• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It would seem as though we have reached an impasse in our relationship, good sir.

The latter option I will agree to, though. :3
Of the other games he mentioned, I couldn't get into Earthbound, and while I haven't played The Wonderful 101, what I have seen of it didn't grab my interest. Super Metroid is good, but I can't not recommend Golden Sun - those games deserve more love in my opinion.
You do need to play both for the full experience though (if only so you can experience the soul-crushing pain of spending an hour entering a 260-letter password, only to make a single mistake that forces you to spend another half an hour double-checking the entire thing to find that single error :p)

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Of the other games he mentioned, I couldn't get into Earthbound, and while I haven't played The Wonderful 101, what I have seen of it didn't grab my interest. Super Metroid is good, but I can't not recommend Golden Sun - those games deserve more love in my opinion.
You do need to play both for the full experience though (if only so you can experience the soul-crushing pain of spending an hour entering a 260-letter password, only to make a single mistake that forces you to spend another half an hour double-checking the entire thing to find that single error :p)
I loved the first two Golden Sun games. The third one was good, but it was a bit lacking in the puzzle and dungeon department. Especially compared to the previous 2.

I hope they make a 4th one. You don't have THAT ending and leave it at that.

Last edited:

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
Kids names? Seeing that I adored my F!MU X Chrom run, I've considered naming my daughter and son (if I ever have kids) Lucina and Morgan respectively. Of course, other names that I've thought about are Robin, Seth, and Ike for boys and Mia, Eirika, and Lyn for girls.

Fantastic news, everyone! The Paper Mario TTYD leak was confirmed fake! Now, if you will excuse me...
And now I'm a sad panda... :c

Was expecting it to be fake, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm looking back to the first pages. So many memories... ;_; @Hong was Lunadis back then.
I had forgotten I was initially pretty indifferent to Robin, haha.

Some posts were scary accurate.
I already mentioned in multiple other threads that I could possibly see Sakurai going with the My Unit to represent FE13 if he absolutely does not want to cut Ike and thinks Chrom is way too similar to the FE characters we have already received in Smash Bros.

Reasons for this include that out of the three main protagonists for FE13, My Unit has the biggest contrasts both in appearance and ability wise in comparison to the Smash Bros. FE trio (Marth, Roy, and Ike).

Marth could plausibly be made to look similar to Lucina (his FE13 re-design already does this) and Ike could be made to look like Chrom (Ike already has a native outfit that covers the whole completely bare arm thing, and the character designer for FE13 said he wanted to make a re-design of FE10 Ike, of which probably would have ended up using Chrom's model).

By having My Unit in as well, the main protagonist trio of FE13 would be there in spirit.

The biggest obstacle I thought to including My Unit was that the character had no defined name, gender, or appearance. Yet with the inclusion of the Villager, that throws that out the window.

I think of the three FE13 main protagonists, the My Unit would probably be the best received by far due to his/her strong contrasts with FE characters that have already been in Smash Bros., as opposed to "just another blue-haired swordsman".

Sakurai himself is a very big fan of the FE series, so keep in mind he may be in tune with cynicism about the "FE cycle" (replacing a series veteran with the latest hero).

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
top 5 3DS games
Smash 4
FEA
Monster Hunter 4
Pokemon X/OR
BlazBlue
Devil Survivor Overclocked

anyhows i got me 450 club nintendo points and I have no idea what 3ds games or merch to spend it on

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I have two specific names in mind for my children:

The boy will be Isaac. Yes, that one.
The girl will be Raena.

This is of course assuming my eventual partner is on board with the idea.

D

Deleted member

The kids that I'll never have would be (ideally speaking, ie. 1 boy, 1 girl) Salem and Tara.

Those are best names.

But yeah I'm never having children.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
top 5 3DS games
Smash 4
FEA
Monster Hunter 4
Pokemon X/OR
BlazBlue
Devil Survivor Overclocked

anyhows i got me 450 club nintendo points and I have no idea what 3ds games or merch to spend it on
all thses likes and not a single suggestion SMH

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
US Club Nintendo has so many more games than over here ;-;

anyway, from what's on offer there, I'd go for:
Golden Sun (doesn't look like the second one is there though)
Super Metroid
Link to the Past
F-Zero X
Paper Mario

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Super Metroid
Link to the Past
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
thanks for the suggestion but as my profile description says i'm too poor for a wii u

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
all thses likes and not a single suggestion SMH
I would suggest using your coins to get Harmoknight if your into rhythm games. It's made by Game Freak and it even has some bonus songs that are from Pokemon. It's def a fun game from what I've played and quite charming too. ^w^

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Golden Sun to anyone, unless you're really curious about playing Isaac's game.
The way the game proceeds with the storyline doesn't make any sense, THE storyline itself isn't anything extraordinary, and it's void of character interaction.
And no, that excuse for a plot twist isn't going to save it, moslty so because it makes no sense at all
The puzzles are tasteless (Should I even call that a puzzle?) and I'm not even going to comment on the graphics :v I'd have liked it way more if it was the old fashioned 2D than a distorted "3D".
The only value I give to Golden Sun is for nostagia feels, but I consider it a pretty bad and bland game, and the fact it's a GBA game is no excuse :v I've played better snes games.
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a bit more better, though, still not that much.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Golden Sun to anyone, unless you're really curious about playing Isaac's game.
The way the game proceeds with the storyline doesn't make any sense, THE storyline itself isn't anything extraordinary, and it's void of character interaction.
And no, that excuse for a plot twist isn't going to save it, moslty so because it makes no sense at all
The puzzles are tasteless (Should I even call that a puzzle?) and I'm not even going to comment on the graphics :v I'd have liked it way more if it was the old fashioned 2D than a distorted "3D".
The only value I give to Golden Sun is for nostagia feels, but I consider it a pretty bad and bland game, and the fact it's a GBA game is no excuse :v I've played better snes games.
...Is it possible for people to have exactly opposite opinions on the same thing?

:231:

Elezir

...Is it possible for people to have exactly opposite opinions on the same thing?

:231:
Of course :v
That was only my opinion.
I sounded a bit too harsh there, but it's because I had too much deception when I played it a second time.

Personally, I wouldn't recommed it to anyone, but eh.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh yeah, forgot to mention it earlier, but it's my birthday today. :seuss:

And also my two year anniversary of getting Fire Emblem Awakening. :estatic:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
The storyline wasn't exactly ground-breaking, but it did the job and kept me interested enough across the full 50-60 hours or so.
I found the puzzles good - they made you think, but weren't overly challenging either.
I thought the graphics were as good as could be expected from the GBA - you can't really fit that much into a screen that is only as wide as the 3DS' is tall (the GBA is 240px wide, the 3DS is 240px tall).
I personally consider Dark Dawn a step down from the GBA titles in terms of quality.

The main highlight for me was the Djinn, and how they factored into the class and combat systems. I used to spend ages mixing them around to find the best setup for Isaac with 99% Megiddo equipment :p

They're not faultless, though - I did find that they (particularly the first one) got a bit grind-heavy towards the end, depending on if/how under levelled you were (there seems to be sort of an absolute minimum level you need to be at for the final bosses, below which you have basically no chance against them). Also, psynergy attacks basically become useless at higher levels, and the only attacks worth using are physical attacks and summons.

Overall I'd consider the two games my favourite GBA titles, and possibly even in my top 10 favourite games of all - which for me is a strong endorsement, considering I normally don't like this sort of game (I could never get into Final Fantasy, and that genre in general).

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FALSE SENSE!!!!!!!! :happysheep::kirby::happysheep::kirby::happysheep::kirby:

I truly hope you had a fantastic day full of good food, company and of course, presents. :?: ^w^

Last edited:

Elezir

Happy Birthday, dear.:happysheep:

The storyline wasn't exactly ground-breaking, but it did the job and kept me interested enough across the full 50-60 hours or so.
I found the puzzles good - they made you think, but weren't overly challenging either.
I thought the graphics were as good as could be expected from the GBA - you can't really fit that much into a screen that is only as wide as the 3DS' is tall (the GBA is 240px wide, the 3DS is 240px tall).
I personally consider Dark Dawn a step down from the GBA titles in terms of quality.

The main highlight for me was the Djinn, and how they factored into the class and combat systems. I used to spend ages mixing them around to find the best setup for Isaac with 99% Megiddo equipment :p

They're not faultless, though - I did find that they (particularly the first one) got a bit grind-heavy towards the end, depending on if/how under levelled you were (there seems to be sort of an absolute minimum level you need to be at for the final bosses, below which you have basically no chance against them). Also, psynergy attacks basically become useless at higher levels, and the only attacks worth using are physical attacks and summons.

Overall I'd consider the two games my favourite GBA titles, and possibly even in my top 10 favourite games of all - which for me is a strong endorsement, considering I normally don't like this sort of game (I could never get into Final Fantasy, and that genre in general).
Honestly, the character interaction and estabelishment is so little it makes me sad, because it had some potential. This game relies too heavily on exposition for my taste, and most of it doesn't even make sense. The game progression is bad too. There's no reason to, say, help Ivan at start of the game other than triggering a completely arbitary event flag to continue through that bridge. Actually, I think Camelot must love broken bridges.
That introduction is terrible. It doesn't estabilish any special character, doesn't make you care about none of them, just drags around, has some painfully obvious plot blockades for absolutely no reason (what the hell is the problem with those random boulders randomly appearing from nowhere?)
Kraden is probably the most stupid scholar I've ever seem in my life, but the game expects you to take him seriously, because, c'mon:
Oh, remember when that sanctum coughed up a boulder that "killed" members of our family? Well! Let's enter this forbidden place and mess around inside it! Surely, nothing bad can come out of it if bunch of kids and a scholar who should know better mess around with ancient artifacts that already caused a tragedy. What was the point of that trap inside it, anyway? Oh, wait, are these elemental gems, important for the equilibry of the world, and obviously placed there for a reason? Well, let's take them! Just 'cause! Oh, hey, look: the guys who beat two kids to the death some moments ago just to look like villains for no reason at all, and another guy who should've died just...a few minutes ago appeared. What was his name again?
Why couldn't these guy get the stars themselves? They have one guy who can teleport around, for god's sake! Why take "hostages" to make two guys hop around to pick the damn stones?
Why couldn't that teleporting guy just get the Mars star before running?
Why do I need to collect the stars again, if just holding the mars one is enough to spoil the "bad guys" plan?
Shouldn't that big one eyed stone know the real fate of the world if the lighthouses aren't lit? Why is it basically lying to the player? To deliberately make the player do something stupid?
Also, what are the Djinn's roles in the story? It's brought up one time, and then they don't exist to the plot anymore.
Why all these "Yes" and "No" options when they do absolutely nothing D:
No, really, saying 'No' six time to the first Djinn nets you this:

WHY GAME
THEN DON'T GIVE ME THE OPTION

These are only some examples as to why I can't like this game story.

I know, some people may see it as details, but as the story goes on, they just keep accumulating:drflip: Stuff that doesn't make sense unless every character there is a moron.
For me, almost all the puzzles in this game can be resumed to "push this, push that", in a way or another.:sadsheep: My most remarkable memory of Golden Sun are the pushable pillars.

The class based Djinn system was interesting, though.

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but that's it.
I just keep noticing stuff in the game that bothers me.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It's ok, I'm sure they'll re-release it sometime, I mean it was one of the most popular game cube games.
Popularity hasn't helped quite so much so far. Of the top ten most popular GCN games (by sales, admittedly) only 2 have been re-released. TTYD is at #12.

That said they keep redoing N64 titles so maybe we'll see something with the NX.
I'm somewhere in the middle on this one.

The story was serviceable, though not groundbreaking; the characters were competent, if not astonishing, and the puzzles were effective, if not head-scratching. The Djinn were the high point of combat and eventually the only part of it that mattered; mixing and matching for the various effects was a load of fun at the time. And the graphics were solid for the GBA; some of the later enemies and summons were especially fun.

The two games were by far some of the best new-IP RPG work the system had. It was for the GBA much like Bravely Default was for the 3DS (although in my opinion BD is the superior game to the lot). But it also had a lot of flaws; especially in how the story didn't really offer much of a new world or break any new ground, which makes the details somewhat forgettable. Even now all I really remember are Lighthouses and maybe some minor spoiler-y details.

As it stands I'm leaning more into #TeamMoydow than #TeamElezir, but I'm leaning while I'm standing on the borderline.

I haven't yet gotten around to my copy of Dark Dawn, so I can't pass judgement on it yet. I'll probably go scrounge up my copies of Golden Sun and Lost Age from wherever they are and do a run of all three some weekend I have off, then get back on this.

These are only some examples as to why I can't like this game story.
[EDIT]: That all said I am forced to agree with just about every point here. Serviceable story doesn't save it from wading chest-deep into Plot Is God territory.

I wonder if any of these points were explained elsewhere...but admittedly I'm not hopeful. And even if it is, you shouldn't be forced to mine a wiki just to get a few nuggets of Explainium that should have been available in the first place, so no brownie points for the writers.

Still a fun game, just adjusts the angle of my leaning a bit.

Happy bday homie.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I've never met anyone who dislikes Golden Sun, are you human?

Elezir

I've never met anyone who dislikes Golden Sun, are you human?
:sadsheep:
Hey, it's a matter of opinion. I do remember seeing one LP that shared my thoughts exactly, though.
I can't recall where though, will post here when I find it.

Honestly, I cannot see the appeal of Golden Sun.:urg: I'm sorry.

I still find Isaac's design cute, and that enough reason for wanting him in smash , imo.:sheep:

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
:sadsheep:
Hey, it's a matter of opinion. I do remember seeing one LP that shared my thoughts exactly, though.
I can't recall where though, will post here when I find it.

Honestly, I cannot see the appeal of Golden Sun.:urg: I'm sorry.

I still find Isaac's design cute, and that enough reason for wanting him in smash , imo.:sheep:
Oh no, I was joking.
Though seriously you are the first person I ever met to not like it.
I will admit it hasn't aged well.

Top Bottom