• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm pretty sure only playable characters will get amiibo.
It was confirmed that all Smash Bros. playable characters will get an Amiibo, but it seemed to imply they wouldn't be the only ones. Since Ridley is the next-most iconic Metroid character, he'll probably get one eventually even if he's not playable.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the secret/DLC characters will be released as Amiibos a few months after the game releases. They're all going to come in spades instead of at once. That said, even if Ridley ISN'T playable in Smash Bros. there's still a high chance of him getting an Amiibo anyway.
I really hope this doesn't happen, because I am willing to buy DLC characters, but I am not buying any amiibos. If they want to release DLC for Smash Bros, do it the usual way, releasing it on the virtual shop.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wait, we haven't used Bowser's buffed flame breath to talk about Ridley's nuetral B, right? That should start happening.
Oh man, that wasn't just me? Bowser's flame breath looks kind of ridiculous now. Though I imagine Ridley would use something more like Water Shuriken and less like Fire Breath. That is to say, alternating between large fireballs and small quick fire bursts or whatever.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really hope this doesn't happen, because I am willing to buy DLC characters, but I am not buying any amiibos. If they want to release DLC for Smash Bros, do it the usual way, releasing it on the virtual shop.
No, you're not getting what I'm saying. I mean for when Ridley appears in other games. They stated that the Amiibos work in multiple games, but only work in games where that character is playable. As such, if Ridley isn't playable in Smash Bros., his Amiibo wouldn't work in Smash Bros., but it could work in future games where Ridley is available (such as in future Metroid games). These things will work in different ways.

Either way I still think Ridley is playable anyway so it doesn't matter at this point. :p

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure Jaidyn didn't mean buying the amiibo to unlock DLC.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Oh man, that wasn't just me? Bowser's flame breath looks kind of ridiculous now. Though I imagine Ridley would use something more like Water Shuriken and less like Fire Breath. That is to say, alternating between large fireballs and small quick fire bursts or whatever.
That's the kind of thing I was thinking too. It's more about how good Bowser's is, particularly the range, meaning Ridley's might be more powerful than we were expecting.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's the kind of thing I was thinking too. It's more about how good Bowser's is, particularly the range, meaning Ridley's might be more powerful than we were expecting.
I'd think Ridley's would explode like they do in Other M if you charge them up. That'd be pretty great.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
It's all an INSANELY elaborate coincidence. All of it. *ALL* just an INSANELY elaborate coincidence with NO forethought or planning on ANYONE'S part. It's sheer coincidence that Ridley is The Exception for literally no reason.

This is more likely than Ridley being playable. Somehow. How? Nobody knows yet, but the detractors have had a long time to work on having a valid answer. They might have one ready for us in time for the August direct.
The answer is gonna be "Is just a coincidence, you are in denial"

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's all an INSANELY elaborate coincidence. All of it. *ALL* just an INSANELY elaborate coincidence with NO forethought or planning on ANYONE'S part. It's sheer coincidence that Ridley is The Exception for literally no reason.

This is more likely than Ridley being playable. Somehow. How? Nobody knows yet, but the detractors have had a long time to work on having a valid answer. They might have one ready for us in time for the August direct.
Just as coincidental as leaking Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac, getting all of them right, then coming back and leaking the name "Mii Fighter" and previously having leaked "Chorus Men" and us also finding out that Rhythm Heaven characters are in Smash Run...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just as coincidental as leaking Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac, getting all of them right, then coming back and leaking the name "Mii Fighter" and previously having leaked "Chorus Men" and us also finding out that Rhythm Heaven characters are in Smash Run...
It's all an elaborate coincidence and everyone is in denial. Look at everything at 100% face value, ESPECIALLY when it's obvious that something else is going on. Ignore logic. Ignore reason. It deceives and lies to you. Become legion.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Wait, the last two came from the same source as the others?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sakurai is a troll. he enjoys messing with fans, and he is clearly a easygoing person, as well as knowing what's up with the fanbase based on things he's done during presentations (Pseudo-Palutena, the various Mii's during the Digital Event), so I cannot see him cruelly leading us on for almost a year about Ridley only to pull the rug out from under us by revealing him as a stage hazard when he could've done that back in August or in the Smash Direct or at E3. No, Sakurai is not that guy.

We're getting Ridley, he would not have done any of the the teasing he has if we weren't getting Ridley.
Actually, in regards to the Miis in the Digital Event, I believe I read that the people that some of the Miis shown were based on (Lincoln, for example) were chosen because Sakurai saw requests for those people on Miiverse.

If Sakurai was able to notice requests for Lincoln on Miiverse, there's no way he doesn't know about the requests for Ridley. He very well may even know about the extreme controversy surrounding Ridley.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Man you guys, I came back here, and from your talk it sounded like sal leaked Ridley recently.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly. Bravo.

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually, in regards to the Miis in the Digital Event, I believe I read that the people that some of the Miis shown were based on (Lincoln, for example) were chosen because Sakurai saw requests for those people on Miiverse.

If Sakurai was able to notice requests for Lincoln on Miiverse, there's no way he doesn't know about the requests for Ridley. He very well may even know about the extreme controversy surrounding Ridley.
I suppose; I would not necessarily assert that Lincoln was one of the requests that he would have HAD to notice though. I mean... we got Ice-T. No doubt he knows about Ridley or Mewtwo's requests. Miiverse loves talking about Ridley and Mewtwo, do they not? Other than that, even if he was somehow not aware of Ridley's requests, someone interviewed him about it after Brawl.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
It's all an elaborate coincidence and everyone is in denial. Look at everything at 100% face value, ESPECIALLY when it's obvious that something else is going on. Ignore logic. Ignore reason. It deceives and lies to you. Become legion.
Legion.

Multiple entities in the same host.

Reapers.

Shepard

COMMANDER SHEPARD CONFIRMED.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Legion.

Multiple entities in the same host.

Reapers.

Shepard

COMMANDER SHEPARD CONFIRMED.
Two Shepards and Reapers make three words with 6 letters... COMMANDER SHEPARDLEY FOR HALF LIFE 3.

Embrace Half-Life 3. Ignorance is the warmest embrace the Smash Community can offer. Accept it as a legion child to its legion mother.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Man you guys, I came back here, and from your talk it sounded like sal leaked Ridley recently.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly. Bravo.
If Sal leaked Ridley we'd be seeing the Chorus Men singing as Ridley is eating Chrom's head and Shulk is trying to run away

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I suppose; I would not necessarily assert that Lincoln was one of the requests that he would have HAD to notice though. I mean... we got Ice-T. No doubt he knows about Ridley or Mewtwo's requests. Miiverse loves talking about Ridley and Mewtwo, do they not? Other than that, even if he was somehow not aware of Ridley's requests, someone interviewed him about it after Brawl.
Well, I suppose the most important thing we can draw from all this is that it is practically impossible for Sakurai to not be aware of the demand and controversy surrounding Ridley, and thus, the way he's been keeping Ridley hidden, with no absolute confirmation of what his role in the game is, would make little sense if Ridley is simply a stage hazard and nothing more.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, I suppose the most important thing we can draw from all this is that it is practically impossible for Sakurai to not be aware of the demand and controversy surrounding Ridley, and thus, the way he's been keeping Ridley hidden, with no absolute confirmation of what his role in the game is, would make little sense if Ridley is simply a stage hazard and nothing more.
Of course; I was just saying Ice-T > Lincoln. But seriously, if he was aware of the controversy that he "inadvertently" conceived, surely he would clarify. However, he is not going to do that (as it would not be oh so simple to re-reveal a boss character).

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
I'd personally be quite content with the Sal leak characters. Chorus Men seems like a cool idea if it's really a three in one character like Ice Climbers (who are obviously just 2), Shulk is neat too I guess.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Shulk is not nearly as interesting as Ridley. Just saying; he does have one positive aspect over Ridley, his accent.
Obviously he isn't nearly as interesting as Ridley (or K. Rool), but as far as characters from new IPs are concerned, he is the most interesting, in my opinion.
If that's true then that would prove that there could be more character that haven't been leaked. IF the leak's real that is.
Well, the existence of Rosalina in Smash already proves Sal doesn't know/doesn't want to leak every character in the game.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Of course; I was just saying Ice-T > Lincoln. But seriously, if he was aware of the controversy that he "inadvertently" conceived, surely he would clarify. However, he is not going to do that (as it would not be oh so simple to re-reveal a boss character).
Oh, that reminds me. If I recall correctly, there was another instance where he created controversy amongst the community regarding a de-confirmation: the reveal of the Ashley Assist Trophy. When the picture and comment first came up on the website and Miiverse, many people thought that she was actually a playable character. Sakurai then responded to this with an additional comment that clarified that she was an Assist Trophy.

So it would seem Sakurai prefers to avoid creating unnecessary controversy. Yet despite the incredible amount of controversy surrounding Ridley after the Direct, he never bothered mentioning it again.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
The one thing that gives me the most hope for Ridley's play-ability is that we know he knows of Ridley. That interview Nintendo Power had with Sakurai mentioned Ridley, the infinite trolling when he usually is very direct about deconfirming, and perhaps the best evidence is that he put Little Mac in. Little Mac, who the west wanted the most. After Ridley that is. If knows about Little Mac, he knows about Ridley. If he is not in, Sakurai will have some serious explaining to do.

Top Bottom