• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I used to be in the Ridley camp, but then I saw the Brawl mod of him and lost hope.
I also saw the CSS and how he does not fit in without major restructuring, and that will not happen. It never did in the past (aside from 1 character).

It was a good push, but I think it is over for the purple dragon. Sakurai just does not want him (or other bosses it seems) playable.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, most every fan base for a character has to deal with detractors. Some more than others. But I don't think any fan base comes close to getting as much hate as the Ridley fan base. I've actually seen people who believe that all that hate is necessary because Ridley fans need to realize that Ridley is a "completely illogical" character choice.
I'm still reminded of times we had to deal with Robin detractors because they thought it was completely illogical to support someone who "obviously wasn't the main character and/or wasn't in Gematsu".

But I think the most foolish size argument I've ever heard was that sizing down Ridley would be like sizing down Petey Piranha, "because it wouldn't look right".

That last picture is from a mod, but the size itself is faithful to the vanilla game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, I'm pretty neutral on the whole matter, so it should be amusing either way. But wait, aren't there more supporters of Ridley than there are antis? Ridley seems to be a wildly popular character.
The reason the internet explodes either way is twofold.

Option A.) Ridley is playable.
1. The Ridley fans go crazy over the fact that he's playable and finally announced.
2. Detractors rant and rave about Ridley's inclusion, and are in denial about it, with some flip-flopping and joining the supporters.

Option B.) Ridley is not playable.
1. The Ridley fans go crazy in denial over Sakurai waiting so long to deconfirm Ridley.
2. Detractors rant and rave about how much they were right and how Ridley will never become playable.

Either way results in the internet blowing up. It doesn't matter which one. The fact is, Ridley has the most controversial fanbase of all. He does NOT have the most supporters, although Ridley supporters have been waiting the longest of any other prospective character, as Ridley hasn't had any competition at all from his franchise.

The next closest, King K. Rool, was mainly supported post-Brawl because everyone was waiting for Diddy Kong to be playable first. If it wasn't for K. Rool being absent in Returns and Tropical Freeze, 90% of the speculation community would probably consider King K. Rool as the #1 most likely newcomer for Smash Bros.

I used to be in the Ridley camp, but then I saw the Brawl mod of him and lost hope.
I also saw the CSS and how he does not fit in without major restructuring, and that will not happen. It never did in the past (aside from 1 character).

It was a good push, but I think it is over for the purple dragon. Sakurai just does not want him (or other bosses it seems) playable.
I've seen this argument pop up and I've determined that Sakurai proved this completely and totally 100% invalid. We are only seeing a glimpse of the roster at this point on time. The existing CSS does not make sense, but the final CSS WILL make sense. This always happens in Smash games except 64, I don't see what's so different here.

How does Sakurai prove this argument is invalid? All-Star mode. Everyone came in with their own theories on the All-Star Mode roster before Sakurai officially confirmed how it worked. We don't know how the CSS will work at all, except rows and columns can be added to the roster. That's literally all we know.

As far as Brawl mods go, of course mods aren't going to make him look good. You need to create the model with the intent in mind of making Ridley playable, as opposed to a boss. Its not hard to do or think about, really. If Ridley is designed with the idea in mind of him being playable right from the start, the model will look perfectly fine.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
It was a good push, but I think it is over for the purple dragon.
Is it 13 September already? No? Then don't make that call. There's still eight shots left in Sakurai's magazine and they could very well all be blanks. We have all the evidence in Ridley's favor. The CSS can change, we've seen it happen before. It'd cost Nintendo money for Sakurai to not make him playable now.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't use a mod as a basis to how the character will actually feel and play in the game.
One character is always enough to disprove a argument like that.
How the heck do you know that? And that statement is immediately wrong considering that we already have playable characters that were bosses in their games.

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The reason the internet explodes either way is twofold.

Option A.) Ridley is playable.
1. The Ridley fans go crazy over the fact that he's playable and finally announced.
2. Detractors rant and rave about Ridley's inclusion, and are in denial about it, with some flip-flopping and joining the supporters.

Option B.) Ridley is not playable.
1. The Ridley fans go crazy in denial over Sakurai waiting so long to deconfirm Ridley.
2. Detractors rant and rave about how much they were right and how Ridley will never become playable.

Either way results in the internet blowing up. It doesn't matter which one. The fact is, Ridley has the most controversial fanbase of all. He does NOT have the most supporters, although Ridley supporters have been waiting the longest of any other prospective character, as Ridley hasn't had any competition at all from his franchise.

The next closest, King K. Rool, was mainly supported post-Brawl because everyone was waiting for Diddy Kong to be playable first. If it wasn't for K. Rool being absent in Returns and Tropical Freeze, 90% of the speculation community would probably consider King K. Rool as the #1 most likely newcomer for Smash Bros.

I've seen this argument pop up and I've determined that Sakurai proved this completely and totally 100% invalid. We are only seeing a glimpse of the roster at this point on time. The existing CSS does not make sense, but the final CSS WILL make sense. This always happens in Smash games except 64, I don't see what's so different here.

How does Sakurai prove this argument is invalid? All-Star mode. Everyone came in with their own theories on the All-Star Mode roster before Sakurai officially confirmed how it worked. We don't know how the CSS will work at all, except rows and columns can be added to the roster. That's literally all we know.

As far as Brawl mods go, of course mods aren't going to make him look good. You need to create the model with the intent in mind of making Ridley playable, as opposed to a boss. Its not hard to do or think about, really. If Ridley is designed with the idea in mind of him being playable right from the start, the model will look perfectly fine.
Seen many roster analyses and all show the same thing, he does not fit (unless he is a clone). I quote:

Series don't just warp to other parts of the select screen. Smash Bros select screens have an order set up that stays the same throughout the entire unlocking process.

Notice how, on all three, everyone stays in the same basic order, with Melee's Pikachu being the sole exception (Luigi takes his spot, while Pikachu goes to the bottom row to be with the three unlockable Pokemon characters). The main difference between the three is that Brawl uses a column-based pattern, while Melee and SSB4 use rows.

Unlockables are wedged to fit in next to members of the same series. If you ignore the unlockable characters on any of the three, the order from the starting roster is still present (With, once again, the exception being Melee's Pikachu).

So, no. If Lucas were in the game, Ness would appear after Palutena and before Marth.

There's evidence supporting that they're not gonna move, and absolutely nothing supporting the other outcome.

I'm gonna go with the side that actually has a reason for me to believe in it.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Is it 13 September already? No? Then don't make that call. There's still eight shots left in Sakurai's magazine and they could very well all be blanks. We have all the evidence in Ridley's favor. The CSS can change, we've seen it happen before. It'd cost Nintendo money for Sakurai to not make him playable now.
Are you sure? Logically speaking, just one character not making it as playable should not be a deal breaker, that's how I see it at least.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

Uh... the CSS we saw looks like the half unlocked Brawl one, characters in all sorts of weird positions. It's been shown time and time again that Ridley being in that CSS would help sort out some of the chaos for the "final" one (that is, when all are unlocked).

Also, not wanting "Boss characters", like Bowser and Ganondorf, nah we'll never see anyone like them in the game...

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Are you sure? Logically speaking, just one character not making it as playable should not be a deal breaker, that's how I see it at least.
@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 ranted about it several pages back, now. The gist of it is, at this point, either Ridley is playable or Sakurai and Nintendo are no longer trustworthy.

Someone feel free to correct me if I took the wrong message from that.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Uh... the CSS we saw looks like the half unlocked Brawl one, characters in all sorts of weird positions. It's been shown time and time again that Ridley being in that CSS would help sort out some of the chaos for the "final" one (that is, when all are unlocked).

Also, not wanting "Boss characters", like Bowser and Ganondorf, nah we'll never see anyone like them in the game...
And brawl filled in characters by adding them and shifting the characters to the right. You cannot add, shift and move to the next row in a logical, procedural fashion and add Ridley in. It is not possible.

As for adding in Boss Characters, Bowser and Ganondorf were in since Melee. No real new bosses have been made playable. Does not seem like it either.

@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 ranted about it several pages back, now. The gist of it is, at this point, either Ridley is playable or Sakurai and Nintendo are no longer trustworthy.

How is Nintendo not trustworthy? They have never said anything, and the one piece of info they did give us had "Boss written all over it."

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Trustworthy? I don't remember a playable Ridley being promised to us...

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So the big question.

If Ridley is a stage boss...

For damage control, would it best for Sakurai to announce that he is a stage boss now or after the 3ds release?

If he does it before, people get pissed and buy the game grudgingly and be mad. They eventually seem him as a boss for Wii U.
If he does after, people find out about Ridley not being unlocked and see him as a stage boss for Wii U later.

I know I want to know now. But, what would be the best strategy for Nintendo from a marketing perspective to not anger the Ridley fan base? (Excluding the obvious, shouldn't have teased Ridley and confirmed a year ago.)

What would you do if you were Sakurai and you had made Ridley the pyosphere boss and you are now realizing that you shouldn't have been teasing it for a year. How do you keep the majority of your consumers happy and bring in as much $$$ despite this mistake?

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
@ drag0nscythe drag0nscythe
Well actually, if you pay attention Bowser Jr appears out of nowhere, getting together with the Mario characters. Thus, disrupting the flow you are pointing out.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Pretty much.

Trustworthy? I don't remember a playable Ridley being promised to us...
There are different types of trust.

A character not being playable is just that. It's a character not being playable. It sucks, sure, but we get over it.

A character being taunted, teased, and then wind up not playable? After a year of said teasing? When the company knows that you want the character, and have been misinterpreting their posts?

You don't have a reason to trust that company, or it's products. It clearly does not value you as a customer. When the employees are posting pics mocking you (Barney pic, Smash Ball Meta Knight on Pyrosphere), when the company teases the character, and doesn't take the same steps to confirm the official status that they do for every other character, that sends a message. That is Nintendo telling everyone still believing in Ridley that they are not a target customer for Nintendo.

Nintendo is saying that @ Eisendrachen Eisendrachen 's status as a customer is less important to them than either: A) The fun they get out of trolling the fanbase. Or: B) The effort to make a two line twitter disconfirmation.

Nintendo knows the Ridley fans are here. By this point (more than a year after the tease), they KNOW there's a massive hunk of the fanbase that has misinterpreted the initial post about Ridley (This is assuming that Ridley is not playable, even though he actually is and we all know it.). They have not BOTHERED to take fifteen seconds out of their day to type "Ridley is a stage boss. Unfortunately, he is not playable this time".

That is a company that does not care about you as a customer.

However, I think we can agree, that is NOT Nintendo.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
So the big question.

For damage control, would it best for Sakurai to announce that he is a stage boss now or after the 3ds release?

If he does it before, people get pissed and buy the game grudgingly and be mad. They eventually seem him as a boss for Wii U.
If he does after, people find out about Ridley not being unlocked and see him as a stage boss for Wii U later.

I know I want to know now. But, what would be the best strategy for Nintendo from a marketing perspective to not anger the Ridley fan base? (Excluding the obvious, shouldn't have teased Ridley and confirmed a year ago.)

What would you do if you were Sakurai and you had made Ridley the pyosphere boss and you are now realizing that you shouldn't have been teasing it for a year. How do you keep the majority of your consumers happy and bring in as much $$$ despite this mistake?
Go back in time and not make Ridley a boss :)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So the big question.

Not mention anything untill after the release to help spur sales, then introduce the boss mechanics that no one knows anything about and that he has kept mostly secret. All we know is Yellow Devil (for sure). He is hiding away that mode/aspect until later. That is why Ridley has been avoided, not because of playable.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
So the big question.

I think the problem lies with the individual, not Sakurai. Sakurai can't help it if people get locked on ONE particular aspect. There is more to Smash than that.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So the big question.

For damage control, it was better to do it a year ago.

No matter when he does it now, he's too late. We're five weeks away from the majority of the Ridley fanbase getting the ability to purchase the game. It doesn't matter when you drop it, that resentment is still going to be there at launch. The sooner, the better, but unless you can somehow keep Ridley's status ambiguous all the way through the American release, it is going to blow up in Nintendo's face.

I think the problem lies with the individual, not Sakurai. Sakurai can't help it if people get locked on ONE particular aspect. There is more to Smash than that.
The Nintendo marketers can. And it is, in fact, their job to. The entire job of marketing is to keep people focused on as many positives of your product as possible. To downplay and pass by the negatives. Dropping a huge negative right at launch is one of the worst marketing mistakes possible.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well, most every fan base for a character has to deal with detractors. Some more than others. But I don't think any fan base comes close to getting as much hate as the Ridley fan base. I've actually seen people who believe that all that hate is necessary because Ridley fans need to realize that Ridley is a "completely illogical" character choice.
Okay, so let's recap... Sonic can't move at the speed of sound, Jigglypuff still exists despite her gradual drop in popularity, Mr. Game & Watch is playable with a moveset thought up on the fly, R.O.B. is a playable toy with a moveset thought up on the fly, Mewtwo is horribly underpowered in Melee despite his canonical overpowered-ness, Ganondorf is a clone and sucks in Brawl despite his canonical overpowered-ness, Olimar is a ****** when he should be the size of a quarter, Pikachu can use Skull Bash even though there's no way you can teach it that move in the games, Capt. Falcon has a moveset entirely thought up on the top of Sakurai's mind that has no canonical connection to F-Zero other than his final smash, Ness and Lucas have PK Starstorm as their final smash even though they can't learn it at all in their games, Palutena has her power reduced to that of a mortal so she isn't overpowered, Kirby can use multiple copy abilities at once, Villager can grab burning hot objects with his bare hands and not be phased, Bowser is a FREAKING LUCHADOR, ....and Bowser Jr. fights in his Clown Car which barely flies over the ground.

But having a miniature Ridley as a playable character?
NOOOOO! BAD! ILLOGICAL! SHOULDN'T BE SHRUNK! WOULD LOOK STUPID! WOULD BREAK CANON! RIDLEY IS SATAN! RIDLEY FANS ARE SATAN! RIDLEY SHOULDN'T EVEN BE MENTIONED ONCE IN SMASH!
BAD! BAD! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!

....Can't wait for the day that's over with.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Not mention anything untill after the release to help spur sales, then introduce the boss mechanics that no one knows anything about and that he has kept mostly secret. All we know is Yellow Devil (for sure). He is hiding away that mode/aspect until later. That is why Ridley has been avoided, not because of playable.
So let's dangle one of the most requested characters in front of their faces, let them get their hopes high for his playability once they put two and two together. Only to use him for a new boss mechanic!

That's a dumb idea...

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I know we shouldn't be talking about the roster CSS or whatever, but I have an interesting idea:

What if the final CSS has so many slots that they can't all fit into the 3DS screen, even when they are all at their smallest size possible?

Because of this, you have to scroll around to select the other characters you can't see in the current screen? Since it's a handheld, it wouldn't be a bother during multiplayer.

Oh, but what do I know.

ow.png

Kind of a crappy strategy since they are teasing it using, oh, I dunno, one of the most requested characters for Smash 4?

Also, hurray, I get to be the Yellow Devil. Sure can't wait to shuffle around the stage very slowly, shoot once, and do that for the rest of the match. Oh, and just appear every now and then. And on one only specific stage. Bundles of joy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay, so let's recap... Sonic can't move at the speed of sound, Jigglypuff still exists despite her gradual drop in popularity, Mr. Game & Watch is playable with a moveset thought up on the fly, R.O.B. is a playable toy with a moveset thought up on the fly, Mewtwo is horribly underpowered in Melee despite his canonical overpowered-ness, Ganondorf is a clone and sucks in Brawl despite his canonical overpowered-ness, Olimar is ****** when he should be the size of a quarter, Pikachu can use Skull Bash even though there's no way you can teach it that move in the games, Capt. Falcon has a moveset entirely thought up on the top of Sakurai's mind that has no canonical connection to F-Zero other than his final smash, Ness and Lucas have PK Starstorm as their final smash even though they can't learn it at all in their games, Palutena has her power reduced to that of a mortal so she isn't over powered, Kirby can use multiple copy abilities at once, Villager can grab burning hot objects with his bare hands and not be phased, Bowser is a FREAKING LUCHADOR, ....and Bowser Jr. fights in his Clown Car which barely flies over the ground.

But having a miniature Ridley as a playable character?
NOOOOO! BAD! ILLOGICAL! SHOULDN'T BE SHRUNK! WOULD LOOK STUPID! WOULD BREAK CANON! RIDLEY IS SATAN! RIDLEY FANS ARE SATAN! RIDLEY SHOULDN'T EVEN BE MENTIONED ONCE IN SMASH!
BAD! BAD! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!

....Can't wait for the day that's over with.
I have no problem with a down-scaled Ridley, but I have to admit that it is going to look pretty "stupid." Obviously I do not mind, but I will probably have to adjust to this baby Ridley.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Why does detractors always gotta show up RIGHT when the PotD is about to come out? Look, I don't really care if anyone who comes to this thread spouting claims against Ridley's inclusion, but if you think your going to be welcomed with opened arms when all you do is say the same BS about Ridley not being playable (when, TBH, it's just as opinionated as our claims that supports Ridley's inclusion), then you got your priorities mixed up. If you don't want Ridley playable (and don't say you do when you CLEARLY don't), fine, good for you. All I ask is, why are you even here when 9/10 of the conversation here is to SUPPORT Ridley. This is a Discussion Thread, yes I know, but people need to get there priorities set before coming in here and detract against Ridley.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I have no problem with a down-scaled Ridley, but I have to admit that it is going to look pretty "stupid." Obviously I do not mind, but I will probably have to adjust to this baby Ridley.
littlebirdie.jpg

Even then, I don't think Ridley would look much like a "baby", since his pose may make him appear somewhat smaller than what he looks.

Plus, this exists:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
And brawl filled in characters by adding them and shifting the characters to the right. You cannot add, shift and move to the next row in a logical, procedural fashion and add Ridley in. It is not possible.

As for adding in Boss Characters, Bowser and Ganondorf were in since Melee. No real new bosses have been made playable. Does not seem like it either.

How is Nintendo not trustworthy? They have never said anything, and the one piece of info they did give us had "Boss written all over it."
Brawl added characters by doing all sorts of things. Brawl's CSS was a mess while unlocking.

I need to head off now, and I can reply in more detail later, but consider the image of the Brawl screen previous posted, characters moved about all over the shop. Peach started out somewhere in the middle and migrated.

...so now it's new real bosses. Very convenient there.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Thank you, @ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 , for going back over that more eloquently than this one could possibly have done. :smirk:

We have eight PotD left. Eight chances for Sakurai to maintain his credibility in the event he isn't giving us a playable Ridley. And even then, yeah, people are gonna be PO'd, but it'd be much less of a blow to Nintendo than the alternative.

But after the last year we've had on this ride? Ridley is IN, end of story. We know this to be fact. The ONLY variable is human error... and by the 13th we'll know if Sakurai has or has not made that error. :evil:

Morbi

Scavenger
Why does detractors always gotta show up RIGHT when the PotD is about to come out? Look, I don't really care if anyone who comes to this thread spouting claims against Ridley's inclusion, but if you think your going to be welcomed with opened arms when all you do is say the same BS about Ridley not being playable (when, TBH, it's just as opinionated as our claims that supports Ridley's inclusion), then you got your priorities mixed up. If you don't want Ridley playable (and don't say you do when you CLEARLY don't), fine, good for you. All I ask is, why are you even here when 9/10 of the conversation here is to SUPPORT Ridley. This is a Discussion Thread, yes I know, but people need to get there priorities set before coming in here and detract against Ridley.
To be fair, I doubt a detractor cares if they are going to be welcome with open arms. They expect the discussion to be respectful in the event that they are respectful. It is as simple as that.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Thank you, @ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 , for going back over that more eloquently than this one could possibly have done. :smirk:

We have eight PotD left. Eight chances for Sakurai to maintain his credibility in the event he isn't giving us a playable Ridley. And even then, yeah, people are gonna be PO'd, but it'd be much less of a blow to Nintendo than the alternative.

But after the last year we've had on this ride? Ridley is IN, end of story. We know this to be fact. The ONLY variable is human error... and by the 13th we'll know if Sakurai has or has not made that error. :evil:
...Your confidence scares me, sometimes. :c

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You know, I'm thinking here: How heavy would Ridley be? I mean, sure, he's big, but would he actually be very heavy? I mean, we've seen his wingspan, it's not that impressive (it's at its biggest in the Prime saga). He also doesn't beat his wings a lot to get airborne in any of the games. So he must be pretty light, if he flies so easily.

So he would be a big target, but a very light character? That would explain him needing good recovery (like the "flight" mechanic).

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Speakin' of detractors coming in, where was Zipso today? Did I miss him during the bomb explosion that was the "Waluigi more Popular than Ridley" incident?

Oh well, I just hope the PotD doesn't even get near Ridley or helps him subtly.

You know, I'm thinking here: How heavy would Ridley be? I mean, sure, he's big, but would he actually be very heavy? I mean, we've seen his wingspan, it's not that impressive (it's at its biggest in the Prime saga). He also doesn't beat his wings a lot to get airborne in any of the games. So he must be pretty light, if he flies so easily.

So he would be a big target, but a very light character? That would explain him needing good recovery (like the "flight" mechanic).
Heavy weight with a flight mechanic sounds pretty neat, something along the lines of how heavy bowser was circa melee or brawl ganondorf maybe.

We've seen what a big lightweight character is like, and I don't want to experience that again.

Poor mewtwo...

