• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Top Characters, and what the Rumor Mill suggests Sakurai has said about them

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
I love KH, but I hate the idea of Sora in Brawl because he never did anything for Nintendo. Please don't pull that "CoM" crap, that game sucked.
I never played it myself but it got a higher rateing than most of the Zelda GBA Games .. so obviously some people liked it,more than others apprently. And just because you dont like it. doesnt mean it didnt do anything for Nintendo. weither or not you liked the game is irrleivent. The point that it appeared on a Nintendo platform.. is all that matters.

That alone gives him all he needs to make an apprence. You Belive its okay for Snake to be on Smash bros ??? ( and i dont recall him doing anything for nintendo.. Maybe it was before my time) But you hate the ideal of Sora being there ? I belive he has more of a right than Snake. Same with Lloyd.

............ Again, Snake ? You might aswell start throwing in football players from the madden football games now. -.-

icymatt

Smash Lord
How does Sora have more right to be in Smash Bros.? Sora was featured in a single, minor sidestory on the GBA. Snake has appeared in two major NES titles, a major Gamecube title, and a Gameboy Colour game. And even without that, Snake is special because Hideo Kojima is friends with Sakurai.

I enjoyed the first Kingdom Hearts, even though the main character is about as tolerable as a skin rash, but I just don't think there's enough relevance to Nintendo for Sora to appear in Brawl.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
. Now, firstly, he confirmed in Famitsu that Mother 3 music was appearing in Brawl. Secondly, he confirmed that had EB2/64/M3 been released pre SSB64, Ness would've been replaced by Lucas. He even held out for it to be released prior to Melee, to try and put in Lucas then. So, now that Lucas is out, what happens to Ness....?
Now this I find quite interesting. Has this been 'confirmed confirmed' or is it 'rumor confirmed'? If this is true, this may be very good news for Lucas fans, and/or very bad news for Ness players and fans :(

icymatt

Smash Lord
I think Ness is safe, as over the past two games he has become a fan favorite, and I doubt Sakurai will take him out at this point.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I think Ness is safe, as over the past two games he has become a fan favorite, and I doubt Sakurai will take him out at this point.
I guess only time will tell. Is there any 'news' of this sort concerning the Ouendan? I know they appeared multiple times on the list.

GenG

Smash Lord
Now this I find quite interesting. Has this been 'confirmed confirmed' or is it 'rumor confirmed'? If this is true, this may be very good news for Lucas fans, and/or very bad news for Ness players and fans :(
Sakurai talks about this at Ness profile in the SSBM japanese webpage.

GenG

Smash Lord
ココロのチカラを持つ少年、ネスの登場です。

実は当初、MOTHER3の主人公に変更する予定でしたが、いろいろあって遠回りしながら、元のさやに収まりました。

新必殺ワザ「PKフラッシュ」は、一見よわよわしい飛び道具。
しかも、フツウに飛ばすだけでは相手をすりぬけてしまう特徴があります。

しかし、ボタンを押し続けてPSIを送ることで、どんどん巨大にパワーアップしていき、ボタンを離した瞬間に大放出!
周囲の敵を巻き込みます。
うまくいけば、大痛撃を与えることも。
The page is here.

bbb

Smash Champion
This thread has some good ****, GG Flip, and thanks for editting in the info I requested. :046:

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I have a threory that I hope will come true; for each Nintendo Group (Mario series, Metroid, etc.), there should be at least two characters to choose from. Having said that, I really hope for Diddy Kong (or Diddy/Dixie), Ridley (Zamus still hasn't registered as a character for some reason to me...), someone from the Earthbound series, King Dedede, and maybe the Human from Animal Crossing. And, of course, Geno from SMRPG. Maybe Mallow could be in too?

By the way, I love your sig HiddenTiger :)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Geno does belong to Square. I don't care for animal crossing, but whatever he puts in the game will probablly be good. I trust Sakurai will make a good game. I just wish he would let us know a little more stuff. I'm tired of this guessing game and I want some solid facts sometime soon. Still the info on this thread seems pretty believable but what do I know?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The Mother 3 stuff is actually all fact. Ness's bio on the Melee page confirms a part of it, Famitsu confirms the music bit, and it's pretty confirmed that Sakurai took part in the production of Mother 3. Mother/Earthbound is like... his other "child" after Kirby, even though he's not the director of the series :laugh:

I guess I should mention something else that I just thought of: Meteos. This was Sakurai's latest brainchild, a DS exclusive, and a pretty popular game at that. Will it warrant a character? Not sure, but I doubt there's anything useful for a fighter anyways. Will it warrant a stage/item/hazard? Most definitely.

Oh, and I added an extra bit of info to King Dedede's, which you might be glad to read (and this IS fact)...

GenG

Smash Lord
Nice, I had the tought that the retro poll will come in handy. And this confirms that ALL NINTENDO CHARACTERS were intended to appear in SSB64... For a brief moment while reading that, it seemed to be the best game ever made :laugh:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Nice, I had the tought that the retro poll will come in handy. And this confirms that ALL NINTENDO CHARACTERS were intended to appear in SSB64... For a brief moment while reading that, it seemed to be the best game ever made :laugh:
Seemed to be? Why, it very well is! *slaps GenG with a glove* Why I challenge you to a duel, sir!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Sigurd? Pah! I laugh at your choice of weaklings! I choose the venerable Ebisumaru, the man who makes my icon! We shall see who will win :mad:

...and Banjo-Kazooie, as with any other Rare character, have very very very slim to nill chances of appearing. Considering that Rare was not only bought by Microsoft, but literally ABSORBED (read some of the Rare employee blogs... it's depressing :(), and that Rare can't even let their games on the Virtual Console... I really doubt anybody like Banjo, Conker, or Joanna will be making an appearance.

Once again, to end the confusion: when DKC was made, and the same for Star Fox Adventures, Rare was borrowing Nintendo properties. Anything they created was therefore created for Nintendo. So Diddy, Lanky, Tricky, blah blah blah... all are Nintendo's to use at will. However, when Rare created ORIGINAL software, like Banjo-Kazooie or Perfect Dark, it was simply licensed to Nintendo, meaning Nintendo could use it so long as Rare was in their power, so to speak. Since that no longer is the case, Rare took those properties with them, and lost their developmental control over the Star Fox and Donkey Kong franchises.

Diddy Kong Racing is an anomaly. It has Nintendo owned Diddy in it, but everything else is practically Rare's. So they're working together on the DS remake :p

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Nice info on Dedede, though everyone pretty much knew he was going to be in anyway.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ooh gracias for the information compilation. Any word on what Sakurai thinks about Toad?

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
The Mother 3 stuff is actually all fact. Ness's bio on the Melee page confirms a part of it, Famitsu confirms the music bit, and it's pretty confirmed that Sakurai took part in the production of Mother 3. Mother/Earthbound is like... his other "child" after Kirby, even though he's not the director of the series :laugh:
Sooo... can we assume that basically means Lucas is confirmed?

But what about Ouendan? I know they appeared multiple times in the list, is there any word on what Sakurai thinks of them?

GenG

Smash Lord
About the Mother 3 thing, I can't figure what it's said in this paragraph (from the scan of the concert that will be sponsored by Famitsu), but I spotted Masahiro Sakurai's name there:

D

Deleted member

No character is 100% confirmed (not even close) yet, except those on the site.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
How does Sora have more right to be in Smash Bros.? Sora was featured in a single, minor sidestory on the GBA. Snake has appeared in two major NES titles, a major Gamecube title, and a Gameboy Colour game. And even without that, Snake is special because Hideo Kojima is friends with Sakurai.

I enjoyed the first Kingdom Hearts, even though the main character is about as tolerable as a skin rash, but I just don't think there's enough relevance to Nintendo for Sora to appear in Brawl.
Well im not trying to go all outside the box. I know nothing about the personal relationship between creators of games. I dont look that much into games to try find out about the personal lives of the creators.And as far as "right" goes, I didnt mean how many game titles one had. I had assume that was quite obvious since I had specifically said I dont recall any of snake titles apearing on Nintendo. More oddly the Gamecube title you speak of. Im abit sceptical on that , but ill take your word on it. I dont think anyone would fiddle about something so tedious. And still your not makeing any point to as how many games one have, there were plenty of football games on nintendo ? should we add football players too ?

I ment Gamewise as a whole. Like moves,apperence, features and abilites.
Lets take lloyd for example ( dont know if you played tales of symphonia or not )
The battle set up is smillare to smashbros. the up and b, down b, forward b, ect and basic A attacks to preform moves. I wont go into all the moves themselfs, I dont want to make this along post, if you havent played the game yourself you wouldnt understand anyway, but those who have played it would agree with me completely.

As for Sora. Use the KH2 Version. and use his suits as alternate colors for the game
He had tons of moves it not needed that i go into what moves he could have. he already had a double jump. and others things. I mean chracters like that could ezly be morphed into brawl. But snake ? what could he do ? Im sure he has a gun. b: shoots ?, double jump ? can he even jump once ? Most first person shooters dont allow you to jump, I dont know what they could do with hm. but maybe you do. Because i dont. im sure he'll be a samus clone.

icymatt

Smash Lord
But snake ? what could he do ? Im sure he has a gun. b: shoots ?, double jump ? can he even jump once ? Most first person shooters dont allow you to jump, I dont know what they could do with hm. but maybe you do. Because i dont. im sure he'll be a samus clone.
MGS isn't a First-person shooter. It's an adventure-stealth game, basically Zelda with a focus on sneaking and hiding(this is not exact, it's just the closest comparison).

Snake is limited to explosives in Smash Bros.. That gives him remote mines, flashbangs(used to blind people in the games) and rocket launchers to work with(and they can used in a variety of ways). He also has his box, which would make a good defensive move, as well as martial arts moves to comprise his A techs. If these don't fill his moveset out completely, he can always go Falcon/Fox style and have crazy physical attacks made up for him.

As for Snake's jumping...ain't nothing wrong with giving him a normal double-jump to fit in. Link hardly ever jumped in his game. I would think Snake's reasoning for jumping works exactly the same as Link's.

Please note, I'm not trying to prove you wrong, but rather trying to educate you on how Snake will work. You're right in saying that many characters are a little easier to imagine in Smash, but Snake could be quite interesting.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
On the first page of the Geno thread, it clearly states that Geno is still owned by Square,(the creator of that thread e-mailed Nintendo asking them). Instead of saying, "yes he does" over and over again, can you give us a source?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Doodah, unless you can cite some kind of source (and you can't), Geno is owned by Square. In the credits of Mario & Luigi, it says "Geno used with permission by Square." Nintendo would not have said that if they owned the character. That'd be like Sega saying "Sonic used with permission from Sega." And Nintendo has not bought the character since then. As such, this means that Geno belongs to Square.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
1) I'm the one who emailed Nintendo about it. The guy who I talked to confirmed that Nintendo has not bought any of the Mario RPG stuff.

2) I don't even know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom