• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
IMG_20151108_160212_610.jpg

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
GGs Koiba Koiba . I'll try to upload those matches for critiquing purposes.
Yea ggs~

That lag... made me sad ;v;

Rip boost grabs

And I saw that you used vision alot when you were Shulk in our matches. It might be because of lag or something like that but if you overuse vision it'll become really predictable especially since visions a really long move and can get punished quite easily. I really saw you using it when you were landing or after getting thrown.

If you get thrown offstage I suggest you go jump mode and fly over me and do some aerials or get people off guard and go for a gimp. Onstage your best priority is really dependent on you foe's char and their reading ability.

I also suggest some more art usage. Your primary art was speed, and a little bit of shield and buster. I mean, speed's cool and all, but the other arts have some good use.

Jump art looks like it's only used for recovery but it has like, this hidden layer on it. It has great movement options and you can combo with it. You can also tomahawk aerials.

Shield art is pretty good to and has a hidden layer lol. You can use it at high percents and be heavier than Bowser. Or you can use it at low percents to just wall the opponent out. Their moves will do pathetic damage and you won't go flying at all. You also get less hitstun in this art.

Buster. This art is so stupid lol. You do insane damage and isn't that bad to start the match off with because you'll do stupidly high percents. There's also specific buster combos too because of it's low knockback

Smash art is... well... meh. You do no shield damage so it's even easier to punish Shulk. You become as light as Lucina which can be a bad thing at times. And his frame data don't really complement it that well. You can do smash art when you respond and the opponent is at high percents but... that's it.

You also hung onto the ledge multiple times. Although I didn't punish you, you're most likely to get punished by other players because there's no invincibility.

Hope this helped~

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yea ggs~

That lag... made me sad ;v;

Rip boost grabs

And I saw that you used vision alot when you were Shulk in our matches. It might be because of lag or something like that but if you overuse vision it'll become really predictable especially since visions a really long move and can get punished quite easily. I really saw you using it when you were landing or after getting thrown.

If you get thrown offstage I suggest you go jump mode and fly over me and do some aerials or get people off guard and go for a gimp. Onstage your best priority is really dependent on you foe's char and their reading ability.

I also suggest some more art usage. Your primary art was speed, and a little bit of shield and buster. I mean, speed's cool and all, but the other arts have some good use.

Jump art looks like it's only used for recovery but it has like, this hidden layer on it. It has great movement options and you can combo with it. You can also tomahawk aerials.

Shield art is pretty good to and has a hidden layer lol. You can use it at high percents and be heavier than Bowser. Or you can use it at low percents to just wall the opponent out. Their moves will do pathetic damage and you won't go flying at all. You also get less hitstun in this art.

Buster. This art is so stupid lol. You do insane damage and isn't that bad to start the match off with because you'll do stupidly high percents. There's also specific buster combos too because of it's low knockback

Smash art is... well... meh. You do no shield damage so it's even easier to punish Shulk. You become as light as Lucina which can be a bad thing at times. And his frame data don't really complement it that well. You can do smash art when you respond and the opponent is at high percents but... that's it.

You also hung onto the ledge multiple times. Although I didn't punish you, you're most likely to get punished by other players because there's no invincibility.

Hope this helped~
A vision of someone spamming vision?

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
So is Shield art actually viable? I've been told it's one of the worst arts you can use since you can get combo'd easier and it nerfs your recovery pretty bad offstage.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Yeah, I kinda have a problem with that even without lag.

Hope this helped~
And this helped. Thanks!
So is Shield art actually viable? I've been told it's one of the worst arts you can use since you can get combo'd easier and it nerfs your recovery pretty bad offstage.
It's a good art but not at 0 percent. Most good Shulks switch out of it offstage, and being combo'd is why it's better at high percents.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm starting to feel like I am better with Link than I am with Marth. I stay alive longer with Link and get more KO's with him. o.o

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I'm starting to feel like I am better with Link than I am with Marth. I stay alive longer with Link and get more KO's with him. o.o
Well he is heavier than Marth. As far as KO power, Marth has more but has to land tippers to do so. KOing with Link is a lot easier especially when you have rage.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Naw gurl shield isn't bad

The less hitstun actually makes you punish some more stuff. You can even punish Bowser's fsmash on hit at low percents.

And when your offstage you can just cancel it and use jump art

Worst art is probably smash

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Naw gurl shield isn't bad

The less hitstun actually makes you punish some more stuff. You can even punish Bowser's fsmash on hit at low percents.

And when your offstage you can just cancel it and use jump art

Worst art is probably smash
I see that makes sense. Thanks for the info :bee:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
The discussion of Monado Arts called me...

Don't discount Smash. It definitely has drawbacks, but most of the time it looks bad because people use it wrong. Usually, Shulks tend to get really aggressive with Smash, which is a bad thing. You need to play it safe, bait your opponent to do something stupid, then capitalize. If you approach, you'll get walled. But Smash makes even your tilts deadly. Even visioning a tilt can KO at some percents. Also, it's great for edgeguarding. Finally, a big one: it keeps you out of Sheiks main combos at low percents. Sheik's 50/50 is nullified. That 0.5x damage nerf hurts a bit, though.

Shield also tends to get misused, but it works great. Surviving is good, but it's useless if you camp the edges of the stage in Shield... That's suicide... If there's one thing to avoid in Shield, it's getting grabbed. If you happen to, cancel the art immediately. (Ness may or may not be a special case... lol, BThrow.) Sometimes Shield is counterproductive if your damage gets too high. When you're up there, better just alternate between Jump and Speed to play keep away.

Buster is good, as Koiba said. However, I do not recommend it when the foe is 0%. The KB is low enough that they often can act right out of a hit, then turn the tables. I'd say the very earliest to use it is 30%, unless you really need to play catch-up, in which case you better play your best.

You mention Jump without bringing up the insane gimping power?!

Finally, do not get in the mentality of "X is the worst art." Not true in the least. However, you should recognize that some arts are bad in particular MUs. For example, Shield is a bit lame against Ness, since it makes you that much easier to grab and B-Throw, which not even Shield can help you survive. Buster is very risky against Falcon, since it makes those strings so much worse to eat.

In other news, got 6th place (tie for 5th) out of 16 in yesterday's tournament! I used Shulk and Robin all the way through. Almost beat the 2nd place winner who knocked me out, and managed to take 1 stock off the No. 1 player's Sheik, while playing Shulk. Fourth place winner was a good friend of mine, I actually beat him somewhat consistently with Robin.

In some friendlies afterward, I beat the champ's ZSS with Shulk, so that was a highlight too. ^.^

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Moydow Moydow Good games! Sorry about that, my 3DS died in the middle of the match, didn't even notice it was flashing LOL. Whoopsie :$ I'll call it quits there for now though. Despite a few rough patches at the start that was pretty lag less, so that's good! That was just fun though! I think at was the most fun i've had paying with you so far, too many things to mention that was just hilarious to me. Like always, let's play again sometime!

I don't bash myself, I'm just stating what the reality is.
You think it's the reality because you're looking at it in a negative way. You're not going to notice the little things you do, that separates you from the bad and good players with that kind of mentality. You may have this kind of mentality in your every day life about everything, but if you plan to play this game competitively you have to look at it from anoher angle

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
It's more the game than you really. As much as I like the game, Awakening doesn't exactly lend itself well to strategy imo since the majority of the maps are big-*** open spaces and the enemy army has a tendency to just have all their units rush at you. So since you're outnumbered most of the time and there's often not a good way to make use of the map to make up for your force being smaller, you kinda have to play paralouges and extra maps in order to strengthen your units enough to level the playing field. You can at least try to keep the number of extra maps you play to a minimum, but yeah you gotta do at least a few during the course of the game.
Ehh...not really. I've played Awakening way too many times, and honestly it doesn't really start getting bad about zerg rushing on open maps until sometime in the Valm arc. You don't need to do the extra maps (in my latest run I saved them for later training but then sort of forgot about them); you just need to know how to train your units, since Lunatic in particular doesn't lend itself well to certain strategies.
Lunatic is for people who know what they're doing. There's a really large gap between Lunatic and Hard, and so if you don't know how Lunatic works you're going to have a really bad time. If you still want to try Lunatic, I'd honestly suggest trying Casual mode first to get a feel for it, then trying Classic afterwards, Also, there's strategies online for early game (~prologue to five, which is one of the hardest parts of the game) if you want a guide.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Yeah guys the whole "believe in yourself/have confidence in yourself" thing is not appealing to me at all. Attitude is not a replacement for skill. And even when I am feeling pretty good it doesn't change my performance really. I want to have something to base my confidence on, not be confident for no reason.

It's also not really for a lack of trying I would think. I play the game plenty, read up on what I can, have watched a video or two, posted a few videos for critiques, etc. The problem is that I seem to be unable to learn past a basic point and lack the ability to figure things out past a certain point.
Sound like we're on the same boat then ! I feel the same, I played and read a lot. I avoid FG and use the Skype/Discord characters chats most of the time (Anther's when I can't find someone) to play. I don't have a scene anywhere near me though. (**** France)
Confidence seems pretty useless to me if you've never done something worthy before. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just too stupid to play this game. I always was a pessimist so it's hard to completly change my mindset anyways.
We should play some time, so that you'll at least know you're better than someone. x)

Nah

Smash Champion
Sound like we're on the same boat then ! I feel the same, I played and read a lot. I avoid FG and use the Skype/Discord characters chats most of the time (Anther's when I can't find someone) to play. I don't have a scene anywhere near me though. (**** France)
Confidence seems pretty useless to me if you've never done something worthy before. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just too stupid to play this game. I always was a pessimist so it's hard to completly change my mindset anyways.
We should play some time, so that you'll at least know you're better than someone. x)
Sure, we could play sometime.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
would it hurt you to post something longer than two words?

I mean you could have taken this and ran with it like "Not God, he's too kool for skool" or Not God, he is too cool to be a nerd" ect. ect.

@Raziek has already put you in hot water for spam and I don't want to see you get banned for spamming

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
would it hurt you to post something longer than two words?

I mean you could have taken this and ran with it like "Not God, he's too kool for skool" or Not God, he is too cool to be a nerd" ect. ect.

@Raziek has already put you in hot water for spam and I don't want to see you get banned for spamming
Well God isn't the type of man to be joked about. If people have a problem with God's name not being in some kind of joke, then this fine.

Top Bottom