• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Has anyone got footage or pics of motherbrain when she appeared during that 1v1 that guy was doing at the treehouse you know he was DK.

also are these pictures accurate?

NRQaBdp.jpg

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
The issue is that the point of bosses is for players to need to do any work at all to defeat the boss and reap a benefit that assists in them winning the match. From what has been observed, there is *NOTHING* making Ridley nearly as difficult to content with as Yellow Devil. He is MUCH smaller, MUCH slower, and on a MUCH larger stage. And Ridley generally does not have "A weakpoint" like Yellow Devil, who has to be shot in a small location on his body to be defeated.

The only way this could be BALANCED OUT is if the reward for beating him was either absolutely *NOTHING* in order to give out what you need to put in to beat it, or for RIdley to just not be a boss, because being the size of Bowser and being slow as a character are not default bad things like they are here.
Being the size of Bowser or being slow are assumptions based upon a short amount of footage of his shadow. If he doesn't have a weakpoint like Yellow Devil, like I said, he could be balanced out by having higher defenses and more hit points.
And the issue with Pyrosphere isn't even the lava. Ridley takes up a 9th, maybe a 10th of Pyrosphere. Yellow Devil takes up more like a 3rd of Wily's Castle. We've got a serious difference in situations. One is a dangerous temporary problem, and the other is... almost as unassuming as his appearance on Planet Zebes. And if the platforms don't leave when he arrives? It's even WORSE. He flies around at a slow speed ANYONE could out-maneuver, is VERY small for a boss on a VERY large and open stage, and if he were at all accurate to his own appearances (Which he clearly is not), he wouldn't have a weak point. You could just FIRE AT WILL.

This would take LITTLE to NO effort to beat as a stage boss whatsoever unless he either had near un-avoidable attacks that attacked the entire stage which he used with a level of frequency, or had RIDICULOUS amounts of health. BUT if he has tons of health, how will he work? Not like Yellow Devil, who to my knowledge resets his health after he leaves if he isn't defeated fast enough.

So Bossley is just really poorly designed and disappointing, or poorly designed and impossible to deal with? This isn't a good set of options at all, and I *SERIOUSLY* do not believe Sakurai would handle this situation that poorly.
I don't even know how to address this when you're really running with a bunch of assumptions. Ridley being passive and unassuming? That's an assumption based on a short video clip. He doesn't need to have ridiculous amounts of health to be balanced, just a reasonable amount.

These aren't subspace bosses- they need to be killed reasonably quickly when they appear in the default 4-player 2 minute matches.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Being the size of Bowser or being slow are assumptions based upon a short amount of footage of his shadow. If he doesn't have a weakpoint like Yellow Devil, like I said, he could be balanced out by having higher defenses and more hit points.
I don't even know how to address this when you're really running with a bunch of assumptions. Ridley being passive and unassuming? That's an assumption based on a short video clip. He doesn't need to have ridiculous amounts of health to be balanced, just a reasonable amount.

These aren't subspace bosses- they need to be killed reasonably quickly when they appear in the default 4-player 2 minute matches.
Are you saying that Ridley functions *ENTIRELY* differently from Bowser and Pikachu in terms of lighting and velocity? We can COMPARE Ridley's Shadow and Bowser's Shadow from the SAME STAGE right next to one another. You seem to be saying that SOMEHOW, it is more likely that EVERY CHARACTER follows 100% different lighting rules than it is that Ridley is Bowser's size. I don't think you realize how ridiculous that is.

And then we can see Pikachu's *HALF WALK SPEED* next to RIDLEY'S FLYING SPEED in the footage, and literally compare them in the same shot. He is moving SLIGHTLY FASTER than the second slowest walking speed Pikachu can even muster.

Passive and unassuming is what happens when you have a small, slow-moving boss on a large stage. I have no idea how you can't even remotely fathom why a SMALL SLOW-MOVING BOSS ON A LARGE STAGE is passive and unassuming, especially after I have explained it *EXTREMELY* clearly several times.

And reasonably quickly does not mean "Having a projectile and/or the ability to double jump breaks this boss". That is not reasonably quickly. That's a farce. And I would HOPE you know that, but apparently you don't.

EDIT: Yes, Phazon. That is the comparison of Ridley's shadow on Pyrosphere to Pikachu on pyrosphere, Pikachu to Bowser, Bowser to Bowser and his own shadow on Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
What if we decide to argue about this for another 50 pages while barely managing to follow the forum rules and ultimately get nowhere with it?
This is a great idea! Why haven't we done that yet? Neary 900 pages and we haven't actually devoted 50 pages to an off-topic cyclical argument over something that isn't a valid concern to begin with?!?! I'm flabbergasted.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So have we discussed the possibilities of a Giant Smash on Pyrosphere? Poor Hazardley wouldn't be able to stand a chance in something like that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
So have we discussed the possibilities of a Giant Smash on Pyrosphere? Poor Hazardley wouldn't be able to stand a chance in something like that.
There's no way they kept Giant Smash. I mean, Ridley's only the size of Bowser! What if people played as FOUR GIANT BOWSERS? Game breaking! Can't be done. If Ridley's too big, that's just insanity. :p

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
He could arrive at any second, right? Well he hasn't in the approximate 28,166,400 seconds since we've seen Pyrosphere, and there is roughly 7,948,800 seconds left until the Japanese launch date. Sakurai has made us wait 78% of the time between Pyrosphere's reveal and the game's release and still no confirmation of Ridley's status. We got the tease in the Direct 22,550,400 seconds after Pyrosphere was revealed. Ridley has been on "life support" for 5,616,000 seconds. We are a patient bunch.

Each Second Reveal Chance: 1/ (36,115,200 - x)

x being the number of seconds past. (I'm bored)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He could arrive at any second, right? Well he hasn't in the approximate 28,166,400 seconds since we've seen Pyrosphere, and there is roughly 7,948,800 seconds left until the Japanese launch date. Sakurai has made us wait 78% of the time between Pyrosphere's reveal and the game's release and still no confirmation of Ridley's status. We got the tease in the Direct 22,550,400 seconds after Pyrosphere was revealed. Ridley has been on "life support" for 5,616,000 seconds. We are a patient bunch.
This post became inaccurate the moment you posted it.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Are you saying that Ridley functions *ENTIRELY* differently from Bowser and Pikachu in terms of lighting and velocity? We can COMPARE Ridley's Shadow and Bowser's Shadow from the SAME STAGE right next to one another. You seem to be saying that SOMEHOW, it is more likely that EVERY CHARACTER follows 100% different lighting rules than it is that Ridley is Bowser's size. I don't think you realize how ridiculous that is.

And then we can see Pikachu's *HALF WALK SPEED* next to RIDLEY'S FLYING SPEED in the footage, and literally compare them in the same shot. He is moving SLIGHTLY FASTER than the second slowest walking speed Pikachu can even muster.

Passive and unassuming is what happens when you have a small, slow-moving boss on a large stage. I have no idea how you can't even remotely fathom why a SMALL SLOW-MOVING BOSS ON A LARGE STAGE is passive and unassuming, especially after I have explained it *EXTREMELY* clearly several times.
Well first of all I'm going to say there's no reason to go and get insulting. My interpretation of the footage was different, and I know you disagree but the way you worded it is a bit uncalled for.

I've seen dozens of these shadow interpretations from both sides of the argument and I've seen them reach a couple of different conclusions. I concede that Ridley could be a playable size from looking at the shadow but I am not going to state that he is like it's a fact.
And no, I wasn't saying that Ridley functions differently when it comes to lighting and velocity, because that's just stupid.

Yes, Ridley wasn't exactly quick in the 10 seconds of footage we saw, but to assume that's how he would move throughout the entirety of this hypothetical boss fight? That's something we both know cannot be proven, and that's another assumption. That hasn't stopped you from hailing it as a fact so far, though. Could he be passive and unassuming? Maybe, but we did see him grapple Pikachu in the video. I assume he would have attacks that he could use from a range as well. Really it feels like you're making an assumption that these 10 seconds are exactly what a boss fight with Ridley in this game could be like.
And reasonably quickly does not mean "Having a projectile and/or the ability to double jump breaks this boss". That is not reasonably quickly. That's a farce. And I would HOPE you know that, but apparently you don't.
I don't want to sound rude, but I don't think you realize how many assumptions have to be made before you can reach the conclusion "if Ridley were a boss, he would be a total pushover."

I like to think I've been open minded about this whole thing and I've tried to not speak in absolutes but whatevs.

Morbi

Scavenger
I really appreciate the effort that you put into doing the math. I suppose that if we waited 78% of the time already that we do not have much to go. It is not much worse than dial-up loading if you think about it. If we could endure that, we can endure this.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai is the biggest troll ever. I could see Ridley being an unlockable secret... but the problem is he hinted Ridley was a stage boss. If he didn't do that in the first place, then we wouldn't have to worry about showing off Pyrosphere. Then even after release, people are going to get to Pyrosphere and see that Ridley isn't a stage boss, which kinda messes up the whole thing. Ridley probably has to be shown before release if he's playable.

I don't know... its really weird. Anyway, we'll see. Smash Direct in August maybe? :D

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sakurai is the biggest troll ever. I could see Ridley being an unlockable secret... but the problem is he hinted Ridley was a stage boss. If he didn't do that in the first place, then we wouldn't have to worry about showing off Pyrosphere. Then even after release, people are going to get to Pyrosphere and see that Ridley isn't a stage boss, which kinda messes up the whole thing. Ridley probably has to be shown before release if he's playable.

I don't know... its really weird. Anyway, we'll see. Smash Direct in August maybe? :D
I would think that by the time the games come out, Sakurai would be ready for people to figure out for themselves whether or not Ridley is a boss on the Pryosphere.

But then again, they won't have to. Because the 3DS version comes out first. We'll know the whole roster then.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I suppose that logic is feasible; that thought had not occurred to me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would think that by the time the games come out, Sakurai would be ready for people to figure out for themselves whether or not Ridley is a boss on the Pryosphere.

But then again, they won't have to. Because the 3DS version comes out first. We'll know the whole roster then.
Oh ****, I forgot. Damnit. So yeah, we might not get Ridley until release. 3DS first, and by the time Wii U comes out we'll know if Ridley is playable or not anyway.

I suppose that logic is feasible; that thought had not occurred to me.
Well, I ****ed up anyway, because Pyrosphere isn't in the 3DS game. (Actually we don't even know what the 3DS Metroid stage is yet.)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno why you guys are comparing him to Bowser. I'm pretty sure DK is bigger than Bowser in this game from the one video I've seen of both of them together. Although, I could just be wrong and bad.

We need more art, mon. Get on it.View attachment 16171
Comparing him to Bowser because that way we can reasonably compare Ridley's shadow to another character's shadow on Pyrosphere. From what I've found, we have the best picture of Bowser and his shadow in the air on Pyrosphere, though if there is a good one of Donkey Kong we could compare those as well.

It's a comparison to Bowser just because it makes the accuracy much more... well. Accurate, and apparent.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys, there is one factor we need to look at that I believe helps Ridley.

Her.

Why do I propose this? Think about it, besides Ridley, she got teased the most by Sakurai (and this is not counting leaks of any kind) and not even all of it was potentially good. Take this PotD for example.

"Pic of the day. You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."

Kinda sounds like Palutena will just be part of the stage huh? Sure the quote specifies the statue, but without the hindsight it wasn't so obvious back then.

