• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Somebody posted an image of themselves holding the 3DS game in a store as if they were going to purchase said copy. I would think since they upload that one image that they would also upload images of the full roster to the internet once they have unlocked all characters. I'm hopeful that we see this soon and see Ridley among the remaining characters.
They were holding a version of the game in store. That's it, they didn't show them opening it, they didn't show it out of store, they didn't demonstrate that they had or played it. It really shows nothing, particularly with no information posted about it some 24-36 hours later.

I still think Nintendo will beat the streetdate breakers to the punch in revealing remaining characters, and if he's in that includes Ridley. If he is in, he's one of the last characters to unlock, and that would take some time. As of now we don't even know if anyone is on the road to unlocking, and it could well take some serious time to do so.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
They were holding a version of the game in store. That's it, they didn't show them opening it, they didn't show it out of store, they didn't demonstrate that they had or played it. It really shows nothing, particularly with no information posted about it some 24-36 hours later.

I still think Nintendo will beat the streetdate breakers to the punch in revealing remaining characters, and if he's in that includes Ridley. If he is in, he's one of the last characters to unlock, and that would take some time. As of now we don't even know if anyone is on the road to unlocking, and it could well take some serious time to do so.
Alright. Thank you for the input. I assumed he would have purchased the game if he saw it in the store. It just seems strange to me that he would take a picture of a game as if it's breaking news and then not buy it. Kind of backwards logic to me, but what do I know? I just want to see Ridley so badly and get this over with. I have bets to win.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Alright. Thank you for the input. I assumed he would have purchased the game if he saw it in the store. It just seems strange to me that he would take a picture of a game as if it's breaking news and then not buy it. Kind of backwards logic to me, but what do I know? I just want to see Ridley so badly and get this over with. I have bets to win.
He may have worked there, they may have been unboxing stock that was to be put out later in the week. There was nothing from the post that suggested that they had actually bought it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Should I put this in spoilers for it's size?

Disappointed? Why is that?
I personally prefer then Roidley design over most other designs. I can't get promply **** for honesty, right?
I leave. For one day.

One. Goddamn. Day.

And I come back to see the thread basically exploded.

What the hell guys.
YOU HAVE UNLEASHED SCROOGE MCDUCK'S WRATH
View attachment 24557
"...sniff.....that was beautiful..."
That must be Ridley after watching a bloody slaughter on the battlefield, the blood being previously owned by toobigots and maybe Roidley

So uh, real or fake?
Again, rather well made! I'm glad people who make fake leaks are at least improving

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, I might aswell get this off my chest before this thread closes its doors for the last time~

I can still remember back when I used to be a detractor. I never really liked the idea of playable characters like Little Mac, Pac Man, Miis, and even Rosalina. But seeing that I naturally adapt to things because of my sign, I've grown fond of all of them after a given time...all except Ridley.

I might've overexaggerated how I was when I used to be a Ridley detractor. I felt it would be wrong to downscale him, but I had the feeling other detractors were making things unnecessarily complicated. It didn't help at all that supporters were still saying he wasn't disconfirmed even though he shares the same section with the Yellow Devil, inevitably implying his disconfirmation... But that was before I looked past the face value of things.

A good and funny man by the name of Relax Alax made a video not long before the events of E3. The fact he was coming from a neutral standpoint already made me feel I should listen to the entire thing. IMO it was a good start to learn, even if it's become outdated since. I believe this has, and always will be, Alax's greatest video.

I don't remember how, but I was sent to an essay made by aldelaro5 aldelaro5 describing Ridley's chances. The complexity, energy, and confidence he placed into that essay almost gave me the impression this man was insane! Nevertheless, Alax already planted the seed inside me, and I would spiral into a meltdown in front of Miiverse before crawling back out as a Ridley supporter....

(EDIT: just noticed the enuendo.
)

Ever since, I've felt my mind has never been this open! I've looked at the snake/mongoose rivalry between supporter and detractor, and I noticed the detractors have almost always thrown the first punch since the beginning.
"I think Ridley should be playable cuz he's cool, and is important to Metroid! ^^"
"No way, he's too big. Get your logic straight."
"Well, why not scale him down so he isn't too big? Its not like it hasn't been done before."
"Nuh-uh! It only works for some characters. Ridley would look stupid."
"That sounds alittle unfair, don't you think? :("
"No, you're just delusional, that's all. Give up that wet dream of yours, and face reality!"

And just like that, it became a bandwagon. For fifteen years, neither side has gotten anywhere. Shokio's video was to ensure Ridley fans were to be silenced, thus it turned into what is perhaps the internet's biggest flame war yet. Looking back, I feel ashamed for being part of such big bullies. I'm surprised there are still supporters from 2001 that have endured this prejudice, and even Mew2King, one of the great pioneers in Melee's competitive play, wants Ridley in! That takes alot of stubbornness and determination...more than I could ever have. Ridley is, by far, the most requested in the west, so either there is something the detractors don't get, or the large majority of America that wants him is that stupid...including Mew2King.

Because of my weak patience and determination, I've already submitted to reality that all this speculation was pointless. Nintendo may have indeed messed up their big marketing opprotunity by leaving a stage hazard like Ridley ambiguous when they perfectly had the time and power to clear up all the confusion generated. They can't possibly think Ridley would make great hype for a stage boss, when not only has he been nothing but a boss in previous games, but is actually a downgrade from his role in SSE! They've not learned their mistake from the Wii U if this is their mindset. Unless Sakurai gives us a "Sorry, I tried", I don't think I can ever forgive him for dancing around Ridley for 13 months, only to kick us in the gonadz after the false hype we've generated. People deserve to show their displeasure if this happens, and I can predict many boycotting the 3DS and Wii U versions; nobody can change that, no matter how spoiled they make them sound.

I wanna be able to see detractors as normal people again. Ever since I became a supporter, I knew I'd eventually fall to a state where something's wrong with me, and that so happens to be how I look at detractors. I know they're okay people once you look past that, but I can't seem to. I constantly feel like I gotta avoid them or prove something to them. I wanna be able to run into Shokio at Wal-Mart, and be like "Oh cool, its Shoks." and not be like "Oh ****, its the mascot of Ridley haters, Shokio! I gotta hide before he talks me down like I don't know better!" (fun fact: we both live in Dallas, so it shouldn't be too hard to run into him) Most importantly, I wanna feel free, free from fear of my opinions, and how people will judge me for them!

This takes me to what Ridley has become in these years; a symbol. Detractors may look at it as another sign of being delusional, but I bet everyone else can say otherwise. This has become like a Pinocchio scenario; Ridley is Pinocchio who wishes to become playable, while Sakurai is the blue fairy that can make it happen. Some see Ridley's inclusion as a symbol of justice, payback, equality. I see it as "never feel ashamed of who you want for Smash." With Shokio's video discouraging Ridley fans, more haters have come to beat down on fans for other characters. Smash depends on the voices of fans being heard, and those voices can't be heard if they're being silenced. If Ridley's confirmed, it should show to always make your voice heard, and do not be discouraged by another person's opinion. Disconfirmed, however...If the title "Ridley Fan" wasn't a Star of David before, it certainly will be.

I really do like the confidence this thread gives off...but it really scares me most of the time. I'm a strong believer in karma, and those with the mindset of "Ridley will be playable" scare me the most because its begging for karma to jynx them! I want everyone in this thread to have the mindset that Ridley's chances are 50/50, but you can still lean more on him likely being playable. This is going back to aldelaro5's essay, and how he sounded crazy to me at first. This thread is so cringe-worthy and off-topic, mods are dying to finally put a bullet in this thread's head! If Ridley's disconfirmed, there will never be a future Ridley thread, and we will never have a place to feel perfectly safe with talking about Ridley stuff. :(

As a safe word of advice, I want everyone to keep their karma high so that Ridley's reveal can truely be guaranteed; every good deed counts.

So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.

• Has the speculation really been worth it?

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?

• Why do you want Ridley playable?

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

God, that took too long.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Well, I might aswell get this off my chest before this thread closes its doors for the last time~

I can still remember back when I used to be a detractor. I never really liked the idea of playable characters like Little Mac, Pac Man, Miis, and even Rosalina. But seeing that I naturally adapt to things because of my sign, I've grown fond of all of them after a given time...all except Ridley.

I might've overexaggerated how I was when I used to be a Ridley detractor. I felt it would be wrong to downscale him, but I had the feeling other detractors were making things unnecessarily complicated. It didn't help at all that supporters were still saying he wasn't disconfirmed even though he shares the same section with the Yellow Devil, inevitably implying his disconfirmation... But that was before I looked past the face value of things.

A good and funny man by the name of Relax Alax made a video not long before the events of E3. The fact he was coming from a neutral standpoint already made me feel I should listen to the entire thing. IMO it was a good start to learn, even if it's become outdated since. I believe this has, and always will be, Alax's greatest video.

I don't remember how, but I was sent to an essay made by aldelaro5 aldelaro5 describing Ridley's chances. The complexity, energy, and confidence he placed into that essay almost gave me the impression this man was insane! Nevertheless, Alax already planted the seed inside me, and I would spiral into a meltdown in front of Miiverse before crawling back out as a Ridley supporter.

Ever since, I've felt my mind has never been this open! I've looked at the snake/mongoose rivalry between supporter and detractor, and I noticed the detractors have almost always thrown the first punch since the beginning.
"I think Ridley should be playable cuz he's cool, and is important to Metroid! ^^"
"Well, why not scale him down so he isn't too big? Its not like it hasn't been done before."
"No, you're just delusional, that's all. Give up that wet dream of yours, and face reality!"

And just like that, it became a bandwagon. For fifteen years, neither side has gotten anywhere. Shokio's video was to ensure Ridley fans were to be silenced, thus it turned into what is perhaps the internet's biggest flame war yet. Looking back, I feel ashamed for being part of such big bullies. I'm surprised there are still supporters from 2001 that have endured this prejudice, and even Mew2King, one of the great pioneers in Melee's competitive play, wants Ridley in! That takes alot of stubbornness and determination...more than I could ever have. Ridley is, by far, the most requested in the west, so either there is something the detractors don't get, or the large majority of America that wants him is that stupid...including Mew2King.

Because of my weak patience and determination, I've already submitted to reality that all this speculation was pointless. Nintendo may have indeed messed up their big marketing opprotunity by leaving a stage hazard like Ridley ambiguous when they perfectly had the time and power to clear up all the confusion generated. They can't possibly think Ridley would make great hype for a stage boss, when not only has he been nothing but a boss in previous games, but is actually a downgrade from his role in SSE! They've not learned their mistake from the Wii U if this is their mindset. Unless Sakurai gives us a "Sorry, I tried", I don't think I can ever forgive him for dancing around Ridley for 13 months, only to kick us in the gonadz after the false hype we've generated. People deserve to show their displeasure if this happens, and I can predict many boycotting the 3DS and Wii U versions; nobody can change that, no matter how spoiled they make them sound.

I wanna be able to see detractors as normal people again. Ever since I became a supporter, I knew I'd eventually fall to a state where something's wrong with me, and that so happens to be how I look at detractors. I know they're okay people once you look past that, but I can't seem to. I constantly feel like I gotta avoid them or prove something to them. I wanna be able to run into Shokio at Wal-Mart, and be like "Oh cool, its Shoks." and not be like "Oh ****, its the mascot of Ridley haters, Shokio! I gotta hide before he talks me down like I don't know better!" (fun fact: we both live in Dallas, so it shouldn't be too hard to run into him) Most importantly, I wanna feel free, free from fear of my opinions, and how people will judge me for them!

This takes me to what Ridley has become in these years; a symbol. Detractors may look at it as another sign of being delusional, but I bet everyone else can say otherwise. This has become like a Pinocchio scenario; Ridley is Pinocchio who wishes to become playable, while Sakurai is the blue fairy that can make it happen. Some see Ridley's inclusion as a symbol of justice, payback, equality. I see it as "never feel ashamed of who you want for Smash." With Shokio's video discouraging Ridley fans, more haters have come to beat down on fans for other characters. Smash depends on the voices of fans being heard, and those voices can't be heard if they're being silenced. If Ridley's confirmed, it should show to always make your voice heard, and do not be discouraged by another person's opinion. Disconfirmed, however...If the title "Ridley Fan" wasn't a Star of David before, it certainly will be.

I really do like the confidence this thread gives off...but it really scares me most of the time. I'm a strong believer in karma, and those with the mindset of "Ridley will be playable" scare me the most because its begging for karma to jynx them! I want everyone in this thread to have the mindset that Ridley's chances are 50/50, but you can still lean more on him likely being playable. This is going back to aldelaro5's essay, and how he sounded crazy to me at first. This thread is so cringe-worthy and off-topic, mods are dying to finally put a bullet in this thread's head! If Ridley's disconfirmed, there will never be a future Ridley thread, and we will never have a place to feel perfectly safe with talking about Ridley stuff. :(

As a safe word of advice, I want everyone to keep their karma high so that Ridley's reveal can truely be guaranteed; every good deed counts.

So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years?

God, that took too long.
No, Yes, 75/25, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, he represents everything Metroid in Smash, No, Yes

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

I don't remember how, but I was sent to an essay made by aldelaro5 aldelaro5 describing Ridley's chances. The complexity, energy, and confidence he placed into that essay almost gave me the impression this man was insane! Nevertheless, Alax already planted the seed inside me, and I would spiral into a meltdown in front of Miiverse before crawling back out as a Ridley supporter.

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years?

God, that took too long.
I made posts far longer other than the essay so it's fine :)

I say that you just take him however you want, but I can understands your concern towards the risk of this thread.

Like for me, I don't want him that much. It's my second most wanted and I do want him in a way, but I'm completely fine if for some reasons he's an hazard. I would take it and the only thing I would find weird is the tease decision (which is when I'll ask a lot of questions), but I'm ok with the verdict itself.

Look, I got what I wanted the most: Paper Mario repping with the stage which is btw a lot more than what I wanted as minimum. So, it won't affect my view in the game, but I will ask myself serious questions on why the clip exists.

As for lots of supporters, it was at risk since the direct because now, any verdict will explode the internet. It's not new and it's expected. I love this thread for the determination in it back in the analysis period and btw, yes it was worth to do.

As for what represents Ridley, not much like most of newcomers candidate. There's only 2 newcomers I would want enough to care: Ridley and Paper Mario, but the later is far more. My reasons for wanting him is mostly has to do with the character himself like I love well developed grabs and just how he would be animated or made, I just like that. That's pure tastes and nothing is objective. It's not bias because I just happen to like one of the most popular request. I want Paper Mario a lot and that's enough to tell how I base my support on wanting which always starts by tastes.

I think I answered all. Just take a time to forget about his situation before release because teases can cause insanity if you think too much about them. Happened for me and I don't want it happens for you because I know that if mods are more strict and that it got some locks, it was due to people freaking out which was mostly caused to obsession for teasing.

Also, you don't know me because I can write VERY long on stuff tht normally isn't long. I think I wrote a very big text on TTYD music once and I think you would find me crazy, lol. I'm just like that. Normally, it's rare to express my full tough on something because it's too long, but here, I loved so much the tease itself and how it was talked that it was worth to do. The only other time I do that is reviewing Paper Mario game....TTYD memories is a monster if you remove spoiler tags. It might be longer than the essay.

So, don't worry, I;m not insane or crazy, but I just like to do that.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation and redemption?

God, that took too long.
1. It was fun to debate, even with stupid people. Over the year I convinced 4 haters to become supporters. Including myself. (Petty number, oh well)
2. In Sakurai we trust.
3. 1:0 haters always disappear after a character comes.
4. Depends on if he ends up playable.
5. It's been 15 years for some. But only a year as a supporter for me. I have no right.
6. If it's reasonable DLC.
7. Of course. Not gonna be that ass who will hold a grudge if he isn't in.
8. Maybe.
9. Rad ass purple space dragon.
10. Metroid is needs more reps. Same with Donkey Kong.
11. Nope. Never was a HUGE fan of Metroid.
12. Hell yeah!

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
1. It was fun to debate, even with stupid people. Over the year I convinced 4 haters to become supporters. Including myself. (Petty number, oh well)
2. In Sakurai we trust.
3. 1:0 haters always disappear after a character comes.
4. Depends on if he ends up playable.
5. It's been 15 years for some. But only a year as a supporter for me. I have no right.
6. If it's reasonable DLC.
7. Of course. Not gonna be that *** who will hold a grudge if he isn't in.
8. Maybe.
9. Rad *** purple space dragon.
10. Metroid is needs more reps. Same with Donkey Kong.
11. Nope. Never was a HUGE fan of Metroid.
12. Hell yeah!
i wouldnt say that dk is the same as metroid at last there are DK and diddy and in metroid just samus and samus.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah, but DK still deserves more.
you are right i wont say anything about that i just mean it is not realy the same.
i dont realy care about dixie kong because yeah i do not realy have a conection to her i would love K K.rool or so but yeah

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation and redemption?
Depends
Yes
I think about 80% yay 2-% ney
Very
Yes
Yes
I'm only going to be mad that he didn't clarify it, but he still makes masterpieces
No
Desire and loyalty in the games
I heard people wanted him and I decided to do a little research, thought he was a cool guy! All arguments against him were pretty bad so I thought I'd hop on the bandwagon after seeing Alax's video and realised he still had a chance
Yes
YES SIR!

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have been wanting Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. ever since the first installment. I have been waiting for Ridley for over 15 years. I am curious how long other Ridley fans have been waiting.

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
I have been wanting Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. ever since the first installment. I have been waiting for Ridley for over 15 years. I am curious how long other Ridley fans have been waiting.
When I first saw the melee opening and Samus was fighting him. I assumed he was in the game. Lol. So for me it's been since melee. I also remember looking at his trophy in melee and reading about him. Thought he would be awesome to be in smash. Plus Metroid needs more reps.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
guys wanna ask you something. did you notic a thin on the "starting" roster? every franchise got most characters be playable exept metroid and dk.
well kid icarus got DPitt as we know.
so what do you think about the idea that this would ssay we can unlock one more rep for metroid and dk just by looking at the others and take this logic for every franchise

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Since I played Super Metroid back in 2007 or so. Thankfully the wait for Ridley as a playable char is about to end for all of us.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
guys wanna ask you something. did you notic a thin on the "starting" roster? every franchise got most characters be playable exept metroid and dk.
well kid icarus got DPitt as we know.
so what do you think about the idea that this would ssay we can unlock one more rep for metroid and dk just by looking at the others and take this logic for every franchise
I think it be fitting for Metroid's reps to mirror the Kid Icarus ones, considering they are sister series. Just think, the main character, a variation on the main character, and the second most prevalent individual of the series, only Palutena is Pit's most trusted ally, while Ridley is Samus' most relentless foe.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think it be fitting for Metroid's reps to mirror the Kid Icarus ones, considering they are sister series. Just think, the main character, a variation on the main character, and the second most prevalent individual of the series, only Palutena is Pit's most trusted ally, while Ridley is Samus' most relentless foe.
Considering Sakurai was doing Metroid things in KIU, it makes sense! Think about it! Komatos, Space Pirates, Space Kraken/Phantoon, antagonist being huge...Yeah, I think this is a good argument

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
Ridley was in every smashgame ..

but now

it is finally time

to get onto that ROSTER!

(fitting image coming this week)

Last edited:

RidleyWright

Smash Rookie
For me it was after Melee. A little backstory.

My first encounter with Ridley happened on Super Metroid when I was, huh, maybe 13/14. Him appearing out of nowhere and stealing the container with the Metroid kinda made a big impact on me, I just thought it was so cool. Around that time I finally got access to the interwebz and started going to a portuguese forum for games and consoles. I had to pick a username so I went with Ridley and that's kinda how it all started (later I added the Wright because of Phoenix Wright and just to have a unique username). [/endofbackstory]
So yeah, when I saw him in Melee I got pretty hyped. After Melee I really started rooting for him to be on the smash roster. Brawl kinda didn't deliver, but we got some cool footage of Ridley pwning Samus (damn you, Pikachu!), so that was nice.

And now, the final veredict looms upon us. Come on Sakurai. つ ◕_◕༽つ GIVE RIDLEY ༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
If Sakurai was dead set on Ridley being too big. But instead included like a "Ridley jr" or "baby Ridley" would that suffice?

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
What is the best Ridley fight according to you guys? For me, it's Meta Ridley in Prime 3, that fight is just too awesome to handle!
Honestly my favorite Ridley fight would have to be the one from Metroid Prime, for several reasons; but it was just built up just right for me, plus Meta-Ridley just looked badass.

JonesGamer

Smash Cadet
So are we expecting to learn the whole roster (and Ridley's fate) before release? I think we'll probably get the final character trailer Friday, but I have a feeling street date will be broken before then and we'll get the whole roster anyways.

So are we expecting to learn the whole roster (and Ridley's fate) before release? I think we'll probably get the final character trailer Friday, but I have a feeling street date will be broken before then and we'll get the whole roster anyways.

I'm actually kinda shocked nobody has leaked anything yet from an early copy. Perhaps we will get something tonight or tomorrow.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Beautiful speech
Wow... just, wow. I can't even begin to express how touching that was.

To answer your questions;

Frankly, yes. Not only has this experience has shown me how much people really cared about a character from a video game, it shown me all the struggle these people went through after so many years. When it comes to Nintendo caring about all this, I'm not 100% sure about that. But in my opinion, I think if they really didn't care, they would have deconfimed Ridley at the April Direct at the very most. Ridley being a surprise entry seems like Nintendo's way to say; "sorry for the wait, but here's your character".

In every sense of the word. Ridley's inclusion in Smash will set the boundaries of Smash Bros. history. Not only will it define that any and every character you want for Smash, can happen if you support it enough for Sakurai to listen. It will also give people the courage to not be scared or embarrassed of their wanted character and can nullify the negative feedback against characters inclusion.

I can't really say who'll love or hate Ridley's inclusion when it happens, but as with every character who joined the Smash roster, people will most likely start to except their inclusion and begin to enjoy their addition.

Yes. If they didn't go out of their way to deconfirm other characters who had confusion about their roles, then I wouldn't be judgemental about it. But, because they gave the impression that if a characters role comes off unclear, despite how clear it might have been, and you go out of your way to clear the confusion of every character except for a highly requested character who makes up a huge amount of your fan base, then you really have your priorities screwed up.

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?

For myself, I most likely wouldn't go out of my way to do as such. As much as I support Ridley, I just can't get as upset as to complain to a company about their decision making of a character (despite how deserving as he is) not making it in the game. I know a lot of other people might do that and if I was the type of person I'd do it too, but I personally have little reason to do so myself. I'd feel disappointed about the situation but I couldn't complain about it.

Honestly, yes. A character such as Ridley keeping the same role he's always been known as while other boss characters, :4bowser: :ganondorf:, can become playable, it comes off as semi-bias and lazy as a developer to not try to bring something new to your game that a huge amount of your fan base would appreciate seeing in the game.

If DLC is confirmed and isn't limited to characters not having a current role in the game, then yes. People really deserve to get the character they want if you fail to offer to them, and if something allows their chance to get the character they want to happen, it's your job to appeal to your fan base, if you can.

Yes and no. Honestly, I feel like if a character doesn't make it in Smash Bros, I feel it was for a reason, good or bad. However, when it comes in regards to Ridley, the way things were handled this Smash, I couldn't believe Sakurai would treat a fan base so poorly when the want for Ridley was known by pre-Brawl days.

No. No matter what the outcome of a character (Ridley or not), I always believe any and every character could get their chance at being playable, despite the odds. :snake:

Ridley, as a character for Smash, is a sign of hope and determination for a character's inclusion for a game loved by many, and this gives the chance for people to see the greatness of a character that the fan base know so much about.

To end the mindset that no one is guaranteed a spot on the Smash roster. Because really, it's just a video game. A video game meant to bring characters together, wanted from the fans, to get the chance to play with their beloved characters.

Personally, I can't really say my reasons are biased since I don't have any history with Metroid or anything Ridley. But people have the opinion to judge, and I won't think twice about what they think.

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?

That these people have gone far too long to get a character they really want for the game they love, and the negative attitude that's brought onto them for no good reason to just stop.

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

Yes. And I mean it. There's absolutely no reason a person should be criticized for wanting a character in a video game they love. Especially hateful and outright inhumane responses to said people.

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

YES. Ridley would show the world that Ridley deserves a spot on the roster and to be treated as a allstar character who should have been there from the start. A character long overdue to share his spot alongside Samus to truely represent the best parts of the Metroid series.

I mention this before that I'm not the kind of person good at explaining my thoughts, especially to personal stuff like this, but you deserve my respects and my truthful opinions about Ridley and about the fans here in this thread.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
well wanna ask you one thing. if ridley is an hard to unlockable character what do you think will be need to get him?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Since melee when I saw him on the opening trailer, I didnt know who he was and didnt care because he was an awesome purple dragon thing. Later I learned he was samus's main antagonist and wanted him even more.

Outlawstarx

Smash Cadet
Well if anyone got their hands on the game early, it might take some time for them to unlock all the characters, don't think they'll be able to do it before release. I think our best bet is the treehouse thing or Sakurai might be planning a huge website update release day. And like he did with brawl put all the characters up but give people the option to view it by clicking on a *spoiler" link or something.

Top Bottom