• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Top Characters, and what the Rumor Mill suggests Sakurai has said about them

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You think having premium will save you from being banned? Lol. No it won't. Expecially if you continue being stupid, but hey, do what you want, you are not effecting me...but spamming makes me sad. At least this topic gives me something to think about though. It is hard to tell if they are rumors or facts.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
*NOTE: This just in! http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81891
Go there, and read a bit of history! I completely forgot about this, and eternally thank GenG for posting it again and freshening our minds :)
Basically, there was a similar poll for Melee in '99 (which I remember taking; they had it on the NOA site as well). If you notice, the number 1 choices pretty much all appeared in Melee in some form or another. Sakurai also separated the suggestions by series, and then commented on a few. What he says about Dedede is pretty profound.
Essentially: He intended for Dedede to appear in the original, but ran out of time and space. He also had the same happen for others like WARIO, PEACH, and BOWSER. And now go back, and look at the poll. And then your copy of Melee. And the Brawl trailer. Get it? Got it? Good. Now who is the ONLY number one character who does NOT appear in Melee/Brawl in any form (other than a trophy)? :)
I think we have our first confirmed Secret Fighter for Brawl *though I wouldn't jump too soon into any assumptions, just pointing out the very likely conclusion*
I'm gonna say Dedede, if that's not it, who is it?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say Dedede, if that's not it, who is it?
You got the cookie ;)

Not that I know he's in. Just saying it's the logical conclusion, you know? I don't work for Nintendo or any crap, for the umpteenth time, so I wouldn't know for sure :laugh:

Now, I don't know if he's said anything about Toad. I won't add the bugger to the first post because, well, he appears once on the Brawl poll, and, despite being like... fourth on the Melee, and popularly requested by NOA staff members, Sakurai hasn't said jack. And nobody's really pushed him other than those three sources (I mean, obviously us guys, but that doesn't make much a difference...)

As for the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Nintendo's apparently really excited to release it over here in the States, because the anime/gamer culture has gotten so crazy that what was once ridiculous "back pages of the game magazine humor article" fare is now everybody's must own title :p It happens a lot with games now (Katamari, anyone?). But, anyways, he actually really likes the idea. I don't remember if Samurai translated all his responses, or if one actually does say "I like Ouendan," but a part of me wants to say he commented on it in the polls alongside Prof. Kawashima. Anyone wanna confirm or disprove that? But regardless, it's an idea he'd love. I know for a fact he did comment on Kawashima and loved the idea, and Ouendan is RIGHT up that same alley...

...was there something else? I don't remember. OWELL.

EDIT: OH, the SNES Smash thing. Yeah, it was said a few years back when SSB64 was announced. IGN was like "yeah, it's a game they were gonna release on the SNES using the FX chip only in Japan, but it got pushed to the 64, and only recently has been announced for US release just to test the waters." Not only was it going to be SNES, but I guess I should mention Japan-only as well. How's THAT for lucky if we got it the first time around? :)

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't wanna jump to any conclusions, but I'm pretty sure DeDeDe's a shoe-in for Brawl, which is FANTASTIC. I think he'd make such a good character.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
=o It's the 4th generation pokemon for the DS! Dude that game will kick major bootay. I want it now!! T.T Anyways Flip Troopa with that info it means that maybe Dedee will be a shoo in for Brawl. Unfortunatley..Megaman might be left out again.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
As for the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Nintendo's apparently really excited to release it over here in the States, because the anime/gamer culture has gotten so crazy that what was once ridiculous "back pages of the game magazine humor article" fare is now everybody's must own title :p It happens a lot with games now (Katamari, anyone?). But, anyways, he actually really likes the idea. I don't remember if Samurai translated all his responses, or if one actually does say "I like Ouendan," but a part of me wants to say he commented on it in the polls alongside Prof. Kawashima. Anyone wanna confirm or disprove that? But regardless, it's an idea he'd love. I know for a fact he did comment on Kawashima and loved the idea, and Ouendan is RIGHT up that same alley...
Yee-hee! That's what I want to hear! :chuckle: Also, consider this: Ouendan, even though they are from a Japan-only title, would still appeal to a global audience like Sakurai wants. I forget where I read this, but Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!!! sold better in the U.S. as an import title then it did in Japan.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Is Pearl / Diamond coming out before Brawl or after? It would be nice to see a spoiler in Brawl ;)
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are coming out September 28, 2006, in Japan. SSBB will be released sometime 2007 in Japan.

However, in the U.S., the Pokemon games and SSBB may be coming out around the same time.

So, there will be 4th generation pokemon in the game. Brawl may be the first place we Americans see them, though.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
All games could use more penguins.

Off Topic: This isn't spam at all.

On topic:

FlipTroopa said:
*NOTE: This just in! http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81891
Go there, and read a bit of history! I completely forgot about this, and eternally thank GenG for posting it again and freshening our minds
Basically, there was a similar poll for Melee in '99 (which I remember taking; they had it on the NOA site as well). If you notice, the number 1 choices pretty much all appeared in Melee in some form or another. Sakurai also separated the suggestions by series, and then commented on a few. What he says about Dedede is pretty profound.
Essentially: He intended for Dedede to appear in the original, but ran out of time and space. He also had the same happen for others like WARIO, PEACH, and BOWSER. And now go back, and look at the poll. And then your copy of Melee. And the Brawl trailer. Get it? Got it? Good. Now who is the ONLY number one character who does NOT appear in Melee/Brawl in any form (other than a trophy)?
I think we have our first confirmed Secret Fighter for Brawl *though I wouldn't jump too soon into any assumptions, just pointing out the very likely conclusion*
This logic does make Dedede seem like a shoe-in. Also, the fact that Sakurai is making the game almost garauntees it. At least now Kiby could very well have 2 familiar faces as well as adding another villian into smash

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yee-hee! That's what I want to hear! :chuckle: Also, consider this: Ouendan, even though they are from a Japan-only title, would still appeal to a global audience like Sakurai wants. I forget where I read this, but Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!!! sold better in the U.S. as an import title then it did in Japan.
Yes yes, I admit, I bought Quendan as an import first day it came out from http://www.lik-sang.com.

In Nintendo Power they say they are brining it over to Maerica with an original soundtrack than the J-Pop one as "Elite Beat Agents". Should I buy the American one too?

GenG

Smash Lord
Yes yes, I admit, I bought Quendan as an import first day it came out from http://www.lik-sang.com.

In Nintendo Power they say they are brining it over to Maerica with an original soundtrack than the J-Pop one as "Elite Beat Agents". Should I buy the American one too?
Elite Beats is ANOTHER GAME, not the typical JP to US ported title. It's like a sequel, done by the same people with new stories, new songs and new everything. I'd absolutely suggest you to buy it if you liked Ouendan.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Elite Beats is ANOTHER GAME, not the typical JP to US ported title. It's like a sequel, done by the same people with new stories, new songs and new everything. I'd absolutely suggest you to buy it if you liked Ouendan.
An entirely new game? yeah, I'm buying it. I enjoyed Quendan more than I did Jump superstars or Diagasso! Band Brothers. (I only have three Japanese titles on my DS T_T )

GenG

Smash Lord
Ouendan it's definitely one of the most enjoyables titles I picked lately. I've got Phoenix Wright (must have), Jump Superstars (great game if you enjoy Shonen Jump), Bleach DS (great 2D fighter overall), Stafy 4 (meh, Stafy 3 was better), Castlevania DoS, Mario 64, Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS. But Ouendan and PW beat them all.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Ouendan it's definitely one of the most enjoyables titles I picked lately. I've got Phoenix Wright (must have), Jump Superstars (great game if you enjoy Shonen Jump), Bleach DS (great 2D fighter overall), Stafy 4 (meh, Stafy 3 was better), Castlevania DoS, Mario 64, Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS. But Ouendan and PW beat them all.
I've played Pheonix Wright but do not own, but its hellza fun, but not as good as Trauma Center (See the Derek Stiles for Brawl thread in my sig please :) ), is Bleach DS anygood? speaking of Bleach, it's the only series I don't have in Jump Superstars. I've got Ruroni Kenshin, Waepon Alchemist (Buso Renkin), Yu Yu Hakusho, HunterxHunter, even friking Pyu to Fuku JAGUAR!, but no Bleach. Stafy looks fun too.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
You don't have Trauma Center: Under the Knife? That game is amazing. I only just got my DS, so I only have 3 games, but I still say Trauma Center is worth every penny.

:EDIT: That was directed at GenG. hemightbegiant posts to fast >_>

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
You don't have Trauma Center: Under the Knife? That game is amazing. I only just got my DS, so I only have 3 games, but I still say Trauma Center is worth every penny.

well, I don't have it either, but I borrowed it from my friend and fell in love with it, as you can tell be my dr. Derek stiles for Brawl thread, so that post could count to either of us :ohwell:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
You people and your stupid DS games.

Now that is a quality system.

And before we get even more off-topic, Diddy, Ridley, King DeDeDe seem to be the most obvious candidates of who will be in Brawl for the first time.

It's about time King DeDeDe got into the fraybrawl.

GenG

Smash Lord

Yes, I don't have Trauma Center yet (although a lot of people have recommended it), because I heard the Wii one (Second Opinion) will be a remake with new doctors and surgeries which would be nice to start with, and I haven't found the DS one at low price. But I'll surely pick it when I have the chance.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well, Phoenix Wright's amazingess start in Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 is the omgwtfthisgameisgod. Bleach DS is like the genesis' Yuyu Hakusho game, both are made by Treasure. It's a great 2D serious fighting game, like King of Fighters but a lot of air movement. And about JSS, the only Bleach representative is Ichigo, which is very cool (he can use bankai in his 7 koma version). I'll be getting Jump Ultimate Stars this fall too.
Yas Nintendo or Ganbarion revealed what new Manga series will be in Jump Ultimate stars? I was suprised Saint Seiya or Kinnukuman wasn't in Jump Super Stars. I hope it has sexy Cammando XD That s*** is hilarious

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Thanks to FlipTroopa, our topsite (smashbrawl.com) has a new post after nearly a month of nothing to report. Thanks. :)
w00t! :chuckle:

And dude, Gizmondo, DS, Game and Watch... they are all but dwarves against the beauty that is

My buddy owns one, and it is waaaaaaay too awesome

BrawlinNess

Smash Cadet
I really like this list but I have one complaint...one character that is almost guaranteed is Olimar from the Pikmin series. He was noted 3 times by Sakurai AND he's first party Nintendo. Also, Sakurai mentioned that he was extremely interested in Olimar and how his Pikmin would be incorporated in the game.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Congratz to Fliptroopa, and I agree that Captain Olimar should be added to the first page.

GenG

Smash Lord
About Sonic: Miyamoto has stated many times that he wanted Sonic in Melee, and they are popping up the Sonic thing when they talk about Snake in most interviews. There was a Yuji Naka interview in EDGE which said that he was working with Nintendo to put Sonic in and the experience left some doors open to a possible future collaboration.

And Sonic is MENTIONED IN THE POLL! Why this wasn't counted? WHY?!

ニックネーム ■ Ω
投稿テーマ ■ おたよりなど

DX発売から長い時間が経過しましたが友人が集まれば必ずプレイします。
友人の家に泊まりこんでプレイ。ひたすらスマブラ。「☆の数(撃墜数)が○○個までいったらソニックが出るぞ!!」なんて冗談を言いながら(笑)
これほど長い時間遊んだゲームはスマブラだけです。
本当に面白い!!何回も言いますけど面白い!!

↑に出てきた友人とは現在喧嘩中です。
そろそろ仲直りしてスマブラしたいな・・・
To rough english...

Long time have passed from DX release, but when the friend gets together, we sure play. You stay in the house of the friend and play with him a lot. We joke with Smash. “When * number (frequency of koing) you say up to 0, Sonic appears!!” How while saying joke, (laughing) the game which this much long time played is just Smash. It's truly funny!! Don't matter if you call him many times, it is funny!! The friend who appears in the ↑ presently is in the midst of quarrelling. Being reconciled gradually, Smash we would like to do…
And then, the final blow. FI-FI-FI-FINISHING STRIKE!

Check this.

:) Chances :)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ehh I really don't care about Sonic. I won't cry if he's in, but I'm not praying for his inclusion. I liked the Genesis era, but afterward it just didn't do anything for me. And I've always been a Nintendo fanboy over Sega. =) But (possibly) good news for people that have really been hoping for him.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I would say something about some of these rumors but thats it. . . .their just rumors.

But I do think that that sword guy you drew has a good chance of being one of those old characters few people know in brawl(Like pitt).

Top Bottom