• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark Pit was shown off in Palutena's trailer and has never been mentioned since. And honestly, I could see Soccer eye creating hype for Ridley and then deflating it when the game comes out in Japan and he's not in it. Granted, I hope that's not the case, but Sakurai hasn't unveiled any villains at all.

No, Robin is not a villain.
Ahem..Bowser and King Dedede. The lack of villains does make me think a villains trailer is a possibility

D

Deleted member

It's been confirmed that it's only the characters and stages (I think; I don't remember if stages would be shown) we currently know about would be discussed.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Did anyone seriously ever want Jigglypuff in smash bros? I've seen so many funny comics of smash characters telling Jiggly not to come back and then beating her to a bloody pulp.
It's really just the fact that she's been there since the start.

I dunno, having a Smash game without Jigglypuff would be weird. I mean, she IS the series's Lethal Joke Character.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Sometimes I just read this thread and cringe at some of the points made...

But there are still good points here, too.

Please keep in mind that
Your argument here is invalid.

Mewtwo is actually the most requested vet, while Ridley is the most requested newcomer. I need to put that out there. Also Mewtwo has no gender (I originally put he has no sex, but yeah, you see why that left the post), so he cannot be the most requested male newcomer (before anyone calls anybody out on that).

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Hopefully there will be more Metroid content shown in the coming days.

AP stands for Arlong Park, a One Piece forum and there is a user who has the same username as yours.
Ah. No that's not me.

Also...Despite the dud for today's hopes for something Metroid I still have high hopes we'll learn something soon.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
It's been confirmed that it's only the characters and stages (I think; I don't remember if stages would be shown) we currently know about would be discussed.
Is it still just for the 3DS or is it everything?

The place I get this information was very vague on this so I never got this cleared up...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well whatever the case is, if Pyrosphere is mention with a hazardless Ridley or with little to no info at all, then Rids might really be confirmed.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
(DISCLAIMER: As I was posting this here, I noticed another person did before me with the same idea. He didn't provide the full story, so allow me to explain)

Alright, just posted this to the Krystal thread a couple of hours ago, and I was suggested to post it here. It's some good food for thought for the Ridley supporters---you'll see why (in a good way, actually).

Firstly, this was a response to someone's idea on the Krystal thread regarding a Krystal/Ridley co-reveal. I needed to get that out of the way so you can understand the context without me having to dig up an unnecessary amount of quotes.

Secondly, this first quote has been edited slightly to better fit the theme of this thread. You can thank me later. Yes, I support Ridley---I think it's high time he becomes playable.

Thirdly, I didn't have to go out of my way to share this theory with you guys. You can still make of it what you will, though---I won't stop you. I only, perhaps feebly (if the legends of this thread are true) suggest you to broaden your perspective---this one time, at least---in order to understand where I'm coming from.

Forth, this is only a theory. As all theories go, this could be completely wrong. I know this. Thus, I cannot be "grasping" because I'm not treating it as some kind "ultimate truth".

Geez, that's a lot of disclaimers...

I can back the [Krystal/Ridley idea] co-reveal with a theory---an interesting one, at that. Not evidence, but a theory.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30357/rumored-star-foxmetroid-crossover-put-to-rest

Remember that rumor of a Star Fox/Metroid crossover that Retro was working on in the year 2012? Well, it was "apparently" shot down. People spread the rumor pertaining to a game, which was false. In the end, everyone thought that the secret project was instead Tropical Freeze.

Let me ask you though: Is Tropical Freeze really a "secret project", especially after previously working on a title from the same franchise?

One quote from this interview, only now in retrospect, seems to stand out:

"The idea of Star Fox and Metroid crossing paths in a more unified Nintendo universe represented but one of several potential team-up projects that Nintendo has been considering.”

Note, this wasn't "just" rumored, but actually considered by Nintendo themselves, according to Paul Gale's (the guy who presented the rumor to the public, not the guy who wrote the article) trusted source. The article's title is misleading.

Short recap, so far: Nintendo considering crossing franchise paths, back in 2012, in a "more unified Nintendo universe".

This "more unified Nintendo universe" sounds a lot like Smash Brothers, at least to me. I consider it outlandish for Nintendo to suddenly consider mixing and mashing their franchises together out of the blue just for creating games.

Fast-forward to today: Look at the Smash Brothers trailers---some cross paths with their Franchises. Examples: Fire Emblem/F-Zero, Zelda/Kid Icarus, etc.

Point: What if the "secret project" from Retro Studios is a Smash Brothers newcomer trailer?

Back then, everyone thought the rumor was about a game, which allowed Retro to put the rumor to rest without effectively lying (even if they were really working on the crossover---as a trailer). Instead, it could be a trailer they made a while back that Sakurai keeps in his "stash", and under that definition, it wouldn't be a game.

Here is an actual piece of evidence to back this possibility:

In that quote, it states that it would be "one of the potential team-up projects that Nintendo has been considering." Sakurai and his team have already teamed up with other studios to make newcomer trailers. A few prime examples:

1. Little Mac's trailer.
  2. Palutena's trailer.
  3. Robin/Lucina's trailer.

On to the possibility of Ridley:

Firstly, there's an interesting theory floating around regarding Krystal being the next character to be revealed. I will provide this theory after this edited quote for you to see---trust me, it's not solely about Krystal. The Retro Studious theory could make this other theory relevant to Ridley---and it's the only reason why I'm mentioning Krystal in this thread.

When it comes to other, more-teased characters, there is only one that I can think of who has never directly been mentioned by Sakurai, only teased (and teased for quite a while, might I add): Ridley.

So, how possible is this franchise crossover to happen in a Sm4sh newcomer trailer? I honestly don't know.

All I will say is that it certainly would add up nicely, especially since 2012 was the year that focused on making the roster for the new Smash Brothers game. Of course, nobody probably would have tied this into that because Smash wasn't even revealed at E3 yet (going by the date of the article).

It also makes sense, time-wise, as it's almost time to release the game in Japan---it would create unfathomable hype. Besides, Ridley was arguably "the King" of pre-Brawl era popular characters (he still is "the King" for pre-Sm4sh popularity), while Krystal was arguably "the Queen" (who now is somewhat a shadow of her former self). This paragraph was self-analysis---just extra thoughts of mine that aren't physically derived from the article, rather hypothetically.

Seeing the quality that Retro can dish out---and that their name would make sense to use Star Fox and Metroid---it could work for something like this to be their "secret project".

It's a lot to take in, but only time will tell.
After hearing tales of the reputation of this thread, I'm going to brace myself for the possibility that some people stormed off in rage (at the mention of Krystal, who actually isn't the focus of this post) or just simply disregarded this post before even getting to the quote---which would be unfortunate. If you made it this far, I applaud you.

The only reason why I've decided to go through with this post---including the only reason why I would dare mention Krystal on this thread---is this theory's potential tie-in with this other theory that has been floating around:

I've noticed a pattern, As far as the Newcomers we've seen who are from an already represented franchise in smash, they've had a stage from their franchise be partially revealed when it was initially shown in the Pic of the day, then it would be followed up with a more in depth look at their stage in a later Pic of the Day.[collapse=Rosalina]
[collapse=PotD September 9, 2013]This is our first look at the Super Mario Galaxy stage. Not much to see but Kirby and the background.
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD November 14, 2013]a more in depth look at the Super Mario Galaxy stage
[/collapse]Rolalina was revealed in the December Nintendo Direct.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Greninja]
[collapse=PotD March 11, 2014]This is our first look at Lumiose city. We don't even see any platforms.
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD March 28, 2014] Now we see the the platforms and conclude that this must be a moving stage.
[/collapse]Greninja is revealed in the April direct.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Palutena][collapse=PotD January 29, 2014]Here we first see the background of the Kid Icarus stage on the Wii U
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD April 30, 2014]Now we see the statue again, but with a platform.
[/collapse]Palutena is revealed during E3
[/collapse]
[collapse=Robin][collapse=PotD June 6, 2014]the first appearance of the Fire emblem stage on the Wii U.
[/collapse]I suppose you could say that we got a better look at the Fire Emblem stage during the E3 demo of the game.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Krystal][collapse=PotD July 21, 2014]It's hard to make out whether the Great Fox is the stage or if there will be a platform in front of it.
[/collapse]We are waiting for another more in depth reveal of the Starfox stage followed up by a Starfox newcomer.[/collapse]
Sure, this second theory sounds strange---otherworldly, even (especially when tied with the first theory). However, I'd like to add that it is potentially a pattern that has yet to be broken. I wouldn't suggest bringing up the "stage relevancy to character" argument either---Greninja didn't have any specific association with Prism Tower, and Robin/Lucina didn't have any specific association with the Coliseum, et. al.

In other words, this would be more of a general pattern rather than a specific one---in that, specificity wouldn't matter. Again, only time will tell.

Hopefully a few of you were able to see why I posted this---I did it out of my kinder nature, and in interest of sharing ideas with other human beings. I only wanted to bring what could be viewed as "good tidings".

In the end, there will be those inevitable few who will say "Sakurai is unpredictable, therefore there cannot be any so-called patterns". I respect this thought. Wholeheartedly. This post was just a suggestion to talk about something fresh---something potentially not talked about among the Ridley supporters (perhaps this could temporarily break the "detractor's paradise" [nah, that's wishful thinking]). I'm not referring to Krystal, either.

I can also understand if you don't feel like taking me seriously---after all, this is the internet. To each their own, eh?

Also, since this will be my only post here, I feel like I need to provide my input for the painfully arduous, so-called "Ridley debate":

"Size doesn't matter---scaling characters is absolutely possible with the technology we have. Also, if you have something against him [Ridley], take your beef up with Sakurai. See how far it gets you." -Me

I now take my leave. Anything that happens with this post will be considered "Gone with the Wind", unless it sparks interest in some people.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0258 - Copy.JPG

Well...it took me a while to draw Assassin Ridley again...but here it is!

D

Deleted member

Well whatever the case is, if Pyrosphere is mention with a hazardless Ridley or with little to no info at all, then Rids might really be confirmed.
As I said earlier in the thread:
If CoroCoro only does information about stages that we already know, then they'll say all the information about Pyrosphere that we know about the stage and not mention anything about Ridley other than relaying that Ridley is rumored to be on it.

(DISCLAIMER: As I was posting this here, I noticed another person did before me with the same idea. He didn't provide the full story, so allow me to explain)

Alright, just posted this to the Krystal thread a couple of hours ago, and I was suggested to post it here. It's some good food for thought for the Ridley supporters---you'll see why (in a good way, actually).

Firstly, this was a response to someone's idea on the Krystal thread regarding a Krystal/Ridley co-reveal. I needed to get that out of the way so you can understand the context without me having to dig up an unnecessary amount of quotes.

Secondly, this first quote has been edited slightly to better fit the theme of this thread. You can thank me later. Yes, I support Ridley---I think it's high time he becomes playable.

Thirdly, I didn't have to go out of my way to share this theory with you guys. You can still make of it what you will, though---I won't stop you. I only, perhaps feebly (if the legends of this thread are true) suggest you to broaden your perspective---this one time, at least---in order to understand where I'm coming from.

Forth, this is only a theory. As all theories go, this could be completely wrong. I know this. Thus, I cannot be "grasping" because I'm not treating it as some kind "ultimate truth".

After hearing tales of the reputation of this thread, I'm going to brace myself for the possibility that some people stormed off in rage (at the mention of Krystal, who actually isn't the focus of this post) or just simply disregarded this post before even getting to the quote---which would be unfortunate. If you made it this far, I applaud you.

The only reason why I've decided to go through with this post---including the only reason why I would dare mention Krystal on this thread---is this theory's potential tie-in with this other theory that has been floating around:

Sure, this second theory sounds strange---otherworldly, even (especially when tied with the first theory). However, I'd like to add that it is potentially a pattern that has yet to be broken. I wouldn't suggest bringing up the "stage relevancy to character" argument either---Greninja didn't have any specific association with Prism Tower, and Robin/Lucina didn't have any specific association with the Coliseum, et. al.

In other words, this would be more of a general pattern rather than a specific one---in that, specificity wouldn't matter. Again, only time will tell.

Hopefully a few of you were able to see why I posted this---I did it out of my kinder nature, and in interest of sharing ideas with other human beings. I only wanted to bring what could be viewed as "good tidings".

In the end, there will be those inevitable few who will say "Sakurai is unpredictable, therefore there cannot be any so-called patterns". I respect this thought. Wholeheartedly. This post was just a suggestion to talk about something fresh---something potentially not talked about among the Ridley supporters (perhaps this could temporarily break the "detractor's paradise" [nah, that's wishful thinking]). I'm not referring to Krystal, either.

I can also understand if you don't feel like taking me seriously---after all, this is the internet. To each their own, eh?

Also, since this will be my only post here, I feel like I need to provide my input for the painfully arduous, so-called "Ridley debate":

"Size doesn't matter---scaling characters is absolutely possible with the technology we have. Also, if you have something against him [Ridley], take your beef up with Sakurai. See how far it gets you." -Me

I now take my leave. Anything that happens with this post will be considered "Gone with the Wind", unless it sparks interest in some people.
Well written if u r still here. Krystal is high on my list of expected out of the blue newcomers and the theory makes some sense ( it is definitely a stretch but we will see) if it helps the coliseum is the first time u fight lucina so it does have some significance to the characters. Also the whole space themed reveal would follow the robin reveal. 1 vet (wolf or falco) and 2 newcomers. Rid and krystal. Thank u for bringing this here because we need more to discuss anyway
Edit btw that strawpoll from earlier had much better results than expected and reddit is having an intelligent discussion on the matter. The social topic outright shot it down and joked about it quite rudely

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine

Well thanks for adding the full story it's appreciated

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I did read the whole thing (before you go lashing out at me for my semi-immature response). The entire thing, trust me.

As I read this I was thinking of this

I don't know, that's what the whole "Unified Nintendo Universe" thing reminded me of. I know it was just a cameo.

Yes, I think a Star Fox x Metroid (totally not a shipping) Game would be quite enjoyable. There's a lot they could do there. My only problem I see is one is essentially Space-People vs Space-Aliens and the other is essentially Space-Animals vs Space-Animals. They could still make it work.

Interesting theory. :)

Last edited:

iiPandie

Smash Rookie
A Krystal x Ridley reveal trailer would be so cool. c: It could start off in space, where Falco is riding in his arwing. ~Insert splashart~ Then all of a sudden Slippy and Peppy act all bananaz (xD) and tell Falco a scary powerful creature is coming, ~Insert some dramatic scenes~ Then Ridley shows up out of nowhere and beats Falco's arwing to a pulp. ~Insert splashart for Ridley~ Then Krystal all of a sudden comes flying at them and jumps out of her ship and lands on Ridley. ~Insert Krystal's splashart~ And she says: "THIS WILL HURT" And then it flashes and shows a tiny bit of moveset showcase for the 2 new characters. That would be my trailer idea. c:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
To TheRandomCities4 comment, as I just joined this forum quite recently, I can see where the "Krystal Discussion" worry in your comment might cause people to go "a bit on a tangent", but I don't think you have to take that so close to heart. Just state your thought about a topic (as long as it relates to Ridley) and don't be afraid to speak your thoughts.

As I said earlier in the thread:
Yeah, I could see that happening.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I did read the whole thing (before you go lashing out at me for my semi-immature response). The entire thing, trust me.

As I read this I was thinking of this

I don't know, that's what the whole "Unified Nintendo Universe" thing reminded me of. I know it was just a cameo.
Yes, I think a Star Fox x Metroid (totally not a shipping) Game would be quite enjoyable. There's a lot they could do there. My only problem I see is one is essentially Space-People vs Space-Aliens and the other is essentially Space-Animals vs Space-Animals. They could still make it work.

Interesting theory. :)
So we have Metroid to Kirby (Cameos above) to Link ("Evil" Kirby in Link's Awakening) to Mario (the bountiful LoZ refrences/cameos in Mario games) to Donkey Kong (pretty obvious) and back to Metroid (Samus' gunship in tropical freeze).
Gosh dang, this Unified Nintendo Universe be legit.

