• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Basically like half the people in my middle school in a nutshell. :p
I remember in my high school they had a wii in a room you could go to during free periods. This kid would bring brawl every day, and when I found out about it, I blew their minds by bringing in a project M sd card. there are deffinintly about 2-3 dozen people in my school who have pretty good taste in games.
Of course, there are also tons of those that you mentioned in your school that are all FIFA GTA and CoD.
When smash 3d comes out we'll Definetly be having tons of smashes and smash runs. (Hopefully during which I will destroy them with Ridley)

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Well, it certainly doesn't help that today's youth are attracted to crap like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty, and their parents are generally too dimwitted to naysay it...
Basically like half the people in my middle school in a nutshell. :p
Ladies, Gentlemen, Non-Humans, and Space Pirates, presenting the GLORIOUS future of the gaming industry. *end sarcasm*

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
I remember in my high school they had a wii in a room you could go to during free periods. This kid would bring brawl every day, and when I found out about it, I blew their minds by bringing in a project M sd card. there are deffinintly about 2-3 dozen people in my school who have pretty good taste in games.
Of course, there are also tons of those that you mentioned in your school that are all FIFA GTA and CoD.
When smash 3d comes out we'll Definetly be having tons of smashes and smash runs. (Hopefully during which I will destroy them with Ridley)
Aim in

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, is there anyone who is actually considered slight competition for Ridley.
There is really no one who I think could make sense as a Metroid newcomer besides Ridley.
Except for maybe that one guy.......

Like a one shot character that originated from an already controversial game has a chance of being Ridley's competition. :rolleyes:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Can I just point out that Ridley can have literally any design that Sakurai ever desires?

I mean, yes, Samus does use her Other M Design, but it still doesn't stray away from her Classic Power Suit. Yes, Pyrosphere is a stage, but it's still your average everyday "I'm a Metroid Stage with Lava, with a bit of Machinery going here and there, nice to meet you."
And as for Ridley's very short appearance looking like his Concept Art design from Other M, but it could very well be an Upgraded Brawley, A Modified Super-Metroidley or even a nod to the original Metroid's design (And by that I mean Gameplay's interpretation, not the Art's interpretation.) with modifications here and there, since we HAVE seen Mother Brain.

All I'm saying is that Ridley can take any shape and size Sakurai pleases.
...LIKE A TURTLE.
SICK SHOKIO BURN!!! :4pacman:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Like a one shot character that originated from an already controversial game has a chance of being Ridley's competition. :rolleyes:
Remember Sakurai logic. Also the hunters from Hunters and Corruption, but apparently nobody remembers them...
That and if Fire Emblem is anything to go by, one-shot characters aren't an impossibility...
Can I just point out that Ridley can have literally any design that Sakurai ever desires?

I mean, yes, Samus does use her Other M Design, but it still doesn't stray away from her Classic Power Suit. Yes, Pyrosphere is a stage, but it's still your average everyday "I'm a Metroid Stage with Lava, with a bit of Machinery going here and there, nice to meet you."
And as for Ridley's very short appearance looking like his Concept Art design from Other M, but it could very well be an Upgraded Brawley, A Modified Super-Metroidley or even a nod to the original Metroid's design (And by that I mean Gameplay's interpretation, not the Art's interpretation.) with modifications here and there, since we HAVE seen Mother Brain.

...LIKE A TURTLE.
The only problem with this line of logic is that literally every series represented in the game has its own "art-style" that the characters from that series all follow. Toon Link is the only exception because of the the technicality of The Wind Waker and its sequels being part of a "sub-series" of The Legend of Zelda. Ridley not having an Other M inspired design would go against that pattern. Plus Sakurai already revealed that Other M will serve as inspiration for Ridley's design.

Edit: Not saying that Ridley won't be playable, because I really do indeed believe he will, but Sakurai is a very sneaky man. And a troll.

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Don't you hate it when detractors use Ridley's intellect as an argument? Because they think he is a mindless killer. They don't even know how smart ridley is, just because they see him kill most things that get in his way, they think he is mindless, if they think he is mindless then I guess they either never knew the origins of mecha ridley or never played Zero mission since Ridley is the one who built his own unfinished robotic clone.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Been lurking for awhile and there's some thoughts I need to get off my chest. Please feel free to discuss and breathe some life into this thread. :happysheep:

At this point, if Ridley is not a playable character, it would not be a good business decision on Nintendo's part. Right now, Nintendo desperately needs to move Wii U units and it is very clear that Nintendo is doing its best to cater to Super Smash Bros. fans to sell more consoles. This is obvious by putting in fan character requests, hosting that E3 tournament, etc...

That being said, Ridley has been one of the most highly requested characters since way back from the Melee days and even mentioned directly to Sakurai from Nintendo Power. Not to mention, he has been in EVERY Smash Bros. game in one form or another. Furthermore, Nintendo seems to be keeping an eye on what's going on on the Internet. After all, they were quick to clarify Chrom's role in Robin's Final Smash just one day after Lucina and Robin's reveal trailer when some people were confused. Or even with Sakurai mentioning Samus's recently revealed alternative costumes were designed by a female with the controversy surrounding the "oversexualization" of Samus. But with Ridley, with all of the debate, trolling, flaming, etc. on multiple message boards, neither Sakurai nor Nintendo has said a damn thing.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if Nintendo is serious about catering to Super Smash Bros. fans to sell more Wii U units, it would be unwise to not have Ridley as a playable character. This is ESPECIALLY considering all of the festering Ridley debates, trolling, etc. that have been occuring for YEARS. Meanwhile, the only information we have on Ridley is that he was vaguely implied to show up in Pyrosphere in some fashion more than a year ago and then unclearly teased as a stage hazard four months ago without ever actually mentioning his name. After all of this, I would be astonished if Nintendo actually had the lack of common sense to make him a stage hazard.**

Don't get me wrong here. It's not like I'm saying that Ridley's (or any other character for that matter) inclusion or exclusion will have a huge impact on Smash Bros. Wii U and Wii U console sales. What I am saying is that if Nintendo is serious about trying to cater to the Smash Bros. fans (and not just some of them) to drive sales, it would follow that Ridley would be a playable character. It's not any different than characters like :4megaman:, :4littlemac:, etc.

**Note that I am talking about Nintendo here, not Sakurai. Don't misunderstand me. There's no doubt that Sakurai is a genius and has created this wonderful game series we call Smash Bros. However, I could easily see Sakurai making Ridley a stage hazard, mainly because Sakuari seems to have demonstrated a lack of experience with the Metroid series in the last few iterations of Smash Bros.*** He has also demonstrated a disconnection with what most people enjoy about Smash Bros.**** Even though Sakurai doesn't directly work for Nintendo anymore, he still needs to listen to what Nintendo has to say about fan requests. It's difficult for me to imagine Nintendo saying "Ridley's a stage hazard, huh? Oh, that highly-requested character that has been the subject of much Internet debate over the last several years. Yeah, that's cool." It just doesn't make sense.

****What I am talking about specifically in this case are things like having spent 60% of Brawl's production time on the Subspace Emissary instead of focusing on the multi-player modes and balancing the characters... Adding tripping, etc. All of that is just unnecessarily annoying, whether you are a casual player or a hardcore "tournament" style player. I'm glad to see that Sakurai seems to be taking the multi-player modes more seriously this time.

***One of the indicators of Sakurai's unfamiliarity with the Metroid series is having rising lava/acid or rotation on EVERY Metroid stage in the series. But in the Metroid games, Samus has to traverse many different environments. Frozen areas, swamps, underwater areas, abandoned spaceships, the "dark half" of a planet, mines filled with radioactive material, many different kinds of alien environments, etc. But yet it's always lava/acid or part of a spaceship that keeps flipping around. And as far as the rotation, as one that has played every Metroid game, I don't recall ANY sort of rotation anywhere in any Metroid game... (except for those Spinner devices in the Prime games...) However, with the recent addition of the Mother Brain and Dark Samus assist trophies, as well as the Fusion and Zero Mission ending alternative costumes for Zero Suit Samus, I'm just going to optimistically think that Sakurai has educated himself on (or played all or most of) the Metroid series between Brawl and now. If he has, maybe he'll finally understand Ridley as a frequently reoccuring villian as well has his deep connection with Samus in the Metroid storyline. Then hopefully he'll better understand the reasoning behind Ridley's fans' desire to see him in Smash as a playable character. If not, and he tried to make Ridley a stage hazard, perhaps Nintendo might have set him straight.

Only time will tell if Ridley will be in the playable roster, and luckily we're down to only less than a month at this point.
Oh my, I've never looked at Ridley from much of a business perspective (which is weird because I always talk about helping Wii U sales). This is incredibly well put together, and I congratulate you for it. The points all fit together perfectly. This is possibly one of the best arguments I've seen in favor of Ridley, and you managed to explain it amazingly.

When you really look back on it, the majority of the newcomers this time around are due to fan demand: :4palutena:,:4littlemac:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4wiifit:,:4mii:,:4villager:, and more. Ridley is the main want of so many fans. From pros like M2K to places like ScrewAttack (I do have proof of these people saying they want Ridley in SSB4).

So, yeah, well done. Great post. I hope you get to post here more often. :)

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Remember Sakurai logic. Also the hunters from Hunters, but apparently nobody remembers them...
That and if Fire Emblem is anything to go by, one-shot characters aren't an impossibility...

The only problem with this line of logic is that literally every series represented in the game has its own "art-style" that the characters from that series all follow. Toon Link is the only exception because of the the technicality of The Wind Waker and its sequels being part of a "sub-series" of The Legend of Zelda. Ridley not having an Other M inspired design would go against that pattern. Plus Sakurai already revealed that Other M will serve as inspiration for Ridley's design.
Ooo good point rundus would be cool

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

...LIKE A TURTLE.
I've hung out in this thread for so long, that I've completely forgotten why size or various incarnations of Ridley is an issue. Whenever I think Ridley for Smash, I think of this size and incarnation.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Remember Sakurai logic. Also the hunters from Hunters, but apparently nobody remembers them...
It's more along the lines of him being from a Nintendo Wii game that nearly killed the Metroid franchise and had garnered more hate than praise over the years.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Those of you discussing other possible Metroid newcomers: After Ridley, Sylux has the most attention going for him, with Dark Samus being an assist.

Also, STAHP. We already know Ridley's in!

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
I've hung out in this thread for so long, that I've completely forgotten why size or various incarnations of Ridley is an issue. Whenever I think Ridley for Smash, I think of this size and incarnation.
They could defiantly get away with that size if the wings where not so far back and they could just fold them up when he is not flying

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Remember Sakurai logic. Also the hunters from Hunters and Corruption, but apparently nobody remembers them...
That and if Fire Emblem is anything to go by, one-shot characters aren't an impossibility....
I wouldn't say that the Hunters get in the way of Ridley. Especially after the fact that he's been teased and so many clues have been dropped towards him. I don't think Ridley even has much competition. Roster slots aren't an issue, look at Melee's roster. It wasn't even filled in and Sakurai made it work.

Fire Emblem isn't much to go by, the games don't typically feature recurring characters outside of direct sequels and DLC. Most of those games are connected on a time line with a few 100 years between each game or so.

But then again, Sakurai Logic could come into play at any time. Pre-Smash speculation is like Mario Party, only it's Sakurai instead of Bowser.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

Yesss this Other M Ridley acceptance pleases me greatly :love:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
But unlike most of the genius characters in Other M, people actually remembuh Anthony.

I really wish he was in as a Samus Semi-Clone, after Ridley of course.
If Fire Emblem gets a unique newcomer and a clone, why can't Metroid?

Anthony Higgs got style!

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
It's more along the lines of him being from a Nintendo Wii game that nearly killed the Metroid franchise and had garnered more hate than praise over the years.
Not to start a flame war or anything but a lot of that is both subjective and objective.

Note: I am agreeing that the game is controversial.

"Killing" the series is very much subjective. It's only been four years, plus Nintendo already confirmed more games are in development. There was also the Nintendo Land representation. Not to mention there was a far longer gap between Super Metroid (arguably the greatest Metroid game of all time) and Metroid Prime (8 years). Just because there is a release gap with no announcements, doesn't mean anything.

Additionally, if Nintendo really wanted to stray away from Other M, then they wouldn't be using that for inspiration in Sm4sh and Nintendo Land.
Alternately...
Smaller like ridley x or the original ridley

Those wings were comically small. I love it.:awesome:
Those of you discussing other possible Metroid newcomers: After Ridley, Sylux has the most attention going for him, with Dark Samus being an assist.

Also, STAHP. We already know Ridley's in!
As previously mentioned, Rundas as well...
I wouldn't say that the Hunters get in the way of Ridley. Especially after the fact that he's been teased and so many clues have been dropped towards him. I don't think Ridley even has much competition. Roster slots aren't an issue, look at Melee's roster. It wasn't even filled in and Sakurai made it work.

Fire Emblem isn't much to go by, the games don't typically feature recurring characters outside of direct sequels and DLC. Most of those games are connected on a time line with a few 100 years between each game or so.

But then again, Sakurai Logic could come into play at any time. Pre-Smash speculation is like Mario Party, only it's Sakurai instead of Bowser.
Just throwing it out there. Ridley must be in. Because logic.
But unlike most of the genius characters in Other M, people actually remembuh Anthony.

Anthony Higgs got style!
Crystal ball time: Manthony and Roidley simultaneously announced for Sm4sh.:troll:

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I want Rundas to be a 1:1 kirby clone
I want Ridley to be a 1:1 metaknight, but buffed clone.

Zynux

Smash Lord
This has all been way too much of an emotional roller coaster...
Welcome aboard the Ridley Train! Better fasten your seatbelts! It's going to be a bumpy ride!

CHOO CHOO! ENGAGING MOTHER****ing RIDLEY TRAIN COMING THROUGH!

ALLLL ABOOOARD!

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Anthony Higgs got style!
What? That is the most ridi-
...Actually...
...That's not a bad Idea...
Have SA-X, Samus and Ridley taking the helm with original movesets, and make Anthony a Lucina'd SA-X.
You good sir, deserve a shiny medal.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087

Anthony Higgs got style!
What? That is the most ridi-
...Actually...
...That's not a bad Idea...
Have SA-X, Samus and Ridley taking the helm with original movesets, and make Anthony a Lucina'd SA-X.
You good sir, deserve a shiny medal.
Not mine to give but, think like this:
Welcome aboard the Ridley Train! Better fasten your seatbelts! It's going to be a bumpy ride!

CHOO CHOO! ENGAGING MOTHER****ing RIDLEY TRAIN COMING THROUGH!

ALLLL ABOOOARD!
This reminds me of a certain Metroid Password.

ENGAGERIDLEYMOTHERF***ER (censored edition)

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Don't you hate it when detractors use Ridley's intellect as an argument? Because they think he is a mindless killer. They don't even know how smart ridley is, just because they see him kill most things that get in his way, they think he is mindless, if they think he is mindless then I guess they either never knew the origins of mecha ridley or never played Zero mission since Ridley is the one who built his own unfinished robotic clone.
Well to be fair, his intelligence is only really shown in the Manga.

Top Bottom