• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
So because a character counters yours/your character got nerfed, you're quitting? That's kinda weak.
I'm sorry what character can I use that will make sure my grab works? And being a melee player like I am you should know I'm not gonna have high tolerance for this >:3

Riverside J

Smash Rookie
So far, For Glory Mode has been positive for me. I'm doing well for my first serious Smash, even though i did play other Smash games and did well in those outside Melee, which I regret I didn't play. For Glory put me through some tough battles and because of it, I got 2nd place in my first ever Smash tournament in Chicago. (Side note, Smashers are very good people.) yes I took some tough losses. I tend to play late at night because their are really good japan players who are very good. They are very tough battles and I'm not going to lie it brought down my win rate. 65% to 58%, but it got me that much stronger as a player and when I played in the tournament, I felt I was well prepared.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I guess I'm doing okay for my first Smash game. My win percentage has been steadily going up; I think it's around 52% by now. I'm pretty happy that my last 100 games have had about 60% win rate though. I used to get incredibly frustrated if I got stomped, but now I'm glad to say I've gotten over it. Being a sore loser did not help me to learn faster. Picking a definite main has helped me to improve much faster too.

I think everyone can agree that noticing yourself improving and being able to beat people you would have otherwise lost to a week ago, is one of the most rewarding experiences of For Glory. Learning juggling techniques has probably been the most enjoyable aspect of online play for me. Nothing better than not even letting your opponent get back onto the stage. Pretty glad I joined these forums to be honest, I learned an absolute ton from here :)

Last edited:

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Being so accustomed to the other Smash games, I got off to a rocky start yesterday getting used to the mechanics as well as my characters. But today was much better. I could almost say "I've got a good rhythm going!" :4shulk:
I think it's great that there are a good amount of decent players online, aside from some players that fit into categories already described previously, but even they are part of the learning experience, so I welcome whatever gimmick comes my way.

Also, I noticed another Shulk/Ike main on the first page here... *high fives Evelion*

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I used to have quite a loit difficulty doing well in For Glory at first, but I picked up some flaws I had and started to do better. Made even this little chart of sorts for you to help.

- SPACE: You can't be a mere sitting duck, both in air or ground especially. When you're dealing with fellas like Falcon or ZSS, they are highly relying on their speed and combo abilities to make you feel helpless and not have much counterattack. With good aerial spacing AWAY from them enough, you avoid becoming easy fodder for their attack followups. Same for projectiles, except don't try to get too close as this is expected with landing a Dash A or an F-Smash/other laggy attack of their liking on your face. Also, learn to spot-dodge in top of rolling and use those as well when dealing with campers

- PACE: Most people in FG are about as well escapable of your attacks as you, which usually means that observing their playstyle and defensive maneuvers can lend you know when to truly attack most hard back at them. I've become quite easy to think of following with an attack easily jumped over after a throw, which means that you gotta at least "wait for it" and strike when the opportunity to hit an open opponent comes. Very important to think up if you realize you're easily punished for doing Smash Attacks and have generally difficult time KO:ing. (I do still!). However, with more faster characters you're confident with, just trust your instincts and do what you usually do, if it has been effective before or you've worked out your kings. Sometimes overthinking can also impede your progress.

- ACE: While it seems to support the concept of defensive play overpowering offensive one (depending on characters), don't instantly go show off the way you play against your opponents as to let them set up to see your playstyle and ways to counteract it (or you just going generally reckless to not observe your opponent and how he can defeat you with their potentially better playing). I suggest switching then up to your usual playstyle after you take off one stock from them as you switching your playstyle abruptly can really catch your opponent off-guard.

Also don't ever, ever get downed and clowded by campers or spammers or any other style of players that are proud and ready to demoralize you because you couldn't stand up to them. This game is a progress and the more you advance, the more better you get. Learn to look into yourself and see what had you mess up. Put down those replays and watch them at least once.
It doesn't happen just by doing those fights everyday and having winner days or loser days: it's a journey. A magnificent journey.

I've also noticed that sometimes my technical playing has intimidated some players enough to even quit willingly on my face. So don't be afraid to show skill. Show what you truly are to them.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I have around a 62 win rate, because when I first got the game I went straight to online (Like an Idiot) and got my ass kicked a lot because my former main in Brawl (Meta Knight) Got nerfed a **** ton, and for good reasons, But it was extremely hard for me to get used to, and I constantly lost. Finally though after like 2-3 days of playing the game all day, I started playing Dedede and I have gotten really good with him, I have almost no losses with him currently and almost all Wins, same with Bowser Jr. My win loss won't move from 62 now, not up or down, so it looks like I'll have to wait for the Wii U version to get a better one

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I pretty much stopped after 100 matches with a 75% win rate (Just guess how many of the matches I won) due to me doing pretty much the same thing I did against CPUs with near identical results each time. Granted I do like the human experience in 1v1 matches, but online lag is the thing that kills me which is the reason I don't go on it anymore. Nowadays I just practice in Friends both locally and online.

I typically have a good rhythm going with :4shulk: and :4littlemac: when I played however, though I will attest that I met a handful of people who took care of my characters royally no matter what I did.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I've played 5 or 10 matches online and the lag is so bad I really don't want to anymore.

Granted, the level 9s are harder than they've ever been, so I've been having a ton of fun with those.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
My Win rate is down below 15% and I cannot begin to tell you how liberating it is. Now, if I encounter someone clearly better than I am, I don't feel bad about playing 6 or 7 matches against them in a row in order to learn from them since I am not preoccupied how each loss is going to affect my record. And every victory I do claim feels so much sweeter, as I am usually the eternal underdog. Dropping my win ratio down so low has been the best thing to happen in Smash 4 and has made me enjoy For Glory so much more.

As for fighting players who are really good with certain characters and have a very set series of moves they use over and over for victory, the best advice I can give is to go completely off the reservation. These players are used to playing against other people who know the "right" way to play each character and are trained on how to "properly" fight them. So start doing all sorts of crazy things they won't expect; use attacks you would never normally use with your fighter and employ erratic, unpredictable strategies with no real pattern. I can't say it will necessarily lead to victory (I still usually end up losing), but it puts them off their game and you can tell it makes them very uncomfortable. And that, for me anyway, is a kind of victory in and of itself. I personally like to use Pac-Man, because in my experience, no one in For Glory seems to know quite what to do when fighting him.

Last edited:

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
I feel like my problem is that I rarely ever play against other people. I tried online, but it seems every match I go into is laggy, so I can never time my moves right. As for friends, none of mine have the game, and probably won't until Christmas. So for about 99% of my time playing, I play against the computer, and I know that's also probably not helping me either.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
I'm a reaction spacing player based. With lag and no C-stick this is horrible. But i still play online so i can improve my mind game which i almost never developted before cuz of the 2 others. I have to admit with mind-game, i can place finisher at lower percent instead put my opponent at 160-200% or meteor/off stage like in brawl. My reactivity and spacing was developed cuz of lack of player vs player experience. I had the rule to play in special brawl in accelared x2 mod, no edge guard and no anticipation in playing ultra agressive.

I hate hyper defensive player, the matchup is boring. So i alway start with fox, he can't be camped, then i switch to lucina or marth (lucina most of time, because marth can't tipper very well without c-stick and lag).

Once i find a good opponent, i continue to play with him and don't really care about my ratio. But actually my ratio is 75%.

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
For Glory is just a flawed mode in general. I'll admit, Sakurai did have good intention in having a competitive online mode but it's so flawed I'm actually appalled someone could take For Glory any more serious than For Fun.

It's an unbalanced mosh-fest of Little Macs, Greninjas, and Shieks. It's ridiculous. FD is a cool stage and all but it's an extremely one sided stage if one person is spamming needles or water shurikens after they've went into panic mode.

I love playing as Captain Falcon, but his matchup against Shiek and Greninja on FD of all places is terrible.

It's not until I spend over 20 hours in the online mode that I realize just how much I dislike it.

This isn't even taking Nintendo's terrible Netcode into consideration.

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
Am I the only one who actually sees a variety of characters in FG? Saying that, I've never seen a DHD. In 300 games, never.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Am I the only one who actually sees a variety of characters in FG? Saying that, I've never seen a DHD. In 300 games, never.
Seriously?
Christ how?!

I have gone 50 matches seeing only Greninjas, Shieks, Little Macs, and Sonics.
It's been awhile since I've seen an oddball character. Even then, Falco is far from oddball.

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
I went through a phase of seeing Little Mac 7 times out of 10, but that was mostly early after launch where everybody was like "OMG JAB COMBO 20% KNOCKOUT PUNCH LOL GGWP". After a few days it died down. Granted I do see things like Greninja and T Link/Link more often than things like Luigi and Falco (rip), but nothing so mindbogglingly common as to the extent that others seem to experience.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Well I'm feeling the lack of fun right now, since I've just lost about 30 matches in a row tonight. The more determined I was not to let them get the better of me, the more flustered I got and the more I lost...

My win rate usually hovers between 53 and 57% (down to flat 50% now after my epic losing streak tonight)...even though I know that statistic really means nothing, I do get a bit hung up over it.

I think my main issue is just dealing with frustration when I lose, and probably my tendency to overcommit to attacks and perform them even when I know they won't work. I also catch myself using the same stale tactic over and over, but can never think of a way to mix it up...

I'd love to improve my rate to at least 75% but I'm not really sure how. I don't feel like I've gotten any better in the 400 or so "For Glory" matches I've done, and my efforts in practicing combos in Training Mode lately seem to have been pretty wasted judging by my epic losses tonight.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I don't suck at smash, but I always have the mentality that everyone I play with in For Glory is not my friend. I lose a stock, they taunt, I feel like they think they're better than me, or are trying to get in my head. (I guess it's working, right? haha) It makes me not want to lose a match to said person, because they might leave after winning one game, like a sore loser, with the mentality of "ok I won one match out of those 20, I'm better than him!".

Yeah, that's how I feel when I play For Glory, but that's just me. :l

I've actually seen a lot more Little Macs/some players switching into Little Mac. (Just to win?) It's honestly hard to fight Little Mac sometimes, very much due to the lag. You have to be on-point, he has very small windows where you can punish him, and his rolls are really fast. This is also present against some really defensive rollers I meet online, of whom I can't seem to catch. I'm good at reading rolls, but maybe it has to do with him mixing up his rolls with attacks and I run into them, oh and not to mention INPUT LAG!

Yeah, losing is tough, but you have to forget about it and just go into the next match, don't dwell on your losing matches, it just drains your morale. (I know this from playing League of Legends... >_>)

I haven't checked my winrate recently, but it's probably 60-70%, but only because I don't care for it as much as I did when I first hopped online in 1v1. I'll SD if I find someone with a horrible connection, I don't play my main, or like to switch my characters up for the fun of it, etc.

Apparently one of my friends has 100% winrate in 1v1 with Shulk, and I believe it because he's a really good Smash player, better than I could ever be. Kinda makes me jealous, lol.

Last edited:

DarkestMind

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4640-0353-2924
I think it onlye requires of a little effort, have fun and will to learn, learn mechanics, your character and the rival's character.
Pick a main, play tons with him so you can know it's weaknesses and strong side and know how to cover the weak points.
You'll figure this out the more you play with it and it's the same thing about the rival's character, the more you play the more you players encounter the more you learn about others character's tricks, moves weaknes etc.

And then you can take some time to check out competitive forums like this and learn about advanced techniques and/or mechanics of the game so For Glory mode gets funny and amazingly competitive (Sometimes lol).

Anyway Good luck you all, I'm not a pro tho I have 58% I'm average... or below but meh, I have fun with my Captain and Ganon.

Aldri

Smash Cadet
On a side note, it can also be slightly bad for my health. When me and my opponent are both our last stocks and we're both close to beating each other, I feel my heart starts to beat a bit faster and my fingers feel a little jittery, and I think it messes with my physical execution. To try and calm myself, I consume bottles of energy drinks like Powerade or Gatorade, but Idon't think its doing the trick at all, and someone told me it might actually be making the jitters worse. I dunno how to keep a cool head when the stakes are high in a game, the adrenaline just really gets to me somehow and I seek a way to put a halt to it. Happens on any Fighting Game I play online, not just Smash.
Same thing happens to me. A quicker heart rate and shaky hands is normal when getting worked up in games, but it sure is annoying. Try easing up on caffeine and energy drinks. Tons of sugar and caffeine is the opposite of what you want in that situation.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I tried For Glory once because I thought I needed to do it for a challenge, but I probably won't ever try it again or if I do it won't be for a very long time. I'm not very good and I don't want to get in the way of anyone looking for a serious match.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
i had abotu 75% until the other day i fought some crazy good yoshi/pit player and he stomped my ike i got salty and pulled out sheik won a few then ran across a really good marth afterwards and couldnt win out of 10 matchs so now im sitting on 71% lol and still mainless sadly

DarkestMind

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4640-0353-2924
I tried For Glory once because I thought I needed to do it for a challenge, but I probably won't ever try it again or if I do it won't be for a very long time. I'm not very good and I don't want to get in the way of anyone looking for a serious match.
You can't just stop playing FG just becasue you dont want to get into the way of someone looking for a serious match man, the whole point is having fun, I get the "I'm not very good part" it can be kinda frustrating sometimes but I think the only way to get better is to play and play, eventually you'll improve.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Honestly, this is such a lame gripe to have, but I get annoyed at people who feel the need to taunt when they win (especially if they only just barely squeak by with one). I know it's all in good fun, but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Ryusuta, my biggest gripe is when you accidentally kill yourself doing something stupid and they taunt.

Like...no. You had nothing to do with that. Stop it.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I'm at about 40 games played with a 90% win ratio, but I stopped playing because I keep winding up against Japanese players and the connection is horrendous. I am pretty sure I win because they fall off before I fall off.

Although they're basically free wins at this point, all I face online are Macs.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
You can't just stop playing FG just becasue you dont want to get into the way of someone looking for a serious match man, the whole point is having fun, I get the "I'm not very good part" it can be kinda frustrating sometimes but I think the only way to get better is to play and play, eventually you'll improve.
That's true, but for now I'll just play the other "for fun" mode if I wanna play online.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Personally, I refuse to play the game online on the 3ds. The connection on my end is very unstable, and I still can't adjust to the lack of C-stick, that I simply wait for the WiiU version to come out before I even consider tackling online matches. I feel taking a break from serious play truly helps in reinvigorating your passion. So anyone who is feeling disheartened, know that this game is more flexible. Take the time to do other things, like clearing Allstar mode, Smash Run, collecting trophies, and my favorite means of stress relief, Home Run Contest.

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Sometimes I die because I do my side special instead of my up special when I try to recover. Stupid thumbstick. Also, Falco's nerfs are, bleh.

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
For glory isn't suppost to be fun, For fun mode is suppost to be fun, For glory is to be the very best, that no one ever was. Unless if your in team battle.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
The best advice I can give on this is to just step back for a bit. Don't put pressure on yourself because of a couple losses. In order to get better you need to lose, challenge yourself. Research is also very fancy, it'll help you in ways you didn't know before.

But yeah, give yourself time to learn. Those battle wounds need to heal first

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
I've been doing better lately as I've learned my main Dedede's moves more thoroughly, but I still have a great deal to work on. My grab game needs work, as does my shorthopping and fast falling. I've not even really touched advanced techniques yet since I'm just not at that level yet, but I am improving bit by bit. I am a better player now than I was at launch, at the very least!

I really need to remember to save replays more so I can study what I do and what other human players do in a neutral environment rather than being in the heat of battle. Earlier I fought a guy a fair bit above my skill level and managed to pull out a few wins, but sadly I forgot to save any of the matches, win or lose. I learned from those matches, but since I forgot to save them I can't review them, which I regret.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So far, For Glory Mode has been positive for me. I'm doing well for my first serious Smash, even though i did play other Smash games and did well in those outside Melee, which I regret I didn't play. For Glory put me through some tough battles and because of it, I got 2nd place in my first ever Smash tournament in Chicago. (Side note, Smashers are very good people.) yes I took some tough losses. I tend to play late at night because their are really good japan players who are very good. They are very tough battles and I'm not going to lie it brought down my win rate. 65% to 58%, but it got me that much stronger as a player and when I played in the tournament, I felt I was well prepared.
100% agreed. Glad I'm not the only one who plays late into the night for that exact reason.

Also congrats on your placing!

For glory isn't suppost to be fun, For fun mode is suppost to be fun, For glory is to be the very best, that no one ever was. Unless if your in team battle.
I disagree. For Glory is just another way to practice for the only thing that does matter: Tournament.

Last edited:

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
I'm kinda happy with my current percentage of 55%, I just wish that
- i could fight more characters than :4sheik::4yoshi::4megaman::4dedede::4zss::4greninja::4pacman: about 90% of the 700 matches I've fought are these guys.

- whenever someone picks Lucina to counter mine they wouldn't spam counter 3 billion times

- and that i could fight someone who's name i can read/pronounce

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'm kinda happy with my current percentage of 55%, I just wish that
- i could fight more characters than :4sheik::4yoshi::4megaman::4dedede::4zss::4greninja::4pacman: about 90% of the 700 matches I've fought are these guys.
You mean to tell me you hardly encounter people who play :4littlemac: unlike everyone else? Lucky!
If I only never had to deal with him, :4link:, :4charizard: (Flare Blitz spammers), or :4ness:..

Top Bottom