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
A Krystal x Ridley reveal trailer would be so cool. c: It could start off in space, where Falco is riding in his arwing. ~Insert splashart~ Then all of a sudden Slippy and Peppy act all bananaz (xD) and tell Falco a scary powerful creature is coming, ~Insert some dramatic scenes~ Then Ridley shows up out of nowhere and beats Falco's arwing to a pulp. ~Insert splashart for Ridley~ Then Krystal all of a sudden comes flying at them and jumps out of her ship and lands on Ridley. ~Insert Krystal's splashart~ And she says: "THIS WILL HURT" And then it flashes and shows a tiny bit of moveset showcase for the 2 new characters. That would be my trailer idea. c:
Well cool idea I like it however maybe the two theories could tie in with pyrosphere (since its part of a space station)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Okay guys, back to Ridley. Krystal has her own thread, this isn't the Ridley x Krystal thread. There's a good chance IsmaR can get you for off topic even though a lot of them had Ridley, but I see where this is going. This is going to turn into a debate about Krystal gets in or not. Take it to the Krystal thread or PMs if you have gripes with Krystal. Just a heads up and a redirect to Ridley.

Thank you for your time.

iiPandie

Smash Rookie
Well cool idea I like it however maybe the two theories could tie in with pyrosphere (since its part of a space station)
Yeah! That's a great theory. The pyrosphere helps support Ridley and maybe that newish star fox stage Sakurai revealed could help support Krystal. I have a theory where a stage that supports a character strongly Sakurai shows always relates to a newcomer. Rosalina: The Galaxy stage Little Mac: The boxing ring Palutena: Her temple place o.o Ridley: Possibly Pyrosphere Krystal: Possibly the new star fox stage we don't know much about.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Okay guys, back to Ridley. Krystal has her own thread, this isn't the Ridley x Krystal thread. There's a good chance IsmaR can get you for off topic even though a lot of them had Ridley, but I see where this is going. This is going to turn into a debate about Krystal gets in or not. Take it to the Krystal thread or PMs if you have gripes with Krystal. Just a heads up and a redirect to Ridley.

Thank you for your time.
*claps*
Indeed, back to the Purple Space Dragon who's controversy is taking up a Big fraction of our time.
...AlsoJigglypuff

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So we have Metroid to Kirby (Cameos above) to Link ("Evil" Kirby in Link's Awakening) to Mario (the bountiful LoZ refrences/cameos in Mario games) to Donkey Kong (pretty obvious) and back to Metroid (Samus' gunship in tropical freeze).
Gosh dang, this Unified Nintendo Universe be legit.
It doesn't end there.

I know I'm just as guilty, but we must go back to Ridley now.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Man it involves

Thank you for your time.
Well it involves ridley so as long as it isnt another full character thread where fine

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Warning Received
Hey look guys basically ridley is a real important factor to the krystal thread im not saying turn this into it (because please keep making your theories on ridley) but basically if e
Ridley gets added our krystal has a better chance of making it.

I'm not going to quote IsmaR and drag her into this, but here's a screencap.

Ok ok ill stop well the mods are still better then super-gaming....

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@ TheRandomCities4 TheRandomCities4

I'm not gonna yell at you for mentioning Krystal, but with the talk of a Metroid Starfox crossover, it feels more likely to me that Ridley would be revealed with Falco. It's fitting, imo.

Hey look guys basically ridley is a real important factor to the krystal thread im not saying turn this into it (because please keep making your theories on ridley) but basically if e
this is just ******** lol

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well for your sake, I hope for the best.

As for Ridley... who thinks if Coro Coro mentions Pyrosphere, Sakurai's gonna find a way to :troll: his way around Ridley and still make him seem like a SH?

=EDIT=

Ok ok ill stop well the mods are still better then super-gaming....
That's find and all, just keep from double posting or you'll get in trouble.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You know what else would help?
If we hush-hush about Krystal for the most part, and the Krystal thread hush-hush's about Ridley for the most part.
We don't want to go off-topic as to talking about a completely seperate character in a Specific Character thread.
To each their own, and back to purple dragons.
----------
...I dunno if anyone else has said this, but METROID 3DS/WII U HYPE

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
You know what else would help?
If we hush-hush about Krystal for the most part, and the Krystal thread hush-hush's about Ridley for the most part.
We don't want to go off-topic as to talking about a completely seperate character in a Specific Character thread.
To each their own, and back to purple dragons.
----------
...I dunno if anyone else has said this, but METROID 3DS/WII U HYPE
Ok then lets stfu

Top Bottom