• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
So after dealing with my first ridley detractor (im so proud of my minor achievement) i decided to final register and join my fellow ridley suporters. Im also new to thee smash boards so please go easy on me ;-;
WELCOME
RULES:
1. Don't double post
2. Don't drink the water
:chuckle:

Re4perWolf

Smash Rookie
Does anybody also think that one of ridley's taunts should be the stunned animation omega ridley had in prime 3? You know the one where he scratches the air in front of him.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Unrelated to leaks and Smash, but I was checking 4chan and this made me laugh out loud:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What water!!
One that can potentially induce one of these effects:
  1. Instant death
  2. Loss of scale perspective
  3. Selective ignorance
  4. Instant death
  5. Loss of common sense
  6. Inability to respond to questions
  7. Tendency to call people names
  8. Instant death
  9. Trollish attitude
  10. Instant death
So yeah, don't drink it. Have I told you it may induce instant death?

Does anybody also think that one of ridley's taunts should be the stunned animation omega ridley had in prime 3? You know the one where he scratches the air in front of him.

This one?

Re4perWolf

Smash Rookie
Unrelated to leaks and Smash, but I was checking 4chan and this made me laugh out loud:

Yes, we need a ridley pikmin. Thier special thing would be they could fly and grow twice thier size when thier leaf changes to a bud and bud to a flower.

1. Instant death
  3. Selective ignorance
  4. Instant death
  5. Loss of common sense
  8. Instant death
  9. Trollish attitude
  10. Instant death

This one?
Yes that one

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
  1. Instant death
  3. Selective ignorance
  4. Instant death
  5. Loss of common sense
  8. Instant death
  9. Trollish attitude
  10. Instant death
You forgot it may cause instant death too.

There's so many new people here lately, it's nice to see we are getting bigger while Ridley is getting smaller to fit in Smash.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
Been lurking for awhile and there's some thoughts I need to get off my chest. Please feel free to discuss and breathe some life into this thread. :happysheep:

At this point, if Ridley is not a playable character, it would not be a good business decision on Nintendo's part. Right now, Nintendo desperately needs to move Wii U units and it is very clear that Nintendo is doing its best to cater to Super Smash Bros. fans to sell more consoles. This is obvious by putting in fan character requests, hosting that E3 tournament, etc...

That being said, Ridley has been one of the most highly requested characters since way back from the Melee days and even mentioned directly to Sakurai from Nintendo Power. Not to mention, he has been in EVERY Smash Bros. game in one form or another. Furthermore, Nintendo seems to be keeping an eye on what's going on on the Internet. After all, they were quick to clarify Chrom's role in Robin's Final Smash just one day after Lucina and Robin's reveal trailer when some people were confused. Or even with Sakurai mentioning Samus's recently revealed alternative costumes were designed by a female with the controversy surrounding the "oversexualization" of Samus. But with Ridley, with all of the debate, trolling, flaming, etc. on multiple message boards, neither Sakurai nor Nintendo has said a damn thing.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if Nintendo is serious about catering to Super Smash Bros. fans to sell more Wii U units, it would be unwise to not have Ridley as a playable character. This is ESPECIALLY considering all of the festering Ridley debates, trolling, etc. that have been occuring for YEARS. Meanwhile, the only information we have on Ridley is that he was vaguely implied to show up in Pyrosphere in some fashion more than a year ago and then unclearly teased as a stage hazard four months ago without ever actually mentioning his name. After all of this, I would be astonished if Nintendo actually had the lack of common sense to make him a stage hazard.**

Don't get me wrong here. It's not like I'm saying that Ridley's (or any other character for that matter) inclusion or exclusion will have a huge impact on Smash Bros. Wii U and Wii U console sales. What I am saying is that if Nintendo is serious about trying to cater to the Smash Bros. fans (and not just some of them) to drive sales, it would follow that Ridley would be a playable character. It's not any different than characters like :4megaman:, :4littlemac:, etc.

**Note that I am talking about Nintendo here, not Sakurai. Don't misunderstand me. There's no doubt that Sakurai is a genius and has created this wonderful game series we call Smash Bros. However, I could easily see Sakurai making Ridley a stage hazard, mainly because Sakuari seems to have demonstrated a lack of experience with the Metroid series in the last few iterations of Smash Bros.*** He has also demonstrated a disconnection with what most people enjoy about Smash Bros.**** Even though Sakurai doesn't directly work for Nintendo anymore, he still needs to listen to what Nintendo has to say about fan requests. It's difficult for me to imagine Nintendo saying "Ridley's a stage hazard, huh? Oh, that highly-requested character that has been the subject of much Internet debate over the last several years. Yeah, that's cool." It just doesn't make sense.

****What I am talking about specifically in this case are things like having spent 60% of Brawl's production time on the Subspace Emissary instead of focusing on the multi-player modes and balancing the characters... Adding tripping, etc. All of that is just unnecessarily annoying, whether you are a casual player or a hardcore "tournament" style player. I'm glad to see that Sakurai seems to be taking the multi-player modes more seriously this time.

***One of the indicators of Sakurai's unfamiliarity with the Metroid series is having rising lava/acid or rotation on EVERY Metroid stage in the series. But in the Metroid games, Samus has to traverse many different environments. Frozen areas, swamps, underwater areas, abandoned spaceships, the "dark half" of a planet, mines filled with radioactive material, many different kinds of alien environments, etc. But yet it's always lava/acid or part of a spaceship that keeps flipping around. And as far as the rotation, as one that has played every Metroid game, I don't recall ANY sort of rotation anywhere in any Metroid game... (except for those Spinner devices in the Prime games...) However, with the recent addition of the Mother Brain and Dark Samus assist trophies, as well as the Fusion and Zero Mission ending alternative costumes for Zero Suit Samus, I'm just going to optimistically think that Sakurai has educated himself on (or played all or most of) the Metroid series between Brawl and now. If he has, maybe he'll finally understand Ridley as a frequently reoccuring villian as well has his deep connection with Samus in the Metroid storyline. Then hopefully he'll better understand the reasoning behind Ridley's fans' desire to see him in Smash as a playable character. If not, and he tried to make Ridley a stage hazard, perhaps Nintendo might have set him straight.

Only time will tell if Ridley will be in the playable roster, and luckily we're down to only less than a month at this point.

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Been lurking for awhile and there's some thoughts I need to get off my chest. Please feel free to discuss and breathe some life into this thread. :happysheep:

At this point, if Ridley is not a playable character, it would not be a good business decision on Nintendo's part. Right now, Nintendo desperately needs to move Wii U units and it is very clear that Nintendo is doing its best to cater to Super Smash Bros. fans to sell more consoles. This is obvious by putting in fan character requests, hosting that E3 tournament, etc...

That being said, Ridley has been one of the most highly requested characters since way back from the Melee days and even mentioned directly to Sakurai from Nintendo Power. Not to mention, he has been in EVERY Smash Bros. game in one form or another. Furthermore, Nintendo seems to be keeping an eye on what's going on on the Internet. After all, they were quick to clarify Chrom's role in Robin's Final Smash just one day after Lucina and Robin's reveal trailer when some people were confused. Or even with Sakurai mentioning Samus's recently revealed alternative costumes were designed by a female with the controversy surrounding the "oversexualization" of Samus. But with Ridley, with all of the debate, trolling, flaming, etc. on multiple message boards, neither Sakurai nor Nintendo has said a damn thing.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if Nintendo is serious about catering to Super Smash Bros. fans to sell more Wii U units, it would be unwise to not have Ridley as a playable character. This is ESPECIALLY considering all of the festering Ridley debates, trolling, etc. that have been occuring for YEARS. Meanwhile, the only information we have on Ridley is that he was vaguely implied to show up in Pyrosphere in some fashion more than a year ago and then unclearly teased as a stage hazard four months ago without ever actually mentioning his name. After all of this, I would be astonished if Nintendo actually had the lack of common sense to make him a stage hazard.**

Don't get me wrong here. It's not like I'm saying that Ridley's (or any other character for that matter) inclusion or exclusion will have a huge impact on Smash Bros. Wii U and Wii U console sales. What I am saying is that if Nintendo is serious about trying to cater to the Smash Bros. fans (and not just some of them) to drive sales, it would follow that Ridley would be a playable character. It's not any different than characters like :4megaman:, :4littlemac:, etc.

**Note that I am talking about Nintendo here, not Sakurai. Don't misunderstand me. There's no doubt that Sakurai is a genius and has created this wonderful game series we call Smash Bros. However, I could easily see Sakurai making Ridley a stage hazard, mainly because Sakuari seems to have demonstrated a lack of experience with the Metroid series in the last few iterations of Smash Bros.*** He has also demonstrated a disconnection with what most people enjoy about Smash Bros.**** Even though Sakurai doesn't directly work for Nintendo anymore, he still needs to listen to what Nintendo has to say about fan requests. It's difficult for me to imagine Nintendo saying "Ridley's a stage hazard, huh? Oh, that highly-requested character that has been the subject of much Internet debate over the last several years. Yeah, that's cool." It just doesn't make sense.

****What I am talking about specifically in this case are things like having spent 60% of Brawl's production time on the Subspace Emissary instead of focusing on the multi-player modes and balancing the characters... Adding tripping, etc. All of that is just unnecessarily annoying, whether you are a casual player or a hardcore "tournament" style player. I'm glad to see that Sakurai seems to be taking the multi-player modes more seriously this time.

***One of the indicators of Sakurai's unfamiliarity with the Metroid series is having rising lava/acid or rotation on EVERY Metroid stage in the series. But in the Metroid games, Samus has to traverse many different environments. Frozen areas, swamps, underwater areas, abandoned spaceships, the "dark half" of a planet, mines filled with radioactive material, many different kinds of alien environments, etc. But yet it's always lava/acid or part of a spaceship that keeps flipping around. And as far as the rotation, as one that has played every Metroid game, I don't recall ANY sort of rotation anywhere in any Metroid game... (except for those Spinner devices in the Prime games...) However, with the recent addition of the Mother Brain and Dark Samus assist trophies, as well as the Fusion and Zero Mission ending alternative costumes for Zero Suit Samus, I'm just going to optimistically think that Sakurai has educated himself on (or played all or most of) the Metroid series between Brawl and now. If he has, maybe he'll finally understand Ridley as a frequently reoccuring villian as well has his deep connection with Samus in the Metroid storyline. Then hopefully he'll better understand the reasoning behind Ridley's fans' desire to see him in Smash as a playable character. If not, and he tried to make Ridley a stage hazard, perhaps Nintendo might have set him straight.

Only time will tell if Ridley will be in the playable roster, and luckily we're down to only less than a month at this point.
You have the biggest point I have seen so far

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
  1. Instant death
  3. Selective ignorance
  4. Instant death
  5. Loss of common sense
  8. Instant death
  9. Trollish attitude
  10. Instant death

This one?
I love retsupurae, I wonder how they would feel if Ridley was playable.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
CCD23 speaks very much the truth.

Also, I think the thought that with all the stage reveals lately, that Ridley as a boss wasnt mentioned or shown yet obviously points toward that he is not in fact a stage hazard. Infact, that we havent heard alot about Ridley at all since his initial tease is probably the best proof that he will be a playable character.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

Seriously, that was one of the best and most well thought out arguments I have ever seen. Well done, you have my respect forever.

Last edited:

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet

I've always shared this line of thought, but haven't been able to put it into words as well as you have just now :laugh:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
CCD23 speaks very much the truth.

Also, I think the thought that with all the stage reveals lately, that Ridley as a boss wasnt mentioned or shown yet obviously points toward that he is not in fact a stage hazard. Infact, that we havent heard alot about Ridley at all since his initial tease is probably the best proof that he will be a playable character.
Yes this is completely true

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

That's one of the best reasons I've ever heard for why Ridley should come.
Anyway, welcome to Smashboards!
(Promise me you won't drink the water :laugh: )

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
To follow up on CCD23´s sales argument:

If Ridley (my absolute favorite Nintendo character, Ive been a fan of him for many many years) will be playable or not will infact be the deciding factor for me, regarding if I will pick up a console only to play Smash 4 (be it Wii U or 3Ds). Right now, I dont really see much reason to pick up Smash 4, because first of all, I think most of the other newcomers are very uninteresting, expecially compared to what Brawl has to offer, and that I play Brawl on a PC with mods, meaning I basically have every character I could possibly want, including (a rather lackluster) Ridley, in Brawl already.

So unless Ridley is playable, I wont pick up Smash 4 at all and at most will play it in a decade when an emulator can run it properly. If Ridley is playable, I will considere getting a Wii U only for Smash 4.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0266.JPG

This is what would happen if Roidley used the Tanooki leaf....and if you wonder where is Ridley, he decided to remain hidden....because of shame...

Last edited:

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet

Good point.

However last time (brawl) i made exactly the same point here in the forum.
But still the roster failed hard.

Lets see, maybe this time the roster holds something big enough interesting ..

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
If ridley is in as his other M incarnation, do you think that perhaps instead of no alternate costume they just graft meta ridley onto his anatomy and such and make a Meta-Roidley?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

As many have already said, this is an excellent and well put together post. So, kudos.

One additional thing worth mentioning that you briefly touched on is how Sakurai and Nintendo have been very clear about disconfirming characters. Obviously, they went out of their way to clarify that Chrom was not playable after Robin's trailer, and so far pretty much every disconfirmation has been pretty clear and to the point. That is, except for Ridley, who has been teased for over a year now with no official word on what his role in the game is. As such, many still hold hope that he will be playable. So not only would not making Ridley playable be an unwise decision simply because of who Ridley is, but also because they've been building up Ridley's appearance in this game for so long now, to the point where it demands a huge payoff. A simple boss is not the kind of payoff they need, and would result in a year's worth of build-up being near worthless. It is such an unwise decision on so many levels, that one has to wonder if they would really make such a poor decision to begin with.

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
But then again, was the Wii failing during the Brawl age?
I absolutly didnt care about the Wii itself, the only reason i bought it was brawl.
WiiU sale sucks really so hard?

If ridley is in as his other M incarnation, do you think that perhaps instead of no alternate costume they just graft meta ridley onto his anatomy and such and make a Meta-Roidley?
Its completely possible that we are going to see two different "versions" of ridley in the game. For example other M as Boss and good ol original Ridley oO as playable.
The reason therefore is simple: Brawl had two Ridleys already.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Its completely possible that we are going to see two different "versions" of ridley in the game. For example other M as Boss and good ol original Ridley oO as playable.
Other way around is much more likely. Reasoning: Other M is closer to an existing character's proportions and thus easier to implement if needs must. Read that as "Roidley can be presented as a semi-clone of Donkey Kong if pressed for time."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Compared to other consoles, pretty much yes.
It's actually selling better than Xbox One after MK8's release. Still, other than the 3DS and PS4 this console generation is pretty abysmal so far in terms of sales, and it'll only get worse once the latter loses its momentum.

Top Bottom