• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
You actually tried to enjoy it!?

How about collecting junk in DK64?
Of course I tried to enjoy it. When my folks would pay money to rent me a game, I would play it and be thankful for it.

Speaking of which, someone actually bought DK64 for me back in the day. I played it through because I would have felt horrible otherwise.

And I ended up feeling a different kind of horrible from sitting through that game.:4dk:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I have been summoned.

I've never played Golden Sun. I was considering getting it and Paper Mario with my tokens if I don't have enough for the poster set I want (which would make me sad). I do want to hit it eventually, but it'll be a while. Same with Paper Mario, though it's slightly more priority. And Bravely Default. And the FF franchise in general. And Chrono Trigger. And a ton of other RPGs because despite being a fan of the genre and its conventions, I honestly haven't played too many RPGs.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I tried to like Golden Sun, but it's incredibly boring after playing over an hour; doesn't really help that it has random encounters, which I absolutely loathe.

But that's just my opinion. :nervous:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Is it a crime that I don't really care for any of the characters birthdays in Awakening? :lol: I mean, if I'm playing the game and it just so happens to be a character's B-day, then cool. I guess I'm just not as connected to the characters as most fans are. :ohwell:

It's been interesting reading the different view points people have with Golden Sun. As for me? I've hardly scratched the surface of the game, so I know nothing much from a personal experience.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Best part about Golden Sun was the normal battle theme. On some days, it was the only motivation I needed to play the game.

Shaymikyu

Is it a crime that I don't really care for any of the characters birthdays in Awakening? :lol: I mean, if I'm playing the game and it just so happens to be a character's B-day, then cool. I guess I'm just not as connected to the characters as most fans are. :ohwell:

It's been interesting reading the different view points people have with Golden Sun. As for me? I've hardly scratched the surface of the game, so I know nothing much from a personal experience.
Morgan's my favorite character and I can't for the life of me remember when his birthday is, so no, you're not alone.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Still at the expo. Got myself a translated copy of the Super Famicom FE3 that plays on the SNES.

Winning.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No game is for everyone. To say GS isn't for you is perfectly fine, but to say it's a bad game is selling it short. It can be a bit dry at the beginning, granted, but RPGs are always an investment; it's not inherently some game you can just pick up and play, but that certainly doesn't mean there is no payoff. If you're genuinely interested in trying it, at least give it a few hours before making your mind up. It's like a book, it might be slow to start, but if you put in the time more often than not you'll find yourself immersed and enticed.

I'm not going to pretend it's a perfect game (then again a perfect game is ultimately subjective) but I will say what I say about all games, try to value it for what it is instead of begrudge it for what its not. The narrative and characterization might be textbook RPG affair, but the general consensus is the gameplay (the battle system and the puzzles) and the atmosphere (visuals, music, design) excel. I once heard someone say GS is like if Zelda were an RPG, and while I don't 100% agree with that, I can definitely see where some of the parallels are. And really, if you're going to care more about the narrative and characterization than gameplay, why not just read a book or watch a movie? Those elements aren't unimportant, but they're rarely the priority of a game, especially with Nintendo.

Regardless, give it a fair shake, go in with an open mind, invest an appropriate amount of time into the game to really know what it's capable of, keep in mind when it was made and what it was made for, and then come to whatever conclusion you want to, but at least it will be an educated conclusion. Remember that even if you don't get much out of a game, that doesn't necessarily make it a bad game.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Doesn't help that it rubs Awakening into one's face more than it already is.

Even if we knew every birthday for every single Fire Emblem character, it would still be annoying IMO. Awakening just happened to take things a step further by encouraging dating-sim-esque behaviour.

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
I was going to use Robin as a secondary, but didn't go all the way through as he didn't roll my style.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think the only one who actually cares about that sort of thing is Soulless, and he kind of worships Nah anyway.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993

Even if I did or didn't care for the characters, I'm really just terrible with remembering people's birthdays in general. :estatic:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
I know I said I wasn't going to continue this discussion, but...

And really, if you're going to care more about the narrative and characterization than gameplay, why not just read a book or watch a movie? Those elements aren't unimportant, but they're rarely the priority of a game, especially with Nintendo.
:054:
Then the genre rpg shouldn't exist by any means, if you can read a story via a book or watching a movie.
Transform GS in a adventure/puzzle game and the problem is gone.
The thing is: Golden Sun tries to sell itself as a RPG. It tries to have a story. People tried to write a story for it, even if I consider it to be bad, actually, it has more words than Metal Gear. Of course I'm going to care about it, because my care in RPG's lay, principally, in the story. If I wanted a puzzle game, or an adventure game, I wouldn't be looking here.
I prioritize storyline over gameplay aspects, principally in older games. Even more so because Golden Sun's gameplay isn't anything special.
Personally, I don't consider the battle system to be awesome: It's the old turn-based fight with random enemies and Djinns as a little twist. Actually, there's no reason not to spam Djinns the entire game, killing much of it's need for actual strategy.
Most puzzles didn't faze me, but eh, my opinion. I give points for them trying to to get psynergy as a way to resolve puzzles, but most of these stuff weren't practical (The rope puzzles, for example. Couldn't you just buy a rope?).
I do love the battle moments, though. I think it looks pretty, even if I overral don't like 3D feel of the game.

Finally, I'm just trying to express my opinion that this game is too overrated for it's actual contents and why I think that. I don't hate it, per se, even if I think it's bad. I gave time to analize it's contents, even though I got bored within 2 hours of the game, trying to find something that would make me say "It's good, I recommend it for X reason" but I couldn't find anything of the sort. It was particulary disappointing for me, because as a kid I liked the game, but I couldn't understand the story for not being able to read English at the time. When I played it a second time, it was just disheartning.

So, no, saying that I should stop caring, or putting the gameplay as a more important aspect just because Camelot can't write anything better is no excuse for me.

Can't we just kill this topic now? I regret ever bringing it up now.:sadsheep:I honestly apologize for starting to ramble on it rather unnecessary on Moydow's list of games.

P.S. I can't believe I actually attracted people from the Isaac support thread just because of that.:urg:
and I have a lingering feeling it was your fault @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy :roll:

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

I think the only one who actually cares about that sort of thing is Soulless, and he kind of worships Nah anyway.
Yeah, honestly, outside of fan art and the like, I don't see many people get vocal about the birthdays. It's more an endearing little thing in the game that gives you a little bonus in terms of items and stuff.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, do you ever get the feeling that there is a reason why we are all here on the Robin thread? Like there is a......
Purpose?
:4robinm::4lucina::4robinf::4marth::4myfriends:

Shaymikyu

Hey guys, do you ever get the feeling that there is a reason why we are all here on the Robin thread? Like there is a......
Purpose?
:4robinm::4lucina::4robinf::4marth::4myfriends:
It's because we're all connected by invisible ties. We already established this.:4diddy:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The only character's birthday I remember is Lucina (20 April), because it's the anniversary of the release of FE1, and of the FE series as a whole.

I know that every child's birthday (except Morgan) matches up with the Japanese release dates of each game in the series, but for the most part I can't remember which game goes with which child, or what those dates are.

D

Deleted member

Yeah Nah (for me) is an extraordinary case in that her personality and backstory are extremely relatable to my personality and "life story" and so on.

Her personality has basically everything for which I hold the utmost respect too.

Hence I think she's the best thing ever.

But I'm one of those people that becomes very attached to fictional characters (particularly ones I can relate to).

Mostly because I don't have any irl friends or people I'm close to.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Yeah Nah (for me) is an extraordinary case in that her personality and backstory are extremely relatable to my personality and "life story" and so on.

Her personality has basically everything for which I hold the utmost respect too.

Hence I think she's the best thing ever.

But I'm one of those people that becomes very attached to fictional characters (particularly ones I can relate to).

Mostly because I don't have any irl friends or people I'm close to.
Ahhhhhhhh! That's so cute! Don't worry, I've known plenty of people (including myself) who just fall in love with fictional characters. I mean just look at how cute these three are!

D

Deleted member

Ahhhhhhhh! That's so cute! Don't worry, I've known plenty of people (including myself) who just fall in love with fictional characters. I mean just look at how cute these three are!

I know right?

THEY'RE SO ADORABLE.

[collapse=TOO CUTE; MY HEART CAN'T]
28580560_m.png
26502815.jpg
[/collapse]

MANAKETES ARE TOO ADORABLE TO HANDLE.

MAXIMUM HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG ACHIEVED.

*Dies*

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I know I said I wasn't going to continue this discussion, but...

:054:
Then the genre rpg shouldn't exist by any means, if you can read a story via a book or watching a movie.
Transform GS in a adventure/puzzle game and the problem is gone.
The thing is: Golden Sun tries to sell itself as a RPG. It tries to have a story. People tried to write a story for it, even if I consider it to be bad, actually, it has more words than Metal Gear. Of course I'm going to care about it, because my care in RPG's lay, principally, in the story. If I wanted a puzzle game, or an adventure game, I wouldn't be looking here.
I prioritize storyline over gameplay aspects, principally in older games. Even more so because Golden Sun's gameplay isn't anything special.
Personally, I don't consider the battle system to be awesome: It's the old turn-based fight with random enemies and Djinns as a little twist. Actually, there's no reason not to spam Djinns the entire game, killing much of it's need for actual strategy.
Most puzzles didn't faze me, but eh, my opinion. I give points for them trying to to get psynergy as a way to resolve puzzles, but most of these stuff weren't practical (The rope puzzles, for example. Couldn't you just buy a rope?).
I do love the battle moments, though. I think it looks pretty, even if I overral don't like 3D feel of the game.

Finally, I'm just trying to express my opinion that this game is too overrated for it's actual contents and why I think that. I don't hate it, per se, even if I think it's bad. I gave time to analize it's contents, even though I got bored within 2 hours of the game, trying to find something that would make me say "It's good, I recommend it for X reason" but I couldn't find anything of the sort. It was particulary disappointing for me, because as a kid I liked the game, but I couldn't understand the story for not being able to read English at the time. When I played it a second time, it was just disheartning.

So, no, saying that I should stop caring, or putting the gameplay as a more important aspect just because Camelot can't write anything better is no excuse for me.

Can't we just kill this topic now? I regret ever bringing it up now.:sadsheep:I honestly apologize for starting to ramble on it rather unnecessary on Moydow's list of games.

P.S. I can't believe I actually attracted people from the Isaac support thread just because of that.:urg:
and I have a lingering feeling it was your fault @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy :roll:
:lol:

The Isaac thread was pretty dead, though. Thanks for helping me bring it back. :awesome:

Hong

The Strongest
The Fire Emblem series arrangement was my favourite arrangement until I found this:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I honestly think it was a perfectly viable discussion, in your defense, and not a decision I'd regret or ask you to. Golden Sun is beloved, but that should not inadvertently make it a sacred cow any more than any other game.

That stated, the conversation is beginning to repeat itself, and all opinions seem to have been laid out and are equally justified in their own fashions. I'm all good leaving it where it is.

We still homies.

Also in fairness:
The Isaac thread was pretty dead, though. Thanks for helping me bring it back. :awesome:
So some good came of it regardless.
I think.

I'm really just terrible with remembering people's birthdays in general. :estatic:
Preach.

Yeah, honestly, outside of fan art and the like, I don't see many people get vocal about the birthdays. It's more an endearing little thing in the game that gives you a little bonus in terms of items and stuff.
That's about what I've seen too. Personally if someone brings it up I post one pic and say happy bday. But in-game, the extra stuff is always a plus, so there I love it.

Also since I've been on a cute animals kick recently have another hedgehog.
[collapse="With shades no less"]
e1156bd06b68192826b61e20dff5a67e.jpg

[/collapse]
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
hnnng.png

Learned a new trick, thank you.

Also I agree fully.

Particular hnng points to Nowi's victory "hmph," bonus hnng points in manakete class to get the little swoop.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Done with the expo. Got a translated version of Sword of Seals.

And then made all my money back by winning the 40-man tournament with solo :4robinf:

Won.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Done with the expo. Got a translated version of Sword of Seals.

And then made all my money back by winning the 40-man tournament with solo :4robinf:

Won.
Looks like someone here had a pretty amazing day. Congrats! You make us proud.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Not trying to start something, but do any of you guys ever get pissed off by this waifu/husbando crap?

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Not trying to start something, but do any of you guys ever get pissed off by this waifu/husbando crap?
Most of the time, people are just joking around with waifu/husbando. It's just a character they like. But when they use it to express that they're...in love, for lack of better words, with that that character than I suppose it's somewhat odd(?) Nobody recognizes the Fire Emblem series as just "waifu simulator games". Not even Awakening, the game closest to that, is never seriously called that. Don't let it bother you

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Not trying to start something, but do any of you guys ever get pissed off by this waifu/husbando crap? I mean, Fire Emblem is much, much more than just that, and Awakening in particular. It's a series that spans 13 games and counting.
It pisses me off that people take stuff like that so seriously!

Weeman

Smash Crusader
ZeldaMaster ZeldaMaster In all seriousness though, it's a matter of personal taste, some people love the shipping part of Awakening a lot more than others, what's wrong with that?
I would suggest to not take it so seriously, unless you want to end up like Soul Bl- i mean "you know who"

Last edited:
Top Bottom