much?
The lag is just so bad sometimes.
and lastly, doing an up-tilt instead of an up-smash.

Counter moves aren't so bad to deal with, because most people always use it in the air, which is predictable.
little macs aren't so bad either, because it's easy to gimp them with greninja

I just love it when I find some beast players who just 2-stock me using combos, predicting what I do and whatnot. As a very new player to the smash series, you can really learn a lot battling those guys. After a couple matches I can even take a stock from them!

Hellzsaint

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hellzsaint
3DS FC
0087-2525-0130
Well I've only recently got this game, and I usually just lose over and over.
I can't take lag in fighting games, the smallest amount of lag will always throw me off.
It gets me frustrated that people can handle the lag so perfectly and will always know how to fight against me.
even when I'm switching up my game.

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
Yeah I can not deal with 4 players matches since the connection is so bad. I play competitively to have fun by using the skills I know,but I usually don't enjoy the matches I have since the only people I ever fight are: :4littlemac:players who spam roll and side smash, :4falcon:players who act like they are the best Sm4sh player ever until they get destroyed by my :4marth:and leave the game, and players who basically do the same thing as what I said the :4littlemac:players do,but with other characters. The likeliness of me getting a good match in For Glory is so low. I can't even do a respectful taunt at the beginning of a match without someone getting a cheap hit on me. For Glory is full of players who either do whatever it takes to win like using a character who is really easy to use and win with, or people who play like a b**** and just roll all over the place, get cheap hits when I am trying to be nice by taunting at the beginning of a match, and spamming side smash, which now that I think of it is still doing whatever it takes to win. I hate when people act like they are so good using :4littlemac:,:rosalina:,:4sonic:,:4tlink:,:4zss: when we all know they would get bodied using any other characters. I hate it when I 2 stock someone and then they switch over to :4littlemac:, it really shows that people are just playing to win no matter how they have to do it, but then if they try doing that in a tournament they would get bood (I don't know how to spell it sorry) by the crowd and then probably disqualified if they do something like spam rolls. P.S. I know I used emotes a lot, but it is easier to do that then type out all the names.
I agree with you one hundred per cent. We need to play some matches some time man!

Biggles

Smash Rookie
In my recent games:

I'm a Marth/Lucina main and the only thing i can do with these guys is counter, and even then its a failure because some of their moves hit after the counter rendering it useless. Any help please? qwq
control space, stop trying to rely on counter. maybe a starting point would be focusing on opportunities to grab out of shield and use your neutral A and aerials to cancel approach? (this isn't optimal play i think but if they're literally doing what you said it should work.)

L@ST_Dinosaur

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3737-9522-1118
Honestly, I haven't had many issues in terms of lag and such. I will admit i'm not the best at the game, Some of these things that people complain about is kinda easy to adapt to, Such as :4darkpit::4pit:'s Side B. If people spam it, try to run up and shield and try to punish it with a grab or something, It works out for me most the time. Also most of the little mac players are bad online, they usually run up and dash attack, so just stay by the ledge and shield, then punish them with a back throw or something. :4bowser:'s Back air destroys :4littlemac:

Otherwise the only REAL complaint I have is the obvious which is the whole FD only thing. Battlefield would be nice here and there.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I hate Little Mac. If he wasn't here, the game would have been much better, for me :/

I don't speak so only because recently i have lost almost every game against him: in fact, untile about 2 weeks ago, I used Daraen and had a win rate about 90-95% against LMs, and hated this short guy too

moreover, i suck against Lucarios too XD and also against some Yoshies

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a winrate a bit above 70% (83% with my good ol' Zuldah), and I don't have too much to specifically complain about. It can get frustrating in those (thankfully, rare) games where I get totally obliterated, but it does help me to just learn how to deal with things, obviously.

Honestly, the three most consistently annoying things for me are:

Frogs. This character. I just. Something about this frog just makes me wanna eat his legs. Got his tongue all flopping around. Acting like he's a human when he's a frog. Yuck.

I'm actually fairly freaked out every time a Ganondorf lands a Flame Choke, because I know that a dtilt is following right after and he just got a lot of damage on me. Ouch. Yuck.

Bowsers koopa clawing me into the void on our last stock despite my best efforts to move us the other way. RIP me. Most of the time I just sit there twitching for a sec while little tears form in my eyes. Sadness overwhelms me. Yuck.

However, For Glory is still my favorite little time waster. Just pop in for a few games here and there to kill some time and have some fun. Especially great are when you find someone who you just end up... connecting with. I dunno about you all, but once upon a night, I played with someone named Xeph for ~an hour, maybe more. We were pretty even (they started stronger, but we evened out as the matches went on) and at first I was starting to get a bit frustrated... but the bond I felt we shared by the end was unbreakable. We started each match with a friendly taunt before bopping on each other... we helped each other to grow... it was a beautiful thing. When I saw them leave, I felt pretty sad. Goodbye Xeph. Craigslist missed connections don't fail me now.

But there's also those matches where you both just screw around for 5 minutes doing stupid stuff without killing one another and let sudden death decide. I can't help but love those, too.

By the way, my name on FG is like, PaperMa...

PaperMario too long. Yuck.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
In my recent games:

In Sm4sh counters are buffed and are now good as kill moves. You should ONLY use counters when you know for sure the counter will hit and kill them. It really is a shame that there are so many :4megaman:,:4ganondorf:,and :4greninja:who fail to use them effectively and just spam the same stuff that stops working once you figure out how to deal with it,there are so many better ways to use these three characters, but nobody cares about actually being good at the game,they care more about just winning. For :4kirby:and:4jigglypuff: aerials are their best thing,but unfortunately all the :4kirby:players I have gone against constantly spam dash attack and up-b which it not that useful. :4bowser:has never given me too much trouble, I have probably only gone against one bowsercider, I only bowsercide when my opponent does something to piss me off like use an annoying character. :4littlemac:is cheap and boring to fight, nuff said.

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
In my recent games:

This why you need to change playstyles and with the aerial complaints what are you expecting them to do just attack from the ground.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
So far, it hasn't been that frustrating. Well, sometimes the lag is unbearable, but most of the time it's doable. I'm at ~80% wins but I didn't know about the elo system at first. I played to... well, have friendly battles and whenever my opponent suicided accidently, I jumped too. Also, at times I forgot about me being in queue and walked away. Now I'm playing to win. I've stopped friendly suiciding, because... apparantly there are little nice guys out there. Also, I've stopped going up against people I can't beat (happened once or twice) or are pretty even. At first, I'd just keep playing because I figured I'd learn, but now I just do my best, beat them once and then I go out of the lobby.

I rather play against good players so I can learn, but, I figured, if I just keep going for higher elo, I'll end up battling good players constantly anyway.

The most frustrating times is whenever a spammer wins. Like, a wario who did side B 24/7 and I actually didn't know how to counter that properly. I tried to smack him off his bike, but with the lag, the timing was just slightly off and I got hit too often. Sure, in general it wasn't very good and I beat him 4-5 times, but him winning once was enough for me to feel bad for an hour or so.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
In my recent games:

Against kirby/jigglypuff: try to remain in the middle of the field. Stick to the ground, mostly. Use your long range to space them out. A tipping forward smash with marth is enough to kill them at very low percent

Against greninja: jump. Keep in mind that he cannot not use shuriken when it's charging, so you know when it's coming.

Against ganondorf: his side B can be teched. Do that. After, you can punish him

Bowser: use a char with ranged attacks. Bowser can do little against that. Counter also works. Just, make sure he doesnt commit bowsercide with his side B. Keep in mind that both players can control it, but the player with the lowest percentage the most.

Megaman: also jump. Get close to him. His ranged attacks aren't that strong, just annoying. Be careful for the smash though.

Little mac: never approach him. Always stick to the sides. Remain there and let him approach. Counter his approaches and just grab, a lot. Grab,and throw him off stage. Follow up with a single spiking dAir and he's dead. Little mac shouldn't be hard for a marth/lucina.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
So far, it hasn't been that frustrating. Well, sometimes the lag is unbearable, but most of the time it's doable. I'm at ~80% wins but I didn't know about the elo system at first. I played to... well, have friendly battles and whenever my opponent suicided accidently, I jumped too. Also, at times I forgot about me being in queue and walked away. Now I'm playing to win. I've stopped friendly suiciding, because... apparantly there are little nice guys out there. Also, I've stopped going up against people I can't beat (happened once or twice) or are pretty even. At first, I'd just keep playing because I figured I'd learn, but now I just do my best, beat them once and then I go out of the lobby.

I rather play against good players so I can learn, but, I figured, if I just keep going for higher elo, I'll end up battling good players constantly anyway.

The most frustrating times is whenever a spammer wins. Like, a wario who did side B 24/7 and I actually didn't know how to counter that properly. I tried to smack him off his bike, but with the lag, the timing was just slightly off and I got hit too often. Sure, in general it wasn't very good and I beat him 4-5 times, but him winning once was enough for me to feel bad for an hour or so.
Even worse is that whenever they spam they always spam just smart enough to make you almost always get hit by it.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'm actually fairly freaked out every time a Ganondorf lands a Flame Choke, because I know that a dtilt is following right after and he just got a lot of damage on me. Ouch. Yuck.
You can hit L or R as you hit the ground on Flame Choke to tech and automatically roll away. The d-tilt will never hit you if you do this, and you have plenty of time to get it because the flame choke animation isn't that fast.

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
another thing that is VERY annoying is that I seem to die so easily. I mean I shadow sneak a pikachu at 100 %, he goes to the VERY edge of the map but doesn't die. however if a yoshi forward smashes me at like 70% I go very slowly to the edge of the map and still die. It's so frustrating when I should have killed but didn't.

Top Bottom