• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Honestly, I cannot see the appeal of Golden Sun.:urg: I'm sorry.
We're still homies. It's cool.

Much as I liked it, I'll concede that most everything Golden Sun did, others did better. Hence why I'm fencewarming.

It's a like benchwarming with the world's worst wedgie. Not recommended.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
:sadsheep:
Hey, it's a matter of opinion. I do remember seeing one LP that shared my thoughts exactly, though.
I can't recall where though, will post here when I find it.

Honestly, I cannot see the appeal of Golden Sun.:urg: I'm sorry.

I still find Isaac's design cute, and that enough reason for wanting him in smash , imo.:sheep:
Fear not, Elezir, for you are not alone in regards to your opinion on the matter of Golden Sun. I just can't see the appeal of Golden Sun, even after playing it on the Wii U VC. I guess it's just not for me I suppose, even though my favourite genre is RPG's. From what I can tell, it seems like a good game but it's difficult for me to enjoy for some reason or another. Not sure why. :ohwell:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
On the subject of Golden Sun, I tried plenty of times getting into the first game and I think I made it pretty far in (not sure up to which point as I haven't played the game in a long time), and at times it was fun, but despite my expectation of simply getting an alright RPG, I was disappointed. The lack of a decent direction constantly made me get stuck in the game, which made me bored, and even when progressing, I was often just having a dull time. I like the concept behind Djinns and I didn't mind the simple plot (after all, I think Awakening has a terrible story, but I still like the game fine), but I could never fully get into it. It was by no means a terrible game, but considering its great reception, it let me down. Maybe I should give it a go another time like Final Fantasy Tactics, but I wouldn't count on that happening in a long time. With all that said, I'd still love to see Isaac playable in Smash, as I feel he could be a lot of fun to play as.
Also, happy birth anniversary false

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Greetings everyone c:

I came back from a tournament a little while ago. Didn't enter the main event due to showing up late, but I managed to try out the side event of 4v4. I was tempted to go Robin since last time I did it, it was a money match where my team won.

However my team had the wonderful idea of going all Falcon, which went really smoothly. There were 6 whole teams and we 2-0'd every team doing crazy Falcon stuff.

Sadly, the TO doesn't want to run anymore amiibo events since there's not a lot of interest in them apparently. Though I guess this means my Pikachu amiibo is the default champion in my area at least. :estatic:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it earlier, but it's my birthday today. :seuss:

And also my two year anniversary of getting Fire Emblem Awakening. :estatic:
Happy birthday False, hope you enjoy it!

D

Deleted member

ITT: IT'S NAH'S BIRTHDAY.

tumblr_mkges8tYt81r51aeko1_1280.jpg

<3
HnxKDRE.png
~

*Faints*

Last edited by a moderator:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Golden Sun is awesome, classic JRPG goodness with some unique ideas. It was one of the things I got from the Club Nintendo sale. I'll probably replay it soon-ish.

But for now, I have Pillars of Eternity. I'm only about an hour in, but it really has the potential to be as good as Baldur's Gate 2 so far.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it earlier, but it's my birthday today. :seuss:

And also my two year anniversary of getting Fire Emblem Awakening. :estatic:
Happy Birthday, False!

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm gonna pretend I didn't just read a bunch of people ****ting on Golden Sun. Didn't happen.

Hate on Dark Dawn, sure, maybe give the original a little flak for being somewhat simple, but god damn it, The Lost Age is a ****ing masterpiece.

Happy Birthday @False Sense and Nah!

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Ah yes. Little Miss's birthday.

Have some Nah art to go along with today.

Tharja is next on the Awakening birthdays (April 2nd).

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
So many birthdays here. My lil sis has her birthday on the 2nd April, which is near.

Oh and Happy Birthday Nah:dr^_^: Gotta love your dragon girl.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I'm under the "don't care" territory for Golden Sun. Just like the Mother series. I'm just not interested in it.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
The Golden Sun talk is still there? Can't we talk about a better other game?:troll:
Really, can someone tell me and explain the good points of Golden Sun? Because I can't see them:sadsheep:
It has too much exposition. The game goes out of it's way to explain to you over and over again your objetive, as if you had amnesia. When exposition is needed, though, they don't give it to you, like that puzzle about growing plants. There's not even a hint about what you need to do.
It's consistency with the story is bad. I already gave some examples of that, but I can gladly give others. I'm thinking of replaying the game just to list all examples I can find. Talk about no life.
The character's personality is nonexistant. I'm sorry, but I can't find any unique trait, flaw or whatever. They feel like 1 dimensional characters, with all the shameless exposition that is dumped on their dialogues.
And the game progression, oh god. most of the game just feels like a big side quest. You have no idea why you need to do stuff, like helping Ivan, storywise. And It's not like you can't poke all these leaves with your sword, and c'mon, leaves? Couldn't you think of a better obstacle, Camelot? Even a *shudders* boulder would be better.
and what about the entire Tret sequnce? Was it really necessary? Couldn't the characters just go to the Mercury tower to, you know, save the world? But no, they go there because they wanted to get some healing water for the Tree guy (which only becomes avalible after you fail at not letting the lighthouse get lit. Huh, maybe they failed deliberately). All the "main" story stuff feels like just a bonus.
and c'mon, if the 'villains' were trying to save the world the entire time, why the hell didn't they say so at the start? Just to have some lulz time getting their ass handed back to them when fighting by Isaac's gang? It's like the writers didn't plan this entire twist out. It's no wonder no one expected that.

...No really D: every time I talk about this game I feel the need to rant about something, I'm sorry. Overral, I think this game is too overrated.
I see no value there other than pure nostalgia.
You can tell me I'm thinking too hard about it, that it's just a video game and you're supposed to have fun, but these flaws are so big to me that I can't have fun, not when the game doesn't seem to have reedeming features.
Yes, there are games I play only for the sake of analyzing later. Maybe I have fun doing that.

Btw, here's the LP I mentioned.
I was really happy when I found this, because it showed me that I wasn't the only one.

I'll show myself out now.:sadsheep:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll drop a nice big brick of why you're wrong when I get home from work, but I have an important related question: Did you play the sequel? (Lost Age)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The Golden Sun talk is still there? Can't we talk about a better other game?:troll:
Really, can someone tell me and explain the good points of Golden Sun? Because I can't see them:sadsheep:
It has too much exposition. The game goes out of it's way to explain to you over and over again your objetive, as if you had amnesia. When exposition is needed, though, they don't give it to you, like that puzzle about growing plants. There's not even a hint about what you need to do.
It's consistency with the story is bad. I already gave some examples of that, but I can gladly give others. I'm thinking of replaying the game just to list all examples I can find. Talk about no life.
The character's personality is nonexistant. I'm sorry, but I can't find any unique trait, flaw or whatever. They feel like 1 dimensional characters, with all the shameless exposition that is dumped on their dialogues.
And the game progression, oh god. most of the game just feels like a big side quest. You have no idea why you need to do stuff, like helping Ivan, storywise. And It's not like you can't poke all these leaves with your sword, and c'mon, leaves? Couldn't you think of a better obstacle, Camelot? Even a *shudders* boulder would be better.
and what about the entire Tret sequnce? Was it really necessary? Couldn't the characters just go to the Mercury tower to, you know, save the world? But no, they go there because they wanted to get some healing water for the Tree guy (which only becomes avalible after you fail at not letting the lighthouse get lit. Huh, maybe they failed deliberately). All the "main" story stuff feels like just a bonus.
and c'mon, if the 'villains' were trying to save the world the entire time, why the hell didn't they say so at the start? Just to have some lulz time getting their *** handed back to them when fighting by Isaac's gang? It's like the writers didn't plan this entire twist out. It's no wonder no one expected that.

...No really D: every time I talk about this game I feel the need to rant about something, I'm sorry. Overral, I think this game is too overrated.
I see no value there other than pure nostalgia.
You can tell me I'm thinking too hard about it, that it's just a video game and you're supposed to have fun, but these flaws are so big to me that I can't have fun, not when the game doesn't seem to have reedeming features.
Yes, there are games I play only for the sake of analyzing later. Maybe I have fun doing that.

Btw, here's the LP I mentioned.
I was really happy when I found this, because it showed me that I wasn't the only one.

I'll show myself out now.:sadsheep:
Honestly, allot of those points you mentioned is how I find every Pokémon and even Fire Emblem Gaiden, I find both of those to be entirely pointless with Pokemon's exception of the first 3 generations. I've never had that problem with Golden Sun. I've always been connected to the characters, especially in Lost Age, I've never liked a game to hold my hand, I like them to let me figure out stuff on my own.

All in all, if you don't like Golden Sun it's simply because you either have differing tastes, or you went into it expecting to hate it so you did, or you just set your expectations way too high for a GBA game. The game is in no way a bad game, it's probably one of the best on the system

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Much like Earthbound, Golden Sun is one of those series that I can understand being good, and respect everyone's gushing over, but simply doesn't interest me.

Hong

The Strongest
ah this brings back memories of when Hong said Superman 64 was so bad it was good, in fact I'll bring back this small gem

actually, I hope doing this doesn't count as gravedigging junk
When I post something and I think it's done and over with.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I love Golden Sun 1, 2, AND Dark Dawn to death but Dayum is the story bad.

There are so many plot points discarded right after you get the Mcguffin its not even funny

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
We're on this again? Lemme see if I can muster up -

...nope, sleep.

Sayonara, see you in six or seven.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
I'll drop a nice big brick of why you're wrong when I get home from work, but I have an important related question: Did you play the sequel? (Lost Age)
I played, albeit only one time.
I could say I like it even less because it didn't have the nostalgia value GS had to me, but had all the exactly same problems.
Even more bad because it just kept contradicting it's own prequel.

Honestly, allot of those points you mentioned is how I find every Pokémon and even Fire Emblem Gaiden, I find both of those to be entirely pointless with Pokemon's exception of the first 3 generations. I've never had that problem with Golden Sun. I've always been connected to the characters, especially in Lost Age, I've never liked a game to hold my hand, I like them to let me figure out stuff on my own.
Never played Fire Emblem Gaiden, but either way, it's 90's game, and games made around this time had to cut story because the cartridge had a limit of space, so rpg's developers always chose to cut words to give the game a visual and a battle system, GBA games didn't have too much problem with this, even more so GS, because Golden Sun has a lot of words , all used for useless exposition and half assed plot devices, so you can't really compare the two.
Pokemon for it's faults, doesn't have even nearly useless exposition as Golden Sun has, and it's game progression makes sense at least, even if it's overly simple.

I would normally agree with the "figure the thing on my own" thing, but not on GS case. It's not you who need an incentive to go to "X" place, it's the characters that do, and the lack of a goal in the first half of the game just kills it, but the game expects you to pretend that there's a goal. At least make so that the characters look lost D: . I excuse older games from this for the above reason, but Golden Sun uses all of this words to say again and again what we already know, or half assed plot devices we never get to completely understand about. From a storyline pov, it's bad, and the biggest selling point of RPG is the story, imo.

Before I create a war here, I'll stop discussing this.
From now I will disscuss about cute things only.:happysheep:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
We're on this again? Lemme see if I can muster up -

...nope, sleep.

Sayonara, see you in six or seven.
Don't post that, you'll make everyone else feel ---

It's never truly over, not until you solve the maze and save your friends
No! No more rings. I've had enough Superman 64.

I'll never forget.

I'll never forget the long weekend when we rented Superman 64 and I tried so hard to enjoy it.

I'll never forget.

I'll not fly through a ring again. No more rings. No more.

Unless it's Star Fox.:fox64:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory

I'll never forget.

I'll never forget the long weekend when we rented Superman 64 and I tried so hard to enjoy it.

I'll never forget.

You actually tried to enjoy it!?

How about collecting junk in DK64?

And then Superman 64 had Sonic 06 as its offspring.

it's funny because Sonic 06 actually has you going through big red rings on some hub sidequests

D

Deleted member

I never played Golden Sun.
I have it on my Wii U thanks to Club Nintendo, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Maybe I will some day. As of now, I don't have much on the matter.

I'll never forget.

I'll never forget.

You played Superman 64? You poor, poor soul.

...Speaking of which, I wonder if we will ever see the next stage in ProtonJon's LP...

And then Superman 64 had Sonic 06 as its offspring.

Well, Sonic 06 only had the ring minigames and an innumerable amount of glitches.
However, Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis is more like Superman 64 in terms of gameplay, aesthetics, and even glitches.

Top Bottom