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Speakin' of detractors coming in, where was Zipso today? Did I miss him during the bomb explosion that was the "Waluigi more Popular than Ridley" incident?

Oh well, I just hope the PotD doesn't even get near Ridley or helps him subtly.

Heavy weight with a flight mechanic sounds pretty neat, something along the lines of how heavy bowser was circa melee or brawl ganondorf maybe.

We've seen what a big lightweight character is like, and I don't want to experience that again.

Poor mewtwo...
He can stay gone, for all I care. He's a punk, doing everything he does to get us riled up, and he knows it. That's the worst kind of troll, and I honestly have no respect, or even tolerance for him at all.

Oh, yeah. Ridley thread. Better think of something fast...

What would you think if Ridley does end up as a playable boss on Pyrosphere? To be honest, it could be a possibility, considering we've seen absolutely nothing regarding gamepad functionality for the Wii U yet, and Pyrosphere has been confirmed for that console only.

I'm surprised that detractors don't use that argument more often. Quick! Grasp all the straws you can to fill this hole!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I think he's in Japan or something, so he ends up coming on around 5-6:00a.m. At least, that's when I see him show up.

What would you think if Ridley does end up as a playable boss on Pyrosphere?
Well, from what we seen, he'd be a slow boss, that's for sure. I'm not sure what attacks he'll do since he didn't do anything (a + imo for him to not be a boss), but if he is one, lets hope he'd be fun. Which I doubt, 100%.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I just thought of another good "explanation of marketing" example I wanted to throw out.

Eiji Aonuma, after the initial reveal video about the Wii U Legend of Zelda, was asked about the Link shown. His response was "No one explicitly said that was Link”.

As a result of this, the internet blew up with speculation. "Female Link!" "Playable Zelda!" "Child of Link and Zelda from Skyward Sword!" Etcetera.

Aonuma then came out almost immediately and said that the character in the trailer was indeed Link.

Why? Why would he do that? After all, he never said it wasn't Link. He simply said that they hadn't STATED that was Link. Which was absolutely true.

This is because marketing is NOT about what you say. Marketing is about how the customers INTERPRET what you say. If they interpret your statement incorrectly, it is YOUR job to fix that impression. It is not their job to read your mind and understand what you meant.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Well, my hopes for Ridley are slightly restored due to last night's All-Star Mode explanation.

Ridley can be in and that picture from the trailer don't mean ****.

Still... I don't have very much hope.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
...Your confidence scares me, sometimes. :c
Good! If you want coddling, go to the blasted GalFeds! :demon:

I agree with @ Poopmin Poopmin , actually, Ridley should be a heavy flier. Bit lighter than :bowser2:, maybe about :wolf:'s speed? No floating necessary, either. If compensation is needed, dial back his damage/knockback a bit, we were discussing a command grab-centric moveset awhile back~

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Ridley's wings can propel him through the vacuum of space. I'm pretty sure that when you have the power to push yourself through literal void, your actual weight becomes meaningless to your flight capabilities.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much.

There are different types of trust.

A character not being playable is just that. It's a character not being playable. It sucks, sure, but we get over it.

A character being taunted, teased, and then wind up not playable? After a year of said teasing? When the company knows that you want the character, and have been misinterpreting their posts?

You don't have a reason to trust that company, or it's products. It clearly does not value you as a customer. When the employees are posting pics mocking you (Barney pic, Smash Ball Meta Knight on Pyrosphere), when the company teases the character, and doesn't take the same steps to confirm the official status that they do for every other character, that sends a message. That is Nintendo telling everyone still believing in Ridley that they are not a target customer for Nintendo.

Nintendo is saying that @ Eisendrachen Eisendrachen 's status as a customer is less important to them than either: A) The fun they get out of trolling the fanbase. Or: B) The effort to make a two line twitter disconfirmation.

Nintendo knows the Ridley fans are here. By this point (more than a year after the tease), they KNOW there's a massive hunk of the fanbase that has misinterpreted the initial post about Ridley (This is assuming that Ridley is not playable, even though he actually is and we all know it.). They have not BOTHERED to take fifteen seconds out of their day to type "Ridley is a stage boss. Unfortunately, he is not playable this time".

That is a company that does not care about you as a customer.

However, I think we can agree, that is NOT Nintendo.
Don't be such a baby, you haven't been misled. They've never implied ridley was playable.

You can't twist this into somehow being Nintendo's responsibility for the way you have deluded yourself with nonsense about how "they never said he wasn't playable therefore he must be playable!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom