• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

QQue

Smash Rookie
NNID
QQninja
Initially when I started FG my mindset was, "I'm going to win, I'm going to dominate!" That no way in hell worked for me whatsoever I lost, and lost horribly. 7 out of 10 games I would get bodied and this continue for days. At one point I just felt so discouraged I just started to make excuses to even play Smash, "I'm just too busy right now. (Browse Reddit for the whole day)." But after awhile I end up returning to Smash, but this time rather wanting to win I play wanting to improve. I would read up strategies, guides and watch tourney videos and try to implement them into my plays. Currently, I honestly don't even know what my record is in FG, but I honestly don't care because I know for sure I'm doing much better than I did before and I'm actually having fun. Even if I get bodied... >_>

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
I only play Team For Glory since I'm not that good at 1v1s, but for me, the most frustrating thing would either be:
  1. A player going only to those with high percentages, constantly fsmashing and usmashing, etc.
  2. A player that goes the same character as you. Since I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, this bothers me. Slightly. But only as my mains.
  3. A player that spams a move, such as Thoron or Charge Shot, and avoiding contact with any members of the opposing team. This doesn't bother me THAT much, but when the other teammate of that certain player gets in your way, that's what ticks me off.
  4. And finally, the last thing that I can think of from the top of my head would be those who try to dodge every attack. Of course, you can try to predict their next move, but your mind is mostly focused on you hitting them. Or at least my mind.
Yep, that's pretty much it. But I don't go total rage mode and flip over a table or something. I just ignore it and keep playing it. Or just leave the server and find a new/better one.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I like FG, my w/l is 45% and moving up (was 30% last week). Here are things I don't like and like.
  • The lag sometimes, eek.
  • When someone goes the same character as me due to saltiness/cockiness (its easy to tell if it's all in good fun or not)
  • Link/Tlink players who just spam, I respect good ones though.
  • Good megamans make me wanna kill myself and give them the win, and i have done it lol.
  • When I get a rad spike and do my longest taunt, only to eat a smash attack WHILE IM TAUNTING.
Things I like about FG:
  • Kirby mirror matches
  • Facing a villager who lets me swallow him and we play pocket games
  • Just jumping around instead of fighting
  • Facing someone you enjoy facing with no lag
  • Facing someone who is amazing and the feeling when you beat them
  • Landing that super combo
  • Facing MK, DK, or Sheik (so fun to play against)
  • Wrecking someone so hard they play salty (super aggressive/defensive)

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I like FG, my w/l is 45% and moving up (was 30% last week). Here are things I don't like and like.
  • The lag sometimes, eek.
  • When someone goes the same character as me due to saltiness/cockiness (its easy to tell if it's all in good fun or not)
  • Link/Tlink players who just spam, I respect good ones though.
  • Good megamans make me wanna kill myself and give them the win, and i have done it lol.
  • When I get a rad spike and do my longest taunt, only to eat a smash attack WHILE IM TAUNTING.
Things I like about FG:
  • Kirby mirror matches
  • Facing a villager who lets me swallow him and we play pocket games
  • Just jumping around instead of fighting
  • Facing someone you enjoy facing with no lag
  • Facing someone who is amazing and the feeling when you beat them
  • Landing that super combo
  • Facing MK, DK, or Sheik (so fun to play against)
  • Wrecking someone so hard they play salty (super aggressive/defensive)
I agree about playing against good Megaman players. I swear playing on FD or Omega stages is a nightmare against Megaman because you pretty much can't do ANYTHING, and it is even worse if you play characters with no projectiles or a reflector. The other day I literally got so pissed playing against a good Megaman that I just put my 3ds down mid match and just took a breather before I just took a break from playing for the rest of the day.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I've played more than a thousand For Glory games so far and I can remember maybe less than ten of which were actually with people I'd want to play with again. The Gloryhole is full of the worst sort of people I could go on all day listing them, it's constant, every single time I play it's the same thing, the same characters playing exactly the same way.

And if the people weren't bad enough, you've got the deal with it being Final Destination only because Sakurai hates competitive Smash, and there's always, even if visually imperceptible, an amount of lag to some degree, even if it's throwing so small an amount of frames that you can't tell other than the feeling.

But, it's not like I can play Melee or 64 online, so I still come back anyway because every time I think, "It'll be better this time."

Besides, it's not for fun. It's For Glory. The fun stays at the door.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I've played around 500 For Glory matches and I have not met a single Link who does more than camp the ledge and spam projectiles and jab whenever I come close. It doesn't help that most of the characters that I play as lack a lot of long ranged projectiles so I have a more difficult time approaching. Zeldas only use their specials, Fire when I'm far away, Nayru's love when I get close, Little Macs only use Smash attacks, and Bowsers use Bowser bomb like there's no tomorrow, plus, roll abuse is very common as well.

I have actually met a few good players that I had a lot of fun playing against who knew what they were doing (comboing me, using aerials and actually running or walking rather than rolling) but lag also becomes a factor in these matches. When I started playing For Glory, I sucked but now that I have actually had some practice, most people are easy to beat, except for Link he's like my Achilles Heel, and I only play it since I don't have anyone to play against locally who is willing to play Smash at a competitive level with me. I now have about a 75% win average, most of my losses were me playing characters that I am less familiar with, and while I feel good now that I'm actually winning, I wish that there was more of a ranking system so that I could play people who know what they are actually doing when they play.

The projectile abuse and roll abuse I can now counter as I have gained experience, but it's never fun playing those people. Also, while I am alright with the Final Destination stages, couldn't we get other neutral stages like Smashville or Battlefield so that characters like Little Mac will be used less and people will have more approaching options.

Ok, rant over, I'm glad to get that off of my chest somewhere.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
my win rate is like 40%. i know its been said a million times but people on for glory just seem to spam projectiles at me from the edge of the stage. then roll roll roll to the other end a repeat. if i block it i get grabbed. if i dont i get hit. if i jump over it then i get hit when they come after me in the air or they do an up-smash. also people on for glory just tend to play the same characters over and over again...

sometimes i get beaten so badly (which is like most of the time) that in the character select screen i change my name from "sorry :(" to "im bad :(" over and over again. i also pick sonic and kill myself as fast as i can when the match starts and do this process again and again until they leave.

Ausdon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ausdon
Yeah, I decided never to look at my for-glory stats again. On the 3DS version, my win-rate was super high, but when I started playing the Wii U version I had a hard time keeping it up at a solid 60%. I realized I'm not the best smash 4 player in the world (obviously), so I gave up on doing everything in my power to make it as high as I could. Originally I'd leave when I just barley got away with a win, and left when someone dominated me.

My mindset now is to ignore the stats and just play the best people possible, even if I lose. Even learning how to deal with super-annoying people seems worth it because there's ways to punish that play-style, even if you can't do so when just starting out. Offline matches are the ones that really count imo.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
my win rate is like 40%. i know its been said a million times but people on for glory just seem to spam projectiles at me from the edge of the stage. then roll roll roll to the other end a repeat. if i block it i get grabbed. if i dont i get hit. if i jump over it then i get hit when they come after me in the air or they do an up-smash. also people on for glory just tend to play the same characters over and over again...

sometimes i get beaten so badly (which is like most of the time) that in the character select screen i change my name from "sorry :(" to "im bad :(" over and over again. i also pick sonic and kill myself as fast as i can when the match starts and do this process again and again until they leave.
Remember dude, it's just a game. You should never play the game if you aren't having fun. A lil more practice will also help your confidence!

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Remember dude, it's just a game. You should never play the game if you aren't having fun. A lil more practice will also help your confidence!
and who am I supposed to practice against? the computer? I don't have anyone who I can play with on a regular basis. The only thing i have is 1v1 online. I would be fine with losing a lot, but what pushes me over the edge are people who just troll me all the time with stupid disrespect stuff (like switching to wii fit trainer, camping on the edge spamming crap at me, doing the same move over and over again as a joke, or even better...going olimar and throwing away all your pikmen and then fighting without them the whole match) and im just tired of it. so I just give up and let them win until they get bored and leave.

I really want to get better at this game...but getting pwnd all day isn't helping.
and yes i have asked for help getting better on SB, hasn't really gotten me very far yet

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
and who am I supposed to practice against? the computer? I don't have anyone who I can play with on a regular basis. The only thing i have is 1v1 online. I would be fine with losing a lot, but what pushes me over the edge are people who just troll me all the time with stupid disrespect stuff (like switching to wii fit trainer, camping on the edge spamming crap at me, doing the same move over and over again as a joke, or even better...going olimar and throwing away all your pikmen and then fighting without them the whole match) and im just tired of it. so I just give up and let them win until they get bored and leave.

I really want to get better at this game...but getting pwnd all day isn't helping.
and yes i have asked for help getting better on SB, hasn't really gotten me very far yet
I would suggest mastering beating level 9 computers. I would guess that 95% (totally made this number up) of the players on For Glory can do that. So this should be your bare minimum/prerequisite course. If you don't like the feeling of 1v1, you should try playing on teams. This can help your understanding of characters accelerate as well. Most people are going to be spamming, but it is your opportunity to figure out how to beat spam. Also if there is a spammable move that you can't figure out... pick that character, spam that move, and see how other people stop it. If they are stopping it, now you have an idea of how to stop it. If they are not stopping it...congratulations! You have just found your new character!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know how everyone calls it "Roll Glory" or whatever to all the "bad" players who just spam roll or whatever? Well, guys, that's not what I'm facing anymore. I've got a 40% win rate, and have had about 200 battles on the Wii U version...and as of late, I've only battled a few so-called "scrubs".

I've been fighting players who don't spam roll, who don't camp or spam, and don't fall for obvious tricks. These guys are able to combo me into oblivion, read and adapt to my attacks, and punish extremely well. I just fought a Diddy Kong who 2-stocked me with his crazy combos without rolling even once. This is not the For Glory all the veterans here describe. I mean, my main Charizard is an easy character to combo, but these combos last long enough that I can definitely tell they know what they're doing.

Is it because I'm on the Wii U version? Are there less "bad" players there because of the smaller user base?

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
You know how everyone calls it "Roll Glory" or whatever to all the "bad" players who just spam roll or whatever? Well, guys, that's not what I'm facing anymore. I've got a 40% win rate, and have had about 200 battles on the Wii U version...and as of late, I've only battled a few so-called "scrubs".

I've been fighting players who don't spam roll, who don't camp or spam, and don't fall for obvious tricks. These guys are able to combo me into oblivion, read and adapt to my attacks, and punish extremely well. I just fought a Diddy Kong who 2-stocked me with his crazy combos without rolling even once. This is not the For Glory all the veterans here describe. I mean, my main Charizard is an easy character to combo, but these combos last long enough that I can definitely tell they know what they're doing.

Is it because I'm on the Wii U version? Are there less "bad" players there because of the smaller user base?
hey i feel ya man...i have over 1000 games and i get pwnd non-stop. these mlg tryhards r 3much5me. lol

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
I play Captain Falcon. For some reason the game loves to pit me against Japanese Little Macs. They are all the same, I can't do anything. I have pretty bad lag due to my terrible Australian Wifi, maybe I should get a LAN adapter or something.

Plus I am a pretty bad player. I like Smash but i just find it frustrating going on For Glory, I can't do the things I have practiced due to the input lag.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can practice to get better at Smash in general? I am always second best when it comes to my group of friends and I want to change that xD. I would go to public events and stuff but I don't have as much time due to being in high school and such, so my only training options are to play alone at home or get rekked by my friend.

Oak~

Smash Rookie

lets set up a regular sesh dude

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071

Or make friends on here who are good, then practice with them. That way you can actually commnuicate on which characters you want to try to fight, and you know, get better.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Or make friends on here who are good, then practice with them. That way you can actually commnuicate on which characters you want to try to fight, and you know, get better.
i've already done that.

http://smashboards.com/threads/looking-for-somebody-to-help-me-improve-at-smash.387177/

three people have all played with me and pointed out things here and there which is nice but its inconsistent when they can play

ya i would love that :) especially since u main link :D

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
i've already done that.

http://smashboards.com/threads/looking-for-somebody-to-help-me-improve-at-smash.387177/

three people have all played with me, trying to help me get better. but most of them just play with me and don't give a lot of advice. its still nice to play with them though. but it doesn't really feel like they're teaching me anything, it just feels like im playing with somebody better than me.

ya i would love that :) especially since u main link :D
add me on steam or skype...which ever u perfer

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Got an 80 percent win rate on for glory. My best advice to those of you who are struggling is first stock. The easiest way to win is just taking the first stock from your opponent without getting hit too much, then you can slack off the second stock. I can't tell you how many matches I've 0 Percented someone first stock for them to just run off and kill themselves second stock it's all about keeping momentum, if you can make your opponent feel bad/disheartened you'll have an incredibly easy time scoring the W.

I'd say if you're having trouble stick with one character, learn all their moves and their match ups so you can't be suprised by anything in For Glory. Practice makes perfect don't be discouraged by losses I had around a 60 percent win rate on 3DS and its shot up 20 percent on wiiu.

Tldr: keep up your momentum, make your opponent play the game you want to win. And practice practice practice, you can only get better.

link2702

Smash Champion
I would suggest mastering beating level 9 computers. I would guess that 95% (totally made this number up) of the players on For Glory can do that. So this should be your bare minimum/prerequisite course. If you don't like the feeling of 1v1, you should try playing on teams. This can help your understanding of characters accelerate as well. Most people are going to be spamming, but it is your opportunity to figure out how to beat spam. Also if there is a spammable move that you can't figure out... pick that character, spam that move, and see how other people stop it. If they are stopping it, now you have an idea of how to stop it. If they are not stopping it...congratulations! You have just found your new character!
cpu's are terrible training opponents. His best bet is to just face people from here, and ask for any advice on how to improve. that will be the quickest most reliable way for any player to improve. Even with how much smarter cpu's in 4 are, they're still just that, cpu players, They'll never play quite the same as a real skilled player would.

Disgaea D2

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueDisgaeaD2
When I play For Glory, I main Mr G&W every time, I lose most of the time against spammers and other good players (Reasons - Other Player is a spammer or good, I'm bad, or my main is bad). My current W/L ratio is a 40% to 50%. Any tips against spammers with G&W? Name on Smash Wii U is BlueDisgaeaD2.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
cpu's are terrible training opponents. His best bet is to just face people from here, and ask for any advice on how to improve. that will be the quickest most reliable way for any player to improve. Even with how much smarter cpu's in 4 are, they're still just that, cpu players, They'll never play quite the same as a real skilled player would.
But it seems like he is having absolutely no success at all. I think beating the CPU will help him build his confidence . Remember, I said he should be able to beat them at the minimum.

Mac the Writer

Smash Rookie
I wanted to make a new main for me to play with. So far, I`ve been good with Fox, so I decided to give him a try in For Glory.

And I absolutely sucked. Even my older mains, Bowser, Villager and Dr. Mario, I started to suck, because every player I go through just use Captain Falcon and Little Mac, and it`s an absolute nightmare. And don't even get me started with Yoshi.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Even though I'm only getting marginally better, this mindset's starting to fade with me.
I mean, yeah, I still get seriously embarrassed against :4falcon::4link::4tlink::4robinm:.

But other characters are just staring to... well, impress me. I faced a :4morton: this morning who was stringing everything together like water. I'm still wondering how the hell he did it.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Well, I stopped in For Glory for a bit because of lag. I discovered the issue was my USB ethernet adapter had gone bad, which I replaced. I still get lag every now and then, but it's very much playable. Win some lose some, I don't care, it's fun.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
On the 3DS version, I'm hovering around the 55%-60% win rate thing in 1v1s, after more than 1000 or so matches. Yet, as I play more matches, I notice more and more how weak I am as a player after fighting some better people. Personally, I do not want to even know what my win rate'll be once I get the Wii U version. I lose against keepaway players, aggressive players, counterpicks, everything as of late. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Even though lag in online matches can factor into some matches, I still have no one to blame but myself.

What's even worse is that I feel as if some players are making fun of me for not even being on their level. Which isn't helped by the fact that they taunt me a lot during the match to add insult to injury (I could be wrong for assuming so, but I dunno....). I want to be decent, or hopefully, "good" at this game. But at this rate I'm going, I'm never going to make any progress. I'm not implying that I want to give up, but I want to at least know what I need to work on. Could it be my playstyle? My character? My execution? I'd sure like to know why I'm bad. :/

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
On the 3DS version, I'm hovering around the 55%-60% win rate thing in 1v1s, after more than 1000 or so matches. Yet, as I play more matches, I notice more and more how weak I am as a player after fighting some better people. Personally, I do not want to even know what my win rate'll be once I get the Wii U version. I lose against keepaway players, aggressive players, counterpicks, everything as of late. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Even though lag in online matches can factor into some matches, I still have no one to blame but myself.

What's even worse is that I feel as if some players are making fun of me for not even being on their level. Which isn't helped by the fact that they taunt me a lot during the match to add insult to injury (I could be wrong for assuming so, but I dunno....). I want to be decent, or hopefully, "good" at this game. But at this rate I'm going, I'm never going to make any progress. I'm not implying that I want to give up, but I want to at least know what I need to work on. Could it be my playstyle? My character? My execution? I'd sure like to know why I'm bad. :/
If you have always been playing like this, then you need to practice against people you can ask for advice on improving. If you have been playing worse than you used to, ironically what you need to do is stop playing smash for a few days or maybe even a week and when you play again you will see you are playing the way you used to.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
If you have always been playing like this, then you need to practice against people you can ask for advice on improving. If you have been playing worse than you used to, ironically what you need to do is stop playing smash for a few days or maybe even a week and when you play again you will see you are playing the way you used to.
I see, thank you for the advice, Jamil. I believe the former applies the most to my current situation, so I'll see if I can find a good opponent here to spar with. Hopefully a good Robin or Kirby player so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong with my characters.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I main Kirby and maybe I can help you. I am not exactly a pro, but I can beat the most people on For Glory with him. Are you a european?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727

You can also record some of your matches and post them in your character's respective video thread. It's a great way to have other players who have specialized in your main give you pointers on how to improve. Who knows, you could have discovered a strategy against a specific tactic that others hadn't discovered before and improve another player's game in the process.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
Hi, I main Kirby and maybe I can help you. I am not exactly a pro, but I can beat the most people on For Glory with him. Are you a european?
I'm American, living somewhere in TX. Is my location too much trouble?
You can also record some of your matches and post them in your character's respective video thread. It's a great way to have other players who have specialized in your main give you pointers on how to improve. Who knows, you could have discovered a strategy against a specific tactic that others hadn't discovered before and improve another player's game in the process.
Thing is, I do not have a way to record things on 3DS at the moment. Maybe once I get something of that nature for 3DS or possibly Wii U, I'll try and make good use of this option.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Oh no. I just experienced a new type of Mac (for me at least). The guy just kept spamming dash attack, on the stage, near the end of the stage, ever where. Guess what?! I LOST!

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I'm American, living somewhere in TX. Is my location too much trouble?

Thing is, I do not have a way to record things on 3DS at the moment. Maybe once I get something of that nature for 3DS or possibly Wii U, I'll try and make good use of this option.
What I've seen as a work around currently is saving your battles in a replay, and then using a camcorder for off-screen viewing. It's probably the easiest way to record your 3DS battles without purchasing an expensive rig. It's not the nicest quality, but we're here for coaching and not to be entertained. You can save the kick ass stuff for the crowds. :smirk:

Rinkario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rinkario253
3DS FC
3780-9024-1899
So one day I got bored so I decided to play some for glory matches. At first I was doing well up until I fought this one guy using Pac-Man. For me, that was probably the most frustrating moment in my life. I couldn't win a single match with this guy and because of my stupid pride I kept going on and on and the salt kept building up. I admit that guy was very solid and I know I'm not really good at Smash but that was one day I was really feeling salty on FG.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
So one day I got bored so I decided to play some for glory matches. At first I was doing well up until I fought this one guy using Pac-Man. For me, that was probably the most frustrating moment in my life. I couldn't win a single match with this guy and because of my stupid pride I kept going on and on and the salt kept building up. I admit that guy was very solid and I know I'm not really good at Smash but that was one day I was really feeling salty on FG.
Continuing to play him was the right move - if he was consistently beating you and stuck around, that's a great opportunity to learn! However, you also gotta learn how to cut back on the salt (and pride) since it probably made you play thoughtlessly. It's a delicate balance.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Continuing to play him was the right move - if he was consistently beating you and stuck around, that's a great opportunity to learn! However, you also gotta learn how to cut back on the salt (and pride) since it probably made you play thoughtlessly. It's a delicate balance.
Yeah, for some being salty can help them to win by making them want to win more,but for most people the salt will make them play worse. Playing while angry will help you when it comes to doing damage if you are using a rushdown character,but when you have to get the kill you will find yourself missing your kill moves and you won't be paying attention to how your opponent reacts making you unable to make reads or learn what you need to do to stop getting caught by the same thing every time.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Okay, I really, really need a crash course in not being a total coward by constantly camping in midair. Problem is, whenever I let up the camp for even a moment and actually try to attack, I get zero-to-death'd.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The more I lose, the more I learn from my matches. Like the OP says, it's just a game and I'm only in it for the fun.

Top Bottom