• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Robin makes it in this game, I'm completely expecting him/her to have the option to switch genders. I mean, if the Wii Fit Trainer is allowed to be male as an Alt. Costume, why not the Tactician as well?

I first started as a male when I played Awakening (cause I'm, well, a guy), but I kinda prefer the female version instead. Fire Emblem has a lot of awesome women in the series, and Fem!Robin sort of reminded me of Lyn from FE7.

Hong

The Strongest
Personally I can't hope to actually see Robin as an Avatar. I wish they kept My Unit as My Unit in localization, because it can have different meanings to some people.

For all that I like the character, I don't see myself in the character at all. :/ Especially her supports.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Personally I can't hope to actually see Robin as an Avatar. I wish they kept My Unit as My Unit in localization, because it can have different meanings to some people.

For all that I like the character, I don't see myself in the character at all. :/ Especially her supports.
I quite liked most of the Tactician's supports, male or female. I was only really disappointed with the female support for Chrom, because the whole "OH NO I WALKED INTO YOU NAKED" joke was so dull, I actually groaned when it was used again.

Anyways, count me in as a supporter. I'm not sure about his/her chances, but if Sakurai is looking for potential uniqueness in newcomers, then I'm still hopeful.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I quite liked most of the Tactician's supports, male or female. I was only really disappointed with the female support for Chrom, because the whole "OH NO I WALKED INTO YOU NAKED" joke was so dull, I actually groaned when it was used again.

Anyways, count me in as a supporter. I'm not sure about his/her chances, but if Sakurai is looking for potential uniqueness in newcomers, then I'm still hopeful.
I believe that Robin's uniqueness as a character is his/her biggest selling point, especially since his/her biggest competition is Chrom. Being able to represent the most recent (and very successful) Fire Emblem game while also utilizing forms of fighting (magic) that have yet to be used by any FE representative so far gives him/her an edge over Chrom, who seems to struggle a bit when it comes to making a unique and interesting moveset (not saying it can't be done, of course, but being another blue haired swordsman who uses the same abilities as Marth and Ike requires quite a bit of creativity). Not to mention Robin is an ideal candidate for introducing a Stance Change character into Smash, and seeing how Sakurai already created a puppeteer character in Rosalina, I think this is a major plus for him/her.

Also, there's something else I think is worth mentioning. So far the newcomers to Smash have received a very large amount of emphasis, with each one revealed so far having their own unique trailer (with the exception of the Villager, who had a significant portion of the first Smash 4 trailer dedicated to him). I think that all this emphasis further supports the idea that the newcomers will be unique characters that deserve the amount of attention they receive upon being revealed. This is just my opinion, but I think that Robin, being a character that could introduce an entire new playstyle to Smash, would be a character that they could make a big deal about, which of course fits in with the other newcomers we've seen so far. That's my thoughts on the matter, anyway.

Hong

The Strongest
That one, and Lon'qu. :x

No others for Robin come to mind, though I suppose since Chrom is idiru hasubando, it stands out in my mind.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You know, I don't think Arena Ferox is necessarily a confirmed lock for Chrom, but rather a really good nod towards Avatar's reveal. It's just my hunch. Almost every new stage revealed for SSB4 seems an indication for a popular newcomer that is, Rosalina for Gateway Galaxy (confirmed), Little Mac for Boxing Ring, Mii for the Find Mii stage, and Ridley for Pyrosphere (where he makes his true appearance).

Most fans think Arena Ferox is basically a confirmation for Chrom, but I'm not 100% sure about that. It's true that with all the trailers for Awakening hyping up the duel between Chrom and Marth at Arena Ferox, that it gives him an edge over the competition. But the stage has just as much importance to the Avatar as it does for Chrom. Why?

It's where the Avatar is first seen in-game, as you create him/her for your new game file. The demo even takes you to the customization page for the Avatar despite not being necessary. To most people who have only tried the demo without buying the game, they would recognize Arena Ferox as being "that one place where you design your character".

Again, it's just my hunch. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrom is revealed, but I won't complain.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think the stages have any relevance to the characters we will see, really. They took the most natural fighting game environment from one of the best selling 3DS games, and put it on the 3DS version. Nothing thus far has really been indicative that stage selection really matters, barring cases when it comes within a character reveal trailer.

After all, we know there will be at least one more Fire Emblem stage for the Wii U version. The Outrealm perhaps? Or another Castle Siege? We'll see, though I can comfortably say any new addition will most likely be an Awakening character, though.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Plus. if you count Ness, Lucas and Mewtwo, if we are talking fighting-game archetypes we have had three male spell-casters.
You cannot count Mewtwo as male, despite its masculine voice in Melee, because Mewtwo has no gender in the Pokemon Games.
After all, we know there will be at least one more Fire Emblem stage for the Wii U version. The Outrealm perhaps? Or another Castle Siege? We'll see, though I can comfortably say any new addition will most likely be an Awakening character, though.
I'd guess some stage from Radiant Dawn. I cannot give a specific example, as I haven't played it.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You cannot count Mewtwo as male, despite its masculine voice in Melee, because Mewtwo has no gender in the Pokemon Games.
Really? Interesting.

Truth be told, I have not played a Pokemon game since red and blue, though I enjoyed having Mewtwo on the cast quite a bit in Melee. :)

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Never really thought about Robin until I saw this thread. Definitely add me to the list of supporters.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
For that matter, you can't really count any of the Pokemon in Smash as any gender because there's no distinction given.

I'd guess some stage from Radiant Dawn. I cannot give a specific example, as I haven't played it.
Nox Castle would be good (I think that's what it's called), where you control Daein forces trying to hold the line against the Greil Mercenaries. It was home to a fairly epic battle involving a ton of Laguz and Daein soldiers. It could be a large level where the two sides of the armies come and randomly fight each other, potentially catching smashers in the crossfire. (Edward, Leonardo, Micaiah, Nolan, Sothe and some other members of the Dawn Brigade could make appearances and attack the Greil Mercenaries (Soren, Mia, Shinon, Ranulf, Mist, some Laguz and maybe some others). Then to make it even more epic, the Dragon Laguz can show up and destroy part of the castle like they do at the end of the level.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The Pikachu in Smash is male, as he doesn't have a notch in his tail.
I suppose that means something for Brawl and SSB4, but in Melee and 64 Pikachu's gender can't be determined because gender differences for pokemon didn't really exist back then (exlcuding Nidoran, but those are really separate Pokemon). However, I don't think Pikachu's lack of a notched tail is because a male Pikachu was wanted for Smash, I think they chose that look because it's the most iconic look for Pikachu. Also the notch is ****ing stupid looking. In any case, most of them are assumed to be a gender and not actually explicitly stated.

Pokemon discussion in the Fire Emblem topic, yeah.

Hong

The Strongest
If you aren't sure, you could always just like pick it up and like, you know.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wonder if sex-checkers are a thing in the Pokemon World.

A lot of Pokemon don't have visible gender differences. Like Aegislash.

...where do you put genitals on a sword?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I wonder if sex-checkers are a thing in the Pokemon World.

A lot of Pokemon don't have visible gender differences. Like Aegislash.

...where do you put genitals on a sword?
The pokedex seems to know. This has some rather depraved implications considering that the adult professors always go make the children fill the pokedex, which would include gender differences.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Screw it. I'm in.

I want to stab things and blast them with electricity (because as Thoron in the very first chapter and Thunder in the very second indicate, lightning is our signature magic.)

Just because I have some issues with Awakenings characterization doesn't mean Robin wouldn't be amazing fun.

@ Guy who brought up Arena Ferox:

a) I TOTALLY DID NOT REALIZE THE BOXING RING COULD BE LITTLE MAC'S STAGE, THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW OMG

b) Arena Ferox has little relevance to Robin, i.m.o - It's more significant as our first major hint to Masked!Marth's identity. I would cite it as evidence for Lucina's inclusion over even Chrom, frankly.

Who else wants a flying Grima stage, btw?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Wanna know what would be a cool adventure mode boss for FE and a cool part of the Robin trailer?

Walhart.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Main stage: Grima's body.

Attached: Flapping wings that can be phased through (by pressing down), edges on the tips of the wing. Very unique, odd platform game.

If going for utterly non-competitve, Grima reaches her head back and snaps at players every so often, Halberd-style, or uses her Fell breath. Maybe both.

Background: Tour of the continent.

Hong

The Strongest
I had an Outrealm stage idea.

Basically, it is a morphing stage. It starts out with a very basic design, but the stage morphs to become different moments in Fire Emblem's history, with different scenes and battles going on in the background. Stage stays the same in size (about Battlefieldish), but the platforms and layout changes. It would serve as an upgrade from Castle Siege.

A stage layout based on FE1-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8, 9-10 and 13 sounds about fair. That is 7 counting the initial stage appearance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I had an Outrealm stage idea.

Basically, it is a morphing stage. It starts out with a very basic design, but the stage morphs to become different moments in Fire Emblem's history, with different scenes and battles going on in the background. Stage stays the same in size (about Battlefieldish), but the platforms and layout changes. It would serve as an upgrade from Castle Siege.

A stage layout based on FE1-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8, 9-10 and 13 sounds about fair. That is 7 counting the initial stage appearance.
I think you went a bit overboard with the transformations, but it's a cool idea.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Robin is going to be in, I can imagine her/his gameplay being based using different types of magic to deal with opponents at different distances from her/him.

