• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
I'm surprise this thread has managed to be one of the biggest topics here in this part of the forums. Guess we have hardcore Ridley fans to the max.

Ridley's chances to be a playable character is about 50/50 at this point, somewhat leaning towards playable with all the hints we have discovered and analyzed. Ridley was one of the characters I wanted playable in Brawl, but he might have a chance here.

I mean, Ridley hasn't been mentioned by Sakurai, he didn't appear fully in the direct, Sakurai's trolling, and the size of the shadow, not to mention the pyrosphere not appearing in the demo at E3, it just screams "PLAYABLE!" to me, but I don't want to admit it yet without concrete evidence. Something smells fishy about this too.

Anyways I will observe this topic and make post when necessary. I wish for the best for our villainous dragon to become playable in this game.

Later.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Actually, in regards to the Miis in the Digital Event, I believe I read that the people that some of the Miis shown were based on (Lincoln, for example) were chosen because Sakurai saw requests for those people on Miiverse.

If Sakurai was able to notice requests for Lincoln on Miiverse, there's no way he doesn't know about the requests for Ridley. He very well may even know about the extreme controversy surrounding Ridley.
Haha, that's basically what I was saying. Sakurai knows what's up in the fanbase, as judged by the Pseudo-Palutena fakeout during the Smash Direct and then the various 'confirMiitions' during the Digital Event, and even including the not-really-popular-or-well-known-in-Japan Little Mac, so he is more than well-aware of Ridley and Ridley's popularity and Ridley's fanbase. He is not the type of person who would string us along like this, for this long, just for this one character where he hasn't done it for anybody else except the now-confirmed Palutena,

only to tell us he's not playable. No, that's not how Sakurai rolls, and it would be out-of-character for what we know of his personality and downright mean if that's the end result, and I refuse to believe that he would do that, so I'm remaining optimistic, and for me, Ridley is in. :cool:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sadly the concrete evidence we do have doesn't really indicate playability or bossability, it's just information which would be better suited to playability than being a boss. Which doesn't exactly confirm anything. BUT we'll take what we can get. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Haha, that's basically what I was saying. Sakurai knows what's up in the fanbase, as judged by the Pseudo-Palutena fakeout during the Smash Direct and then the various 'confirMiitions' during the Digital Event, and even including the not-really-popular-or-well-known-in-Japan Little Mac, so he is more than well-aware of Ridley and Ridley's popularity and Ridley's fanbase. He is not the type of person who would string us along like this, for this long, just for this one character where he hasn't done it for anybody else except the now-confirmed Palutena,

only to tell us he's not playable. No, that's not how Sakurai rolls, and it would be out-of-character for what we know of his personality and downright mean if that's the end result, and I refuse to believe that he would do that, so I'm remaining optimistic, and for me, Ridley is in. :cool:
Never say never, sure, there is no plausible precedent to indicate that he would do such a repugnant thing to us poor Ridley fans; however, it is always a possibility.

Ascended

Smash Ace
If I may speak in a manner fitting of my avatar, "Don't look at why Sakurai didn't show Ridley, look at why he COULDN'T show Ridley."

(This is just a quirky way of me saying that I also believe the British Space Pirate Dragon to be playable.)

Morbi

Scavenger
If I may speak in a manner fitting of my avatar, "Don't look at why Sakurai didn't show Ridley, look at why he COULDN'T show Ridley."

(This is just a quirky way of me saying that I also believe the British Space Pirate Dragon to be playable.)
Why could he not show Ridley? It seems like the same notion; however, I could just be generalizing or something.

D

Deleted member

...I missed a lot.
If anything, all you missed was the huge wave of disappointment and frustration after no Ridley reveal at E3 and then the thread's gradual return to its normal state involving the speculation of Ridley and discussion of his chances.

Morbi

Scavenger
If anything, all you missed was the huge wave of disappointment and frustration after no Ridley reveal at E3 and then the thread's gradual return to its normal state involving the speculation of Ridley and discussion of his chances.
Perhaps he wants to read the desperation and laugh at it in hind-sight?

D

Deleted member

Be glad you did. I wish I could miss a lot until the day Ridley is announced.
Now would be one of those times I would like to experience a coma and wake up on the day that Ridley's fate is revealed.

Smash Rookie
Be glad you did. I wish I could miss a lot until the day Ridley is announced.
Oh.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Or perhaps he wants to read everything we say and spy on us and learn where we live and do the evil things men of underscore do.
It has to be for a creepy reason because of that Espurr avatar.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Welcome back to the front of the Ridley Pain Train. : D
I actually think it's a quite pleasant ride. Our collective debating fuels the train and despite a few bumps and derails along the way, it's been mostly an enjoyable ride.

@Morbid: Oh, of course, you can never truly rule out anything. However, for me personally, I don't see why it would be Ridley, the most requested newcomer currently not in the game, that he choose to cruelly lead people on about when he didn't in Brawl and just revealed the only other character that he's given the same treatment as he has Ridley, that being Palutena, who comes second in terms of how trolley Sakurai had been in regards to "is she in or is she not?" prior to her reveal this week.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The only reason I hang around is that I'm a masochist for disappointment.

Though I'm gonna be honest, if I didn't think Ridley was playable, I would have left LONG ago.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If I didn't think Ridley was playable I would have never come anywhere near this place after what happened LAST time. :awesome:

But I'm sticking around since I'm extremely confident that this is Ridley's game, and I want to be here to see it.

EDIT: I don't have a soul either. The burdens of having red hair. :troll: Jokes aside, yeh. Ridley's announcement will be the most absurd thing to ever happen to this thread, even counting the time it was shut down and banned from being re-opened.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Sakurai secretly IS doing this to appeal to the anti-Ridley base of the Smash Bros. community. We were wrong all along: SAKURAI IS THE ORIGINAL TOOBIGOT. Not really.
Is there really an anti-Ridley community? I mean there was that guy who came here and got banned... and I guess much of Gamefaqs, but they don't really count since... well gamefaqs.

I think most people who don't support him are indifferent. Anyone who is actually makes "too big" arguments is probably doing it ironically.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is there really an anti-Ridley community? I mean there was that guy who came here and got banned... and I guess much of Gamefaqs, but they don't really count since... well gamefaqs.

I think most people who don't support him are indifferent. Anyone who is actually makes "too big" arguments is probably doing it ironically.
I see a lot of people jump on the Ridley bandwagon just to keep people from asking about it. I see some trolls here and there who are anti-Ridley, but other than that, no, not really, most people are indifferent to Ridley's inclusion.

majora_787

Smash Hero

You would be amazed at how many people don't make it ironically, aren't actually indifferent, and actually say these things because they don't want Ridley in the game or don't think he is possible for ridiculous reasons.

I know I was amazed in probably the worst way possible when I realized that. :Y Though maybe I should start pretending they're not being Shokio and are ACTUALLY indifferent and just being trolls.

EDIT: Here it seems mostly indifferent, but most websites I've gone to that aren't Smashboards haven't exactly been that way.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Not a community, but there are plenty of Ridley haters/detractors basically anywhere Smash is discussed. Here, on Gamefaqs, 4chan, NeoGAF (mainly in this place), etc.

Morbi

Scavenger

Of course; there are supporters and detractors for every character pertaining to Smash that you could possibly imagine.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Not a community, but there are plenty of Ridley haters/detractors basically anywhere Smash is discussed. Here, on Gamefaqs, 4chan, NeoGAF (mainly in this place), etc.
I don't really see why people are so against having him in Smash. Like...what's the issue? Is having a purple dragon fighting in Smash really that big of a deal to some people? Or do people think he would look weird in it or something? The only character that I thought really didn't "fit in" was Snake, and even then, I was fine with him and thought he was cool despite never knowing what Metal Gear was beforehand or knowing Snake existed. I think playing as an evil dragon and Samus's arch-nemesis would be cool, and more villains would be cool. Plus, he could be a polar opposite to Mac, amazing in air, terrible on ground. I dunno, can someone explain why he's such a hated character by some people?

*back to lurking this cool/funny thread*

Last edited:
Top Bottom