• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You're kidding me, right?
You made an account, to say something THAT stupid?
Well...I suppose it was a good laugh.
Well, if you watched the 16th Pokémon movie, you should know Genesects aren't very smart. :troll:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Here's a little bit of hope for you guys. <3 I know things have been a bit annoying with the "leak" and what-not.

Here's hoping Sakurai pulls through for you guys! You're such a huge inspiration to the community, and you've even got me to believe. I'll be just as equally disappointed if this guy doesn't make it somehow.
I watch that video everyday to remind my self not to give up hope, and that the pay off will be worth it all.

Uhh um yeah.......... im gonna regret saying this but... Ridley is already confirmed as a stage Hazard for thar samus stage Protosphere I think that was the name....... yeah Sukurai sort of said that...... yeah......

Did you really just say that? And just joined to say that?
Ughh, the stupid, it hurts. I need to take a minute.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Can't ridley somehow just fold his wings on his back and open them for flight purposes?
My thoughts here are that they'll fold behind him at a moderate size, but when he flies they'll expand out behind him.

Every time I need to explain Ridley's body here it ends up in a Marvel reference...

As long as his flight looks powerful, I'm all for it. I don't want it to look like the wings are doing the work, it has to be him, not the wings. Does that make sense?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Let's go the full ignorance route, just for kicks.

So let's assume that I am a newbie Smash Bros. player who has heard literally nothing about Metroid. I don't even know what Ridley or Space Pirates are, and I legitimately think Zero Suit Samus and Samus are two separate characters and that Master Chief-looking character is a guy.

Based on everything Sakurai has told us, I wouldn't even know what a Ridley is. As of now, I don't know who Ridley is. All I know is that there's a boss on Pyrosphere, and that something's shadow was shown. I refuse to do research, because I'm just that ignorant of Metroid, and am simply frustrated because I don't know what the Pyrosphere boss is, and how it'll disrupt the battle.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I refuse to do research
At this point you have stopped being merely ignorant and become maliciously ignorant. My point stands. :evil:

But none of that matters because these are just the last dying gasps of people lost to the black seas who can't comprehend the light grasping for them is our Commander. Ia! Ia! Ridley ftaghn!

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
I love how the thing that confirms Ridley the most is heavily tied/nearly the same thing as the thing that disconfirms Ridley the most.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Uhh um yeah.......... im gonna regret saying this but... Ridley is already confirmed as a stage Hazard for thar samus stage Protosphere I think that was the name....... yeah Sukurai sort of said that...... yeah......
Another detractor? :glare:
Anyway, Ridley is not confirmed as the Pyrosphere stage boss.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Όλα χαλάζι το πονηρό θεό του θανάτου
I love you google translate

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Post of the year.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

Its like people these days don't know what confirmed means.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
My thoughts here are that they'll fold behind him at a moderate size, but when he flies they'll expand out behind him.

Every time I need to explain Ridley's body here it ends up in a Marvel reference...

As long as his flight looks powerful, I'm all for it. I don't want it to look like the wings are doing the work, it has to be him, not the wings. Does that make sense?
Speaking of Marvel, Galactus was downscaled in LEGO MARVEL so he could be playable... Beat that, toobigots! :grin:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You're just salty about being reduced to a Pokeball summon. :awesome:

You do know Ridley is like a bee right
And... what is that supposed to mean?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Someone named after Genesect from Pokemon who mains only Space Furries talks about Intergalactic Space Dragons and Japanese Masterminds just to ruin our days.
Don't be racist, be Mario.

D

Deleted member 245254

Okay, I'm going to attempt to be civil with this uncontrollable mob that is the Ridley thread. Remember, most of this can be simply accounted as my opinion, but I believe they are rooted firmly in reality.

"An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any moment."

That nails it, you're either a moron, or a troll. And I'm done playing with you.
Of course since this is the Ridley thread and I'm arguing that Ridley's inclusion is unlikely, people who fire back with aggression that is infraction-worthy don't get touched.

That quote is a tease for Ridley's presence only on Pyrosphere, which would allude to him being a boss specifically. It wouldn't be a tease for his playability, hence, it doesn't really count as a "tease" in the realm of this discussion...over his playability.

The direct clip half-assedly counts as a tease simply because of all of the things people have determined from it by themselves, like his size being a "playable" size, or his movements being weird.

The rest is the community hyping themselves up. I've been a part of the MMORPG community for a very long time, and I've seen tens of high-profile MMORPG's come out with the expectation through the roof in every which way, only to watch the implosion post-release. It is literally dangerous to hype yourself up about something as much as people have about something you have very little way to prove except by waiting. It can certainly have severe affects on your psyche at worst, and at its most minimal will leave you feeling crappy for a little while, which is already too much when we're talking about a video game.

Zipzo ok so I understand you are not for Ridleys inclusion in the game. but I just wanted to show you this.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...g-in-the-detractors-paradise.324284/page-1095
This link will take you back a couple pages in this thread and if you scroll down on this page it shows a great comparison between Ridley and Megamans shadow on Pyrosphere. they are both in the air and both cast off a shadow. when we connect the dots Megamans shadow size is only about half of Ridley shadow size. In this game, Megaman is only half of Bowsers height as well. so the whole point of the Ridley detractors not wanting playable Ridley is because, in their OPINION it wouldn't look good. but this picture proves he is in fact playable sized in this game. So the question is, Would you rather have a decent sized playable Ridley or a Bowser sized boss Ridley?
Don't group me in to someone else's opinion, because that is not why I disagree with Ridley's inclusion. I'm open to the idea that he, within all sense in reality, could be a playable character from a technical perspective. He just isn't. He wasn't picked. I believe he was picked as a stage boss, teased as such, and the community took the reigns and blew full steam ahead in to their own speculation because they like the character. I think that's illogical, and irrational, letting your emotions do the thinking. I'm never in favor of such a thing, emotions make terrible decisions. I've experienced that first-hand, both doing myself and being on the receiving end.

Space pirates use phaser cannons and other forms of practical technobabble, not cannonballs.

Well, yes, no. We did kind of create the hype ourselves, but that's because we decided to look further into the footage. Our straw-grasping skills are unmatched by any other character fanbase. We found that, if you compared the shadow of Ridley to other shadows (and one I think still should be added to the 2nd post, MegaMan's shadow after he jumps off his dog thingmadoodle), and took the way the shadows work into consideration, Ridley would have been severely downscaled from his Other M size. We noticed that pattern thing too, and got curious as to why Ridley had to be the exception again. It didn't add up, at least for us.
The amount that has been discussed is certainly impressive, I will give you that. People often undervalue the amount of actual, science-based discussion I offered during the "great shadow debate", or just aren't aware of it at all and let their first inclination to shun a detractor move their fingers over the keyboard. I determined from the PotD and the direct clip that his presence as playable was not made more likely due to the size of the model, and that the shadow was unreliable for gauging his size based.

I went through the motions. I provided a real argument, and the Ridley community threw my civil discussion down my throat. What do you think that does for the future of civil detractors discussion? I ruins it. Nobody wants to be civil about presenting arguments as to why the evidence does not stack up, because the Ridley community cannot be civil with detractors in the first place, thus it is deemed a waste of time, and the best option for making a point is then seen as being brash and aggressive, because otherwise you get steamrolled. It's an active topic and trying to present an argument against his inclusion should honestly be seen as courageous, as it's most likely they are going to wind up arguing their side by themselves versus the massive Ridley crowd.

Heh. Ridley's existence was first teased at over a year ago. If a long wait full of the tension of uncertainity and fears of the PotD of death, and the pressure of the hatebase, doesn't count as an ordeal, then I don't know what does.
In all seriousness though, it's been a long and rugged road. The fact that we pulled through just makes us stand stronger. Or something.
This is nice, but it didn't need to happen in the first place if interpretation of Ridley's "teasing" was more rational and his play-ability wasn't so focused on. Just so you know, this is a character forum, meaning it's where we talk about playable characters. That means this is a 1.7k topic about his play ability. Not just fun in idolizing or adoring Ridley.

The idea isn't to troll anyone or crush someones dreams, it's trying to inject reality in to the situation. Why is it so wrong to discuss the subject from a perspective of reality instead of one drenched in a bit of blissful ignorance? I'm not saying people are ignorant, but much of the thought in this thread supporting him being playful can only be described as blissful ignorance, whether it's on purpose or not.

Here's the skinny. I'm totally fine with people supporting his inclusion. That's completely fine! People like a character, so they want him in. That's perfectly fine. It's when the community turns the finger on to Sakurai that I feel objection is necessary. When they blame him or put the obligation on him to provide something. They say that it's bad marketing for the game, or that Sakurai would have to be a dingbat to do what he's done with Ridley and not include him. That is not fine because you are forming baseless insults completely intertwined with your emotional vying for the Ridley. That is where I will come in and make it clear, that a lot of this thread is a fairy tale, in my opinion. It's fine to have fun, but when you start to insult the integrity of Sakurai and the games marketability because a character you want isn't getting the treatment you think it deserves, it passes over the "fun" borderline in to bitterness. A bitterness that affects everyone, even people who don't care about Ridley at all.

Its also your opinion the idea that the development team did not finish Ridley back in April. One that is based on nothing but conjecture and holds no more weight than any other opinion here.
I don't know the specifics on development progress, obviously, so that clearly wasn't the main thing I wanted to point out. The point was to clarify that the direct clip was obviously choreographed and should not be held as a demonstration as to how he could be playable due to the nature of how he moved.

You see, people are using his lack of presence during the pre-release phase as evidence of his play-ability. They think that because he is not being shown, that means there's more to him. That is not sufficient evidence for anything, it's the opposite of evidence. It is a lack of evidence. The evidence for his inclusion on the roster is exactly as it is...bare and nearly non-existent. That's the reality.

Like with any deconfirmed character, going into a thread a trolling said fanbase is grounds for an automatic trolling infraction.
You know, I will take my warning with dignity because I said something offensive, and I did it willingly and assertively. I deserved it.

However, it's likely that when I say "I told you so" it will be in the form of elegantly worded posts using logic and facts that are on the table, so it won't really be trolling.

In conclusion to everything, let's try to not to look at everything as trolling. Trolling would be me trying to cause chaos, and that isn't really what I'm intending to do, I'm just offering a contrasting opinion. I'm fully willing to debate with someone who can counter me validly, in a civil way, but first you have to understand just how sure I am of Ridley's status as a stage boss, and try not to get offended by that sheer rock-solid confidence.

Unless of course you want to tell me that essentially any post in here that is not in favor of his inclusion or arguing for the evidence of his inclusion is trolling or off-topic, in which case I will see myself out *shrug.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Essentially any post in here that is not in favor of his inclusion or arguing for the evidence of his inclusion is trolling or off-topic. See yourself out.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
So

it means his wings are small he should not have been able to fly by scientific reasoning much like a bee
He spits plasma from his mouth. Obviously, a process in his digestion separates out hydrogen to fill a gas sac somewhere in his body, also connected to his mouth opening, which contains another process functioning as an organic tokamak. The hydrogen functions to give his body buoyancy. It's not rocket surgery, people.

I do however hope none of you are cat people, for we have murdered several here.

Last edited:

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
Okay, I'm going to attempt to be civil with this uncontrollable mob that is the Ridley thread. Remember, most of this can be simply accounted as my opinion, but I believe they are rooted firmly in reality.

Of course since this is the Ridley thread and I'm arguing that Ridley's inclusion is unlikely, people who fire back with aggression that is infraction-worthy don't get touched.

That quote is a tease for Ridley's presence only on Pyrosphere, which would allude to him being a boss specifically. It wouldn't be a tease for his playability, hence, it doesn't really count as a "tease" in the realm of this discussion...over his playability.

The direct clip half-assedly counts as a tease simply because of all of the things people have determined from it by themselves, like his size being a "playable" size, or his movements being weird.

The rest is the community hyping themselves up. I've been a part of the MMORPG community for a very long time, and I've seen tens of high-profile MMORPG's come out with the expectation through the roof in every which way, only to watch the implosion post-release. It is literally dangerous to hype yourself up about something as much as people have about something you have very little way to prove except by waiting. It can certainly have severe affects on your psyche at worst, and at its most minimal will leave you feeling crappy for a little while, which is already too much when we're talking about a video game.

Don't group me in to someone else's opinion, because that is not why I disagree with Ridley's inclusion. I'm open to the idea that he, within all sense in reality, could be a playable character from a technical perspective. He just isn't. He wasn't picked. I believe he was picked as a stage boss, teased as such, and the community took the reigns and blew full steam ahead in to their own speculation because they like the character. I think that's illogical, and irrational, letting your emotions do the thinking. I'm never in favor of such a thing, emotions make terrible decisions. I've experienced that first-hand, both doing myself and being on the receiving end.

The amount that has been discussed is certainly impressive, I will give you that. People often undervalue the amount of actual, science-based discussion I offered during the "great shadow debate", or just aren't aware of it at all and let their first inclination to shun a detractor move their fingers over the keyboard. I determined from the PotD and the direct clip that his presence as playable was not made more likely due to the size of the model, and that the shadow was unreliable for gauging his size based.

I went through the motions. I provided a real argument, and the Ridley community threw my civil discussion down my throat. What do you think that does for the future of civil detractors discussion? I ruins it. Nobody wants to be civil about presenting arguments as to why the evidence does not stack up, because the Ridley community cannot be civil with detractors in the first place, thus it is deemed a waste of time, and the best option for making a point is then seen as being brash and aggressive, because otherwise you get steamrolled. It's an active topic and trying to present an argument against his inclusion should honestly be seen as courageous, as it's most likely they are going to wind up arguing their side by themselves versus the massive Ridley crowd.

This is nice, but it didn't need to happen in the first place if interpretation of Ridley's "teasing" was more rational and his play-ability wasn't so focused on. Just so you know, this is a character forum, meaning it's where we talk about playable characters. That means this is a 1.7k topic about his play ability. Not just fun in idolizing or adoring Ridley.

The idea isn't to troll anyone or crush someones dreams, it's trying to inject reality in to the situation. Why is it so wrong to discuss the subject from a perspective of reality instead of one drenched in a bit of blissful ignorance? I'm not saying people are ignorant, but much of the thought in this thread supporting him being playful can only be described as blissful ignorance, whether it's on purpose or not.

Here's the skinny. I'm totally fine with people supporting his inclusion. That's completely fine! People like a character, so they want him in. That's perfectly fine. It's when the community turns the finger on to Sakurai that I feel objection is necessary. When they blame him or put the obligation on him to provide something. They say that it's bad marketing for the game, or that Sakurai would have to be a dingbat to do what he's done with Ridley and not include him. That is not fine because you are forming baseless insults completely intertwined with your emotional vying for the Ridley. That is where I will come in and make it clear, that a lot of this thread is a fairy tale, in my opinion. It's fine to have fun, but when you start to insult the integrity of Sakurai and the games marketability because a character you want isn't getting the treatment you think it deserves, it passes over the "fun" borderline in to bitterness. A bitterness that affects everyone, even people who don't care about Ridley at all.

I don't know the specifics on development progress, obviously, so that clearly wasn't the main thing I wanted to point out. The point was to clarify that the direct clip was obviously choreographed and should not be held as a demonstration as to how he could be playable due to the nature of how he moved.

You see, people are using his lack of presence during the pre-release phase as evidence of his play-ability. They think that because he is not being shown, that means there's more to him. That is not sufficient evidence for anything, it's the opposite of evidence. It is a lack of evidence. The evidence for his inclusion on the roster is exactly as it is...bare and nearly non-existent. That's the reality.

You know, I will take my warning with dignity because I said some offensive, and I did it willingly and assertively. I deserved it.

However, it's likely that when I say "I told you so" it will be in the form of elegantly worded posts using logic and facts that are on the table, so it won't really be trolling.

In conclusion to everything, let's try to not to look at everything as trolling. Trolling would be me trying to cause chaos, and that isn't really what I'm intending to do, I'm just offering a contrasting opinion. I'm fully willing to debate with someone who can counter me validly, in a civil way, but first you have to understand just how sure I am of Ridley's status as a stage boss, and try not to get offended by that sheer rock-solid confidence.

Unless of course you want to tell me that essentially any post in here that is not in favor of his inclusion or arguing for the evidence of his inclusion is trolling or off-topic, in which case I will see myself out *shrug.
just curious of what you think about this question. why would ridley be teased as something he was in the last game? where is the hype in seeing the same thing in the last game being teased this game, but worse this time since its not a full on boss and just a stage hazard?

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'd prefer Brawley or Super Metroid Ridley to be in, but if it's Other M Ridley i'm fine. At least one of my most wanted will be playable!

D

Deleted member 245254

just curious of what you think about this question. why would ridley be teased as something he was in the last game? where is the hype in seeing the same thing in the last game being teased this game, but worse this time since its not a full on boss and just a stage hazard?
Have we ever seen a Ridley boss in full 1080p HD glorious-ness?

I don't think we have. Seems like something worth being excited about. Something you could hype and tease. The major questions are, what have they done with the model? How does it look?

You write all that
but you mess up *shrug*
YOU HAD ONE JOB
ONE JOB
?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Why do people even post in threads about characters they don't support? You will never see me posting in say, Bandana Dee's thread because it is a character I don't support and think it is unlikely to be in the game (I am pretending the leak is fake). Though I did post once there, but it wasn't to detract the character and the supporters, but to apologize for being too snarky over them.

I appreciate who tries to have a civil discussion about Ridley (or any other characters), but really, you're best discussing this in the Official Character Thread.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Warning Received

You know, I will take my warning with dignity because I said something offensive, and I did it willingly and assertively. I deserved it.

Don't feel like arguing, I'll just watch. :laugh:
http://i.imgur.com/NnoGhN1.gif
:laugh:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
"uncontrollable mob that is the Ridley thread" we just reply to you, its not like we're trying to hack into your personal data and throw ridley shaped bombs at your house.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Marvel, Galactus was downscaled in LEGO MARVEL so he could be playable... Beat that, toobigots! :grin:
Doesn't galactus supposedly is big enough to eat planets? then if he was scaled down to be playable then I don't see why Ridley or kraid cannot (keep in mind that there is a mini kraid and that I know that kraid will not be playable in smash).

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Have we ever seen a Ridley boss in full 1080p HD glorious-ness?

I don't think we have. Seems like something worth being excited about. Something you could hype and tease. The major questions are, what have they done with the model? How does it look?

?
Sakurai doesn't tease NPC's, only PC's.

Even if the animations weren't finished, he could have easily shown in a potd. Or even said really.

Top Bottom