• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To "I suck at smash and it isn't fun any more in For Glory"

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
I'm kinda happy with my current percentage of 55%, I just wish that
- i could fight more characters than :4sheik::4yoshi::4megaman::4dedede::4zss::4greninja::4pacman: about 90% of the 700 matches I've fought are these guys.

- whenever someone picks Lucina to counter mine they wouldn't spam counter 3 billion times

- and that i could fight someone who's name i can read/pronounce

Maybe you should try and find some friend codes with people instead

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
You mean to tell me you hardly encounter people who play :4littlemac: unlike everyone else? Lucky!

I actually enjoy the very rare :4littlemac: players, apparently people from Japan/Australia just don't like him too much
If I only never had to deal with him, :4link:, :4charizard: (Flare Blitz spammers), or :4ness:..
Seriously **** guys on team battles who do nothing but spam flare blitz for easy kills, other than that i never have a problem with any of those guys (i use link and ness a lot so I'm used to their attacks)

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I'm kinda happy with my current percentage of 55%, I just wish that
- i could fight more characters than :4sheik::4yoshi::4megaman::4dedede::4zss::4greninja::4pacman: about 90% of the 700 matches I've fought are these guys.
TripleD, really? I wish I saw him more often. I personally think I suck at the ditto. Out of 1000ish games, I've fought 5-6 at the very most. Everything else is fairly common for me as well, unsurprisingly.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
My online For Glory win rate is hovering around ~65%, so I'm not doing too badly, but there are definitely some fights where I'm getting curb stomped.

I genuinely want to improve, so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude with those matches and remind myself that there's still something to learn from them. Against experienced players, I'm lucky if I can land more than a few hits against them, which tells me I'm being too direct in the way I approach them. I'm being easily punished, which tells me I'm not paying enough attention to spacing and rolling too much.

It does often feel like I'm learning less from those types of fights than against someone who is much closer in terms of skill, though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
My online For Glory win rate is hovering around ~65%, so I'm not doing too badly, but there are definitely some fights where I'm getting curb stomped.

I genuinely want to improve, so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude with those matches and remind myself that there's still something to learn from them. Against experienced players, I'm lucky if I can land more than a few hits against them, which tells me I'm being too direct in the way I approach them. I'm being easily punished, which tells me I'm not paying enough attention to spacing and rolling too much.

It does often feel like I'm learning less from those types of fights than against someone who is much closer in terms of skill, though.
Try to find the "Who WAS that" thread and find the people who curbstomped you, even if only to ask for feedback. They will be able to show/tell you the flaws in your gameplan that they were exploiting.

Mow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4763-0850
it varies alot for me sometimes its fun somtimes it is really frustrating, yesterday I had tons of fun was pretty much this one guy, today got too many way too good people that would only play me once. I played almost no brawl and I get this diddy that bops me, wish I could of played him more cause I just don't really know what to do against him, I know you can catch his banana but wasn't really trying to then while reflecting on the match, I thought maybe next time I can catch his banana. plus no matching making. I just want to play somebody over and over to test things against a somewhat consistent skill lvl, rather than noob to pro from game to game. If I win alot I usaully try other characters, but still play my hardest. I just need to fight a slightly above average players really. Iam still learning noob stuff like how to punish if you know the guy is gonna roll and what not.

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
99% of the time I'm able to wreck spammers with :4ganondorf:. So I have nothing to complain about.

Deitylight

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deitylight
Where's the "I suck at this game, I might need help from others" sub forums at?

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
99% of the time I'm able to wreck spammers with :4ganondorf:. So I have nothing to complain about.
I wish I had a decent local Ganon to play against. They'd teach me to stop roll spamming real quickly.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I wish I had a decent local Ganon to play against. They'd teach me to stop roll spamming real quickly.
Heck yeah. Rolling along a wizkick a few times, getting knocked offstage, and being sent to your doom by an up or down air will do that to ya. XD

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
:4kirby: main here with a win percent at 72% with over 1000 games played. For Glory is wonderful because it has basically improved my Smash ability by allowing me to play many different people of varying skill level, it has taught me that in order to win I need to out-think my opponent, play them with mind games with also having a degree of skill to pull off victories. I'm not amazing but I have seen a major improvement in my game play (I fought my way up from a 50% win percent.)

My advice is to be predictably unpredictable, keep your opponents guessing with fake-outs, rolls, attacks, jumps or even ducking if possible, do unconventional things. Sometimes I'll pretend to keep using the same approaches and strategies in order to fool an opponent into thinking I have a pattern, only to break that pattern with an inhale or something unexpected. This works very well with counter-spammers as they assume I will come in for another attack, only to catch them off guard and land a serious beat down on them. ( I've punished some cocky counters hard with my trusty hammer.)

I think this idea is also reflected in my character choice, I have yet to run into another :4kirby: main and most people here hardly seems to see him very often. So most people may not even be use to fighting Kirby, which works out in my advantage.

As for my experiences online, I've been kind of blessed because I fight all sorts of different characters constantly, I usually never get the same characters in a row. I do see a fair bit of :4littlemac::rosalina:and :4yoshi: but that just adds to the fun and I usually do see players switching to :4littlemac:&:4bowser: in order to try to squeak a win off of me (despite Kirby having a fair number of advantages against the dastardly duo.)

Also, just saying but did anybody notice that :rosalina:is the Japanese equivalent to :4littlemac: for Westerners?

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
My main issue is that the people who beat me only stay for 1 game. While the people I beat hard tend to stay longer. I tend to stay at least 2 games with anyone, to follow the common tournament standard "2 out of 3". And because the first game is for knowing your opponent and their style. Of course, exception of the rule is when the match is too laggy for comfort.

And speaking of internet issues. I hate it when the match disconnects just when it starts to get interesting/Im winning. Depriving me from my revenge on the guy that was owning me is... too cruel.

Besides that, For Glory is quite fun and the joy of winning and the "saltyness" of losing are part of being alive. I dont envy the guy who wins all the time.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I have about 55% win rate. I main Kirby and I like to think I'm ok with him but still not polished and as great as I can be. I've been playing smash since 64 but never played the series seriously until recently. I don't think I have the time and dedication to get spectacular. I have other priorities in my life right now and things I'd rather dedicate time to being better at outside of the game. I do want to still improve what I can during my available time. As soon as I figure it out in my mind what's happening in the game, I'll improve even more.

I at least play better than in brawl which is good.

Losing doesn't bother me but losing with Kirby always hurts a little as I have a strong emotional attachment to the franchise and play smash mostly because it's connection to the Kirby franchise, honestly. Haha.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wonder if it's ideal to really have just one main for Smash as I met this Diddy-player who knew his character so well, he just curbstomped me hard and had me in awe as I studied him. The guy knew an appropriate move to every situation, regarding approaching, lag, comboing and whatnot.

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
I had a steady win rate of 60% until:
:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::4sheik::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:

happened.

Seriously **** Rosaluma.
I had problems fighting her as well, but then I decided to start targeting Luma more often rather then going straight for Rosalina and lo and behold it made a huge difference. That extra time without Luma can do wonders in a battle.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wonder if it's ideal to really have just one main for Smash as I met this Diddy-player who knew his character so well, he just curbstomped me hard and had me in awe as I studied him. The guy knew an appropriate move to every situation, regarding approaching, lag, comboing and whatnot.
Typically, yes. Unless you're somebody like Little Mac who gets hard countered by certain characters.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Anyone else been owning 1v1 with jiggs lately? Idk what it is, but my rest punishes have been working amazingly lately. lol

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Can I just say that I never ever EVER met a Rosalina online so far? Why is she so dangerous?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Can I just say that I never ever EVER met a Rosalina online so far? Why is she so dangerous?
She's looking to be one of the best characters so far, and I believe she has a few strong matchups against certain characters. I don't have a ton of trouble with her myself, but I may of just not fought one of the truly good ones.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
For glory mode seems to help me when it comes to picking a main, but I just can't win against sheik

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
My main issue is that the people who beat me only stay for 1 game. While the people I beat hard tend to stay longer. I tend to stay at least 2 games with anyone, to follow the common tournament standard "2 out of 3". And because the first game is for knowing your opponent and their style. Of course, exception of the rule is when the match is too laggy for comfort.

And speaking of internet issues. I hate it when the match disconnects just when it starts to get interesting/Im winning. Depriving me from my revenge on the guy that was owning me is... too cruel.

Besides that, For Glory is quite fun and the joy of winning and the "saltyness" of losing are part of being alive. I dont envy the guy who wins all the time.
Odd. I would expect the OPPOSITE to be the case - people staying because they're winning, and leaving because they're losing.

ATLOWKihara

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one that struggles with:4duckhunt: and the constant Fspecial spam? Seriously, there have been a few matches where it's just "roll to end of stage, spam Fspecial, smash attack?" Like, really, I just can't deal with it for some reason. Although this may be because I haven't used Palutena for the battles, but there's still the constant rolling.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
Are you serious? Or are you just exaggerating lol! I've seen just about every character used online. It seems many people haven't fought against certain characters, which is pretty weird, and some people have fought against the same characters over and over. #smashlogic

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am actually ahead (of my expectations) regarding my records. I am too scared to play and ruin my decent win-ratio (:4jigglypuff:), I am honestly just waiting for the Wii U version so that I can do teams with my partner. We work better together than we do alone.

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
Its not that I don't like For Glory, its just that there are too many people maining Little Mac. Sure, there is some slight diversity, but I'm tired of facing the same fighter almost every single time. I also noticed that Greninja and Zero Suit Samus are fairly common.

Last edited:

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
At about 55% win rate. At least it's going positive!
Trying to play this like melee is not working so great, though. While I'm trying to dash around and short hop aerial or grab to start a combo, 3/4 of the time the opponent is just rolling around everywhere and throwing out projectiles and smash attacks, especially Rosalinas and Little Macs. I keep saying to myself, annoyed: "Play me in Melee or PM and try that strategy, it'll work real well!"
But I should really stop taking it so seriously, that just makes me play worse. And... it would be hilarious if I magically got into a match of Melee after each 3ds match, complete with facecam for reaction. That would be amazing.

Rojo Espada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rojo_Espada
3DS FC
4313-0371-7210
I always get incredibly frustrated when I keep losing over and over. A few times I stick with the same person for a lot of matches because they're good.
But after enough beatings you leave the other guy and then you question your skill.

Sucks, man. ; ~;
I don't do you well :4link: ol' buddy.

Jinx129

Smash Ace
NNID
Jinx129
3DS FC
3368-3418-9942
@ Rojo Espada Rojo Espada Well no doubt! How can you concentrate? Come out from under Peach's dress!

Seriously though, I think it's hard to learn anything when you're way outmatched. And as much as I love taunt parties, I get really frustrated when someone, who so obviously is a much better player, taunts after the kill. For those of us who are trying to get better and stick it out because supposedly that's how you get better, it feels...well...kinda humiliating. But I guess it's just a game.

Anyway, Rojo, I have like a 14% win ratio in For Glory. Yeah, Ima stay away from that horrid place for the most part. I'm guessing you could take me! If you want to Smash, let me know. I'm just working my way through All-Star Mode with the whole roster at all three levels. I'll be here a while. :)

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Are you serious? Or are you just exaggerating lol! I've seen just about every character used online. It seems many people haven't fought against certain characters, which is pretty weird, and some people have fought against the same characters over and over. #smashlogic
I am dead serious. I meet Little Macs, Sheiks, Robins and Nesses all the time. Never ever have I met a Rosalina.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Actually I haven't seen too many Rosalinas myself either. TONS of Shulks and Little Macs though, and a good amount of Dedede, Ganondorf, Greninja, and Zero Suit Samus.

Dantesdeception

Smash Rookie
My issue are spammers. All I get are dash attack spammers that never let me reach the ground. I feel like i'm pretty fair with Marth, but once i'm knocked in the air, my only choice is to counter, which they stand there and attack me when i'm done. For once, i'd like to fight a player who doesn't spam an attack so much that i wan't to throw my 3ds. This has led to many rage quits. Where are the people with skill?

Top Bottom