• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Top Characters, and what the Rumor Mill suggests Sakurai has said about them

NukeA6

Smash Master
Before Melee, I was 100% sure that Ganondorf would be in Melee.

Right now, I am 100% sure that Ridley and Ike will be in Brawl. Sakurai doesn't even need to mention it. They're confirmed; trust me.

EDIT: And I am 100% sure that there will be a samurai in this game

icymatt

Smash Lord
Before Melee, I was 100% sure that Ganondorf would be in Melee.

Right now, I am 100% sure that Ridley and Ike will be in Brawl. Sakurai doesn't even need to mention it. They're confirmed; trust me.

EDIT: And I am 100% sure that there will be a samurai in this game
Before Melee was announced, my imaginary sequel to Smash Bros had Bowser, Pit, and Wario. After 5 years, I was 100% right that they all would appear in a Smash Bros. sequel. We share a particular talent, and eerie talent.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Alright, I disappeared for the weekend, but I can finally update the front page, so hang on dudemeisters, lemme get a few things out down here whilst I can still sound out

Sonic IS the top requested character, and I intended to add him and a few other third party characters later on. The topic was an ongoing "project." And yeah, that pretty much confirms him, huh? >.>;; I really don't want him in the game. I'll be honest. It's just so... campy. It's like they're not even gonna try. Sure, it'll make the game sell 10x more copies, make all the fans happy, blah blah blah... But what a cop out. Instead of doing something so unique, so fresh, so "holy **** that's awesome i would've never thought of that," they go ahead and just slap in Sonic. And you KNOW it's just because "lol MARIO VS SONIC XD XD XD" Christ... I'm not pushing my own suggestions, before you point fingers, just saying that I never liked the idea of Sonic in a Smash game, and I WILL be upset if he appears. Not that I'll hate the game, but wasn't this supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo? Of the resurrection of Pit? Of the Wii? Snake throws a wrench in that idea, yeah, but it's not nearly as huge as Sonic's. Sonic completely changes the drive of the game. Rather than being this Nintendo mixer where we all kick the crap out of each other, all anyone is gonna bother doing with the game is pitting Sonic against Mario, Link, whoever, because "LOL SONIC VS MARIO." That's all anyone gives a crap about, hence the third party character thing being a crappy idea IMO.

But anyways... Enough soapboxing...

Olimar? Yeah, Sakurai's gone on about that as well...

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
okay, what/who is sigurd. I googled it, and it didn't turn out very well. (seriously, look at the second picture with safesearch turned off)

so....is it a pokemon? I'm drawin a blank here.

GenG

Smash Lord

He isn't exactly a Pokémon... but a Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu (SNES) character. Praise him.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Sonic IS the top requested character, and I intended to add him and a few other third party characters later on. The topic was an ongoing "project." And yeah, that pretty much confirms him, huh? >.>;; I really don't want him in the game. I'll be honest. It's just so... campy. It's like they're not even gonna try. Sure, it'll make the game sell 10x more copies, make all the fans happy, blah blah blah... But what a cop out. Instead of doing something so unique, so fresh, so "holy **** that's awesome i would've never thought of that," they go ahead and just slap in Sonic. And you KNOW it's just because "lol MARIO VS SONIC XD XD XD" Christ... I'm not pushing my own suggestions, before you point fingers, just saying that I never liked the idea of Sonic in a Smash game, and I WILL be upset if he appears. Not that I'll hate the game, but wasn't this supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo? Of the resurrection of Pit? Of the Wii? Snake throws a wrench in that idea, yeah, but it's not nearly as huge as Sonic's. Sonic completely changes the drive of the game. Rather than being this Nintendo mixer where we all kick the crap out of each other, all anyone is gonna bother doing with the game is pitting Sonic against Mario, Link, whoever, because "LOL SONIC VS MARIO." That's all anyone gives a crap about, hence the third party character thing being a crappy idea IMO.
Amen! That's completly true. Adding Sonic will destroy the very fabric of Super Smash Bros, changing it from a clash of video game titans to a repetetive bout between only two of the characters.

kaid

Smash Master
Amen! That's completly true. Adding Sonic will destroy the very fabric of Super Smash Bros, changing it from a clash of video game titans to a repetetive bout between only two of the characters.
I disagree. Sure, there'll be noobs who always want to have a Mario vs Sonic match... but you dont have to listen to them. Pick your favorite character... and if you happen to pick Mario or sonic, and your buddy playes the other... find someone else to play.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Wow.

"If Sonic's in the game, NO ONE WILL PICK ANYBODY ELSE!!!"

Are you kidding? People still pick Pichu. Not everybody likes Sonic, and everyone's going to have a favorite character. Sure, a lot of people might use Sonic, but no more than currently use Fox/Sheik/Marth, because everyone's tastes are different.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Wow.

"If Sonic's in the game, NO ONE WILL PICK ANYBODY ELSE!!!"

Are you kidding? People still pick Pichu. Not everybody likes Sonic, and everyone's going to have a favorite character. Sure, a lot of people might use Sonic, but no more than currently use Fox/Sheik/Marth, because everyone's tastes are different.
I wasn't saying that. Now you're just inferring what you want to hear and twisting my words.

All I'm saying is that it's a cop out. Rather than spend time researching, informing, being fresh and cool, they would opt for a very pop character. Sure, it's the smartest choice business wise. And hell, it'd make the game VERY popular with even mainstream and out-of-touch gamers. But is that the point of Smash Bros.? I'm not sure. I would like to think it's not, but I could be wrong.

I have no problem with Sonic appearing, so long as its done tastefully, you know? If the box art suddenly changes to MARIO VS SONIC with crazy flames and lightning and whatever other crap, like they actually SELL Smash Bros. as "MARIO VERSUS SONIC!!!!!," then I've lost my faith in Nintendo AND Sakurai. Because Sonic should be a guest, not a focus. The same goes for Snake, and as we've seen so far, that's exactly the case. Sonic should be locked away as some "OMGWTFNOTHEYDIDN'T :D :D :D" secret character that we only hear vague hints about before the release or only get a few glimpses of. Because that's the proper way of doing it.

People seem to want this crazy video game fight to the death where everybody gets a piece, and we settle the ancient score of Nintendo vs. Sega or Square or Sony. ...didn't we go over this crap already, back when we were still in the dark about this game? It's still primarily a Nintendo fighter. Snake is a guest fighter. Sonic would be a guest fighter. Anyone else non-Nintendo would be a guest fighter. They don't MAKE the game. The game makes itself, and they get to come along for the ride.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Actually, I was more responding to this:

Emphasis mine.

*EDIT* Although I don't think that Sonic will be anything more than a guest character. They're not going to turn the game into Mario vs. Sonic, Sakurai has already made that clear.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
If that was what the game was ment to be, they would have added only Sonic and Mario.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
If that was what the game was ment to be, they would have added only Sonic and Mario.
Actually I don't want Sonic in..Here is the reason why because in the Sega Gensis he was soo cool and awesome. He was indeed the anti-mario and good one too. But then Sega slowly started to die with's Sega Saturn and evdently it's Dreamcast. Sonic will be just a filler because most of his games well kind of sucked now. I wonder why..he wants to be in? Because it would be a good PR move only by Sega and the Mario VS Sonic rivarly all the fanboys wanted.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Well it's disheartening to hear some of these fans out there thinking the final roster's gonna be something like: "Mario, Link, Luigi, Sonic, Shadow, Amy, Knuckles, EGGMAN (what the hell happened to Robotnik?), Tails, Big, and Espio (but he would only be a super secret unlockable clone of Sonic because he's only obscurely popular)"

And THAT'S their roster.

Doesn't that make you queasy, even the least bit? I didn't make that **** up, either. One of my friends wants that roster exactly. He thinks the game is Mario V Sonic now, and Nintendo should bend over backwards to accomodate their old rivals because they're doing better than Nintendo (in my friend's mind; I have no idea what planet he lives on)

But you know those types. They think the game is gonna be the 10 we saw in the trailer, then every version of Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic, Tails, and Bomberman. Some BS like that. Uck...

EDIT: And I'm sorry for being rude back to you McFox. Just wasn't right of me :p

icymatt

Smash Lord
I don't see game quality really playing into it. If it did, why would they keep including Yoshi's Story material?

And yes, the only reason we want Sonic in because of that rivalry.

Finally, you should never let dumb people ruin your Smash experience.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I don't see game quality really playing into it. If it did, why would they keep including Yoshi's Story material?

And yes, the only reason we want Sonic in because of that rivalry.

