• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I've kinda lost my faith in Ridley making it in as playable, as much as I would LOVE to see him make it in.
I was stuck in thought about this last night and my brain has come to the conclusion he won't be playable due to well... a lot of details. The fact the potentially full roster leak lacks him, the fact that sakurai showed his shadow accompanied by the words "boss character". And even gameplay aspects like .. how he;d fit in kirby's mouth.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I've kinda lost my faith in Ridley making it in as playable, as much as I would LOVE to see him make it in.
I was stuck in thought about this last night and my brain has come to the conclusion he won't be playable due to well... a lot of details. The fact the potentially full roster leak lacks him, the fact that sakurai showed his shadow accompanied by the words "boss character". And even gameplay aspects like .. how he;d fit in kirby's mouth.
Well... That is too bad, because Ridley is playable in Super Smash Bros. 4, regardless of the "lot of details".

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well we have the shadow analysis showing he is maybe a few millimetres higher than bowser. Bowser and DK fit into Kirbys mouth. Also 3 Bowsers fit in Kirbys final smash pot in Brawl. I rest my case.

Last edited:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Hit me up with that King Boo and Dark Samus too! Also make sure to put in the Meta Ridley costume!
What is the best Ridley fight according to you guys? For me, it's Meta Ridley in Prime 3, that fight is just too awesome to handle!
Meta Ridley in Prime 1. The flying part is a little stale, but its really neat when he starts flying around the crater and swooping in and bombing the temple grounds. It gets real intense when he lands to fight you. Claustrophobic battles with huge enemies always gets me riled up, and man is his attacks extreme, especially his charges. I remember arriving to him for the first time ever, it took me so many times to beat him when he began his land game! :awesome:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I have been wanting Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. ever since the first installment. I have been waiting for Ridley for over 15 years. I am curious how long other Ridley fans have been waiting.
Not as long as you, but about as long as this account is old. That's when my eyes were first opened to smash speculation.

D

Deleted member

And even gameplay aspects like .. how he;d fit in kirby's mouth.
Kirby has always been able to suck enemies bigger than himself.(Except for most bosses, but it's not because of their size in most cases.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
Sakurai knows he is an extremely requested character. If Ridley was just a boss character why didn't he actually show him? He showed his shadow instead which leads me to believe he's hiding something. Like everyone has said, he known for trolling. I personally believe he's in the game and the leakes that said he's in the game have yet to be wrong. Besides wouldn't u save the best for last? Just think how awesome the reveal trailer will be with both mewtwo and ridley. I can't wait

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Since it's close to the release and people will likely be trying to figure out how to unlock the remaining characters, I wonder what conditions you have to meet to unlock Ridley. Hope it isn't something like unlock all characters, though I'm sure most people would do that anyway. Maybe 10 games of Vs. with Samus, or use her and/or ZSS to finish something like classic mode. Can't remember all of the conditions to unlock characters in the previous games so kind of stumped.

Last edited:

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure unlocking Ridley would be something a bit more involved, like Mewtwo. I highly doubt it would be something simple.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some unlocks required a few days of play time, just as a countermeasure to sellers breaking the street date.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Since it's close to the release and people will likely be trying to figure out how to unlock the remaining characters, I wonder what conditions you have to meet to unlock Ridley. Hope it isn't something like unlock all characters, though I'm sure most people would do that anyway. Maybe 10 games of Vs. with Samus, or use her and/or ZSS to finish something like classic mode. Can't remember all of the conditions to unlock characters in the previous games so kind of stumped.
you have to look we must consider the fact that the needed thing to get him unlocked is so much/hard that the esrb guy did not have him but most of the other characters. so i think it must be a tought thing

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
I'm sure unlocking Ridley would be something a bit more involved, like Mewtwo. I highly doubt it would be something simple.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some unlocks required a few days of play time, just as a countermeasure to sellers breaking the street date.
I agree with this, i think unlocking ridley will be pretty hard or time consuming.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
This would have been solved so much faster if we got to see if the all star lock icon was still in tact when the duckhunt dog was unlocked.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm glad to see you guys didn't break 1900 pages yet. Please keep up the slow posting!

just about 48 hours until I can start downloading the game, and start digging up all the secrets! I wonder what the biggest one will be...

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
You know on the April Smash Direct, Sakurai said that other boss characters will appear on other stages. I think he was just playing with these words because Ridley is a boss character and he will appear on other stages, just like Bowser and Ganondorf.
You all may have already said that, but I thought I would just put it up here again.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Well, I might aswell get this off my chest before this thread closes its doors for the last time~

I can still remember back when I used to be a detractor. I never really liked the idea of playable characters like Little Mac, Pac Man, Miis, and even Rosalina. But seeing that I naturally adapt to things because of my sign, I've grown fond of all of them after a given time...all except Ridley.

I might've overexaggerated how I was when I used to be a Ridley detractor. I felt it would be wrong to downscale him, but I had the feeling other detractors were making things unnecessarily complicated. It didn't help at all that supporters were still saying he wasn't disconfirmed even though he shares the same section with the Yellow Devil, inevitably implying his disconfirmation... But that was before I looked past the face value of things.

A good and funny man by the name of Relax Alax made a video not long before the events of E3. The fact he was coming from a neutral standpoint already made me feel I should listen to the entire thing. IMO it was a good start to learn, even if it's become outdated since. I believe this has, and always will be, Alax's greatest video.

I don't remember how, but I was sent to an essay made by aldelaro5 describing Ridley's chances. The complexity, energy, and confidence he placed into that essay almost gave me the impression this man was insane! Nevertheless, Alax already planted the seed inside me, and I would spiral into a meltdown in front of Miiverse before crawling back out as a Ridley supporter....

(EDIT: just noticed the enuendo.
)

Ever since, I've felt my mind has never been this open! I've looked at the snake/mongoose rivalry between supporter and detractor, and I noticed the detractors have almost always thrown the first punch since the beginning.
"I think Ridley should be playable cuz he's cool, and is important to Metroid! ^^"
"No way, he's too big. Get your logic straight."
"Well, why not scale him down so he isn't too big? Its not like it hasn't been done before."
"Nuh-uh! It only works for some characters. Ridley would look stupid."
"That sounds alittle unfair, don't you think? :("
"No, you're just delusional, that's all. Give up that wet dream of yours, and face reality!"

And just like that, it became a bandwagon. For fifteen years, neither side has gotten anywhere. Shokio's video was to ensure Ridley fans were to be silenced, thus it turned into what is perhaps the internet's biggest flame war yet. Looking back, I feel ashamed for being part of such big bullies. I'm surprised there are still supporters from 2001 that have endured this prejudice, and even Mew2King, one of the great pioneers in Melee's competitive play, wants Ridley in! That takes alot of stubbornness and determination...more than I could ever have. Ridley is, by far, the most requested in the west, so either there is something the detractors don't get, or the large majority of America that wants him is that stupid...including Mew2King.

Because of my weak patience and determination, I've already submitted to reality that all this speculation was pointless. Nintendo may have indeed messed up their big marketing opprotunity by leaving a stage hazard like Ridley ambiguous when they perfectly had the time and power to clear up all the confusion generated. They can't possibly think Ridley would make great hype for a stage boss, when not only has he been nothing but a boss in previous games, but is actually a downgrade from his role in SSE! They've not learned their mistake from the Wii U if this is their mindset. Unless Sakurai gives us a "Sorry, I tried", I don't think I can ever forgive him for dancing around Ridley for 13 months, only to kick us in the gonadz after the false hype we've generated. People deserve to show their displeasure if this happens, and I can predict many boycotting the 3DS and Wii U versions; nobody can change that, no matter how spoiled they make them sound.

I wanna be able to see detractors as normal people again. Ever since I became a supporter, I knew I'd eventually fall to a state where something's wrong with me, and that so happens to be how I look at detractors. I know they're okay people once you look past that, but I can't seem to. I constantly feel like I gotta avoid them or prove something to them. I wanna be able to run into Shokio at Wal-Mart, and be like "Oh cool, its Shoks." and not be like "Oh ****, its the mascot of Ridley haters, Shokio! I gotta hide before he talks me down like I don't know better!" (fun fact: we both live in Dallas, so it shouldn't be too hard to run into him) Most importantly, I wanna feel free, free from fear of my opinions, and how people will judge me for them!

This takes me to what Ridley has become in these years; a symbol. Detractors may look at it as another sign of being delusional, but I bet everyone else can say otherwise. This has become like a Pinocchio scenario; Ridley is Pinocchio who wishes to become playable, while Sakurai is the blue fairy that can make it happen. Some see Ridley's inclusion as a symbol of justice, payback, equality. I see it as "never feel ashamed of who you want for Smash." With Shokio's video discouraging Ridley fans, more haters have come to beat down on fans for other characters. Smash depends on the voices of fans being heard, and those voices can't be heard if they're being silenced. If Ridley's confirmed, it should show to always make your voice heard, and do not be discouraged by another person's opinion. Disconfirmed, however...If the title "Ridley Fan" wasn't a Star of David before, it certainly will be.

I really do like the confidence this thread gives off...but it really scares me most of the time. I'm a strong believer in karma, and those with the mindset of "Ridley will be playable" scare me the most because its begging for karma to jynx them! I want everyone in this thread to have the mindset that Ridley's chances are 50/50, but you can still lean more on him likely being playable. This is going back to aldelaro5's essay, and how he sounded crazy to me at first. This thread is so cringe-worthy and off-topic, mods are dying to finally put a bullet in this thread's head! If Ridley's disconfirmed, there will never be a future Ridley thread, and we will never have a place to feel perfectly safe with talking about Ridley stuff. :(

As a safe word of advice, I want everyone to keep their karma high so that Ridley's reveal can truely be guaranteed; every good deed counts.

So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.

• Has the speculation really been worth it?

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?

• Why do you want Ridley playable?

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

God, that took too long.
although this is likely to be overlooked as most of my posts are, I still kinda feel obligated to answer you Aura
1.Honestly I'm not sure, especially since I didn't so any of the speculation myself, just sat and watched.
2.Definitely, it feels like Sakurai is trying for more fan favorites this time around, and for how long it has been since people wanted him, it is definitely justified.
3. Not a mind reader or a fortune teller, but I can say with certainty that more people will like Ridley's inclusion than dislike, after all, we have seen detractors who DO want Ridley in, and him being in wouldn't upset them or anything.
4. Yes, they felt obligated to clear up others roles in the game, what was the point of singling out one of the already most ambiguous characters to make even more controversial?
5. Not really, they're the same company that gave me plenty of good games, no point in complaining on something that never was a HUGE deal to me anyways.
6.Yes, it's doing the exact same thing over and over and expecting different results, people have clearly wanted Ridley for a long time, and by leaving him in a non playable role again would just be bad
7. I REALLY dislike the idea of making DLC for this game, that makes it feel less of a full game, and by including one of the biggest characters only in DLC and not put in the full game, Nintendo just shows how outta touch they can be
8. I got some good characters to try out, so I won't be that mad at Sakurai, though I would still be disappointed that one of the most popular character suggestions was completely ignored.
9. I'm a stubborn person, so not likely, plus some of the evidence we have felt a bit too straw-graspy for me so most of my hopes are just opinionated.
10. Ridley to me is a good representation of a stellar series that deserved more than 2 versions of the same person, that and a badass looking bringer of death
11. I want Ridley playable because I love the Metroid series, I've played every game and read the manga (fairly recently actually) and I've always enjoyed those fights with Ridley (pretty sure the prime 3 freefall was my first) and I want to see how it is to play as that malicious being of pure destruction that I've fought many times.
12. Considering how it is an opinion, it is biased beyond belief
13. I think of Ridley's fans as the same as the fans in any other support thread, nice people who want Ridley playable mixed with some bad apples who don't like it if anyone else who they didn't care about made it in instead of Ridley
14. Yes, people are allowed to have personal suggestions for Smash, and it's clear that just because the suggestion isn't popular, doesn't make it impossible, (see Wii fit trainer)
15. There needs be an end to this war, and unfortunately that won't happen, but by having Ridley playable in Smash 4, it would definitely quell the hatred a bit
Sheesh I didn't think I had this much to say, well, I'm going back to the shadows guys, enjoy your speculation for the next couple days, and try not to join the leak bandwagon till you can be certain (videos always help)

Chrollo.

fka president wario
All of those things could easily be countered into Ridley's favor:
1. If Ridley is in the game as a playable character, which he most likely is, he would probably be the hardest to unlock (along with MewTwo and DIxie but that's unrelated).
2. Sakurai is a huge troll and he probably put the words boss character to throw us off.
3. Pretty sure Bowser of all characters could fit in Kirby's mouth, why wouldn't Ridley?

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Im expecting the best and hoping for even better!! Why not? It's just my hopes and dreams that will get miserably crushed, and at lets not forget Dr. Mario is back..............*cries in the corner*
Dr.Mario is actually welcome in my books... just as long as he brings Mewtwo with him as well.
Also welcome to the forum.

All of those things could easily be countered into Ridley's favor:
1. If Ridley is in the game as a playable character, which he most likely is, he would probably be the hardest to unlock (along with MewTwo and DIxie but that's unrelated).
2. Sakurai is a huge troll and he probably put the words boss character to throw us off.
3. Pretty sure Bowser of all characters could fit in Kirby's mouth, why wouldn't Ridley?
The fact still stands that Sakurai said there would be more stage bosses, and then showed what was undeniably Ridley from metroid. On a metroid stage.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Can't Kirby eat people who have been affected by the Super Mushroom? Why is that even brought up as a problem?

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
At this point this feels like Ridley's theme.

Last edited:

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
Can't Kirby eat people who have been affected by the Super Mushroom? Why is that even brought up as a problem?
Yeah? Then what about Waluigi, Takumar-Oh. Oh. I'm not doing one of those posts.

Okay. It's cool. I can do this. Uuhhhhh...

Oh! Ridley is always the exception! Forever and ever!

Also, I don't have a heartwarming story or any deep connection to Ridley. I've never felt hounded on or mocked for wanting Ridley. I didn't even care one way or the other when this game was first announced...because I'm a huge Mega Man fanboy and I've been max hyped for this game since that beautiful, beautiful trailer. But you guys, oh, you guys... You were so hyped (and I mean tangible excitement, happiness and just good times, not spam!bad!hype). And, I've always liked Ridley a lot, I actually am a pretty big Metroid fan (the only games I never owned were Other M and Pinball). Gradually, after I came here, after lurking since page 400ish, I made an account and started posting. And being a part of this community, a small part though it may be, it got to me. I touched my hearts. I'm hyped for Smash either way, Mega Man sold that game to me, but Ridley? If everyone's favorite Space Dragon is in...he'll be just as hype (again, that's good hype, not the bad stuff).

And so, Night Vale Space Pirates we go back to our wait. Back to the speculation. Back to punching terrible fake leaks in the nose. And as we do so, I say, "GET READILY FOR RIDLEY!"

Chrollo.

fka president wario
The fact still stands that Sakurai said there would be more stage bosses, and then showed what was undeniably Ridley from metroid. On a metroid stage.
Technically, the direct said, from what I remember, "more boss characters", for example Bowser. Ridley falls into that category. And again, Sakurai probably did all of that to throw us off. So yeah, my point still stands.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
And yet...no POTD showing Ridley or anything about a stage boss on Pyrosphere explaining the mechanics.

That's a bit fishy to me.
Fishy yes, but it doesn't help us in one way or another.
He may just be leaving that info out because he doesn't deem a stage hazard that big of a focal point yet... especially since it's likely a Wii U only thing.

Technically, the direct said, from what I remember, "more boss characters", for example Bowser. Ridley falls into that category. And again, Sakurai probably did all of that to throw us off. So yeah, my point still stands.
"Other boss character appearances"
also note he's never called Bowser, ganon or D3 by the tagline "boss" before. It's all too cryptic yet still in favour of crushing our dreams.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

1. If Ridley is a playable character, yes.

2. Yes, there is no reason to leave him out.

3. 90%. Contrary to popular belief, most Detractors would be alright with his inclusion, and many more people seem content with the roster that Ridley's inclusion would only feel like an added bonus. The small minority who would object to his inclusion are those who would dislike the way he is represented (downsized) and would prefer he stay faithful to his design, though its possible Sakurai's genius comes through and he found and great middle ground. If that were the case, then I'd say 96%.

4. Yes. I wouldn't hold anything against Nintendo, as I am still getting an awesome game from them, but I would question their marketing team. You don't leave the customer wondering on something for a year.

5. No, but I can understand if people are upset on the matter, leading people on for a year is a bad move.

6. I wouldn't mind DLC, but there's just something about newcomer announcements before release that just can't be replicated with DLC releases.

7. I wouldn't be upset, but I would be more weary on anything Sakurai does from now on.

8. No, I'd question Sakurai's.

9. Ridley for me represents the controversy in character inclusions. On one hand he represents very likely candidates( characters who are popular, and relevant from their series) Bowser, Palutena, Rosalina, etc, to the unlikely characters (characters who wouldn't theoretically work on a technical, or other conditions), Goku, Shrek, Tingle, etc. He's the ultimate gray area, and his inclusion would either shift things more to the white(more possible choices), or exclusion shifting to black( less possible choices). Character speculation for the next Smash would be changed depending on his fate in this game.

10. To tell you the truth, Ridley was never one of my most requested characters, but I've grown tired of all the skepticism surrounding him. I love when people can have an open discussion on potential newcomers, and dislike such restricted/safe predictions. Besides, Ridley is sort of a safe bet anyway. But I digress, we will be seeing far less skepticism if he's playable, and that alone is why I want him in the game.

11. Well, it depends, if you consider my intention of wanting a more open speculation discussion as a bias, then I guess it is.

12. I truly admire the perseverance of the fandom for Ridley, though some of them can get a bit too defensive for their own good, not to say it isn't for good reason.

13. If a character fits Sakurai's 2 principles of
1 Has to have appeared in a video game first
2 Has to have been in atleast one game that was on a Nintendo system
Then I think anyone is fair game. Until choices of characters who fit the 2 mention criteria starts to wear thin, then don't expect characters like Goku, Master Chief, who while meet one of the criterias, don't meet both.

14. A resounding yes. There is no reason he shouldn't be a playable character. Yes, the size argument is null and void, folks.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The 12th here. Though I imagine it'll be around the time it becomes the 13th in Japan.
I read that it was the same thing as the japanese public demo a few days ago. If thats so... No Ridley from them :(

Chrollo.

fka president wario
"Other boss character appearances"
also note he's never called Bowser, ganon or D3 by the tagline "boss" before. It's all too cryptic yet still in favour of crushing our dreams.
But they're still bosses of their respective games like Ridley is. It's still also in favor of him trying to throw us off, it could go either way at this point.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
I read that it was the same thing as the japanese public demo a few days ago. If thats so... No Ridley from them :(
I don't know where you have read that but how can your source know that if the embargo isn't lifted yet and they are not allowed to talk about anything that happened in there.

Last edited:
Fishy yes, but it doesn't help us in one way or another.
He may just be leaving that info out because he doesn't deem a stage hazard that big of a focal point yet... especially since it's likely a Wii U only thing.
It just seems very strange to not mention him ONCE in any POTD since Pyrosphere's reveal last year and especially after the Smash Direct, he has also never referred to Ridley by his name like he did with Palutena.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFsnb25cQ

In fact, some people were saying she was deconfirmed thanks to that POTD.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68448277

Which was silly to think so.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
So.. the final build of the game has everybody announced except for Lucina? :p

Last edited:

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Lets answers this shall we?

Yes, totally. The character deserves it. I have had much fun both laughing/arguing with the detractors and also talking with fellow supporters. If any of this "helps" somewhat to the inclusion of Ridley? Yes, definetely worth it

Why shouldnt it? We had gathered a huge amount of objective reasons in order to do so. He is important to Nintendo, he is important in videogame history, he is the main villain of a classic Nintendo franchise and Smash Bros both needs villains and more representation in some sagas (this time Metroid); now add the fact that Ridley is extremely popular and demanded in Western. So yeah, I think its totally justified.

Well I guess it goes a bit this way. The detractors are usually either "haters" or they dont simply give a *** about the character. Most of them just have fun with saying "its too big" to laugh at others, while others are simply close minded saying "He was a boss in Brawl"... Both arguments have totally been depleted so I dont really see that. I would say that there as as equal number of supporters as detractors, but the huge amount of people who "dont care" go mostly to the detractor side. You know what is funny? In the end once he is confirmed, those haters, those detractors, those hypocrites WILL USE RIDLEY! And thats the sad thing. So lets say 50% supports - 40% Haters - 10 % who dont care

The unprofessional thing would be if in the end he isnt a character. Because that would be playing with people´s hope and hype, which is very unprofessional, deceiving the customer. If Ridley ends being playable, as much as we want, it would have been just one of Sakurai biggest and classic trollings, but it wouldnt be unprofessional, just mastermind trolling. Because if Ridley was never going to be playable and they did ALL THIS TEASING for a year Nintendo/Sakurai is/are a cruel monster xD

Well I guess. First of all we should know the main reason why Ridley wasnt playable, despite all these facts and popularity, we would REALLY need a reason, some explanation should be given to us by Sakurai. After seeing that we would see what we can do, but nevertheless we need to complain if we didnt get what we wanted, their job is to give people the type of games they like, critize goes for that. I really want to beleive they DO KNOW that we want Ridley and that we dont have to public complain Nintendo for not knowing that we wanted Ridley so bad in smash.

Yes. Not just the fact that I do strongly believe he deserves to be playable, but that would be like spitting in our faces. EVEN if Ridley wasnt playable he is important to Nintendo damn it! Why would you keep one of the biggest villains and iconic characters of Nintendo in one single version of the game? That would be very stupid and unprofessional if you ask me, so I would really complain about it.

Yes, that would be a proper solution. We would see the reasons after he not being playable in the first place, but if in the end Ridley isnt playable, making him a FREE (Pls free) DLC as playable character? I would be happy

Pff xDDD That sounds hard. I guess if there is TRULY TRULY TRULY a big/understandable reason for that... I will buy the game nevertheless xD Smash is an awesome title and the roster is awesome as well, but that would be a low blow... I prefer to think that wont happen, Sakurai knows that we want Ridley and he isnt that blind xD

No, I think my reasons are solid and fine. I will have to see main reason why he isnt playable if thats the case, but I think I will keep with my point.

He represents the Metroid series as much as Samus does. He is the main villain after all, her nemesis, the mastermind behind most of the events of the entire franchise! The metroids are the key to his plans, Samus is her enemy and Ridley is the mastermind. He is to Samus what Bowser are Ganondorf are to Mario and Link, he is the 3rd biggest Nintendo villain and he is less comical than Bowser and more cruel and deadly than Ganondorf but as dreadful as any villain should be. We need him here, Smash its his place among the other villains, and a chance to see Ridley beating Samus

Besides all the objective reasons I have (And mostly everybody in this thread), I have my own personal reasons. Ridley is a space Dragon/Pterodactyl and I totally love dragons. His design is cool, his personality/behaviour is dark as any good villain should be. Metroid needs more representation, I feel bad seeing that only Samus (TWICE!) is representing the Metroid series. I hope Metroid gets better known if they get more representation, and well... Lets be honest xDDD I would love so much to shut all haters mouths up!

Well there is obviously bias in here, I like Ridley. But besides that, there are a lot of neutral/objetive reasons so lets leave it with that. I have a lot of personal reasons and also a lot of logical reasons

They are awesome people (Most of the people I have known here in this thread) and they have been bearing this burden with me during all these years. 13 years waiting for our fellow space pirate to be playable, hanging in there with all our problems. You fans, friends, guys, you are awesome ^^

I dont understand this question owo... I mean, obviously if a character has an appealing personality/face he gets more popularity, so they have easier ways to get to the roster. All characters are important and if they are all in the roster is because they deserve it, or at least, because Sakurai (Who is the only opinion that matters) thinks it so.

and lastly...

• Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

YES! OMG YES XDDDDDD We have been waiting this FOR YEARS! Now its the time! Now all the pieces have gathered, all the fans are here, Nintendo is listening to their fans now more than ever... NOW! ITS TIME!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Less than 72 hours to know everything about the 3DS version, how are you guys doing? have seen people now falling in despair once again, we must be strong now guys xDD.

Remember what we are fighting for!

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Less than 72 hours to know everything about the 3DS version, how are you guys doing? have seen people now falling in despair once again, we must be strong now guys xDD.

Remember what we are fighting for!
Hate to admit it, but it's actually becoming harder to sleep at night. Feels like I'm missing confirmations as I close my eyes. Pretty odd since I believe the leaked roster we saw is the final one, but I guess the hype can't be helped. Still crossing my fingers for Mewtwo, K. Rool and Rids (funny enough, I'm most worried about K. Rool out of the lot).

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know on the April Smash Direct, Sakurai said that other boss characters will appear on other stages. I think he was just playing with these words because Ridley is a boss character and he will appear on other stages, just like Bowser and Ganondorf.
You all may have already said that, but I thought I would just put it up here again.
For the last frigging time...

The Japanese caption was clearly and explicitly referring to the stage boss mechanic.

It just didn't specifically reffered to Ridley.

EDIT: As for the questions, I'll answer them once I get back home. Kinda don't have much time here.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.

I used to think so. 3 months ago I was having a blast participating in speculation of this game. But I burnt out on that a lonnnnnnng time ago. Just looking at this thread and how many times we've gone in circles over the same arguments and subjects shows that speculation has gotten stale.

Yes. Main antagonist of the Metroid series (At least I consider him to be), one of the most requested characters, and one of the greatest villains Nintendo has

Most people would like him. The haters and supporters on the internet are really the minority of the Smash community. Ridley's a giant purple space pirate dragon. People will like him :p

If Ridley isn't playable, yes, especially since they cleared it up for literally every other character there was confusion about!

If Ridley isn't playable, I would be displeased with how they didn't clarify his role in Smash after the Direct, and would voice how unprofessional that was.

Yes. I have a lot of characters I wanted in this game. Rayman, for example, is my favorite video game character by a mile, I would literally cry if he got in the game. But I'm okay with him being most likely a trophy this time around, because this is his first appearance in Smash Bros, and it makes me certain he will be playable in the next installment. Ridley, however, is the only character that has appeared in ever single Smash Bros that has yet to be promoted to playable status. After all the speculation, requests, arguments, and confusion, it would be criminal not to make him a character.

Especially if he's only on the Wii U, at least make him on both platforms!

Yes. Like i've said, this was unprofessional of Nintendo if Ridley isn't playable. They should do something to make up for that, and this would be the obvious thing to do.

I could never hate Sakurai. He's created my favorite game series of all time, Kirby and Smash Bros, as is working to the point of damaging his health to do so.

I've always thought Ridley should be playable, and I supported the evidence that said he was. If he isn't, he's a poorly designed boss. I've always had this opinion and will keep this opinion.

Over a decade of hope for a character to get into Smash Bros., as well as redemption from a slew of abuse from illogical idiots.

It's kind of sad. I used to want him because I loved the character. He's the best villain Nintendo has created, and he's an awesome space pirate dragon! Whats not to love?

Then I started to participate in Smash speculation. Every time I mentioned my want for Ridley in Smash Bros I was met with a slew of insults, abuse, and threats over wanting a character in a video game!

I don't want that to be for nothing, and I DON'T want to go through the hell of supporting Ridley for 7+ years.

Fair, but definitely biased. After over a decade, I think we very much deserve satisfaction after the abuse we've gone through.

Pushed to near insanity after everything we've been through

Yes.

and lastly...

I believe I've answered this in the questions above, but in case it isn't clear, yes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom