• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
I think that Robin, the tactician, the avatar, whatever...
Is not the best character to represent Awakening or Fire Emblem. Mostly because is a character based in individual and independent experiences of players, being a customizable character.
Honestly, Robin is about as distanced from the player as Link is. You are Robin about as much as you are Link. It is up to you if you want to be Robin.

Robin has more qualities forced onto the character than the Villager does. At least the Villager never talks and, aside from being mayor, has always had their story left open to interpretation beyond the fact they are moving into a town full of animals.

The player's influences over Robin's aesthetic is largely the best they got. Her personality, her story (AKA Awakening's story), and her dialogue is entirely fixed. Nothing at all that affects her likelihood to be a playable character. No one is going to lose sleep if one of her looks don't match the Robin they made in Awakening. They will be too focused on whether or not the character is fun to play as, because within a week of having the game that is all we care about.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Is not the best character to represent Awakening or Fire Emblem. Mostly because is a character based in individual and independent experiences of players, being a customizable character.
With the exception of marriage, the avatar's story is the same.

Robins a curious case, as its pretty obvious that your avatar was supposed to be a projection of yourself but in actuality the avatar ended up being a character in itself possessing a static personality, story, and background.
And as pacack mentioned, the villager is customizable. That's as far as that point goes. Including cutomizable characters is not a problem.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Ok, another example...
From all the generic characters of Wii, Wii Fit Trainer was chosen over the Mii.

Hong

The Strongest
Ok, another example...
From all the generic characters of Wii, Wii Fit Trainer was chosen over the Mii.
Character selection does not work that way.

The director himself has specifically stated that WFT was added because she is different. Not because he wants to meet some quota (by the way, that is far too broad of a spectrum to represent), but because adding her would improve the variety the game has to offer. Franchise origins are largely irrelevant unless their number becomes too large.

As we have the most important Fire Emblem character already in the game, anyone else we get will be chosen entirely on their merit of what they can offer to the experience. Someone like Chrom or Roy will be butting heads with similar characters (Chrom VS Ike more so than anyone), while Robin doesn't really have anyone competing with her. Even Isaac from Golden Sun, another spellsword of the sorts, has a very different area of expertise.

Aside from the development time needed for implementation, Robin is not competing with anyone. No one else who is added within reason (IE not Morgan or Celica) really takes away from what she has to offer. We can just as well see any other Fire Emblem character if the director sees fit, and whether or not Robin shows up is not based on how many Fire Emblem characters are on the selection screen so much as whether or not he feels she can offer something fun.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Even Isaac from Golden Sun, another spellsword of the sorts, has a very different area of expertise.
Different area of expertise... It doesn't seem that you know what are you saying. After all, any of the 16 Golden Sun Characters outclasses Fire Emblem characters in variety and possibilities. With the exception of transformations, that only one character have. It is easy to find equivalents, you talk like if Isaac can't use Thunders or Fire (he cans).

Give only Venus-Earth Psynergy to Isaac would be lazy considering all the potential that this character have.

I also comment, that the Tome-Sword combination sounds better to me that the people coming from nowhere moveset.

Hong

The Strongest
Different area of expertise... It doesn't seem that you know what are you saying. After all, any of the 16 Golden Sun Characters outclasses Fire Emblem characters in variety and possibilities. With the exception of transformations, that only one character have. It is easy to find equivalents, you talk like if Isaac can't use Thunders or Fire (he cans).

Give only Venus-Earth Psynergy to Isaac would be lazy considering all the potential that this character have.
That is not the point.

The point is Psynergy, namely outlandish effects such as Move, are what are most definitive for the franchise. That is a large of why that is all Isaac does when he appears as an Assist Trophy.

As for Isaac specifically, The basics of Venus Psynergy is what is most iconic to him regardless of what he is ultimately capable of, and it would be expressed in the most basic form in the Smash Bros environment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Technically I could talk out of my arse and say Robin can do anything any Fire Emblem character has done ever because she can access almost any class. That's right. Robin can use any weapon, any spell or any skill, because she can potentially be any class. Technically she could also pop out babies in the middle of battle and have them fight for her and be some new twisted form of puppet character, but we are more reasonable than that.

Because that is not what is most iconic of that character. Robin is the Tactician who has the tome and sword, and some precarious origins.

Ike certainly didn't need axes, magic swords or any skills besides Aether to entertain, despite the fact he can handle them just fine. That is because they went with the most basic premise for the character. They took his box art, they took his signature sword, and sent him out the door. When you look at someone like Ness, he only has like one of his moves because they cared more about his game than Ness himself.

When I imagine Isaac and Robin as fighters, I get two completely different products.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
If you think this, you clearly haven't played Awakening or Fire Emblem (or at least don't care about the series). The only different thing about Robin and the rest of the Awakening cast is customizable hair color/face/voice/name/gender. The character has a set personality and support conversations, just like everyone else. You can choose who Robin marries (if anyone), but you can choose who everyone marries. Unlike other character based in "individual and independent experiences" you can't project yourself onto Robin because he/she is his/her own person.
Animal Crossing Villagers can be projected onto because they never talk or show any personality on their own. Therefore villagers give a more "individual and independent" experience than Robin does, by far.

Robin actually is the best character to represent Fire Emblem, because he represents the Tactician. Literally the most important character in an FE game is the tactician. And Robin is the most recent tactician, from the most popular FE game in ages and one of the few who participates in battle. Robin is also the only character that is capable of being any class and is the only on who can uses tomes and swords in one class.

Ok, another example...
Because we know Miis are disconfirmed.

I also comment, that the Tome-Sword combination sounds better to me that the people coming from nowhere moveset.
What does this mean?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Tom Nook is not a playable character. Playable characters have priority over non-playable character. Thats what makes different the case of Tom Nook.
my point still stands. If being a character based in individual and independent experiences was an issue, we wouldn't have the Villager. And if it wasn't an issue for the Villager, it's not an issue for the Tactician.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
my point still stands. If being a character based in individual and independent experiences was an issue, we wouldn't have the Villager. And if it wasn't an issue for the Villager, it's not an issue for the Tactician.
That's not a good defense when you're comparing a franchise with several viable characters to a series with one (Villager).

Hong

The Strongest
Where do i get the pic for my signature so i can show support?
Copy the URL (link/image location) from any of these images:

(Depending on what browser you use, you will right-click the one you want and select the appropriate option)

Go to:
http://smashboards.com/account/signature

And use the image insertion functionality to paste the URL into the field to create the signature image. ( ' ▽ ')/

If you are still unsure, let me know,

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I want to state that when I said that GS characters outclass FE characters in variety and possibilities. Im talking specifically of Magical powers.
The point is Psynergy, namely outlandish effects such as Move, are what are most definitive for the franchise. That is a large of why that is all Isaac does when he appears as an Assist Trophy.

As for Isaac specifically, The basics of Venus Psynergy is what is most iconic to him regardless of what he is ultimately capable of, and it would be expressed in the most basic form in the Smash Bros environment. Nothing more, nothing less.
Just like other user of this forum said before, ATs dont represent exactly how a character would fight. I know that Move is the most iconic psynergy by far but that just takes one special move or the grab-throw. Consider that in Golden Sun you use Move when a log is blocking your way, so you push it out. You dont use Move to fight against a giant dragon of 20 tones. Also do you know that Move is considered a Mars-Fire psynergy in GBA?
Technically she could also pop out babies in the middle of battle and have them fight for her and be some new twisted form of puppet character, but we are more reasonable than that.
After reading some of the movesets of users that don't sounds that weird.
When I imagine Isaac and Robin as fighters, I get two completely different products.
In that im agree, but for other reason. Mainly because of Djinns and why they could do.
If you think this, you clearly haven't played Awakening or Fire Emblem (or at least don't care about the series). The only different thing about Robin and the rest of the Awakening cast is customizable hair color/face/voice/name/gender. The character has a set personality and support conversations, just like everyone else. You can choose who Robin marries (if anyone), but you can choose who everyone marries. Unlike other character based in "individual and independent experiences" you can't project yourself onto Robin because he/she is his/her own person.
Animal Crossing Villagers can be projected onto because they never talk or show any personality on their own. Therefore villagers give a more "individual and independent" experience than Robin does, by far.

Robin actually is the best character to represent Fire Emblem, because he represents the Tactician. Literally the most important character in an FE game is the tactician. And Robin is the most recent tactician, from the most popular FE game in ages and one of the few who participates in battle. Robin is also the only character that is capable of being any class and is the only on who can uses tomes and swords in one class.
"Literally the most important character in an FE game is the tactician." That line is correct and wrong and correct at the same time. While the tactician is clearly the most important person in any Fire Emblem, he/she in most of the titles, is not IN the game.
Who is the REAL tactician in any Fire Emblem game? The player is the real tactician. The purpose of Robin/Avatar was, I think, to represent exactly that. Though they could do this much better allowing the player to choose responses in dialogues to define the personality of the character. But I can see that the intentions and the concept is right there. Or im just crazy.

What I wanted to say is that I prefer Robin to be based in Tomes and Swords rather than some of the movesets proposed by some users that have characters appearing magically near Robin to perform attacks-actions.

