• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I can confirm that tomorrow's pic of the day will not disconfirm Ridley; it will instead show a 3DS menu.
This will be the only night it's not just wait and see, haha

And stay strong pirates Captain Falcon got out hopefully Ridley is next!

If Ridley is revealed on Friday for his newcomer video if for some unfathomable reason it isn't with Mewtwo, what other veteran do you think he'd be with? (I'm hoping Ganondorf if not Mewtwo... or both)

also once this thread is closed, if it's before Ridley is confirmed to be payable or not, is there a "random discussion" thread we are moving to or something, or do we just wait and hope for a Ridley is playable thread?

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Photoshopped from a render @Angelglory made a couple of pages ago.

This makes him look just excellent as a fighter. Come on. If Ridley was always like this, and only somewhat bigger than Samus in the Metroid games, I wouldn't even mind.
Fine, maybe a different head and feet. But you get what I mean right?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh look I unlocked ridley!
Let me get my worst quality camera
Well, when you're so excited about unlocking him and you JUST have to tell it to the world, you'd take the picture with the first camera you have available, and your hand will be shaking like nuts, so therefore, you get a crappy picture!

Course in this case it doesn't count since it's just a photoshop.

pruf.png

Last edited:

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
This will be the only night it's not just wait and see, haha

And stay strong pirates Captain Falcon got out hopefully Ridley is next!

If Ridley is revealed on Friday for his newcomer video if for some unfathomable reason it isn't with Mewtwo, what other veteran do you think he'd be with? (I'm hoping Ganondorf if not Mewtwo... or both)
Just put in Wolf, Lucas, and the Ice Climbers as the returning veteran's. It will defiantly mess with people's heads!

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
The R Trinity will be complete soon, my dear friends. Very very soon, indeed. I shall main them all. The beautiful Queen of the Cosmos, the Tactical Spellcaster, and the Grand Space Pirate himself. Bow to the Holy Trinity.

D

Deleted member

Plot twist; Angelglory has access to inside information and has made that Ridley render to be similar to the real deal on purpose.
Just like MASTERLINKX. :troll:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
This makes him look just excellent as a fighter. Come on. If Ridley was always like this, and only somewhat bigger than Samus in the Metroid games, I wouldn't even mind.
Fine, maybe a different head and feet. But you get what I mean right?
I still don't get why they choose that design over the concept art.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I still don't get why they choose that design over the concept art.
Other M raised a lot of similar questions about many different things.

Plot twist; Angelglory has access to inside information and has made that Ridley render to be similar to the real deal on purpose.
Just like MASTERLINKX. :troll:
The question is, how can we get the information out of him...
Alright Angelglory what do you "like" the most?

Also, I'm fairly certain the thread will be closed by the time Ridley gets revealed, unless he somehow manages to pop up during the stream. Shulk's banner has been removed by the way, so we will probably get a character reveal sometime soon.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Well, when you're so excited about unlocking him and you JUST have to tell it to the world, you'd take the picture with the first camera you have available, and your hand will be shaking like nuts, so therefore, you get a crappy picture!

Course in this case it doesn't count since it's just a photoshop.

View attachment 24576
The guy didn't even try :facepalm:

0/10 for effort. Seriously. He needs to see me after class.

the shulk chalenge approching banner is gone!! this could be it
Don't get excited. Could just be Bowser Jr.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Let it be know that gif originated here! Also @ Zawaz132 Zawaz132 if you have the time, could you do one with Other M Ridley's head? If your too busy then never-mind.
Crashboards was sneaking around yesterday, so I wasn't available. But without further ado, I present the world with the future heavyweight Smash Champion....
ROIDLEY!!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh hey, someone made this in photoshop using models of both Roidley and one of the classic versions of Ridley as a reference, which I could tell as it has some traits of both. Pretty impressive.

In b4 someone uses the head & neck of this as part of a blurry "leak" image.

And the gif in the post above me definitely looks better with Roidley's head... Nicely done.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hey, can you blame me? They did say that. I swear, I did hear it with my own ears.

They were only kidding though.
Still, not cool bro. Your one step closer to closing this thread by causing false hype... again. Yeah, you think I didn't notice you randomly bringing hype to the thread when that embargo happen? >:D

Also I know this is a bit late but;

1915? Why such an arbitrary number :awesome:?

We'll probably make it to Thursday then. This thread usually jumps 10 pages per day. Maybe Wednesday since there is an influx of new users for the 3DS release (that are contributing a lot of the newly spam here)
I just chose 1915 pages cuz I like neatly placed numbers (5, 25, 50 and so on). But anyways, to the point.

The Y2K bug is so real we're going to have to lock the thread at 1914 just to be safe. 1938 at the latest.

But asides from perhaps being a passing mention in your post, the amount of pages the thread has isn't a valid topic conversation. If it comes to it, a mass deletion of all posts that have the word "page" would be fun, no? Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Crashboards was sneaking around yesterday, so I wasn't available. But without further ado, I present the world with the future heavyweight Smash Champion....
ROIDLEY!!!!

Its.....its beautiful. Bless you Zawaz132, bless you.

Do you mind if I use it for my signature?

Last edited:

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
Of course its a menu I'm done with the POD. just want someone in japan to leak the full roster. They had the game 24hours ago from that picture.. where is the roster!!?!?

Last edited:

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
In the comments on the PoTD, the tips screen he showed was in English. Not only that, he said "for users outside of Japan, stay tuned for more news about the Smash Bros 3DS demo." Sounds like we're getting the demo soon. Just be patient.
---

So can we please stop discussing that and go back to actual ridley talk?

D

Deleted member

Either
a) Wait for the actual release (September 13th)
b) Wait for someone to snag a copy early and leak everything

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Don't get excited. Could just be Bowser Jr.
I'd be quite excited if Bowser Jr. was shown, as that would probably mean he isn't an unlockable. And I worry that we might have already seen the full roster. I mean 3 new characters as unlockables, sounds more realistic than 8 (if you include the 5 available slots, and assume they're not veterans). And that 5 available slot theory doesn't have a great level of validity, as Melee didn't have a perfect rectangle when unlocking all the characters.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
You nor anyone will be permitted to make another Ridley speculation/support thread should this one close. When I said this was the last chance, I meant it.

One way or the other, it'll all be over soon enough.
...I don't like that mentality. :( I've started to see things as inevitable, and you mean to tell me there will no longer be a safe haven for Ridley fans to socialize if he's disconfirmed?

If there was any reason Sakurai even took Ridley into consideration, its because of Nintendo visiting Smashboards to see what we want; this thread's size and popularity would be unavoidable for them.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Multi jumping characters are not fair.
Like straight up.
They cause so many problems in every game.

There is no inherent fairness with a small sect of the cast literally being immune to significantly more combos/follows up purely by virtue of having more jumps (jumps are a 1 frame significant vertical boost option, compare to air dodges being 4 and making you a sitting duck). If you give those characters much of anything else (range/kill power/weight) you're making unassailable monsters that will ruin game balance.

A character that only stays in the air (Wario/Jigglypuff) have created play patterns/strategies that are not preferred by the general populace. When those characters choose not to fight you, there is no way to fight them.
Tell that to the new ZSS... Did you see that airstalling by Zero in the E3 tournament? down-b too good...

On another note, I think they actually made a lot of efforts giving the characters options to fight back opponents with "oppressive" airgame. Shulk/Paultena have insane upward reach on their smashes, Robin's fireball-motion basically covers everything diagonally in front of him from head to toe and good luck dodging thoron while keeping your approach up, a lot of characters have gotten better up-tilts and/or up-airs covering more range etc.

I really don't think there would be a problem with multijumps on Ridley. Also, remember Pokemon-Trainer's charizard in brawl? Multiple jumps, still couldn't hold a candle to many characters that didn't have multiple jumps.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
...I don't like that mentality. :( I've started to see things as inevitable, and you mean to tell me there will no longer be a safe haven for Ridley fans to socialize if he's disconfirmed?
What would be the point in still having a thread other than to dramatize about his deconfirmed status? Could always make a PM discussion group for a certain amount of us Ridley fans to stay in contact if necessary after the thread's closure when it reaches close enough to page 2000 (or as Issy said a couple posts after this, a social group), but other than that..

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Tell that to the new ZSS... Did you see that airstalling by Zero in the E3 tournament? down-b too good...

On another note, I think they actually made a lot of efforts giving the characters options to fight back opponents with "oppressive" airgame. Shulk/Paultena have insane upward reach on their smashes, Robin's fireball-motion basically covers everything diagonally in front of him from head to toe and good luck dodging thoron while keeping your approach up, a lot of characters have gotten better up-tilts and/or up-airs covering more range etc.

I really don't think there would be a problem with multijumps on Ridley. Also, remember Pokemon-Trainer's charizard in brawl? Multiple jumps, still couldn't hold a candle to many characters that didn't have multiple jumps.
Those people I was replying to were saying Ridley should be able to move around the stage from a few jumps like Jigglypuff. And read my followups on D3/etc. Charizard did not have a good aerial game either. His jumps got him out of situations but he had no aerial options to begin with other than jumps. *hint hint*

Is balanced design an improbable conversation topic in this thread? :{

And yes, things that substitute jumps like strong side-b's (Diddy's in Brawl) or invincible movement options (ZSS down b). They are very very good. Like extremely good. Good thing they can only do them once or go into free fall. But if stuff like ZSS down b has been left not-tweaked (its also the fact that her second mid air jump is able to cover two battlefield platforms in itself...) it isn't going to be fun. Chasing her will be a *****.

Basically vertical options in Smash have always been dominant, they beat grabs, they beat ground games, they beat shields, they're sufficient to approach in, camp in, throw out projectiles and beat projectiles and have more variation in motion than the ground (ground options in Meree were a lot more potent though). You want an all air character while being a heavy weight with range, stuff like air grabs to beat shields (the only advantage grounded opponents have over those in the air) and the mobility to cover stage sizes because why not?

Aren't the DANGER FLAGS pinging like mad for you?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well, actually, it will be over if he's playable. If he isn't, then the support will be extended for the next Smash.
I think that's what she was implying =p

Nd no, the support will not be extended for the next smash; rather support for DLC.
^ What he said. Smash 5/6 speculation won't be taking place on the Smash 4 boards. Nor will DLC until it's officially confirmed.

So I'll make it plain and simple: Any Ridley discussion outside of either a hypothetical Ridley forum, the Official Character Discussion or Smash 4 Social does not belong here. That means any rage, hype, or whatever other posts caused by the inevitable reveal.

Making additional threads after this one is included, REGARDLESS OF HOW IT IS LOCKED. They will be locked and whoever doesn't listen will be warned. We're this close to the game launching, a new thread would be superfluous at this point.

Sadly, the mods have a bullet with the Ridley Thread's name on it said that the thread will most likely get closed around the 1915 page mark. So 21 pages are left for us Space Pirates. Let's hope are last words here are; RIDLEYS CONFIRMED!
I'm pretty sure that was Shaya being Shaya.

The thread won't literally get locked on page 2,000 unless we get a true confirmation/disconfirmation, or if the topic goes to hell. The original "this topic will explode after page 2000+" message was referring to a technical glitch that happens in threads that get too large (yes I realize the irony), which happened with the last 2 Smash 4 Social threads.

Regardless I do not encourage people to act any less conservative with your posts. With the rapidly accelerating number of new users, I'll list the basic ground rules one last time, as well as list them in the OP for the time being.

ANY OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION, AS IN LEAKS/LAUNCH/ROSTER/OTHER CHARACTERS NOT HAVING ANYTHING TO DO WITH RIDLEY WILL BE WARNED AS SPAM. IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING AT ALL TO ADD TO SOMEONE'S OFF TOPIC POST, TAKE IT TO PMS OR TO ANOTHER THREAD. DON'T QUOTE AND BRING IT UP HERE. MODS WILL NOT BE LENIENT WITH IT ANY LONGER.
ADDITIONALLY ANY 'FAKE/TROLL' LEAKS THAT ARE INTENTIONALLY MISLEADING/CREATING FALSE HYPE WILL ALSO BE INFRACTED HEAVILY. THIS INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO POSTS SUCH AS:

• "Guys Ridley's confirmed!"
    :troll:
  • Obviously fake/edited images being passed off as leaks
  • Making alt accounts claiming to be a true/legit leaker. Mods can do IP checks, so if it's traced back to you, the account will be banned and your original account will be infracted.
  • Sarcastic remarks/jokes not clarifying they are such. NO ADDING A TROLLFACE TO YOUR POST DOES NOT COUNT.
Now don't go thinking it's just supporters/the thread regulars that have to worry about this. Detractors will also be reprimanded harshly.

ANY POSTS EITHER MOCKING, TAKING ENJOYMENT IN THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF UPSET FANS, OR OTHERWISE JUST PLAIN TROLLING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED WHATSOEVER IN THIS OR ANY OTHER THREAD.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying bringing any off-topic discussion to the boards AFTER release day (meaning after we know all the characters and general roster discussion, excluding DLC, is all said and done) will not be permitted. This is the same with all characters not confirmed (all confirmed characters will get their own forum/boards, as per usual). Chances are most likely the entire SSB4 Character Discussion section will be locked again similarly to the Brawl ones shortly after we get final word.

I understand the desire to socialize with our peers, keeping the movement strong (should the worst come to happen, etc). However as of now DLC and future Smash game support isn't going to belong on this board until we get actual confirmation on either.

If you want my personal suggestion, I would say making or getting people together to create a Social Group sounds right up your ally.

Not that I think it'll come to that extreme. Nothing's over until it's over, guys. Ridley survived this long for a reason.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It's probably for the best that this thread go out quietly if Ridley isn't confirmed in the end. The last thing we need is an army of detractors coming in with "righteous" fury.

We'll just bide our time for the eventual DLC threads. No worries.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Ridley having multiple jumps is a bit iffy, especially because the whole thing isn't special or unique anymore. Too many characters have it now I feel and it is problematic balance wise.

It's probably for the best that this thread go out quietly if Ridley isn't confirmed in the end. The last thing we need is an army of detractors coming in with "righteous" fury.
It was actually why I kind of feel this thread should be locked before the 3DS version hits. Confirmation or deconfirmation; this thread will go into hysterics regardless and pretty much break every forum rule imaginable (hell, if Ridley is confirmed, this whole forum is going to just break down and become complete anarchy).

But that's just me being a worrywart :laugh:

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Will we know Ridley's fate within sometime tomorrow? I feel like the guys who bought the game early will definitely have the full roster soon. I'm praying that we just have an answer by tomorrow.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Will we know Ridley's fate within sometime tomorrow? I feel like the guys who bought the game early will definitely have the full roster soon. I'm praying that we just have an answer by tomorrow.
Do we even have confirmation that people who are likely to post about it have the game as we speak, and have they shown anything about how any characters are unlocked, yet alone Ridley?

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I don't think we've heard anything about early copies other than that one shrinkwrapped copy. Before we get details of new characters I would at least expect somebody to show they have the game.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Do we even have confirmation that people who are likely to post about it have the game as we speak, and have they shown anything about how any characters are unlocked, yet alone Ridley?
Somebody posted an image of themselves holding the 3DS game in a store as if they were going to purchase said copy. I would think since they upload that one image that they would also upload images of the full roster to the internet once they have unlocked all characters. I'm hopeful that we see this soon and see Ridley among the remaining characters.

Top Bottom