• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
It would end up being a LONG trailer which would be amazing. But I mean imagine them announcing Impa, Mewtwo, and Ridley all in one trailer. The Internet would be broken for sure...
Who wouldn't mind a 5 min trailer of the rest of the cast. Might as well go out with a BANG.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Or we'll just find out Ridley's fate from some Japanese guy's crappy off-screen footage at/after launch, that's sadly quite possible too...
That's better than not having Ridley in the game at all.

Honestly, if we were to get one final reveal to promote the game in Japan, I think it'd be K. Rool. The only way I see Ridley in there is if they announce all the Big 3, and they've never done cross-franchise newcomer reveals. I could be wrong, though.
True, we haven't seen cross-franchise newcomer reveals before. However, more recent trailers have pushed the boundaries of what we previously thought was possible in newcomer trailers: Greninja's reveal featured the reveal of a veteran alongside a newcomer, and Robin and Lucina's reveal featured not only two newcomers revealed at once, but also the return of a veteran from an entirely different series. While it may be unlikely, I wouldn't say that a cross-franchise newcomer reveal is out of the question.

Romatis

Smash Rookie
Hey people! First time commenter long time fan. The Metroid series is one of my favorite video game series of all time (Metroid Fusion FTW) and I feel like it deserves a new character, but only Ridley could do it. I was wondering what people thought his final smash would be like and I came up with an interesting idea. What if when he used his final smash he would play like the Ridley boss fight from Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion, which would give you the options of picking up other players, and going pogo mode on them. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Who wouldn't mind a 5 min trailer of the rest of the cast. Might as well go out with a BANG.
They're too many characters to honestly announce the REST of the cast. Sakurai probably plans to slowly reveal the rest of the cast post-release... just like he did in Brawl, honestly. The SSE argument I think is basically dead at this point, there's too many characters left to just announce them all in one trailer. The most change I can see is announcing the Hype 3 in one trailer.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think you guys feel pleasure in having your dreams crushed before your eyes.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am well aware of the huge possibility of Ridley not making it in.

Even if Ridley bites the dust, I don't believe most of the arguments to support him were "straw-grasping". Possibly faulty and incorrect? Maybe. But considering the information we have right now, Ridley is far from "un-likely", even with the Boss tease.

I will go out of my way to unlock Ridley last, just to make it all the more satisfying when I finally do get him.
Probably impossible if a certain character requires all characters to be unlokced before you can unlock them :denzel:

Huh, I see quite a few people being proponents of having Ridley speak. Maybe I'm gleaning too quickly, but would you all really want to have Ridley speak? It's kind of a gamble, especially for a villain that's traditionally not said anything but screaming noises.

The only time Ridley's spoken is in the manga - which is already stupidly obscure - and in Prime 1, where he has a log detailing how he'll enjoy his new upgrades.
I do not want Ridley to speak. Outside of the fact that Smash Bros generally has a terrible sound direction in regards to voices, it's also because Metroid characters, especially Samus and Ridley are best characterized through their actions and body-language, not voice acting.

Ridley speaking is generally unnecessary and would probably make him sound like a comicbook villain. Also, I would much rather the development team portray Ridley's brutality and intelligence through his animations and body language instead of having a cheap voice that probably most likely won't even fit him.

Ridley speaking would be a terrible decision IMO.

Hey people! First time commenter long time fan. The Metroid series is one of my favorite video game series of all time (Metroid Fusion FTW) and I feel like it deserves a new character, but only Ridley could do it. I was wondering what people thought his final smash would be like and I came up with an interesting idea. What if when he used his final smash he would play like the Ridley boss fight from Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion, which would give you the options of picking up other players, and going pogo mode on them. Any thoughts?
I would hope Ridley grabbing opponents, and his pogo stick move would be part of his initial moveset, not his final Smash.

I always thought RIdley's final smash should be a Space Pirate Raid or a cinematic of Ridley scrapping foes against the wall of a shaft, and then ending them with a Plasma (fire) breath.

Last edited:

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
Very few would care about Impa. I don't even know why you brought it up. I would, although I don't think she's that likely at this point. She's probably the most likely Zelda newcomer by far, though.

The internet would explode if Ridley, Mewtwo, or King K. Rool were announced. Any one of them would be enough to blow up the internet, and together... wow, I couldn't imagine how bad it'd be if all three of them were announced at the same time. Most people would look at Impa and go "sweet, a character not on the leak," but that's about it.
Oh I was thinking about the trophy theory that's why I said Impa. I would like Impa but King K. Rool would be just BOOM INTERNET OVER.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
All that I am hoping for is a mewtwo/Ridley trailer on the day of smash bros (in japan) Remember GameXplane? didn't they say something like, they wont revel anything new till the day it comes out or something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
King K. Rool would kill the internet just as much as Ridley would, mainly because he hasn't been around since 2008 and is extremely highly requested. Ridley appearing would kill the internet because of the fact that most people think he's deconfirmed already.

Romatis

Smash Rookie
I would hope Ridley grabbing opponents, and his pogo stick move would be part of his initial moveset, not his final Smash.

I always thought RIdley's final smash should be a Space Pirate Raid or a cinematic of Ridley scrapping foes against the wall of a shaft, and then ending them with a Plasma (fire) breath.
Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean if Ridley transformed to play like the BOSS version of him, where you cant take damage and basically fly around the screen being an absolute badass.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
King K. Rool would kill the internet just as much as Ridley would, mainly because he hasn't been around since 2008 and is extremely highly requested. Ridley appearing would kill the internet because of the fact that most people think he's deconfirmed already.
Can we nuke the internet 5 times and then feed it to the sun?

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Not sure if people talked about this since I started viewing this thread for a week now but what would you guys think of Ridley changing colors when he's at death percent like in Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission. Wouldn't be cool to see him turn red at around 150%, unless he gets his Other M version then oh well. But a cool little detail Sakurai could put into the game. Also sorry if someone brought this up already, I'm pretty new here.
That would actually be a nice touch, but probably couldn't happen since characters that acquire high percent damage already get a slight tint of red (I think).

Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean if Ridley transformed to play like the BOSS version of him, where you cant take damage and basically fly around the screen being an absolute badass.
Huh...I guess that sounds a bit more interesting then.

I would assume you could enter and leave the 2D fighting plane while wrecking stuff?

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
At this point, it doesn't matter to me what Ridley design they would go for, but I still prefer the Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley. But hey I'll accept the Ridley design with open arms.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
So, quick recap, I know the All-star leak revealed that not all the characters are unlocked, but seeing as Ridley was not mentioned on the actual leak, how are we so positive of his inclusion? I'm surmising another, credible leaker 'leaked' info with his name on it.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Ideally I think Ridley could use Classic Ridley and Meta Ridley as alts.

Yes. :D
Are you implying over Roidley or concept artery? Or just referring to a color change? I'd understand the latter two but Roidley kinda has gorilla arms that screw over any they Ridley desing's chances.

Oh that have me a cool idea, what if the made meta Roidley specifically for this game?

So, quick recap, I know the All-star leak revealed that not all the characters are unlocked, but seeing as Ridley was not mentioned on the actual leak, how are we so positive of his inclusion? I'm surmising another, credible leaker 'leaked' info with his name on it.
Credible? Maybe

Does it match up to a near tee with what we've seen so far and also predates the Ninka/Vaanrose? Yes and yes.

Last edited:

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
I just realized Sofar with the Trophy theory we've got
Palutena(Newcomer) & Dark Pit(Clone)
Robin(Newcomer) & Lucina(Clone)
Could this Mean:
Ridley(Newcomer) & ???(Clone)
???(Newcomer) & Impa(Clone)
This is just a trend I noticed.

Romatis

Smash Rookie
Assuming the Ridley is playable, how do you think he would be unlocked? Its probably safe to assume that you have to do a specific task as Samus (and possibly ZSS) but what would be glorious enough for the pirate king Ridley?

Also no "don't drink the water" for the new guy? im sad :(

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Assuming the Ridley is playable, how do you think he would be unlocked? Its probably safe to assume that you have to do a specific task as Samus (and possibly ZSS) but what would be glorious enough for the pirate king Ridley?

Play the equivalent of Giant Smash a number of times.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Nope, there's no proof of Ridley's inclusion right now. However, there's no solid deconfirmation yet either, so we're stuck waiting out the last 10 days. Time to grin and bear it.

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
I just realized Sofar with the Trophy theory we've got
Palutena(Newcomer) & Dark Pit(Clone)
Robin(Newcomer) & Lucina(Clone)
Could this Mean:
Ridley(Newcomer) & ???(Clone)
???(Newcomer) & Impa(Clone)
This is just a trend I noticed.
Ridley -newcommer and Ganodarf -clone

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Are you implying over Roidley or concept artery? Or just referring to a color change? I'd understand the latter two but Roidley kinda has gorilla arms that screw over any they Ridley desing's chances.

Oh that have me a cool idea, what if the made meta Roidley specifically for this game?

Credible? Maybe

Does it match up to a near tee with what we've seen so far and also predates the Ninka/Vaanrose? Yes and yes.
Default Ridley is Conceptartley, but potentially we could see a slightly touched up Classic or Meta Ridley. Yes, the arms wouldn't be as big, but if they did the design right the hitbox would still be the same overall so people who want Classic Ridley could still play as him, even if Conceptartley clearly looks better. If not Classic Ridley and Meta Ridley as alts, then Meta Conceptartley.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman

there you go, new guy!
And 75 super missile shots as Sammy to unlock ridley

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
So, if by some chance he isn't in the games, we'll cry on each others' shoulders for a day, then prepare for the next smash, right?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, if by some chance he isn't in the games, we'll cry on each others' shoulders for a day, then prepare for the next smash, right?
Ridley doesn't bother me too much. I think he deserves to be playable and I think he IS playable, but I wouldn't cry over it or be angry over it. I'd only do that for K. Rool and Isaac.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think Ridley would probably kill the internet more than K. Rool, though. While K. Rool may be the more requested of the two, Ridley is infamous for just how controversial he is. Most people are either advocates for him, or very strongly against his inclusion. So unlike most character reveals, where it's mostly just supporters celebrating and everyone else just being relatively neutral, Ridley's reveal would bring out very intense and vocal reactions from both the large amount of supporters, and the large amount of detractors. This would also be magnified further because of how vocal Ridley supporters and detractors are.

Romatis

Smash Rookie
A mix between both Roidley and Ridley would be fitting, because while Ridley has imo the better design, his proportions if shrunken would look kind of... off. Specifically his neck which kind of looks weird in the size comparisons, it feels to skinny and his neck looks like it should break under the weight.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Oh god, hold me Phaazoid. The anticipation is going to destroy this thread at some point.

I, for one, think it's possible that we're going to get a Smash Direct a week before release, much like Hyrule Warriors did. I mean. If Hyrule Warriors can have two directs, why not Smash? I'm pretty sure that last Japanese direct didn't "count."

Romatis

Smash Rookie
Ridley DESERVES a trailer, especially after all the teasing massive hero sack of rice has done, but sadly I think he will be revealed when the game is released in Japan, which is to bad considering the badass potential a trailer would be for him

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Has anyone noticed how the scum of the universe has become more active with the release so close? I'm seeing them everywhere, booming with 'too big' and 'already confirmed as a stage hazard' kinds of arguments, attempting to bring Ridley supporters down before the game's release, really shameful, to tell the truth, do any of the other fanbases even have these kinds of detractors, being disgusting enough to actually fight against a character's well-deserved playable appearance?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh god, hold me Phaazoid. The anticipation is going to destroy this thread at some point.

I, for one, think it's possible that we're going to get a Smash Direct a week before release, much like Hyrule Warriors did. I mean. If Hyrule Warriors can have two directs, why not Smash? I'm pretty sure that last Japanese direct didn't "count."
Hyrule Warriors didn't have two directs, where'd that come from? The only game I'm aware of that had two directs in Pokemon X/Y.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

No, it didn't. It was a 3DS Direct, not a Smash Bros. Direct. I agree that we are very likely to get a last minute Smash Bros. Direct.

EndyTheDragon

Smash Rookie
One thing i've always wondered: Realsitically, how viable would Ridley be competetively? I don't care too much about competetive smash, but... Also, first time on the forums after lurking this topic since forever.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
One thing i've always wondered: Realsitically, how viable would Ridley be competetively? I don't care too much about competetive smash, but... Also, first time on the forums after lurking this topic since forever.
Completely impossible to tell without knowing what move set he has, what his movement options are, etcetera.

Romatis

Smash Rookie
Has anyone noticed how the scum of the universe has become more active with the release so close? I'm seeing them everywhere, booming with 'too big' and 'already confirmed as a stage hazard' kinds of arguments, attempting to bring Ridley supporters down before the game's release, really shameful, to tell the truth, do any of the other fanbases even have these kinds of detractors, being disgusting enough to actually fight against a character's well-deserved playable appearance?
Its just the trolls getting their daily lols, I don't see how anybody could disagree with Ridley being added to the game, sure they will whine at first but im sure he will become LOVED very quickly.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Welcome to Smash Boards! I think Ridley's competitive gameplay scene would be solely based on how much use players can get out of his air game.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
This is nearly impossible to tell right now. Large characters are usually low on the tier list. Simply because they're big targets and easy to juggle, usually. But we have no idea what Ridley's capabilities could be.

If Ridley is slow, like Sakurai hinted at. It's very likely he'll be low tier.
-Earlier post by me :4falcon:

Last edited:

PacoTaco

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4312-9999-1091
There is a Bayonetta 2 direct on Thursday but I DOUBT we will get a smash bros announcement so D:

Last edited:
Top Bottom