Hong

The Strongest
Give a look at my moveset and tell me what you think. I am credited as Lunadis in the OP.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
"Literally the most important character in an FE game is the tactician." That line is correct and wrong and correct at the same time. While the tactician is clearly the most important person in any Fire Emblem, he/she in most of the titles, is not IN the game.
Well, no, the tactician is not present in some games. Or if they are present in a game it's sort of glanced over and unimportant. But I didn't think I need to say, "The tactician is literally the most important character in an FE game where there is a tactician." Seems sort of dumb to say it like that. Regardless, Robin is the tactician and in the game. Also, Robin actually fights unlike the FE7 tactician. Which make Robin more important than said FE7 tactician.

In the radiant saga of games Soren was the tactician of the Greil mercenaries. And Micaiah the tactician of the Dawn Brigade. I forget who the tactician of the Royal Knights was. They were very present, and you could use them in battle they just sort of mentioned them being the tactician very little.

Who is the REAL tactician in any Fire Emblem game? The player is the real tactician.
No ****, sherlock.

The purpose of Robin/Avatar was, I think, to represent exactly that. Though they could do this much better allowing the player to choose responses in dialogues to define the personality of the character. But I can see that the intentions and the concept is right there. Or im just crazy.
I think that was the original concept, but then they sort of decided to make him more of a character.

What I wanted to say is that I prefer Robin to be based in Tomes and Swords rather than some of the movesets proposed by some users that have characters appearing magically near Robin to perform attacks-actions.
Oh, yeah. Those summoning movesets make more sense for a tactician who wasn't playable like the FE7 one.

Hong

The Strongest
Kind of random, but I thought about how hilarious it would be if they took the opening scene from Awakening as the trailer for Robin.

*kills Chrom and pulls down hood*

"ROBIN TIPS THE SCALES!"

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
But, wouldn't Sakurai want a more established and popular Fire Emblem Character? How big is Robin's role compared to everyone else anyway?

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Kind of random, but I thought about how hilarious it would be if they took the opening scene from Awakening as the trailer for Robin.

"ROBIN TIPS THE SCALES!"
Other Smash Bros. characters are watching, shocked. Luma just breaks down into tears as they watch Chrom die. Robin just smiles evilly and pulls out another lightning bolt.
But, wouldn't Sakurai want a more established and popular Fire Emblem Character? How big is Robin's role compared to everyone else anyway?
Robin's role is arguably as big as Chrom's, if not bigger.

Hong

The Strongest
Robin literally is the plot. The plot is inside of her, but she doesn't know about it until about half way through. Then Robin ends up facing Robin, because you needed more Robin in your Robin, so we got you another Robin.

But seriously.
Robin is the host of Grima, the big bad of the story. She lost her memory and didn't know about it, and she tried to fight against fate, so a paradox-Robin served as the host for Grima instead.

Chrom's plot importance is there from the start, dies completely after ch10, then he does not become relevant again until the Awakening itself. The other of the three lead characters, Lucina, has comparable story, but not within the actual game itself, since most of her ordeals take place off-camera or in the future when Chrom has died.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well in the first few chapters, Robins stays for a few roles, then you can optionally get rid of him in the army to make his role smaller. :troll:
So they are pretty much equal depending how you play.

Hong

The Strongest
Well in the first few chapters, Robins stays for a few roles, then you can optionally get rid of him in the army to make his role smaller. :troll:
So they are pretty much equal depending how you play.
The Supply Convoy is the most important character in the Elibe saga, then. :troll:

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
Chrom and Robin are not even at all. The main character is obviously Robin. Honestly I feel like Chrom is kind of a red herring. At first you falsely believe that Robin is narrating the story of Chrom, but at the end you realize that Chrom is merely there as a vehicle to bring your unit to accomplish their destiny. The final plot twist is actually very neat and the best thing about Awakening in my opinion.

They are about as equally featured as the other in the actual game, but if you examine the body of the story, Robin is much more important and that's a fact, no matter which of the two ends up joining the Sm4sh roster.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Chrom and Robin are not even at all. The main character is obviously Robin. Honestly I feel like Chrom is kind of a red herring. At first you falsely believe that Robin is narrating the story of Chrom, but at the end you realize that Chrom is merely there as a vehicle to bring your unit to accomplish their destiny. The final plot twist is actually very neat and the best thing about Awakening in my opinion.

They are about as equally featured as the other in the actual game, but if you examine the body of the story, Robin is much more important and that's a fact, no matter which of the two will join the Sm4sh roster.
Your signature...

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

They are about as equally featured as the other in the actual game, but if you examine the body of the story, Robin is much more important and that's a fact, no matter which of the two will join the Sm4sh roster.
Yeah, that's basically what I meant. They show up as often as each other, they're even in number of appearances, but in terms of who does more during their appearances, it clearly goes to Robin
The Supply Convoy is the most important character in the Elibe saga, then. :troll:
Merlinus for Sm4sh!

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

"ROBIN TIPS THE SCALES!"

I shall call him fluffy.

....yeah, I don't know anymore. lol

Top Bottom