For example, I could imagine Robin using Fire for one of his Special moves similar to this in order to deal damage at around mid-range. I picture this move doing damage below the opponent.

Another typical move that I can see Robin using for one of his special moves, and of course his signature ability, is using Thunder. It would function and look similar to Pikachu's Thunder, coming down from above, except that instead of it coming directly towards Robin, it would be coming from above from a long distance away from Robin.

Another typical Special Move that I would think Robin should use is Wind. In contrast to Thunder and Fire I imagine this being used as a short distance in order to keep foes who are rushing towards you away from you.

The final Special Move I would imagine Robin using? Counter, of course.

Overall, by using these moves, the gameplay for Robin should revolve around tactically using his attacks based on the suituation. This gameplay would heavily depend on patience and being able to outsmart your opponent by using these moves in the correct situation in order to be in control of the battlefield.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I strongly doubt it. It would be a hilariously bad idea, in the same league as Ganondorf's clonification.

Hong

The Strongest
I think you went a bit overboard with the transformations, but it's a cool idea.
It's hard. :/

That is why I had to limit it to being Battlefield in size, because I know making a stage for every Fire Emblem is not worth the dev time. I tried to cut it down to realms, though I suppose one of the GBA realms could be skipped. For what they had in awesome gameplay, only a few chapters were revolutionary in terms of aesthetics.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
If possible, I'd like to see that kind of stage Hong. But I wouldn't want Elibe or Magvell to be cut out. Selfish as it is, they're the ones I started with, so I really would like to see them if they were to do a stage that represents the series as a whole. Elibe at least has to be, it's what got the US (more or less) into Fire Emblem after all. But yeah, one that represents the whole series would be nice. I wasn't a big fan of Castle Siege myself.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Eh, psychic powers are rarely noticeably different from magic powers. The explanations may differ, but typically speaking they're used for the same thing in games they're in. Though I can't think of any particular shield magic Robin could use. The entire idea is silly (Zelda would be way more likely than Ness of all people) though, and I don't see Robin getting in to be a clone. If they were going to clone someone, they'd probably just have gone with someone else.

Hong

The Strongest
If possible, I'd like to see that kind of stage Hong. But I wouldn't want Elibe or Magvell to be cut out. Selfish as it is, they're the ones I started with, so I really would like to see them if they were to do a stage that represents the series as a whole. Elibe at least has to be, it's what got the US (more or less) into Fire Emblem after all. But yeah, one that represents the whole series would be nice. I wasn't a big fan of Castle Siege myself.
I would certainly love that one chapter where Ephraim fights monsters on a boat.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Aha! A Robin thread, perfect! Count me in. (I've just read all ten pages in the past hour).

Robin is a character I've been arguing with friends for, since I picked up FE:A ages ago. I'd much prefer Robin over Chrom because of the combination of magic and swordsmanship, the story starts and ends with Robin, and Robin's default designs don't have blue hair (hohoho)

I personally think Robin could be unique enough on her/his own, for many of the reasons that have been brought up in this thread (magic sword combo, so many different available skills, etc), but I wouldn't turn down having a tag team pairing with Chrom if it means we get Robin. Especially since I think it would be pretty cool to play as Robin whilst essentially using Chrom to help you pull off devastating combos. That idea seemed more possible to me once Rosalina was revealed. (Suddenly stopped a number of nay sayers in their tracks from instantly counting Robin out of the running.)

(Toad, Robin and Isaac are my main three hopefuls for Smash, with Robin feeling like the most likely at the moment.)

Hong

The Strongest
"Thanks, friend."

A duo is certainly a likely probability with any Awakening character. It is the feature that stands out most from the product, compared to the rest of the series.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Aha! A Robin thread, perfect! Count me in. (I've just read all ten pages in the past hour).

Robin is a character I've been arguing with friends for, since I picked up FE:A ages ago. I'd much prefer Robin over Chrom because of the combination of magic and swordsmanship, the story starts and ends with Robin, and Robin's default designs don't have blue hair (hohoho)

I personally think Robin could be unique enough on her/his own, for many of the reasons that have been brought up in this thread (magic sword combo, so many different available skills, etc), but I wouldn't turn down having a tag team pairing with Chrom if it means we get Robin. Especially since I think it would be pretty cool to play as Robin whilst essentially using Chrom to help you pull off devastating combos. That idea seemed more possible to me once Rosalina was revealed. (Suddenly stopped a number of nay sayers in their tracks from instantly counting Robin out of the running.)

(Toad, Robin and Isaac are my main three hopefuls for Smash, with Robin feeling like the most likely at the moment.)
Welcome to the thread. We will watch as Robin enters SSB4...

Top Bottom