Finally, you should never let dumb people ruin your Smash experience.
Yoshi's Story actually did really well in Japan... It was a much different game. There wasn't a save feature, first off, and the enemies were harder. They actually babied it for US audiences :dizzy:

And the Sonic not bringing friends thing brings me to another point: TROPHIES. Would third party characters only bring trophies of themselves and potentially stages, or would they bring along trophies that go with their SERIES as well? I'd go with the former, but I'd like to hear all of your opinions.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I think Sonic is enough and I completely agree with not adding other stupid a** Sonic characters. I still support Geno for SSBB though. God, I hope he makes the cut. If only Sakurai at least gave us an ounce of an update, I would be somewhat satisfied. I guess that makes Brawl all the better since we are just waiting and guessing and making up ideas that will probabbly not come true but we have so little info we believe it. Yeah that was pretty melodramatic, but still....

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yoshi's Story actually did really well in Japan... It was a much different game. There wasn't a save feature, first off, and the enemies were harder. They actually babied it for US audiences :dizzy:
But it still sucked in comparison to SMW2: Yoshi's Island (Best platformer ever) - kinda how Chrono Cross totally blows compared to Chrono Trigger (Best RPG ever BTW...).

Promethus

Smash Apprentice
With so many good 3rd party characters it's hard enough getting them as characters when Sakurai stated only 1-2 3rd party characters after Snake.

Sonic is already semi-confirmed but then there leads to Megaman, Geno and Bonk.

If Megaman was added a awesomely Triad of well known companies Mascots can duke it out.
If Geno was added Japan fans and Amercia could be happy for Genos return.
If Bonk was added...well it would be a Wtf? character and oddball for others who don't know him.

Edit:Also any word of King k. Rool by Sakurai?

icymatt

Smash Lord
People who hate trophies are obviously not as big of game geeks as they need to be to get the full enjoyment out of Smash Bros.

My problem with trophies being in Brawl again is that they'd have to rehash so many of them. I actually have an alternative to trophies that I plan on posting on the main page soon.

And onto Chrono Cross...it's really hard to compare it to Trigger, because they are so different. It's kinda Super Mario Bros. 2 syndrome.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I had the idea for trading cards, but that's beyond the point...

If they were to include Sonic, he would obviously get a "trophy." But would they go and include Tails, and Robotnik, and Knuckles? Would they include Power Rings and Green Hill and Chaos Emeralds? It's basically what they did for their own franchises, only with Sonic's. And that means there are a lot of "trophies" they could be making here. And a lot of space that could be used for others used up.

So do they go ahead and "explain" the third party character by including more than just them in the game, or do they leave it be because we should *probably* know who they are anyways? :p

kaid

Smash Master
If they don't know who Sonic, Megaman, and Snake are, they are a total newb. Geno, on the other hand, may need some explanation.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well it's disheartening to hear some of these fans out there thinking the final roster's gonna be something like: "Mario, Link, Luigi, Sonic, Shadow, Amy, Knuckles, EGGMAN (what the hell happened to Robotnik?), Tails, Big, and Espio (but he would only be a super secret unlockable clone of Sonic because he's only obscurely popular)"

And THAT'S their roster.

Doesn't that make you queasy, even the least bit? I didn't make that **** up, either. One of my friends wants that roster exactly. He thinks the game is Mario V Sonic now, and Nintendo should bend over backwards to accomodate their old rivals because they're doing better than Nintendo (in my friend's mind; I have no idea what planet he lives on)

But you know those types. They think the game is gonna be the 10 we saw in the trailer, then every version of Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic, Tails, and Bomberman. Some BS like that. Uck...

EDIT: And I'm sorry for being rude back to you McFox. Just wasn't right of me :p
1. I don't know. Eggman? Hell no, Robotnik was a better evil scientist name.

2. That roster would make me vomit with rage and sadness. It will NEVER be like that, and for good reason too.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
I think Sonic would be a good addition. Of course because it would make the franchise more popular, which in my opinion would be good for Nintendo and Smash Brothers in general. But if they put Sonic in, it would be good for nolstalgic reasons. I grew up playing Mario and Sonic and I think we're missing the whole competition thing. They fed off of each other, everyone either liked Mario or Sonic and that was it, it was like Democrats and Republicans, you weren't worth **** if you weren't in one or the other's camp, you accomplished nothing. Maybe you guys are missing how big Mario fighting Sonic really is. Lately, Sonic has been pretty much like Vanilla Ice, an old star trying in vain to be popular again (but just never will because the world is different now), but for people like me who played through and loved all the original Sonic 2D games and am and always will be a Nintendo fanboy being able to play as both of them in the same game is like something I would've laughed at you 10 years ago if you suggested, but would be awesome. It's sort of like Mario was the ultimate winner because he's still going strong as ever and he's being a good sport and letting his first real rival be in his game with him for kicks (like they're friends now after all these years). I'm not worried about them just "slapping" him in there, this is Nintendo people, they hardly ever do that and wouldn't with a game of this magnitude.

Oh, and they're not going to give us many updates because the game still won't be released for probably like a half a year or so, plenty more time to go. You'll get your updates, just be patient and keep speculating to pass the time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is ****ing good work man! :D Fliptroopa you rock, expect a hard earned +rep from me. ;)

Ohhh and I think its almost safe to say that atleast DeDeDe, Diddy and Krystal make it to Brawl. And I dont like it but... Sonic's changes are also extremely high.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'm pretty indifferent about Sonic. It might be due to the fact I wasn't really into video games when the MariovsSonic rivalry was at it's peak. Though due to his popularity I doubt he would be revealed until just before Brawl came out if he's added, or not reveal him at all so people find out in the game. He'd pretty much overshadow any other character revealed if it was earlier, which is a shame because there are a lot of other good characters that can be added from Nintendo (some of which would be even better IMO)

It's good to see that DeDeDe, Diddy and Krystal have a really good chance to get in Brawl, Diddy especially since I think he was cheated out of the last one (I believe it was due to ownership rights with, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edit: Oh, and great work FlipTroopa, appreciate the work you put into this

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Goood work on the new characters Flip, except I didn't know there was a game called "Metroidvania".

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
It's good to see that DeDeDe, Diddy and Krystal have a really good chance to get in Brawl, Diddy especially since I think he was cheated out of the last one (I believe it was due to ownership rights with, correct me if I'm mistaken.
Whatever the reason was (I still think he was planned but they ran out of time, explaining why he doesn't have a trophy yet more obscure characters like Dixie Kong and K. Rool do), it definatly wasn't ownership rights. Nintendo has always owned the DKC characters, I just think that before the Rare buyout, the characters weren't used out of respect for Rare. Or something like that anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whatever the reason was (I still think he was planned but they ran out of time, explaining why he doesn't have a trophy yet more obscure characters like Dixie Kong and K. Rool do), it definatly wasn't ownership rights. Nintendo has always owned the DKC characters, I just think that before the Rare buyout, the characters weren't used out of respect for Rare. Or something like that anyway.
I think Diddy wasnt included mostly because Nintendo didnt even KNEW they owned Diddy back then. OH and you knew that they did credited Rare for using the Barrel Cannon item? You can see somewhere in the end portal of that "Star Fox-like mini-game" when you finished Adventure/Classic. But later in Mario Kart: Double Dash, both Diddy and a Barrel Cannon where added into the game and they didnt credited Rare for it. So I think they didnt included Diddy just because they THOUGHT they didnt own him at that time.

But now, after Diddy (and even Dixie) stared in Mario cameo games, I think Nintendo really wants to use these characters again. Really DKC is far too underrepped. DKC really was the best platform game Nintendo ever had imo. Sure they cant beat Super Mario in populairity but in uniqueness DKC really shines. Animal Buddies, Barrel blasting (or just barrels in general), riding mine carts, climbing ropes, searching for the hidden DK tokens, throwing your buddy... These things made the DKC series so great.

The most DKC-ish game we had on the GC was Mario Baseball... With having the characters, DK, Diddy and Dixie and a stadium which has Swanky's hut, Kremlings and Country-ish looking trees this game was the most DK country like game we had on the GC... And it didnt even stared DK himself. Now thats REALLY sad isnt it...? -_-

But there is still some hope, Paon is making a game called DK Bongo Blast. A sorta DK racing game with the DK Bongo's. The levels look alot like DKC and it has characters as Kritter and Funky Kong. However Nintendo really tries to bring DK back with adding alot of unique gameplay (like DK King of Swing, Jungle Beat and Konga) the real fans are still disapointed because Nintendo abbadoned (sp?) the elements of Rare which did made DKC great.

Adding Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong as a tag team Nintendo will rep DKC. In DKC2 the switching between characters and throwing was very important, if Diddy & Dixie make it to Brawl im sure they will add these elements into the character. Which gives the player more of a feel he/she's playing DKC again.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Nintendo and Rare were still together when Melee came out, so ownership wasn't an issue back then.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Well, I don't like it at all, but it seems that Sonic has some pretty good chances of showing up. Nice job on the update, FlipTroopa.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Goood work on the new characters Flip, except I didn't know there was a game called "Metroidvania".
Metroidvania is the fan-title for the genre of games that Metroid and more recent Castlevania games fall under. Where you have on giant map and basically run around finding items and new paths. The whole game is open to you from the getgo, you just have to work at getting to it.

Top Bottom