If we add this to the fact that Sakurai has never teased a character to any degree before deconfirmation, then I believe that Palutena's entrance bodes well for our dragon since he has received far more teasing and hinting then Palutena ever got.
Nice your right that stage introduction quote is simular to the pyrosphere introduction one.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a troll. he enjoys messing with fans, and he is clearly a easygoing person, as well as knowing what's up with the fanbase based on things he's done during presentations (Pseudo-Palutena, the various Mii's during the Digital Event), so I cannot see him cruelly leading us on for almost a year about Ridley only to pull the rug out from under us by revealing him as a stage hazard when he could've done that back in August or in the Smash Direct or at E3. No, Sakurai is not that guy.

We're getting Ridley, he would not have done any of the the teasing he has if we weren't getting Ridley.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai is a troll. he enjoys messing with fans, and he is clearly a easygoing person, as well as knowing what's up with the fanbase based on things he's done during presentations (Pseudo-Palutena, the various Mii's during the Digital Event), so I cannot see him cruelly leading us on for almost a year about Ridley only to pull the rug out from under us by revealing him as a stage hazard when he could've done that back in August or in the Smash Direct or at E3. No, Sakurai is not that guy.

We're getting Ridley, he would not have done any of the the teasing he has if we weren't getting Ridley.
I would hate to be that person, but technically he already "pulled the rug out from under us" during the Direct. :upsidedown:

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Ridley will totally be an amiibo only character.
that would make the "he can appear at any second" thingy true because of how those things work

majora_787

Smash Hero
Not necessarily, it might take time for people to unlock everything in the game. Granted, there's always the review copies, someone with a review copy is bound to leak the entire roster to the internet.
I am pretty someone will get a copy of the game slightly early and we have a good chance we will know the roster by the time the release date rolls around if not by the end of that exact day.

Moral of the story is, as soon as it's September 1st? ALWAYS be prepared for the roster leak at ALL TIMES. You never know when it'll happen in the first two weeks.

Could appear at any second, if you will. ;D

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ridley will totally be an amiibo only character.
that would make the "he can appear at any second" thingy true because of how those things work
I think the secret/DLC characters will be released as Amiibos a few months after the game releases. They're all going to come in spades instead of at once. That said, even if Ridley ISN'T playable in Smash Bros. there's still a high chance of him getting an Amiibo anyway.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'll totally buy a Ridley amiibo even if it did nothing.
Of course it'll do something. You can use it to train your playable Ridley, and also throw it at Ridley haters. :3

I'm not actually condoning wasting a Ridley amiibo on that

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Comparing him to Bowser because that way we can reasonably compare Ridley's shadow to another character's shadow on Pyrosphere. From what I've found, we have the best picture of Bowser and his shadow in the air on Pyrosphere, though if there is a good one of Donkey Kong we could compare those as well.

It's a comparison to Bowser just because it makes the accuracy much more... well. Accurate, and apparent.
Ah, I see. I was under the assumption you guys were comparing them because they're both giant reptiles, and Bowser is historically the largest Smash character. Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't see that logic.

I think the secret/DLC characters will be released as Amiibos a few months after the game releases. They're all going to come in spades instead of at once. That said, even if Ridley ISN'T playable in Smash Bros. there's still a high chance of him getting an Amiibo anyway.
I'd buy a Ridley amiibo. Why doesn't Nintendo make a figure, for like, everything. I'd buy a figure for the most obscure crap!

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure only playable characters will get amiibo.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Sakurai has talked about how he gets so many character requests from all over the world.

If Chorus Men are in the game (Which they pretty much are) and Ridley isn't, I guess Sakurai went deaf.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Amiibos for literally every character to ever appear in any Nintendo game confirmed. Challengers approaching: Duck Hunt Duck, Armon Ritter, Gage, Ferrocrusher, and Shiny Petey Piranha.

If you know all of those bosses you get a brownie.

EDIT: Amiibos were confirmed to work with Wii U titles in general from here forward. It's just that not all of them will be applicable to SSB4 particularly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom