• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I've kept my FG win rate at 44% or so for a long time on purpose. If it gets too high then I know I've been fighting too many people beneath my skill level

A good way to improve is to fight people only slightly better than you. When you do this, your winrate will also hover just below half.

zekses

Smash Rookie
To this date I haven't won in For Glory once :) Kinda hard starting when everyone online or offline has been playing for hundreds of hours

TheWorldWarrior

Smash Rookie
Oh I tried For Fun, I believe I got first in a battle, second in another, and progressively got worse until I got disheartened and just quit. But watching replays is a way I hadn't considered at all, which I should do. Thank you!

What kind of techniques should I practice? I don't know where to look for that either, sorry I'm asking...
Hey I know this is like 4 years late but reading through all of this I couldn't help but reply, albeit unnecessary.

When I started playing for glory I was dreadful, absolutely dreadful. I couldn't get a win to save my life. So i decided to go back to offline mode and went into practice mode. I started with big body characters (DK, Bowser, Rob, D3 and Ganon because of their slow frame data and over time you will find them to become incredibly easy to read.) and started by simply practicing the easiest comboes.

Practice your short hops, spacing and comboing. I strongly suggest you really start focussing on NOT rolling when it's not needed. For example; if you're face to face with your opponent, don't just roll behind them because you think it will give you an advantage, it can be reacted to.

Start with simple stuff like;
Jab 1 -> foreward tilt.
Jab 1 - foreward smash (50/50, meaning it can be avoided by jumping, airdodge etc. Depening on the combo. F.e this 50/50 can't be avoided by airdodging, only by jump because the first jab lifts them off the ground.)

For the rest I would suggest looking at players like MKLeo, Mr. E, possibly Zero's lucina. I always suggest looking at top level competetors not to emulate them, but to see how your character 'is supposed to be played.' (because it's always arguable and everyone has their own style).

But if you analyse those matches you'll be able to see what moves/options are favorable in certain situations and then try to apply it into your own plays. Again, don't try to emulate a top player because it simply won't work. You have to mold it into your own playstyle.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
I’m at my limit here, I’ve been playing smash 4 since 2014 (this is the first smash game I win) and my win rate is below 30%. I’ve tried everything: learning techs, watching guide upon guide, watching tournament play even saving replays. Yet I still lose constantly. Practice mode only does so much as teach me combos on a still CPU or one that always DI’s the same way.

I’ve tried out every single character but it ends up with the same result most of the time. Getting out-read and then juggled. I try to read my opponent only to get punished cause I messed up. I don’t know what to be looking for.
And sometimes It feels like I miss out grabs or attacks when they should’ve connected but passes completely through (I’ve grabbed on a shield once yet it didn’t Register). I find it impossible to predict the way they DI because each opponent is always changing it up (I can’t see a pattern).

It doesn’t help that people online are just disrespectful and teabag. Just gets me even more frustrated.

At this point I might as well give up playing, it’s not like I’m getting better at all. Sorry for whining, but this is 4 years worth of frustration.

D

Deleted member

Ive actually felt this way before to. The problem is is that you come across people that talk sh*t when people arent as good as them And its wrong. Ive had people beat me and after one time of beating me they would call me a 'loser' or 'USUCK' and 'To Easy'. Its like come on guys? We are supposed to be a friendly community. This is why people feel this way because people on for glory are so toxic...

(I also only have a 55.6% win ratio. So by no means a great player...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Your still a very decent player though. Guess it can’t be helped... shame the FGC has such a toxic reputation.

But there’s also the issue that im just not good lol

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
I have a win rate of 35. It's terrible. I always lose to the most idiotic patterns that I should punish, but my gamepad doesn’t even read up anymore, and half the buttons are stifled with input delay.
To say the least, I've become very bitter about my competitive preformance. I've played every character, but none of them are a permanent solution.
I went to Anther's Ladder, and that was the moment it started getting worse. I started losing 10 to 6 games in a row to completely uninitiated players with next to no fundamental skill.
Right now, I'm playing :4falco:, and I'm down to my last character. I'm starting to really hate this game, and my current life situation doesn’t make this any better. I feel like this game is slowly killing me. I'm plugging in hundreds of hours for nothing to be achieved.
I feel you on a lot of what you just said expect the life situation, I really hope it gets better soon.

But these are most of my problems also, I also use gamepad and my win-rate is below 30%

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
If you dont enjoy the game, I'd suggest playing something else. All fighting games with online play have toxic players. It takes a lot of time and effort to get good at the game. You will need to factor in movement/spacing, offensive/approach options, defensive/evasive options, baiting/punising and reading at all times. You also need to learn your characters pros/cons/tech and thier matchups. It's a lot of work to get good at the game, and if you aren't satisfied with it after 4 years... just move on, or try harder.

Last edited:

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
If you dont enjoy the game, I'd suggest playing something else. All fighting games with online play have toxic players. It takes a lot of time and effort to get good at the game. You will need to factor in movement/spacing, offensive/approach options, defensive/evasive options, baiting/punising and reading at all times. You also need to learn your characters pros/cons/tech and thier matchups. It's a lot of work to get good at the game, and if you aren't satisfied with it after 4 years... just move on, or try harder.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy the game, I really do like the other modes besides 1v1. But again, I do wanna get good. So odds are I’m still gonna go back and play the game on 1v1. It’s not like I’m not aware of the factors needed to factor in. It’s just I find it extremely difficult to execute them.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Ive actually felt this way before to. The problem is is that you come across people that talk sh*t when people arent as good as them And its wrong. Ive had people beat me and after one time of beating me they would call me a 'loser' or 'USUCK' and 'To Easy'. Its like come on guys? We are supposed to be a friendly community. This is why people feel this way because people on for glory are so toxic...

(I also only have a 55.6% win ratio. So by no means a great player...)
Your win rate is real good actually, that’s the dream for me

Hexin

Smash Rookie
Ugh my win rate is like 20% I pretty much only play rosa and feel like ive hit a wall. I can beat people who are bad but anyone who has decent handle on the game crushes me. It gets pretty frustrating but Im trying to get out of the habit of dash smashing and rolling because even though people complain about it, it is not getting wins for me. I wish there was an easier way to practice 1v1 that wasnt ranked. (Besides friends)

Firox

Smash Master
Ugh my win rate is like 20% I pretty much only play rosa and feel like ive hit a wall. I can beat people who are bad but anyone who has decent handle on the game crushes me. It gets pretty frustrating but Im trying to get out of the habit of dash smashing and rolling because even though people complain about it, it is not getting wins for me. I wish there was an easier way to practice 1v1 that wasnt ranked. (Besides friends)
There is. It's called vs CPU. Now, before ppl freak out about how bots play different from humans, hear me out. As much as humans differ from lvl 9's, there are a few advantages to practicing with them. Firstly, their unrealistic reflexes will help you to hone yours. If you can find moves and approaches that even they can't punish, then those will translate beautifully against a human player. Also, as much as ppl complain about the "bad habits" that CPUs can give, some humans can be even worse. You'll never find CPUs camping like trash in a corner all day, spamming like there's no tomorrow. There's lots of other examples, but my point is that if your win rate is that low, then we clearly have to sharpen up on the basics. Vs CPU is a good place to do that consistently by making your opponent whichever character gives you the most trouble.

Hexin

Smash Rookie
There is. It's called vs CPU. Now, before ppl freak out about how bots play different from humans, hear me out. As much as humans differ from lvl 9's, there are a few advantages to practicing with them. Firstly, their unrealistic reflexes will help you to hone yours. If you can find moves and approaches that even they can't punish, then those will translate beautifully against a human player. Also, as much as ppl complain about the "bad habits" that CPUs can give, some humans can be even worse. You'll never find CPUs camping like trash in a corner all day, spamming like there's no tomorrow. There's lots of other examples, but my point is that if your win rate is that low, then we clearly have to sharpen up on the basics. Vs CPU is a good place to do that consistently by making your opponent whichever character gives you the most trouble.
Thats pretty helpful actually, I gave up on CPUs a bit ago because it just seemed soooo much different from playing an actual person (plus the amount of people saying CPUs made you worse) but I guess getting beaten up by 80% of the people online doesnt help either, so Ill start playing them again, thanks:)

Firox

Smash Master
Thats pretty helpful actually, I gave up on CPUs a bit ago because it just seemed soooo much different from playing an actual person (plus the amount of people saying CPUs made you worse) but I guess getting beaten up by 80% of the people online doesnt help either, so Ill start playing them again, thanks:)
No problem. ;) Keep in mind that some AI's are smarter than others. I've found Mario, Inkling and Young Link to be pretty tough and they'll help you learn ways to get around projectile spam and the dreaded splat roller. If you want to practice combos with your given character, I'd recommend big bodies like DK and K rool. The lvl 9's will try to DI and air dodge so if you can get combos to land consistently on them, then it will help a lot vs human players.

Firox

Smash Master
Oh, sorry, and if we're talking about smash 4, I would still say that Mario is a solid lvl 9 with DK making a great punching bag.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
This is kind-of true. most humans end up going for the same combos, and attacks. cpus mix it up

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
CPUs mix it up? News for me. They are always super predictable, and the lvl 8 and 9 CPU straight up cheat by reading inputs.

Firox

Smash Master
CPUs mix it up? News for me. They are always super predictable, and the lvl 8 and 9 CPU straight up cheat by reading inputs.
Reading your inputs is exactly the point. Their reactions are as fast as physically possible, so you can test out various follow ups and approaches to see if they're punish-proof. If a CPU consistently escapes a given combo, then don't bother using it against a skilled human etc. Even if some can be predictable (and I assure you some really aren't, not all AIs are created equal) they can help sharpen reflexes and even teach some wicked edge guarding techniques. I'm not saying that humans aren't important to spar with, but for those that are having a hard time winning online, I'd think it more useful to train the fundamentals with a test dummy then getting their teeth kicked in repeatedly by a bunch of veteran players. Nobody ever learned very much lying face down on the floor.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Their reactions are as fast as physically possible
Actually no, they are not physically possible. I don't think CPUs are good to test combos. I mean, yes they are going to escape combos that are not true but they also are going to escape or react to things that a human being could not realistically react to unless with a read.

Firox

Smash Master
Actually no, they are not physically possible. I don't think CPUs are good to test combos. I mean, yes they are going to escape combos that are not true but they also are going to escape or react to things that a human being could not realistically react to unless with a read.
Firstly, when I say "physically possible", I'm referring to frame perfect responses. They can't cheat and throw a smash faster than you could with the same character, for example. As to whether such reactions are possible, maybe a human can't QUITE match that speed, but have you seen the pros go at it? They can be borderline inhuman. Just because you don't have those reflexes, doesn't mean its impossible. Either way, I'm simply saying that CPUs can be useful for practicing safe approaches and getting an idea of which combos are consistent. They certainly aren't an end-all training solution, but I dare say that a good lvl 9 is better than at least 30% of the player base right now (note some character AIs are better than others). It's worth considering for low rank players to at least get a solid handle on a character.

Also, one could argue that testing combos with humans online is inherently flawed due to the possible lag. I can't tell you have many times I've tried to land what should have easily been a true combo only for them to somehow manage an escape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom